Darkstar One Demo

The promised English playable demo for Darkstar One is now available, offering the chance to sample Ascaron's science fiction RPG. Word is: "The all-new demo (~950 MB) contains a huge variety of worlds, equipment upgrades and alien races, offering the player an estimated two+ hours of gameplay. The demo also contains an extensive tutorial that follows the story line direct from the full retail game. As with the full game, the demo offers players the opportunity to play in free-form mode, creating their own adventure on-the-fly, or follow the storyline to learn more about the death of the lead character's father, and the mysterious ship, the DarkStar One." The 919 MB download debuted on GameSpot (registration required), and is now also available on the official website, 3D Gamers, Boomtown, Computer Games, Filecloud, FileFront, FileNuts, Gameworld Network, Gamer's Hell, VGPRO, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Not a bad game.
Jul 4, 2006, 03:28
Ant

Not a bad game. Jul 4, 2006, 03:28
Jul 4, 2006, 03:28
 Ant

I played the game demo a bit. It wasn't bad. Graphics weren't the best. The cutscenes were nice. But somehow, the gameplay was old. Cargos, training, battles, etc.

Re: Same ol
Jul 2, 2006, 00:43
Re: Same ol Jul 2, 2006, 00:43
Jul 2, 2006, 00:43

Ah, Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic.
Man, I LOVED that game. They kind of did a rip off with the characters though. I mean seriously, the sigourney weaver clone, and the arnold clone, lol.
Anyways, I waited years for Sentinel Worlds 2 (and sequels) and never got them.
Only Hard Nova, which seemed to be in the same universe, but wasn't quite as good.
Anyways, didn't Karl Buiter's also make EOS? Loved that one too. Sad that he's no longer making space (added for clarity) games though.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 00:50.

Re: No subject
Jul 1, 2006, 15:33
Re: No subject Jul 1, 2006, 15:33
Jul 1, 2006, 15:33

I have the shield flux and the energy flux devices installed and the keys up arrow, down arrow, left arrow, right arrow on the keypad and the direction pad dont work to transfer engery from weapons to shields nor to transfer shields from front to back. WTF?

Jul 1, 2006, 15:12
Re: No subject Jul 1, 2006, 15:12
Jul 1, 2006, 15:12

I can't run this game on my peice of crap computer but all this talk has made me want to play I-Wars 2, I think a buddy of mine has it so I'm going to go grab it.

I really, really enjoyed Freespace 2 about a year ago, I thought it was a blast. I understand that I-War uses Newtonian physics which I'm sure I can adapt to. After all, I played 'Asteroids' back in the day....

Jul 1, 2006, 14:23
Re: No subject Jul 1, 2006, 14:23
Jul 1, 2006, 14:23

id like to play this, but the engine is such a peice of garbage that i doubt i will... performance is decidely horrible even on the lowest possible settings

Yeh, the performance is kind of disapointing. It would be one thing if the graphics were bleeding edge, but they're not. The models aren't THAT great looking, there aren't that many "cool" effects.

I'm not saying it my rig should run it like hot butter, but nowhere near as bad considering the graphics. AMD X2 4400+, 2GBRam, nVidia 7800GT

However, it did get me to install Freelancer again.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
This comment was edited on Jul 1, 14:42.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Jul 1, 2006, 02:46
Re: No subject Jul 1, 2006, 02:46
Jul 1, 2006, 02:46

"Is this more like Freelancer or more like IW2? I've been itching on a good space sim since IW2 .. could this be it?"

More like Freelancer. If you think of space combat games as falling into "arcade" (Starlancer, Freelancer, Wing Commander, Tachyon) and "sim" (Freespace, I-War, X-Wing) it's in the "arcade" catagory. I think a cross between Freelancer and Tachyon is a pretty good way of describing it.

On WoW - Sixis - 60 Paladin of Azure Brigade (Garona)

Jul 1, 2006, 01:13
Re: No subject Jul 1, 2006, 01:13
Jul 1, 2006, 01:13

Just played for a couple of hours. I was enjoying it until I got to a mission that was kicking my ass. I couldn't figure out a way to abandon the mission, so I quit the game. The cut scenes were choppy on my machine, but the actual game was fine. I didn't care much for the voice acting, either, so I started skipping the cut scenes.

I won't be buying it, since it's not my type of game. I may try the demo again after a bit... that mission just annoyed me (it's one where you have to kill two pirates as soon as you jump in to a system in Hu).

For what it's worth, I'm playing on a AMD64 4200+ dual core with a 6800 (non ultra, only 128 megs of memory) and 1 gig of memory.

No subject
Jun 30, 2006, 22:29
No subject Jun 30, 2006, 22:29
Jun 30, 2006, 22:29

id like to play this, but the engine is such a peice of garbage that i doubt i will... performance is decidely horrible even on the lowest possible settings

while my PC isnt super cutting edge, ive been able to play all other modern games with ease... so its definately a software issue IMO

too bad

Jun 30, 2006, 22:02
Re: Same ol Jun 30, 2006, 22:02
Jun 30, 2006, 22:02

For you old Schoolers, remember Sun Dog? What about Star Flight, Space Rogue or even Sentinnel Worlds? These all had this element and it worked great. Until this happens, this game and many others like it, are more of the same with a prettier face.

Nothing has even come close to the glory of Starflight and Sentinel Worlds.

Starflight and its 'universe' were just mind-blowing, and Sentinel Worlds... well boarding hostile ships is still the best tactic ever.

If someone went back and made a 3D version of Sentinel Worlds, with ground combat to-boot, I'd be a happy claim.

I've downloaded this demo, haven't gotten to it yet (work), but Titans Quest is just bleh. Locking a camera in a 3D world should be an option for those too uncoordinated to control it (like..VE's Apache!) heh.

Jun 30, 2006, 20:18
Re: No subject Jun 30, 2006, 20:18
Jun 30, 2006, 20:18

Is this more like Freelancer or more like IW2? I've been itching on a good space sim since IW2 .. could this be it?

Jun 30, 2006, 19:47
nin
Re: No subject Jun 30, 2006, 19:47
Jun 30, 2006, 19:47
nin

First impression: Reminds me a LOT of Freelancer. Specifically the menus when you're at the starting base...that's not bad, but if someone had showed me the game w/o a title, I would have swore I was playing FL2...flight is also a lot like FL...

Graphics are nice, but seem a bit on the piggish side...based on what I'm seeing on screen, I'm not why I'm seeing a bit of chugging. Runing @ 10x7, I went from 4xAA to 2X, and that seemed to help. Still slow down here and there, though...

Overall, not bad...I could see spending $30 on it...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

Jun 30, 2006, 19:40
Re: No subject Jun 30, 2006, 19:40
Jun 30, 2006, 19:40

BTW: I think you're better off using a mouse instead of a joystick in this game, aiming and UI use is just designed for the mouse really... I think a joystick would just cramp your style.

OK...that just killed the game for me entirely. If it is a mouser, then screw it; flight/spacesims use joysticks, damnit!

Jun 30, 2006, 19:37
Re: Same ol Jun 30, 2006, 19:37
Jun 30, 2006, 19:37

SR...hehe...I still remember those wormholes...took me 'bout a week before I got through my first one After that they were easy though, strangely enough.

As for this game; I'm definitely getting the demo...let's see if this is worth my cash/time. But according to you guys, it seems to be

Jun 30, 2006, 18:41
Re: Same ol Jun 30, 2006, 18:41
Jun 30, 2006, 18:41

Parkan II's been in developement forever! I mean, I bought the first game way back in '98 and the sequel had been announced and in production for a little time before that. It's cool to see it's going to eventually come out, though.

Again guys, just like Titan Quest, you are all easily entertained.

He says as he is downloading it on bittorrent.

No widescreen
Jun 30, 2006, 18:39
No widescreen Jun 30, 2006, 18:39
Jun 30, 2006, 18:39

No widescreen support, fack. Performance is questionable, downright picture frames inside the asteriod. Lip-sinc on video screen inside ship is brutal. Graphics are a little cartoony, but thats ok they look good. Everything else was good. I like how you can fly close to the planet and burn up if you get too close. Mouse control worked well, had no problems dusting the pirates. Overall looks like it will be a good game but no widescreen, bad performance I'll pass on this one.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Jun 30, 2006, 17:58
Re: Same ol Jun 30, 2006, 17:58
Jun 30, 2006, 17:58

This is what you are looking for http://www.parkan.ru/p2en/screenshots.php Parkan II offer space combat, FPS segments in the ships, space stations and on the surface of the planets, RTS elements and more and more... It's rather decent.
btw: DarkStar One is great.. playing it whole week and so far loving it
This comment was edited on Jun 30, 18:03.

Re: my review of the demo
Jun 30, 2006, 17:53
Re: my review of the demo Jun 30, 2006, 17:53
Jun 30, 2006, 17:53

"Use the mouse wheel scrolling for throttle changing. "

Ahhh, thanks! That will help a lot!

On WoW - Sixis - 60 Paladin of Azure Brigade (Garona)

No subject
Jun 30, 2006, 17:29
No subject Jun 30, 2006, 17:29
Jun 30, 2006, 17:29

Ugh, I dunno, I really want to like this game, I was even looking at joysticks again... but so far I'm not convinced.

The story is so so I guess, nothing special from my first looks but then I'm not invested in it yet...

The graphics are not that good imo, I don't like the style (too cartoony) and technical performance is really not that great for what they deliver (I get this random stutter 50% of the time, I'll try upgrading my drivers but they're very recent).

The gameplay itself then, I dunno, I liked the combat in Freespace 2 a lot better really, the titanic ships, the huge ion beams and such... Also, the darkstar is kind of a dorky ship imo, and it's my understanding you're stuck with it for the entire game.

So yeah I'm still on the fence, I'll put some more time into it I guess.

BTW: I think you're better off using a mouse instead of a joystick in this game, aiming and UI use is just designed for the mouse really... I think a joystick would just cramp your style.

Same ol
Jun 30, 2006, 17:26
Same ol Jun 30, 2006, 17:26
Jun 30, 2006, 17:26

Again guys, just like Titan Quest, you are all easily entertained.

While I have not played the demo yet, and the X series is already doin this, what bums me out is that this game, or these types of games, have zero RPG elements to them. They also never allow you to get out of your ship to interact with a planet, starbase or another ship.

Imagine a game like this, or the X series, and having a cool first person perspective when you go to bases. You can walk around, maybe even hire people to watch your ship, be your crew, body guards. Why is this so hard to do?

Derek Smart has tried this, too bad his execution is so bad, but he is the only person trying to implement a realistic environment.

For you old Schoolers, remember Sun Dog? What about Star Flight, Space Rogue or even Sentinnel Worlds? These all had this element and it worked great. Until this happens, this game and many others like it, are more of the same with a prettier face.

That doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, but....

Re:
Jun 30, 2006, 16:48
Re: Jun 30, 2006, 16:48
Jun 30, 2006, 16:48

As was mentioned you do get to fly through an asteroid which is cool but to be honest I did that in Starglider 2 back in the 80s or was it the 90's? I forget.

The asteroid in the 90's would've looked like a reasonable facimile of an asteroid, the one from the 80's would've looked like a cube. you can't remember?...lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please help me, won't you please help? Please?
http://tinyurl.com/phknc
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older