Out of the Blue

Hudson the wonder dog is progressing quite well in treating her relapse of Lyme Disease, her limp subsided after just a couple of days on her antibiotics. On thing we learned from the experience is just how willful the little Gunnar-man can be, as it is rare that anything provokes this side of him. Provoke it I did, however, when I took Hudson out to the car to bring her to the vet last week. It is difficult to convey the sound it made as the crazed poodle proceed to throw his body against the door repeatedly demonstrating his displeasure at being left behind. If I though that was a sign of his feelings, that was nothing compared to the giant dump he left for me… in my office, no less, in case I was tempted to mistake this for nature's call, rather than nature's wrath.

R.I.P.: Tim Hildebrandt Memorial.

Dumpy Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Stories: Doctors call for 'fat tax' on Coca-Cola and Pepsi. Thanks Eye 4N Eye.
Science!: Why fast foods are bad, even in moderation.
A Sixth Sense for a Wired World. Thanks Trevor.
Can Twins Have Two Fathers? Thanks Jim.
Media: Castle Color Illusion.
Flying Car.
Teh Funny: FoxTrot.
View : : :
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No
Jun 15, 2006, 18:56
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 15, 2006, 18:56
Jun 15, 2006, 18:56

That's sad, but I'm glad he's ok. Kudos to you.

Yeah, he's alright.

http://www.cvanepps.com/?p=658

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 18:56.

Jun 14, 2006, 19:55
nin
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 14, 2006, 19:55
Jun 14, 2006, 19:55
nin

I've taken over the caretaking duties of my brother's dog, Jake, a border collie/lab mix, 11 years old. Jake's a cancer survivor and had to have his left front leg removed. He seems cool with it, though. He's a great pooch de la nooch!

That's sad, but I'm glad he's ok. Kudos to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

Jun 14, 2006, 18:18
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 14, 2006, 18:18
Jun 14, 2006, 18:18

You're probably all better off reading the clearly superior "Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich" by William L. Shirer.

I'm currently on page 100 of this tome and it's so very rich! Shirer talks about 16th-18th century German History, Martin Luther, etc., a period I knew absolutely nothing about. Knowledge rawks!

Getting back to the topic of dogs...

I've taken over the caretaking duties of my brother's dog, Jake, a border collie/lab mix, 11 years old. Jake's a cancer survivor and had to have his left front leg removed. He seems cool with it, though. He's a great pooch de la nooch!

Re: dogs life
Jun 14, 2006, 18:03
Re: dogs life Jun 14, 2006, 18:03
Jun 14, 2006, 18:03

While dominance issues are indeed the root of many dog behavior problems, it does not cover everything, and it is not the case here (I am indeed the alpha dog in the house). A dog does not have to fancy himself top dog to express his unhappinesss over being left alone.

Thats good, it was not the freaking out in the car that I saw as an issue as much as the crap on the floor. Did you go back to the car and stop gunner from spazing out when you saw it? It would be the first thing I would have done, and becuase it seemed you didnt gunner may have taken it as an sign to try for top dog and shit in your office (a challenge). Of course after the dump I'm sure he knows his place now

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

No subject
Jun 14, 2006, 16:40
No subject Jun 14, 2006, 16:40
Jun 14, 2006, 16:40

QUIT posting wired.com links.

Hudson
Jun 13, 2006, 21:43
Hudson Jun 13, 2006, 21:43
Jun 13, 2006, 21:43

Damn Blue, I didn't know your doggie suffered from Lyme

My condolences. I'm glad she's recovering on the antibiotics though. Hope she'll get well

Creston

Re: hmm
Jun 13, 2006, 21:38
Re: hmm Jun 13, 2006, 21:38
Jun 13, 2006, 21:38

Trippin' the light fantastic.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 21:38.

hmm
Jun 13, 2006, 21:16
hmm Jun 13, 2006, 21:16
Jun 13, 2006, 21:16

Too much big boy talk in here for me.

After 8 hours of work and 4 hours of LE skills scenarios, I need some gaming talk.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.
This comment was edited on Jun 13, 21:17.

Jun 13, 2006, 20:35
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 20:35

but was (and this is obvious) seriously demented.

Yeah, I always seriously wondered what would have happened had he been admitted to Academy of Fine Arts Vienna. A big what if?

You're probably all better off reading the clearly superior "Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich" by William L. Shirer.

I actually read that in the 8th grade. I didn't understand a lot of what I was reading, mind you, but later one when I picked it up again it struck me how profound that book actually was!

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 20:37.

nin
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 20:35
nin

You're probably all better off reading the clearly superior "Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich" by William L. Shirer. It's pretty long, but it gives a more comprehensive look at the inner workings of the 3rd Reich and Hitler.

Wow! Over 1200 pages, according to Amazon...

I might check that out at some point...Thank you!

GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

Jun 13, 2006, 19:24
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 19:24
Jun 13, 2006, 19:24

NiN and anyone else interested in Hitler,

You're probably all better off reading the clearly superior "Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich" by William L. Shirer. It's pretty long, but it gives a more comprehensive look at the inner workings of the 3rd Reich and Hitler. Covers more than history classes have time (or desire) to as well. He was an incredible speech maker, but was (and this is obvious) seriously demented. You get a good picture of why he was so anti-Semitic, even if you don't agree with it.

Edited for Clarity
This comment was edited on Jun 13, 19:29.

Jun 13, 2006, 19:06
nin
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 19:06
Jun 13, 2006, 19:06
nin

Has anyone here read it (apart from Kootur)?

No. Like you, I think I'd like to for my own education.

I'd be curious to read it, but would feel bad doing so. The same thing with that book Tim McVeigh put out years ago - I'd like to read it, not because I'm interested in the guy, but because I'd honestly like to know how a person who serves their country can get to a point where, in their own mind, the idea of blowing up a building with children inside seems like "a good idea"...

Seriously, how do you get that fucked up?

The problem for me is I can't bring myself to read those books. People like that, that want to spew hatred and malice? I couldn't bear to give them a moment of my time. They don't deserve it. I'd much rather read about people that changed the world in a good way. People that inspire others. People that beat the odds.

But that's just me...

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 19:09.

Jun 13, 2006, 19:03
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 19:03
Jun 13, 2006, 19:03

Yeah, it was required reading for one of my University courses. Aside from the obvious, it wasn't really that interesting. I'd say he was a much better speaker than he was writer.

Jun 13, 2006, 18:59
Enahs

Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 18:59
Jun 13, 2006, 18:59
 Enahs

The thing is, I'd actually quite like to read Mein Kampf. No, I don't harbour any Nazi sympathy, quite the opposite. But the series of events that unfolded back then, and the doctrines it was based on are, today, incredible in the sense that it's hard to imagine how anyone fell for them, much less how someone could actually come up with them. I find that one of the most interesting bits of a very interesting period of history, and one day would like to expand my knowledge over and above the Wikipedia entry .

I hear that not only is his writing, but speeches in their original German form are very powerful, emotional and inspiring, not because of what he says but how well he says it. He was apparently an excellent speaker and writer; but the “beauty” of his technical prowess in spoken and written word is lost in translation due to the major grammatical difference in English and German.

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
This comment was edited on Jun 13, 19:00.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Jun 13, 2006, 18:27
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 18:27
Jun 13, 2006, 18:27

No. Like you, I think I'd like to for my own education.

There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.

I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Jun 13, 2006, 18:25
Re: Mein Kampf Quotes - Bad or No Jun 13, 2006, 18:25
Jun 13, 2006, 18:25

The thing is, I'd actually quite like to read Mein Kampf. No, I don't harbour any Nazi sympathy, quite the opposite. But the series of events that unfolded back then, and the doctrines it was based on are, today, incredible in the sense that it's hard to imagine how anyone fell for them, much less how someone could actually come up with them. I find that one of the most interesting bits of a very interesting period of history, and one day would like to expand my knowledge over and above the Wikipedia entry :).

Jun 13, 2006, 17:30
Enahs

Re: dogs life Jun 13, 2006, 17:30
Jun 13, 2006, 17:30
 Enahs

I heard something about a lawsuit against that guy. (Allegedly) A dog owner dropped his dog off with the guy, and was later called and told his dog was now at the vet. When he arrived at the vet, the dog was bleeding from the nose, and (I believe) the vet said it almost look like he'd been strangled or drug by his collar. The Dog Whisperer said that he put the dog on a treadmill "to wear him out"...

I have seen him do the tread mill thing on one of the shows (I have only seen a couple, while it is entertaining to see stupid people be taught how to care for a dog, it is not really that entertaining).

I know nothing about the situation, nor do I feel any real desire to defend him….but to be fair, the guy trains thousands of dogs. During the show if he has to take a dog to his training facility he always has over 50 damn dogs it seems. I am sure occasionally a dog gets injured, but I doubt it is ever own purpose. I mean they are just like little children, you can not explain why something is bad or good for them and sometimes it takes tuff love. And, to be prejudices the guy is a Hollywood producer, no doubt he is a girly man and over reacted. Sometimes the best way to teach a child not to play around the stove is to let him burn him selves.

Either way, everything I have ever seen him do in the show was pretty much teach people common sense and the most fundamental things about dogs.

And if 1 out only one out of 1,000 out of control dogs gets a small injury, he is probably doing a damn good job then.

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
- W. C. Fields

Jun 13, 2006, 17:25
Re: dogs life Jun 13, 2006, 17:25
Jun 13, 2006, 17:25

A dog does not have to fancy himself top dog to express his unhappinesss over being left alone.

Our dog will pull over a garbage can (just one) and scatter the contents if left alone sometimes in the house. We always leave her in the back yard now.

She once pulled our master bedroom garbage can out into the living room area and left it in the middle of the floor. Upright. With all the contents still inside.

Don't ask me why or how. Only she knows.

There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.

I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Jun 13, 2006, 17:23
Enahs

Re: dogs life Jun 13, 2006, 17:23
 Enahs

A dog does not have to fancy himself top dog to express his unhappinesss over being left alone.

How do you know he was unhappy? Perhaps he was so damn happy to finely be away from you that he was filled with so much joy he could just not contain him self?

Yes, it is clear. Your dog hates you Blue. I can tell this from just one OotB and one post from you talking about your dog; and I am not even the Dog Whisper(er?). Yep, absolutely hates you and is filled with joy the minute you leave.

It is probably your hygiene, you do know dogs have a really good sense of smell, right?

- W. C. Fields

nin
Re: dogs life Jun 13, 2006, 17:23
nin

I had never heard of the Dog Whisper(er?), but after seeing that episode I checked out a few episodes of the actual Dog Whisper(er?) and it never ceased to amaze me, and he kept saying it over and over. He was not training the dogs, but training the people how to be the pact leader.

I heard something about a lawsuit against that guy. (Allegedly) A dog owner dropped his dog off with the guy, and was later called and told his dog was now at the vet. When he arrived at the vet, the dog was bleeding from the nose, and (I believe) the vet said it almost look like he'd been strangled or drug by his collar.

Scary...

edit: Found the link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12648003/

edit again: reviewed the link, modified text

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 17:25.
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older