Oblivion Patch Soon

Oblivion Patch Next Week on 1UP has word from Bethesda Softworks to expect the first patch for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion next week to address bugs and other issues. The update for the RPG sequel will be released for both PCs and Xbox 360, and Bethesda is said to be considering options on how to get the console patch to heathens with no access to Xbox Live!
View : : :
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: ...
Jun 9, 2006, 12:26
Re: ... Jun 9, 2006, 12:26
Jun 9, 2006, 12:26

I think many of us feel similarly. Oblivion is a fun game but the gameplay gets wayyyy too generic after about 20 hours. Still a fun game and worth the $$. I agree with another poster that the RPG quests and general quality of writing are aimed at a 15 years-old gamer. There's room for a game with more mature themes without it also being a superficial sex-romp.

Jun 9, 2006, 10:04
... Jun 9, 2006, 10:04
Jun 9, 2006, 10:04

I'd rather invest in the stock market than mess about with shit scams like this... actually, my virtual shares went up £50 today. If my virtual shares actually hold up well I might invest £1000 and try to do it seriously - the thing is as long as you are prepared to lose all the money you invest then there is no problem doing it... if you expect or need it to make money then you are just asking for trouble.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Re: Work on the Internet
Jun 9, 2006, 09:24
nin
Re: Work on the Internet Jun 9, 2006, 09:24
Jun 9, 2006, 09:24
nin

Let me give you a summary of Jeff's post, in Jeff's own words.

this must be a scam

Jeff, please take a razor blade and cut down the length of your inner arm, from your wrist to your elbow. Then repeat on the other arm...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.nin.com/

Work on the Internet
Jun 9, 2006, 07:51
Work on the Internet Jun 9, 2006, 07:51
Jun 9, 2006, 07:51

IF YOU EVER WONDERED IF IT'S POSSIBLE TO MAKE ONLINE AND DO SO SURPRISINGLY FAST-THEN YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS STORY.INFACT YOU'LL REALLY LOVE THE PART ABOUT BEEN GUARANTEED THIS CAN WORK FOR ANYONE. TURN $12 INTO $25,000 or More USING EGOLD (www.e-gold.com) READING THIS COULD CHANGE YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE! IT REALLY DOES WORK!

I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it. This awesome concept is 100% legal (refer to US Lottery Laws, Title 18, Section 1302 and 1341, or Title 18, Section 3005 in the US code, also in the code of Federal Regulations, Volume 16, Sections 255 and 436, which state a product or service must be exchanged for money received). A little while back, I was browsing through newsgroups, and came across an article similar to this that said you could make thousands of dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of $12.00! So I thought, Yeah right, this must be a scam, but like most of us, I was curious, so I kept reading.

Anyway, it said that you send $2.00 to each of the 6 Egold Account listed in this article You then place your own Egold account number in the bottom of the list at #6.Post the article (with your Account number in the #6 spot in at least 200 newsgroups. When you have completed the instructions, take this letter and then go to (Google, Yahoo,...) and type in (Making Money Message board, Money Message Board, Money Forum, Free money Forum, or anything along those lines that are forums) and start posting your copy of this message at least 200 times, to as many unique message boards as you can, or more. The more times you post this at a unique board, the more money you will make. The more copies you send, better is the results. Keep a copy of this letter so you can use it a second time. Post it out again in six months, but Post it with the addresses you receive with each dollar. It will work better the second time. No catch, that was it. So after thinking it over, and talking to a few people first, I thought about trying it. I figured: what have I got to lose except $12.00,right?

Then I invested the measly $12.00. Well, GUESS WHAT!? Within 1 day, I started getting money in my Egold account! I was shocked! I figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming in. In my first week, I made about $60.00. By the end of the second week, I had made a total of over $450.00! In the third week, I had over $9,000 and it´s still growing. This is now my fourth week, and I have made a total of just over $20,000 and it´s still coming in rapidly. It´s certainly worth $10.00! I have spent more than that on lunch!! Let me tell you how this works and most importantly, WHY it works...Also, make sure you print a copy of this article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it. I PROMISE YOU IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY, THAT YOU WILL START MAKING MONEY MORE THAN YOU THOUGHT POSSIBLE BY DOING SOMETHING SO EASY! SUGGESTION: READ THIS ENTIRE MESSAGE CARE-FULLY !! Print it out or download it. Follow the simple directions, and watch the money come in! It´s easy. It´s legal. And, your investment is only $12.00.

IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is not illegal; and, it´s 99% risk-free. Best of all-- it really works! If all of the following instructions are adhered to, you will receive extraordinary dividends. PLEASE NOTE: Please follow these directions EXACTLY, and $34,000 or more can be yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants. PLEASE CONTINUE ITS SUCCESS BY CAREFULLY ADHERING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS. . Here are the easy steps to success: Following is a list of six Egold user account. Send $2.00 to EACH OF THEM using your Egold THIS PROGRAM IS RELATIVELY NEW TO EGOLD USER,HURRY AND TAKE YOUR POSITION AT THE TOP

What you are doing is creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! (Make sure the subject of the payment says.. PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR EMAIL LIST (this keeps the program 100% legal.. so please don´t forget!) You are requesting a legitimate service and you are paying for it! Like most of us I was a little skeptical and a little worried about the legal aspects of it all. SO I CHECKED IT OUT WITH A LAWYER AND THEY CONFIRMED THAT THIS IS INDEED LEGAL. SEND $2.00 TO EACH OF THE FOLLOWING Egold Account number and name

1. 2667023 Alexandro cruz

2. 1909034 Wole

3. 2672134 Reno

4. 2673990 A.Smith

5. 2693009 Dariush

6. 2773787 Jeff

delete the #1 Account Number off the list that you see above and move the other names up (6 becomes 5, 5becomes 4,etc.) and add YOUR Account number as #6 on the list. Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article as close to original as possible. Now send this to all your friends. DO NOT SPAM! Keep a copy of these steps for yourself and, whenever you need money, you can use it again, and again. PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful because of the honesty and integrity of the participants and by their carefully adhering to the directions. Look at it this way if you are of integrity and honesty, the program will continue and the money that so many others have received will come your way.

NOTE: You may want to retain every name and address sent to you, either on a computer or hard copy and keep the notes people send you. This VERIFIES that you are truly providing a service. So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed, six members will be reimbursed for their participation as a List Developer with one dollar each. Your name will move up the list so that when your name reaches the #1 position you will be receiving thousands of dollars in CASH!!! What an opportunity for only $12.00 - $2.00 for each of the first six people listed above! Send it now, add your own name to the list and you´re in business!

DIRECTIONS FOR HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS -- This part is very important: Step 1)You do not need to re- type this entire letter to do your own posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and drag your cursor to the bottom of this do***ent, and select ´copy´ from the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into the computer´s memory. Step 2) Open a blank ´notepad´ file and place your cursor at the top of the blank page. From the ´edit´ menu select ´paste´. This will paste a copy of the letter into notepad so that you can add your name to the list. Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do your postings in different settings, you´ll always have this file to go back to. Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet Explorer and try searching for various newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chatsites, discussions.) Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste from the edit menu. Fill in the ‘Subject’; this will be the header that everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a particular group; then click the post message button. You´re done with your first one! Congratulations!!! THAT´S IT! All you have to do is jump to different newsgroups and post away, after you get the hang of it, it will take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup!

REMEMBER, THE MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE! BUT YOU HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200(go to (Google, Yahoo,...) and type in (Making Money Message board, Money Message Board, Money Forum, Free money Forum, or anything along those lines that are forums) and start posting your copy of this message at lease 200 times.The more postings the better, you don´t have to post the add in 200 places but remember the more the better, That´s it! You will begin receiving money from around the world within days, perhaps even hours! Now,let's assume that 5 people responded, if the 5 persons who just sent me $2.00 make the MINIMUM 200 postings, each with my name at #5 and only 5 persons respond to each of the original 5,that is another $40.00 for me, now those 25 each make 200 MINIMUM posts with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each, I will bring in an additional $200.00! Now, those 125 persons turn around and post the MINIMUM 200 with my name at #3 and only receive 5 replies each, I will make an additional $1000.00! OK, now here is the fun part, each of those 625 persons post a MINIMUM 200 letters with my name at #2 and they each only receive 5 replies, that just made me $5000.00!!! Those 3,125 persons will all deliver this message to 200 newsgroups with my name at #1 and if still 5 persons per 200 newsgroups react I will receive $25,000! With an original investment of only $12.00! AMAZING!

When your name is no longer on the list, you just take the latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another $12 to names on the list, putting your name at number 5 again. And start posting again. The thing to remember is: do you realize that thousands of people all over the world are joining the Internet and reading these articles everyday? JUST LIKE YOU are now!! So, can you afford $12.00 and see if it really works?? I think so... People have said, what if the plan is played out and no one sends you the money? So what! What are the chances of that happening when there are tons of new honest users and new honest people who are joining the internet and newsgroups everyday and are willing to give it a try? Estimates are at 20,000 to 50,000 new users, every day, with thousands of those joining the actual Internet.

Remember, play FAIRLY and this will really work. WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!!! GOD BLESS YOU! Egold is the oldest Gold trading online and it's very secure.If you dont have an Egold Account,you can open one here:

https://www.e-gold.com/newacct/newaccount.asp?cid=2663532

YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE DEPENDS SIMPLY ON YOUR ACTS... CHANGE YOUR FINANCIAL LIFE RIGHT NOW ! Your investment is only $12.00, you have nothing to loose ! tell-a-friend about it!!!!!!!!

Jun 8, 2006, 22:51
Re: ... Jun 8, 2006, 22:51
Jun 8, 2006, 22:51

I like the Witcher's promise that it will feature an adult storyline. I'm getting a little tired of the PG-13 pussyfooting storylines in RPGs. "Kill the evil wizard, rescue the princess, and she will reward you with a kiss!"

Fuck that. Rescue the princess and have her reward me with her posse of young, nubile servant girls!

Creston

Jun 6, 2006, 15:28
Re: ... Jun 6, 2006, 15:28
Jun 6, 2006, 15:28

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking then... Maybe I ment lb for lb of gameplay. Like Oblivion you could play for ohhhh 6 six months and finally be 100% complete, but yet it's kinda the same thing over and over.

While on the other hand G3 or TW may be a little more linear but yet are so much more fun.

So to conclude better actually ment "Open and longer."

Jun 5, 2006, 21:11
Re: ... Jun 5, 2006, 21:11
Jun 5, 2006, 21:11

So does anybody think Gothic 3 or The Witcher will be not exactly better, but just more fun and exciting?

More fun and exciting = better.

Jun 5, 2006, 03:07
Re: ... Jun 5, 2006, 03:07
Jun 5, 2006, 03:07

So does anybody think Gothic 3 or The Witcher will be not exactly better, but just more fun and exciting?

Jun 5, 2006, 00:07
PHJF

Re: ... Jun 5, 2006, 00:07
Jun 5, 2006, 00:07
 PHJF

Played through vanillla oblivion for ~80 hours, completed main quest and all guilds.

Not interested in playing anymore; really burnt out on the game.

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Jun 4, 2006, 23:56
Re: ... Jun 4, 2006, 23:56
Jun 4, 2006, 23:56

When i come home from a hard days work consisting of killing various creatures from 9am to 5pm in dungeons i want to put my feet up for awhile. The 24 hour real time mod and companion mod fit the bill perfectly. I can always go to the tavern and kill a few hours there i suppose. I'd like to make some more gold on the side...maybe sell some skooma er sumthin' cuz there's not a hell of a lotta gold in those caves. My phone isn't exactly ringing off the hook from the arcane university so i havta just keep pushing on. cheers!

Jun 4, 2006, 23:23
... Jun 4, 2006, 23:23
Jun 4, 2006, 23:23

Yeah, there is a definitely sense that you can walk everywhere freely. On the onehand it means that you can go anywhere in the game from the beginning... however, it means there is no progression and you never feel parts of the map are off limits. It does limit the replayability as there are never any enemies you truly fear... heck, the final mission of the game is so easy it's untrue, whereas even trolls and ogres are harder.

I hope the modding community get all the tools they need from Bethesda. I imagine they'll be taking the game really interesting places in just 6 months (judging by the progress so far).

Jun 4, 2006, 22:20
Re: ... Jun 4, 2006, 22:20
Jun 4, 2006, 22:20

Well, i DID have to turn down the difficulty a notch or two when i leveled up. Maybe i am rushing through the game too fast and not taking time to soak in the skooma sorta speak

No, there is apparently a bug that if you leave the diff level at normal (ie, never touch it), the monsters' levels rise much faster than yours do. So when you're level 10 or so, the monsters are actually ~18. Something to that extent.

Hit the diff slider just once and it resets, and the bug is gone.

I got that from the forum, not sure how much of it is true, but when I tried to do the Kvatch Oblivion gate at level 14, I got my ass royally slaughtered, and I'm talking just absolutely MAULED. A single Clannfear would obliterate me in seconds.
I turned the diff level down by a single pixel, and suddenly it was very easily doable.

My biggest problem with the level scaling is that it completely destroys any sense of anxiety as you explore. You KNOW that no matter where you go and no matter what cave/dungeon/ayleid city you enter, the monsters will be the same as anywhere else, and easily beatable.

While there are several mods that fix this problem, they still only have the same types of monsters to work with. I hope once a .nif exporter becomes available (or nifskope manages to get 100% of everything), some talented modder will work at getting more creatures into the game, including high level opponents. We need hydras, dragons, giants, beholders, golems, that sort of thing. Not the same fucking minotaur I saw first thirty levels ago.

Creston

Re: Finally
Jun 4, 2006, 19:52
Re: Finally Jun 4, 2006, 19:52
Jun 4, 2006, 19:52

Death penalties are a holdover from the coin-guzzling arcade days. It's something which (along with not being able to save everywhere) would alienate many many gamers nowadays, even a large subset of the hardcore gamers who happen to have fulltime jobs.

Funny you should say that, as I'm playing halflife 2 episode 1 at the moment and it is playing very much like an arcade game. i.e. Figure out how to get out of an area while defending yourself - die, start again etc. It seems to go on like this ad infinitum. These sections of the game really annoy.

Jun 4, 2006, 16:42
Re: ... Jun 4, 2006, 16:42
Jun 4, 2006, 16:42

"I agree with that to an extent, in that the level and loot scaling of Oblivion completely ruins any sense of adventure, and it's the dumbest fucking decision ever made in the history of gaming. Because it ALMOST ruins the game."

Well, i DID have to turn down the difficulty a notch or two when i leveled up. Maybe i am rushing through the game too fast and not taking time to soak in the skooma sorta speak
Thank god (or bethesda) for the mods...

Jun 4, 2006, 16:38
Re: Finally Jun 4, 2006, 16:38
Jun 4, 2006, 16:38

@MacD...it would alienate many many gamers if it was set at default. I'm only suggesting there be an option for it firmly tucked away in the gameplay options.

Re: Gothic/Oblivion
Jun 4, 2006, 15:31
Re: Gothic/Oblivion Jun 4, 2006, 15:31
Jun 4, 2006, 15:31

The two games are very different, though. Gothic 2 is more of a an old-school style that lets you slowly grind away at things. Obvlivion is a bit more modern and very much a FPS, but with swords and spells, but Obvlivion is a much larger, much better game than Gothic 2 is.

I disagree. I'd say that the core mechanics of Gothic 2 are much better done than those of Oblivion. The AI, for one, is significantly better. In Oblivion, nobody seems to care if they see you sneaking around, but in Gothic, they'll become suspicious and tell you to stop. The idle AI is also much better in Gothic, since NPCs will very rarely just stand or wander around aimlessly. They are always doing something, which really adds to the immersion of the game world.

Similarly, stealing is much more intense, given that that game does not pause while you do it and breaking a lockpick can wake up someone up.

Combat is also more involved than in Oblivion. Blocking and dodging are much more important and timing is everything, since you can die pretty easily.

Jun 4, 2006, 14:55
Re: ... Jun 4, 2006, 14:55
Jun 4, 2006, 14:55

Contrast that to Morrowind, which had a hugely diverse world to explore with places you didn't even feel safe to venture until you'd played for dozens of hours. It's a stark difference. Morrowind was a believeable world, while Oblivion is totally artificial.

I agree with that to an extent, in that the level and loot scaling of Oblivion completely ruins any sense of adventure, and it's the dumbest fucking decision ever made in the history of gaming. Because it ALMOST ruins the game.

As for the graphical direction, however, I like Oblivion more than I did Morrowind. It just seemed ridiculous to me that so many different areas existed in what's, after all, a province of an empire. Giant mushroom cities, normal brick and mortar cities, cities built in the boles of trees. That shit happens over an entire world, not in a province. And then the difference in landscapes was really ridiculous. Swamps next to desert. Fertile forests on the other side of the desert. That kind of stuff.

It's like every designer made a small piece, then stapled it all together. I much prefer Oblivion's sense of unity in the graphical area. With that said, the towns still differ enough that they are interesting.

But the level scaling is bullshit. Complete and utter bullshit.

As for the poster who asked if Morrowind is worth it, yeah it is, especially since you can get it really cheap nowadays. Just browse through the Morrowind Mods forum and download some of the most popular Mods, they will make the game a lot more interesting. One of the bad things about Morrowind is that it's totally static, ie, the world never changes. Some of the Mods do try to alleviate that problem.

Btw, both expansion packs to Morrowind are also good games, so if you can get the complete edition (with both expansions), that's money well spent.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 14:59.

No subject
Jun 4, 2006, 14:33
No subject Jun 4, 2006, 14:33
Jun 4, 2006, 14:33

Oblivion seems to me like the same game Bethesda has been making for years. It was pretty much exactly what I expected. It's got the same been-there-done-that quality that Quake 4 and Doom 3 had, and HL2:EP1 has today.

I think there are going to have to be games made for older gamers, because while kids growing up who haven't seen any of this before might be amazed, the rest of us are pretty bored with the same old game mechanics and mediocre, predictable settings.

Jun 4, 2006, 14:10
... Jun 4, 2006, 14:10
Jun 4, 2006, 14:10

It's open-ended but there aren't that many decisions to make. You either do the quest or you don't. There are about 3 decisions in the game that bear consequences.
I do appreciate what you're saying... if the main plot/quests could have been more freeform and have different outcomes that actually affected the whole world then that would have been great but the game excels in so many other aspects. For more hardcore RPG fans it will be lacking and even as a casual gamer I can see that some aspects of the game have been dumbed down somewhat but I don't think that was because of the console crowd but instead where the developers wanted to take it. I for one would have liked more variety in classes - it seems the only choices are warrior, battlemage and thief (sneak). I would like to see have seen mages and marksmen done well, as well as classes with very strong hand-to-hand (like the liony Khajit). It would also be nice to have ways to generate money, rather than dungeon looting and the small amount from guilds like the Dark Brotherhood or Fighter's Guild.

It could have been a lot better and had a lot more RPG elements but I still think it's amazing as it is. I really hope some official addons will add aspects like that, rather than just lots of quests. I also look forward to what the modding community is done, as I'm already very impressed by what has been achieved so far and so quickly.

Jun 4, 2006, 13:22
Re: Finally Jun 4, 2006, 13:22
Jun 4, 2006, 13:22

Oblivion is a fantastic game. I love the open-ended gameplay and the amount of detail put into it.

It's open-ended but there aren't that many decisions to make. You either do the quest or you don't. There are about 3 decisions in the game that bear consequences.

After that there are cookie-cutter dungeons and bandit camps ad nauseum.

It's a good game but it's like they put all this content into the game world but failed to make it entertaining all the way to the end. I've quests to finish but the thought of going back and playing (after about 200 hours logged) anymore pains me. Even putting new quests into the game, either free or paid for, isn't going to freshen it for me if I have to kill another troll or mountain lion on my way there.

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older