Hitman: Blood Money Demo

As promised (story), the playable demo for Hitman: Blood Money is now available, offering the chance to deal out some death in IO Interactive's assassination sequel without parting with any of your own blood money. Word is: "Death of a Showman is the first level of the game and provides both newbies and long-time Hitman fans a refresher course in the mechanics of being the world’s deadliest contract killer while tracking your target through a dilapidated theme park turned drug lab. Get a sneak peak at the incredible new graphic engine, ultra-realistic AI, and try out a few of Agent 47’s new moves." The download debuted on GameSpot (registration required) and Download.com and mirrors can be found on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, 4players.de, Computer Games, eXtreme Players, Gamer's Hell, VGPRO, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 22, 2006, 21:37
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 21:37
May 22, 2006, 21:37

After all that time I would've thought the series had become something more than a novel way to off NPC's.

You may not realize it but a game called "Hitman" will likely focus on novel ways to kill off people. Just a thought.

Really, though, your lack of experience with the Hitman games is made really obvious by your statements. Had you played more than the demo of Hitman 1, you would realize that Hitman 1 and 2 (and in some cases, 3) had multi-tier levels where you'd have to go through different stages before even reaching the target. Hitman 2 placed particular emphasis on this, resulting in many levels that were both forgettable and pointless. The Hitman games are at their best when they focus solely on killing NPCs and not doing other crap like plowing through a jungle to find an artifact or avoiding omniscient snipers in a snowfield.

Hitman has and always will be about perfection. Taking out your targets in the most professional way possible. No evidence, no witnesses, nothing out of the ordinary. The only people that should die are the targets and even sedating non-targets is to be avoided whenever possible.

If you are not a perfectionist, you shouldn't be playing Hitman.

This comment was edited on May 22, 21:46.

May 22, 2006, 21:28
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 21:28
May 22, 2006, 21:28

Hump you're the one who started this discussion and are now bringing it back up. In the end Blue has the final call and if he wishes to remove the offending matter he can do so.

Also like I said on that demo alone I would not be buying the game.

Pirated games != Lost sales

No subject
May 22, 2006, 21:21
No subject May 22, 2006, 21:21
May 22, 2006, 21:21

I haven't touched a Hitman game since the demo for the first game was released several years ago. I can't beleive how shallow and stilted it feels. After all that time I would've thought the series had become something more than a novel way to off NPC's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

May 22, 2006, 21:16
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 21:16
May 22, 2006, 21:16

I kill men by pushing them off balconies, dropping chandaliers on them, throwing them into furnaces, dropping pianos on their heads, curshing them in dump trucks...

I have no need for guns.

May 22, 2006, 21:14
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 21:14
May 22, 2006, 21:14

Freedom of speech asshole.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

You might want to consider someone besides your own selfish self-interests though. Many publishers and developers might not look on the site too kindly if warez talk becomes commonplace. At that point news doesn't get mailed into Stephen and the site slowly goes downhill.

but, of course, that won't affect you.....asshole.

I am a Blues Nazi.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

May 22, 2006, 21:10
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 21:10
May 22, 2006, 21:10

Why can't this amazing genetically engineered assassin, with his tailored suits and sniper rifles afford a silenced pistol when we start the game?

Because only pussy hitmen actually go in armed. Manly hitmen bend the environment to their will.

n00b

-DSR

P.S. It's a joke, laugh...

May 22, 2006, 21:05
nin

Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 21:05
May 22, 2006, 21:05
 nin

No no, that's Hellbinder.

And it's not moral outrage, it's just outrage. Dude really needs to cut back on the Starbucks... maybe switch to decaf.

I don't know...he seems to bring his own morals into just about every thread he posts on, and then seems shocked when people don't agree with him...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com

May 22, 2006, 20:55
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 20:55
May 22, 2006, 20:55

Why can't this amazing genetically engineered assassin, with his tailored suits and sniper rifles afford a silenced pistol when we start the game? For that matter, why does he walk into the job without any gun whatsoever? Did he forget it on the way to work? Leave it behind at the barber's ("Yeh, that's it, just shave the whole thing right off.")? At least we can save wherever we want for a change (GRAW I am looking at YOU!).

May 22, 2006, 20:39
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 20:39
May 22, 2006, 20:39

No no, that's Hellbinder.

And it's not moral outrage, it's just outrage. Dude really needs to cut back on the Starbucks... maybe switch to decaf.

--------
Blue's StarForce Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/starforce_filter.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Re: Joy and Rapture
May 22, 2006, 20:33
Re: Joy and Rapture May 22, 2006, 20:33
May 22, 2006, 20:33

RTF headline

It'll say SILENT ASSASSIN ASSASSINATES SWING KING. In my case, it's usually THE CLEANER SHOOTS THE HOLY FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING.

-DSR <---dumbass, and ROFLing

Thanks. Oh, and yes, I can't believe I totally neglected Jesper. I want him to bear my children, his music MAKES Hitman. It brings such an endearing sophistication to the game that would be completely absent if done with some generic rock soundtrack and whatnot. Kyd's music more than anything else sells the atmosphere of the Hitman universe.

Yeah, the Ave Maria intro just sucked me in hardcore. I have to say my favorite hitman theme of recent memory is the one that plays in the background on the Contracts site:

http://www.eidos.co.uk/gss/hitmancontracts/

-DSR

Re: Joy and Rapture
May 22, 2006, 20:26
Re: Joy and Rapture May 22, 2006, 20:26
May 22, 2006, 20:26

I *love* the notoriety system, getting to read the paper and actually getting all sorts of details about what happened, although it's not quite as clear cut for rankings. How am I supposed to preserve my "Silent Assassin or equivalent on every Hitman level ever without using any FAQs" streak?

RTF headline

It'll say SILENT ASSASSIN ASSASSINATES SWING KING. In my case, it's usually THE CLEANER SHOOTS THE HOLY FUCK OUT OF EVERYTHING.

Also might I add Jesper Kyd once again makes an amazing soundtrack. Nearly had chills down my spine in the opening scene with Ave Maria in the background, and with a dead 47 lieing in the casket. Makes me REALLY want to play through the game just to figure out what the fuck happens.

http://www.jesperkyd.com/music_clips/hitmanbloodmoney/Apocalypse_Jesper_Kyd.mp3

is excellent, almost as good as the Hitman2 theme, although I don't think you can beat that very easily.

Joy and Rapture
May 22, 2006, 18:47
Joy and Rapture May 22, 2006, 18:47
May 22, 2006, 18:47

Well I got my chance to play through the demo, and I am very excited (bet you didnt see that coming!).

The graphical facelift makes a tremendous difference over the previous games, especially in the characters. They don't feel as wooden and stiff, although I think they're taking ol' cueball's look in the wrong direction (Silent Assassin was perfect I thought, and the cutscenes for Blood Money are very much in that style of Tobias too, but the ingame model seems a little too chubby).

The first person perspective is a nice option, although it feels incredibly loose and just seems to be tacked on for those run-and-gun losers. Hitman is and always should be third-person, it just doesn't work in first most of the time, although it did come in handy during the window sniping.

They moved the controls around a little, and I think it's a little unintuitive that you can't hit fire to pull your weapon anymore. That's just a learning curve thing, but it's still a little annoyance.

The addition of throwing skills is FRICKIN AWESOME, god I love hucking that knife. Having coins makes getting past guards much easier than having to just memorize the guard routes, and makes it that much more likely to "get it right the first time".

I do kind of wish they included at least one other level so you could try it out unchained to the tutorial. The first level felt *way* too much on rails, although there were multiple aspects if you dug through the level a little, they weren't anywhere near as varied or readily apparent as the Silent Assassin demo. Hopefully this is just a symptom of the tutorial level.

I *love* the notoriety system, getting to read the paper and actually getting all sorts of details about what happened, although it's not quite as clear cut for rankings. How am I supposed to preserve my "Silent Assassin or equivalent on every Hitman level ever without using any FAQs" streak?

All in all, they're sticking to what works, with more tuning and refining to add depth without changing the gameplay dramatically. The story looks like it'll be a lot tighter than SA (I'm in the minority that thought Contracts had a good story), so I'm all hyped up.

Now the pain of waiting a week....

WTG IO! Get some rest

-DSR <--Rabid unabashed Hitman fanboi for life

EDIT: Oh, and to hell the lame marketing guy who said "Ultra-realistic AI". The AI isn't much improved over any other Hitman as far as I could tell, most of the core behavior was the same from contracts. There is a *lot* more scripted behavior though (There's a great Reservoir Dogs-esque scene if you wait long enough with the first gangster) but SCRIPTING != AI.

This comment was edited on May 22, 18:53.

May 22, 2006, 18:02
Enahs

Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 18:02
May 22, 2006, 18:02
 Enahs

I'm eating a Caesar salad right now. Tasty salad. Mmm.

Ok...I do not get this reference. Please explain.

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

May 22, 2006, 17:48
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 17:48
May 22, 2006, 17:48

I'm eating a Caesar salad right now. Tasty salad. Mmm.

Jason Biggs: Oh, look at the monkey.
James Van Der Beek: Now you're gonna tell me the monkey's gay.
Jason Biggs: Well, how do you know he doesn't smoke monkey pole?
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 22, 2006, 17:11
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 17:11
May 22, 2006, 17:11

Most games need to be played for at least 3 hours before one can pass proper judgement.

For some recent games, that's half of the total game content :-) hehe

May 22, 2006, 17:09
nin

Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 17:09
May 22, 2006, 17:09
 nin

Grab a kit kat and take a break.

I think that should be your new .sig. Made me laugh...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com

May 22, 2006, 17:02
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 17:02
May 22, 2006, 17:02

I deleted the game straight away since there was no demo, and after playing the full, I just wasn't interested.

Sigh. Please, please, do not judge a game by a shitty training level. Most games need to be played for at least 3 hours before one can pass proper judgement. The demo for this game (the training level) is terrible and does not represent the whole game. If you want a good taste of the game, download it and actually play past the first level. If you find it enjoyable, delete it and then wait until the official release. Or you can just beat it and buy the game once it comes out anyway. Just because you download a pirated game doesn't mean you can't buy it later on.

P.S. Reviews aren't too useful. If a game is unanimously bashed, it probably sucks. However, if a game receives high praise, that does not mean the game is good. Just look at the Sims or the Diablo series. The only way to determine if a game is worth buying is to actually play through it first.

This comment was edited on May 22, 17:04.

May 22, 2006, 16:37
Enahs

Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 16:37
May 22, 2006, 16:37
 Enahs

Well that sux. Now I am worried all my soapboxing will make it suck for me also. Hehehe

I might steal it and check out a couple other levels; since dude is saying how the first level is the worst and the rest are better. I always buy games I steal to test out (and actually play). But if I was to base my decision off this demo….Maybe in a couple years when I can buy it for $9.99.

Hopefully “they” will get the word and release a second demo like many people do.

Did you know that 1 lb of yummy delicious ripe strawberries only has 146 calories,36g carbs, 9g fiber,3g protein,1g fat and 475% daily Vit.C? 1 Snickers bar has 280 calories,35g carbs,14g fat.Eat strawberries!
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

No subject
May 22, 2006, 16:33
No subject May 22, 2006, 16:33
May 22, 2006, 16:33

Maybe you're correct, but I now will wait to hear reviews. I mean in this day and age, a level THAT bad is unacceptable. Look at Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, their first level is awesome. It grabbed me and I went "Wow, what is next!", each level was better than the last.

Demo's need to show this. Gothic 1 had a great demo and the minute I was done with the Demo I immediately headed out to EB and bought it! That was smart of them to make a solid demo.

The bad thing is when these companies don't provide a demo. Hitman does have a demo, that's great, but the demo doesn't give me a compelling reason to buy the game at all. Matter of fact it turned me off to the series.

2 great games, 2 bad games.

May 22, 2006, 16:20
Re: No subject May 22, 2006, 16:20
May 22, 2006, 16:20

Like I've said unless you're just disappointed with mechanics the first level is nothing to go buy. In terms of ingenuity, gameplay, and locale the first level is crap. More fun is to be had.

83 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older