MS's Online Gaming Service

Microsoft Announces Online Gaming Service announces plans for a gaming service that will offer cross-platform support for Windows Vista, Xbox Live, as well as cell phones:
LOS ANGELES - Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates on Tuesday announced a new cross-platform gaming service that integrates games played on cell phones, Xbox 360 consoles and the upcoming Windows Vista operating system.

The "Live Anywhere" service will be available as part of Windows Vista, Microsoft's next-generation PC operating system. The consumer version is scheduled for release early next year.

"It means that you have one online community," Bill Gates said in a news conference. "This platform can really unleash developers to do amazing new things."

The system would extend the company's existing Xbox Live service for the Xbox 360 console into millions of Internet-enabled PCs and cellular phones. No pricing information on the new service was announced.

"The vision here is each platform plays its own role. We really think we're in a unique position," Gates said. "Microsoft is probably the only company that can pull this off."

In a demonstration, an Xbox 360 gamer using Live Anywhere was able to send an invitation to a friend on a PC. After the PC user agreed, the two connected for a cross-platform online gun battle.

In another example, a race car's stats were modified on a cellular phone, its appearance was edited in a paint program on the PC and then it was raced on a track on the Xbox 360.
View : : :
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 10, 2006, 09:46
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 09:46
May 10, 2006, 09:46

IE's what all lovers of the free market use nin. Everything else is for communists.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
GO SENS GO!
GO HABS GO!
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

May 10, 2006, 09:22
nin
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 09:22
May 10, 2006, 09:22
nin

And since there's HUGELY INVASIVE ADS right here on Blue's News

Where? I haven't seen a single ad on this site in months...

Oh, you're using IE...that explains it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com

No subject
May 10, 2006, 09:18
War
No subject May 10, 2006, 09:18
May 10, 2006, 09:18
War

And once again, no one is putting Microsoft's recent buyout of an online ad company and their online strategy together.

The service is going to be free - as long as you don't care about ads. And since there's HUGELY INVASIVE ADS right here on Blue's News, would everyone who says they have a problem with ads please ridicule themselves?

They're likely to have a paid no-ads level, though.

In another example, a race car's stats were modified on a cellular phone, its appearance was edited in a paint program on the PC and then it was raced on a track on the Xbox 360.
I hope this means "mods for X360 games too!"

May 10, 2006, 08:54
PHJF

Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 08:54
May 10, 2006, 08:54
 PHJF

Yeah, we have STEAM now!

Take that, Gamespy!

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 10, 2006, 08:50
Nox
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 08:50
May 10, 2006, 08:50
Nox

Anything that means developers stop integrating gamespy code into their games is a major plus for me. I find it laughable that you have to jump through so many hoops just to create a damn login account on most gamespy supported games.
Uh, you must be playing some crappy games. I haven't used gamespy in years.

May 10, 2006, 08:49
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 08:49

What I'm concerned about is that we'll lose the freedom and customisability of online PC gaming. Do you think we'll see the same kind of diverse content if we have to use Microsoft's service? The same customised servers running various mods, and so on? These are genuine questions, because I'm not sure what kind of effect it will have.

Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 08:49

Let's try and steer away from the whole Console vs PC thing for now; we all have our preferences for myriad reasons.

I figure the service may start out free, but once/if the service gains a stranglehold on the market, they'll charge whatever they like and we won't have a choice by that time. It will be slow and insiduous. Sort of like how we used to have all of those free d/l sites, but they were all snapped up by the bigger players, and now the remaining d/l sites have some sort of fee structure.

Mods as we know it will cease to exist. Oblivion is the first step in this direction and we will see more of these type of tactics to sell extra content.

No subject
May 10, 2006, 08:06
No subject May 10, 2006, 08:06
May 10, 2006, 08:06

Anything that means developers stop integrating gamespy code into their games is a major plus for me. I find it laughable that you have to jump through so many hoops just to create a damn login account on most gamespy supported games.

PC games need a big shakeup.

Its getting bad when setting up IRQ and DMA settings for your soundcard and making sure you had enough base memory in DOS seems easy compared to the stuff you need to get games working reasonably today.

Give me an XBOX360 + mouse & keyboard, and i'd never use the PC for gaming again. Hopefully this is the first step in turning the home PC into a closed system like a console, sure it'll be more expensive, but stuff will just work. And tbh, my time is more valuable these days.

Rant over.

This comment was edited on May 10, 08:08.

May 10, 2006, 06:48
PHJF

Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 06:48
May 10, 2006, 06:48
 PHJF

I'm worried what kind of impact this is going to have on the mod community...

------
"I have a grave announcement. Anyone with a weak heart had better leave now. Goodbye."
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 10, 2006, 06:18
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 06:18
May 10, 2006, 06:18

Yeah, just imagine... they'll purposefully slow down mouse-speeds so that they don't alienate their console markets. OH THANKS! Like the PC market would even bother. Nice try.

Sorry but that's one of the stupidest things i've heard. Microsoft would in no way shape or form do that. What they'd probably do is what occurs in Fight Night Round 3. You have different rooms for the Total Punch Control and Buttons. You can still play each other just fine.

I mean really. Some console players are bloody good with they're gamepad, and im sure some would even beat people on the mouse/keyboard combo.

May 10, 2006, 04:39
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 04:39
May 10, 2006, 04:39

Yeah, just imagine... they'll purposefully slow down mouse-speeds so that they don't alienate their console markets. OH THANKS! Like the PC market would even bother. Nice try.

This comment was edited on May 10, 04:41.

Re: Massively Deceptive
May 10, 2006, 04:37
Re: Massively Deceptive May 10, 2006, 04:37
May 10, 2006, 04:37

i[you know what's really scary? The fact that the MMORPG xbox live games (Final Fantasy 12 comes to mind) require a subscription as well.

So you'll pay your ISP anywhere from 30-60 a month, then pay god knows what for "live anywhere", and then another 20 a month for each MMORPG you play.]

What's scary is you haven't checked your facts. MMORPGs for the 360 don't require a gold live subscription, if you wanted to spend all your time playing ff12 without paying for live you'd be able to do that.

I can't see too much of a big issue with this, the xbox live service is dedicated. Xbox users are happy to pay a relatively small premium over the course of a year for a service which works consistently and effectively. If I was able to get the same benefits as I do with live (e.g. ease of access to online gaming, committed online support and all the funky community options live has) as I could on PC I'd be willing to pay a small amount to recieve that.

May 10, 2006, 03:40
Rilcon

Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 03:40
May 10, 2006, 03:40
 Rilcon

The Q&A about UT2007 talked about two different versions of the game, one for PS3 and the other for PC. The Interview said nothing about interconnectivity between the two, or ones features (controller support) affecting the other.

As for this Live thing, given the state PC gaming is in today, I think it's a good thing. Now-a-days all we get are dozens of MMO and RTS games, sprinkled with a few FPS games. If this means that just a few publishers consider ports of their 360 games, it's a win in my eyes.

By the next generation, I'm guessing we'll get some sort of Microsoft Gaming Platform, where the same game disc will play on your brand new MS OS, or your MS console. When that happens, publishers might start to consider "old style" PC games without being afraid of the small market or the PCs compatibilty issues.

And since I don't have this odd visceral hate for MS, and I do make money developing games, I'm all for it.

May 10, 2006, 03:23
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 03:23
May 10, 2006, 03:23

So yeah, we're removing a little bit of the crazy mobility that got added with 2003 and 2004 and going back to the core of the original UT which we think will actually mesh better with controllers - same Q&A

(Scratches UT2007 off of his "must pre-order next time I go to EB" List)

Seriously though, I had no idea this was true. My fault for not reading the FAQ. Dumbing down the control to better suit gamepad jockeys in a KB+Mouse FPS game is like putting lead weights on Shaquille Oneal's ankles so the other team can guard him better.

....eh, you get my point.

I am glad to say
May 10, 2006, 02:26
I am glad to say May 10, 2006, 02:26
May 10, 2006, 02:26

that due to my complete and utter lack of interest in multiplayer gaming, I find that ploy by Microsoft to gain Yet More Control Over Life, The Universe And Everything really doesn't mean much to me.

Having said that, it's pretty clever of them to port Live to the PC. I wonder if they're planning on turning it into a fully fledged service that every developer can simply hook into (ie, gamespy like?), or leave it strictly for their own games?

Creston

May 10, 2006, 01:37
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 01:37
May 10, 2006, 01:37

This is a competitor to Xfire and all the other gaming IM services. Which are free.

MSFT knows damn well no PC gamer will pay for this. As such, I can guarantee it will be free on the PC. Perhaps there will be bonus features to pay for, but Microsoft will not try to make you pay for something everyone else is giving for free. They know it won't fly.

So it is good for PC gamers because it shows added investment into PC gaming. It is bad for Xfire.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

May 10, 2006, 00:56
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 00:56
May 10, 2006, 00:56

Where does it say that Live Anywhere will cost extra $? It

I think people on the PC side will find the "cost" to be in the design of future PC titles that will be having players compete against consolers over the net. Devs are going to nerf the title in ways to see that the people with the PC controllers have no advantage. It WILL effect gameplay.

More to the point, we have to consider how much fun a game is going to be if there's forty guys in a game and you have a controller in your hand instead of a mouse and keyboard. It's just the gameplay considerations we have to think about.. - Epic dev in latest UT2007 Q&A over at the shack.

So yeah, we're removing a little bit of the crazy mobility that got added with 2003 and 2004 and going back to the core of the original UT which we think will actually mesh better with controllers - same Q&A

Yeah, it's gonna matter

------
Carpe Papilla
This comment was edited on May 10, 00:59.
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

May 10, 2006, 00:51
Re: No subject May 10, 2006, 00:51
May 10, 2006, 00:51

Did I miss something? Where does it say that Live Anywhere will cost extra $? It says it will be part of Vista, so I am not really seeing any issues here. Obviously if people have to pay monthly like they do for Live, they would screw themselves over and no game company would go for it..

Well, this *is* Microsoft. Other then patches, I don't know of anything they give away for free.

No subject
May 10, 2006, 00:40
No subject May 10, 2006, 00:40
May 10, 2006, 00:40

Did I miss something? Where does it say that Live Anywhere will cost extra $? It says it will be part of Vista, so I am not really seeing any issues here. Obviously if people have to pay monthly like they do for Live, they would screw themselves over and no game company would go for it..

Re: Thats it
May 10, 2006, 00:36
Re: Thats it May 10, 2006, 00:36
May 10, 2006, 00:36

... it was called "The Zone"

As was mentioned already, the zone was free. Honestly, I don't see an FPS that relies on this shit being successful on the PC. The communities (BF 2, CS:S, CS 1.6, etc.) simply aren't going to jump on board for this, even if Vista and DX 10 try and force the issue...

I hope that's the case, anyway... But Xbox Live has been pretty popular and I think that's a rip off, too (I'm hoping that the difference is the PC has multiplayer alternatives, whereas the Xbox does not).
I eat pasta!
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older