Dark World Online Announced

Tulga Games announces Dark World Online, an upcoming "modern-horror" MMORPG. The Dark World Online FAQ has some details on the game, confirming it has no set release date at this point. Here's the announcement:
MESA, Arizona - May 8, 2006 - Tulga Games, LLC, developers of the award-winning Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG), Horizons: Empire of Istaria, today announced the development of Dark World Online, a new modern-horror MMORPG. In Dark World Online, players choose between playing one of the three fantasy factions fighting for control in a modern-world setting.

In development by Tulga Games, LLC, Dark World Online is an MMORPG set in a stylized modern urban environment inhabited by three rival factions, all fighting for control of the world. In the game, players can take on the personas of Humans, Vampires or Werewolves, each replete with special skills and abilities, and biases towards the other factions. Each faction also features customized weaponry, appearances, tools and dwellings to immerse the player in the fantasy world. Featuring support for both Player-vs.-Player (PvP) and Player-vs.-Environment (PvE) gameplay, Dark World Online will offer an outstanding gameplay experience for all types of gamers. For more information regarding Dark World Online, please visit www.DarkWorldOnline.com.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: lol White Wolf
May 9, 2006, 00:49
Re: lol White Wolf May 9, 2006, 00:49
May 9, 2006, 00:49

ha, the goofballs bashing Horizons are the same ones who think Oblivion sucks and who don't get what Spore is all about. Back to your shooters children, mmogs are too complex for you.

and people who play Vampires are just goth gay wanna be's:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110148/
Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles
Tom Cruise .... Lestat de Lioncourt
Brad Pitt .... Louis de Pointe du Lac
well we don't really need to go any further do we?

This comment was edited on May 9, 00:52.

May 9, 2006, 00:29
Re: lol White Wolf May 9, 2006, 00:29
May 9, 2006, 00:29

Why the fuck do people think just because something has vapires in it, that it's a horror game? Three factions battling each other sounds like an action game to me. Horror is something entirely different.

This press-release and a weak FAQ is all we have so far. There are no screenshots or concept art to even begin to get a picture of what the game's style is going to be like.

Way too early to bitch at them for that one. But feel free to bitch at them for Horizons like everyone else.

Horizons Bashing
May 8, 2006, 23:27
Horizons Bashing May 8, 2006, 23:27
May 8, 2006, 23:27

I see all these people bashing horizons as an excuse to hate a game that's just announced as in development with no other info available. I find this humorous and sad for a few reasons:

3) Yes, Horizons has it's problems, but how many of it's problems are...
a: Client-specific?
Yes, AE made a eventually terrible choice with Alchemy as the core client engine. Intrinsic went bankrupt in mid-production of the client and no source or support was ever given to AE for them to work with to optimize their usage of the middleware. There was no time or money to start over client-side by that point. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT this next game will be built around the same black box.

b: Concept specific?
I hear a lot of people complain that HZ is PvE and that there's no PvE ... People seem to think that because it's from Tulga, it will just be the HZ server + HZ client + HZ gameplay just with different art assets. Am I the only person who thinks that since PvP is a core aspect of the game it MIGHT just play a little differently than HZ?

c: Team specific?
Most of the people that had anything to do with making Horizons are no longer working for Tulga Games. (And were no longer working at Artifact Entertainment at the time of release either.) Horizons only STILL exists because of all the hard work done by the people who were brought in mid-or-post-development who are trying their hardest to make the best of what was dumped on them.

David Bowman has a little more experience with MMOs than David Allen did (to my knowledge) so I'll give him more of a benefit of the doubt when it comes to selecting and managing a team to create a new one.

All that said, I think #21 has a point. I also think that the game isn't very far at all into development as hinted at by others noticing that there aren't any screenshots. This announcement came very close to E3, but I don't see Tulga Games as having a booth there this year... so keep an eye out for Tulga people at E3 looking to find backers or people wanting to work on it.

-An Observer-

In-Game Advertising
May 8, 2006, 20:39
In-Game Advertising May 8, 2006, 20:39
May 8, 2006, 20:39

I firmly believe one of the driving factors (if not the driving factor) for setting this game in a modern, urban environment is to rationalize the use of extensive in-game ads, populating billboards, walls, fences, with everything imaginable.

Lord, why am I so jaded?

May 8, 2006, 18:16
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 18:16
May 8, 2006, 18:16

Vampires aren't evil!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7521044027821122670
Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

May 8, 2006, 18:00
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 18:00
May 8, 2006, 18:00

Why the fuck do people think just because something has vapires in it, that it's a horror game? Three factions battling each other sounds like an action game to me. Horror is something entirely different.

May 8, 2006, 16:27
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 16:27
May 8, 2006, 16:27

A) White Wolf didn't invent shit. The concept of vampires and werewolves is as old as man itself. They, like most other people and companies, were hoping for some free money.

B) You can't copyright titles.

C) If this is from the Horizons crew it's going to suck.

"And I'm Ron Burgundy. Go fuck yourself, San Diego."

-Ron Burgundy
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 8, 2006, 15:58
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 15:58
May 8, 2006, 15:58

Theres a difference between being in the same genre and literally ripping off ideas practically verbatim. Underworld practically stole the entire story/character structure from the game.

I read the legal brief about all the specific stuff White Wolf was bitching about in Underworld. Most were pretty freaking hilarious, like having vamps and WW's in the same 'world' at war... Ya that's really original.

This sounds like it's doing the same (even going so far as calling the game "Dark World" where White Wolfs system is "World of Darkness".)

This sounds like whiny bitching to me, pure and simple. Now if White Wolf coined 'World of Darkness' first, you might be on to something about copying generic names (unless of course you think World or Darkness, or putting them together is somehow unique and not really used in thousands of contexts), but it's not like someone is coming up with a game called Warcraft World : )

I know I'm being an ass, but I think these arguments are ridiculous, and I'd like to know where you base this on anyways. The link I clicked had barely any information, and the FAQ didn't have much more, most of it pretty standard fare. I'm not saying they're original, as vamps, ww's and oddly, humans, have been overdone already, but WW sure doesn't deserve any credit here.

-Alamar

No subject
May 8, 2006, 13:52
No subject May 8, 2006, 13:52
May 8, 2006, 13:52

How brilliant they don't even have any screenshots up to accompany this announcement. Won't matter much anyway given that Horizon's is on their resume.
Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

May 8, 2006, 13:46
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 13:46
May 8, 2006, 13:46

As I've heard it, there's only two available human characters you can play in this - either Abbott or Costello - each of whom has unique abilities.

May 8, 2006, 13:37
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 13:37
May 8, 2006, 13:37

Great thats all we need more MMO.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

May 8, 2006, 13:34
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 13:34
May 8, 2006, 13:34

Theres a difference between being in the same genre and literally ripping off ideas practically verbatim. Underworld practically stole the entire story/character structure from the game.

This sounds like it's doing the same (even going so far as calling the game "Dark World" where White Wolfs system is "World of Darkness".)

Could I be wrong? sure. They might just take the concept of vampires, werewolves and humans battling in a completely different direction, and be original. I'm just basing my comments on what they're telling us so far.

This comment was edited on May 8, 13:35.

May 8, 2006, 13:26
Re: lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 13:26
May 8, 2006, 13:26

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037793/

White Who?

-------------------------------------------------
our daily interactions with 'real' people are far more scripted than any game. Your behavior at work... every aspect of your life conforms to a social script we all agree to play by.

lol White Wolf
May 8, 2006, 13:22
lol White Wolf May 8, 2006, 13:22
May 8, 2006, 13:22

Ya White Wolf's lawyers should hop in their time machine and sue Bram Stoker.

Re: No subject
May 8, 2006, 12:46
Re: No subject May 8, 2006, 12:46
May 8, 2006, 12:46

You can buy many awards at the dollar store. Horizons: winner of prestigious "#1 Son" award.

Really though, these guys had ALL the wrong ideas for their last game. The only decent thing in the game was the crafting and I doubt that will translate into this type of game.

I do find it hilarious that you guys are saying how White Wolf owns the entire idea of Vampires and Werewolves though. I think any judge would be equally amused. How can you claim ownership of such ancient ideas? You laugh at Marvel getting upset about people being able to replicate their characters in CoH but a game uses something as fucking generic as vampires and everyones like HEY THATS WHITE WOLFS GAME!

Weren't they trying to force some fee on people who had RPG parties or something last year anyway? (talk about getting off topic)

Re: No subject
May 8, 2006, 12:22
Re: No subject May 8, 2006, 12:22
May 8, 2006, 12:22

You have to wonder at what point developers will see that the market is becoming flooded with MMO games..especially if they all come with a monthly fee. How many MMO games can people play, much less afford?

No subject
May 8, 2006, 12:13
No subject May 8, 2006, 12:13
May 8, 2006, 12:13

Wee two threads to bash Horizons in as many minutes.

But seriously, what awards did Horizons ever win? Unless Tulga are proud of the "worst game of the year" awards they no doubt won.

Re: Umm...
May 8, 2006, 12:03
Re: Umm... May 8, 2006, 12:03
May 8, 2006, 12:03

"developers of the award-winning Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG), Horizons: Empire of Istaria"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

What a fucking lie. Horizons was the biggest joke of a MMORPG ever

May 8, 2006, 11:55
Re: Umm... May 8, 2006, 11:55
May 8, 2006, 11:55

actually, I'm wondering what ever happened with Underworld... White Wolf did actually take legal action against them.

May 8, 2006, 11:51
Re: Umm... May 8, 2006, 11:51
May 8, 2006, 11:51

I've been waiting for White Wolf to get off their duffs and find a good developer to make the World of Darkness into an online MMO now forever.

I hear that, but even Underworld was a rip off WoD(but I mean what with vampires isn't anyway?)

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older