Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Demo This Week?

Ghostrecon.Net (thanks Frans) has word that the demo for Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter is expected soon, the post is from Saturday, so it sounds like this week, though this is all a bit vague and translated:
GR:AW PC could be on your PC sometime next week according to this post by a moderator in the French Ubisoft forums. The best translation I can come up with at this time is...

"Well, the demo is out next week! One of the folks that were at the fan's day yesterday asked the question and one said for them that the demo is due out next week but no exact date was specified."

Keep your eyes peeled on the official sites for the exact date and content of the demo. Forum discussion here.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Vs the 360 version?
Apr 25, 2006, 12:02
Re: Vs the 360 version? Apr 25, 2006, 12:02
Apr 25, 2006, 12:02

That does sound pretty good, Paranoid. Though I've been bitten by the hype-machine before so, like you said, the demo will be the breaking-point.

I'm definitely excited about the co-op, though I seem to recall having to open up a ba-jillion ports in my router to get the co-op in Splinter Cell working. Bleh.

Getting rid of the third person view ought to make the game a little more interesting. While some of the movement animations (like sliding into cover) were really cool, it detracted from the tactical immersion.

Thanks for the info! Definitely more excited about the game now than I was before.

---

In response to the question about having the red diamonds on enemies, in the 360 version, you had to sweep your crosshairs over the enemy before they get lit up, so you can still get surprised. Your teammates and the UAV can also spot tangos for you. And you have the option of turning off the whole target ID diamonds overlay.

One nifty thing from the 360 version that I liked was the ability to shoot through a certain amount of material with the sniper rifle. So you could snipe guys behind cover. And the diamond would show you an outline of the target if your crosshairs was over it, making those headshots easier. The downside is that I've heard it turns multiplayer into a sniper-fest.

---

And as for taking out that fortified artillery position, nope, I wasn't a spotter. That would have made too much sense! I had to take out some ECM and then plant the charges myself, only to get chased by a [spoiler spoiler spoiler...].

A plug for my fave GR site.
Apr 25, 2006, 10:30
A plug for my fave GR site. Apr 25, 2006, 10:30
Apr 25, 2006, 10:30

More GRAW PC info than you can shake a stick @

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28051&hl=

Re: Diamond crap
Apr 25, 2006, 00:04
Re: Diamond crap Apr 25, 2006, 00:04
Apr 25, 2006, 00:04

Red diamonds to identify enemies are toggleable in Single Player and do not exist at all in multiplayer. We don't know if the friendly ID's are optional or not and won't now until the game or demo comes out thanks to a few morons at the Ghostrecon.net forums that cost us dev involvement in the community.

Diamond crap
Apr 24, 2006, 19:49
Diamond crap Apr 24, 2006, 19:49
Apr 24, 2006, 19:49

Does anyone know if you can turn of that red diamond crap?

I think that diamond HUD thingwould be a game wrecker for me

If I spot a tango I want to spot that damn tango myself!

Whats next auto aim and fire? Heck why don't we just let the computer play the whole game for us!

As for friendly IDs...half the god damn fun of Ghost Recon was accedently shooting a squad mate in the face after you panic coming around a corner!

I can only deal with so many levels of abstraction before I feel like I'm playing Hogans Alley.

p.s. ya ya 2 edits and still tons of spelling errors so shoot me!....Aw crap! Now I got the red diamond thingy on me!

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 19:56.

Re: PhysX when??
Apr 24, 2006, 18:00
Re: PhysX when?? Apr 24, 2006, 18:00
Apr 24, 2006, 18:00

Then again, I still haven't confirmed 100% if the PS3 will have a PhysX processor inside, so good luck getting a definite answer from AGEIA.

As far as I know the Ps3 supports Ageias physics libraries, but doesn't have any hardware and uses a few of the SPUs instead. AFAIK the 360 doesn't have any dedicated hardware either; it doesn't really make too much sense for a console to lock itself in to a particular feature at such an early stage, plus I'm not entirely sure whether the Ageia hardware would be any use if devs, for example, wanted to use Havok or soforth rather than license a new physics engine.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

Re: This is looking more and more promis
Apr 24, 2006, 17:44
Re: This is looking more and more promis Apr 24, 2006, 17:44
Apr 24, 2006, 17:44

That video you linked to is from the Xbox 360 version, Paranoid, not the PC version. There are no multiplayer trailers for the PC and only a few videos that contain small scraps of PC multiplayer action.

This is looking more and more promising.
Apr 24, 2006, 16:44
This is looking more and more promising. Apr 24, 2006, 16:44
Apr 24, 2006, 16:44

Thx for the info. I just found a HD video on Fileplanet that I hadn't seen either. It got me even more excited that is sure.

Has anyone seen other videos released with multi-player or co-op action that I may have missed due to my extended Oblivion game-play? Any links would be highly appreciated.

Edit:That link was causing text to be crossed out. Had to alter it a bit.

http://www.fileplanet.com/161002/160000/fileinfo/Ghost-Recon:-Advanced-Warfighter-Trailer- [HD-Quality]

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 16:51.

Co-op
Apr 24, 2006, 15:57
Co-op Apr 24, 2006, 15:57
Apr 24, 2006, 15:57

You can play the entire single player campaign via 4 player co-op.

The normal multiplayer is a 32 player multiple objective mode, basically the basic idea of the MP is like onslaught in ut2004, i.e. the connected points. You can only capture points that are connected to your existing capture points.

You can make out the capture points in the top right of this photo someone snapped at a recent demo at a lan in the uk.

http://www.fpsforces.co.uk/images/g19.jpg

Apr 24, 2006, 15:41
Re: Vs the 360 version? Apr 24, 2006, 15:41
Apr 24, 2006, 15:41

Some motherboard manufacturers will soon be putting out boards that have an onboard PhysX processor.

Apr 24, 2006, 15:28
Re: Vs the 360 version? Apr 24, 2006, 15:28
Apr 24, 2006, 15:28

Does the US Army really drop in one guy to take out a fortified artillery base?

Lol. He might be a forward observer who decided to be proactive in his duties. "I has to gets that promotion. This'll do it!"

Co-op? Sweet...
Apr 24, 2006, 15:16
Co-op? Sweet... Apr 24, 2006, 15:16
Apr 24, 2006, 15:16

"It was made by a completely different developer so other than the name and basic assets, its all new. True co-op is what I am looking forward to the most. You and up to three others (live and/or AI) taking it to the streets."

I was just starting to think about that part of the game. Since a few friends said they would only buy it if it has good co-op. Where are the links to that info? Any PC or Co-op multi-player videos yet?

No subject
Apr 24, 2006, 14:54
No subject Apr 24, 2006, 14:54
Apr 24, 2006, 14:54

It was made by a completely different developer so other than the name and basic assets, its all new. True co-op is what I am looking forward to the most. You and up to three others (live and/or AI) taking it to the streets.

Really looking forward to this demo.

Re: PhysX when??
Apr 24, 2006, 14:51
War
Re: PhysX when?? Apr 24, 2006, 14:51
Apr 24, 2006, 14:51
War

>And when can I buy a PhysX card to go with this game? Aren't they only available from OEM's like Dell right now?

Good question. I wanted a PhysX card, but there's definitely no way in hell I'm buying a Dell/Alienware/whatever PC just for that.

Then again, I still haven't confirmed 100% if the PS3 will have a PhysX processor inside, so good luck getting a definite answer from AGEIA. They're so goddamn slippery, I'm starting to think something's up.

Apr 24, 2006, 14:40
Re: Vs the 360 version? Apr 24, 2006, 14:40
Apr 24, 2006, 14:40

Well, Simon. From everything they have stated the PC version is a totally different experience as far as the game-play. They both sport the same graphics and story-line but the rest of the PC version is supposed to be entirely different.

I have read a few previews (most are just blurbs) but I never put much stock in them anymore. So the demo will be the breaking point for me.

I have a pre-order in at my local EB but that can always be left in place or transferred over to another title if the demo is shite. Looks like we shall know soon enough.

Edit:Some if the info from this preview at IGN.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/701/701730p1.html

"Along with the story, there is a large similarity in the art style. While the engine is actually completely different for the PC version of the game, players will see very few noticeable differences."

Sounds good to me. Since most of us agree the console games lack what PC gamers desire in most cases.

"GRIN is busy implementing Ageia physics as well for those lucky enough to have a physics processor in their system."

I guess the physics card is another thing being pushed by the industry. Only time and their price point will tell.

"The big difference is that the levels have been completely redesigned by developer GRIN... "

"One of the bigger differences from the 360 version is that the third-person mode has been completely removed from the equation."

"Players will find that maps are much larger than they were in the 360 version and have been tuned and set-up to support a much more tactical style of gameplay. There'll be more corners to watch, more directions for enemies to come from, and generally more difficult gameplay."

Some of the best news so far. Maybe they (GRIN & the industry) are finally starting to listen to PC gamers. We want PC games not console ports. Only a few games have ever been good on both platforms.

Go read that preview top of page two is some really good news though he mentions the game is still more actiony then the original that may not be a bad thing.
This comment was edited on Apr 24, 15:09.

Vs the 360 version?
Apr 24, 2006, 14:05
Vs the 360 version? Apr 24, 2006, 14:05
Apr 24, 2006, 14:05

I played all the way through the XBox360 version and I have to say that, once you get past the eye candy, the gameplay was extremely basic. The game was essentially a mix of standard first person shooter and Full Spectrum Warrior.

Here are some of my gripes about that 360 version...

On the levels where you do have a team to control, you only have the option of telling them to be stealthy or aggressive, and to move to a spot or form back up on you. Overall, the AI was not that bright. The bad guys would either stand there and shoot at you until they got killed or rush you and die in a hail of gunfire. While there were some memorable scenes in the game, they were all scripted set-pieces.

Any armor (tanks, etc) you get to control is set on rails. They can either go forwards or backwards, and that's it. Gunship (helicopter) support was pretty cool, though you don't get it very often.

The solo missions are just tedious. Does the US Army really drop in one guy to take out a fortified artillery base? These missions involve you sneaking around until you find some bad guys. Then you shoot them. Rinse, repeat. You could also run and gun, but expect to have to reload the game a lot.

The concept for their HUD is a decent one, but in practice, it's information overload. It's nice to have my enemies all tagged with little red diamonds, but when they're layered on top of little blue diamonds and little green diamonds and little yellow diamonds, it starts to look like Geometry War. And the CrossCom implementation turned out to be absolutely useless. SWAT 4 has a much more useful picture-in-picture scheme, in that you can enlarge the window and give your team-members orders based off of what they see.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I hope the PC version of GRAW has more depth than the 360 version. While the 360 did have some incredible graphics and top notch production, I found the gameplay - the number of things you can do - to be extremely shallow. I've read that the PC version seeks to remedy some of that, and I'm curious to see how much Ubisoft has really changed.

Re: No subject
Apr 24, 2006, 13:11
Re: No subject Apr 24, 2006, 13:11
Apr 24, 2006, 13:11

Well a Ghost recon version of Rainbow6 would be better than either a consolized Ghost or Rainbow. The game is almost entirly urban, so you can forget the low crawling through the bushes you had in the original GR.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

PhysX when??
Apr 24, 2006, 13:09
PhysX when?? Apr 24, 2006, 13:09
Apr 24, 2006, 13:09

And when can I buy a PhysX card to go with this game? Aren't they only available from OEM's like Dell right now?

Apr 24, 2006, 12:50
Re: No subject Apr 24, 2006, 12:50
Apr 24, 2006, 12:50

I will try the demo though.

I've played the rest and loved them. I just hope that this game/demo is good. Otherwise its novalogic for me.

No subject
Apr 24, 2006, 12:37
No subject Apr 24, 2006, 12:37

releasing a demo before the game comes out? Thats a hopeful sign that we aren't looking at a Ghost Recon version of Rainbow6 3

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: No subject Apr 24, 2006, 12:37

Can't hide in a demo?

What about Starwars empire at war? Wasn't the demo faster?

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older