Additional Euro Guild Wars Character Slots

The European Guild Wars Website (thanks Guild Wars Slovenija) announces that they will begin selling additional character slots for Guild Wars beginning this summer:
Thursday 20 April, 2006 Character Slots Offered We are happy to announce that you will be able purchase additional character slots for your Guild Wars account beginning this summer for £5.99 (€8.99). Each new slot will enable you to add a new character to your account with full access to all of the content your current characters enjoy. We’ll have more details to share soon!
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

No subject
Apr 24, 2006, 10:09
No subject Apr 24, 2006, 10:09
Apr 24, 2006, 10:09

Heh whatever you think of the gameplay, its one of the most solid bits of programming in gaming.

Re: ArenaNet Network
Apr 22, 2006, 18:53
nin

Re: ArenaNet Network Apr 22, 2006, 18:53
Apr 22, 2006, 18:53
 nin

These are just two I could find ATM.

Very interesting! Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com

Apr 22, 2006, 17:46
Re: ArenaNet Network Apr 22, 2006, 17:46
Apr 22, 2006, 17:46

These are just two I could find ATM.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14931

"What happens is that it knows where you are, and when you play, you'll probably be connected to one of the European servers - if you're playing with your buddies, or by yourself, in general it knows your home datacentre. But if you want to play with me, and I'm on one of the US datacentres, the datacentres will communicate with each other and try to figure out the best place to host our game. They may decide that the total experience across both of us is going to be better if it hosts the game in Europe, and so it'll hand off my character - it migrates my character record temporarily to the European datacentre, you and I play our game, and then when we're done, it migrates my character back."

http://www.gamingsteve.com/podcasts/Gaming-Steve-2006-03-20.mp3 (at around 27:15 he talks about account migration)

Apr 22, 2006, 16:16
nin

Re: ArenaNet Network Apr 22, 2006, 16:16
Apr 22, 2006, 16:16
 nin

Every time you switch to a different district or play with players from different territories, or play PvP, GvG in global arenas (Korea, Japan, Taiwan, EU, USA, Hong Kong,...) the game:

# Decides on which server around the world the game will be hosted. This is determined from the current player structure (from where the majority of players are) and response times to that individual server.

# Once the server has been selected, players accounts (and of course the whole info that goes with it, including characters info) is transferred to that server automatically and behind the scenes.

# When the game is finished and the players return to their original locations, the account info is transferred back or to any other database server the players connects to.

Linkage? Thanks!

GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

Re: No subject
Apr 22, 2006, 09:56
Re: No subject Apr 22, 2006, 09:56
Apr 22, 2006, 09:56

Lubey: That may be so for Guild Wars Prophecies, but not for Factions.

Also, once you buy a character slot, it remains yours for all chapters you connect to that account.

Re: NINE Euros
Apr 22, 2006, 06:11
Re: NINE Euros Apr 22, 2006, 06:11
Apr 22, 2006, 06:11

I think Tr0n got it pretty much right here. Adding a new character slot isn't just as simple as changing a database field and voila...

Trying to compare the price of the slot to HD space is stupid, as was already mentioned. There are lots more costs to consider, not least the continued maintenance of the servers, bandwidth, software patches, new servers and everything else that constitutes the immense framework that Arenanet have in place to support this game.

One thing that actually annoys me about this argument - Arenanet don't charge a fee to play their ONLINE RPG, so they ask for a small fee to continue playing with another character slot - what is the fucking problem? why is it a rip-off when they charge you a completely optional fee for being one of the biggest drains on their resource? beggars belief.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 06:14.

No subject
Apr 22, 2006, 05:38
No subject Apr 22, 2006, 05:38
Apr 22, 2006, 05:38

Just to clear something up. Buying four slots is NOT cheaper than buying a new copy of the game. www.play.com sell the original game for £18, free delivery. Four additional slots on your account would cost £24.

ArenaNet Network
Apr 22, 2006, 04:35
ArenaNet Network Apr 22, 2006, 04:35
Apr 22, 2006, 04:35

Here's another bit of information that Creston and some of you may not know and also the main reason why GW games ship with only 4 slots by default.

Classic MMORPGs have a client/server infrastructure that is separated. If you created a character on server A, you can't play that character on server B. Of course some companies offer account transfers for money, but that's another story (yes, account transfers are very costly).

The ArenaNet network works differently and it's really a work of art when you look at it.

Every time you switch to a different district or play with players from different territories, or play PvP, GvG in global arenas (Korea, Japan, Taiwan, EU, USA, Hong Kong,...) the game:

# Decides on which server around the world the game will be hosted. This is determined from the current player structure (from where the majority of players are) and response times to that individual server.

# Once the server has been selected, players accounts (and of course the whole info that goes with it, including characters info) is transferred to that server automatically and behind the scenes.

# When the game is finished and the players return to their original locations, the account info is transferred back or to any other database server the players connects to.

Now, these account transfers don’t just increase in size with every character slot an account has, but they also use up more bandwidth and additional server resources that have to complete transactions every time a server switches servers. HD space is just one component in this.

In the IT industry, larger databases = more expenses. They get bigger, slower to search thru, harder to maintain and even harder to upgrade and that all costs money. Basic database operations need more time to execute and hence require more computer resources.

As you can see, every character slot in the ArenaNet network structure is very costly and this is one of the main reasons why by default GW games only offer a limited number of 4 character slots.

Now, I’m not saying ArenaNet doesn’t make profit with 9€ for every slot, but this profit is minimal when you consider other short and long-term costs this brings with it. And it’s certainly not over-prices.

Apr 22, 2006, 03:31
Re: NINE Euros Apr 22, 2006, 03:31
Apr 22, 2006, 03:31

"They go into the database, Find your account name, hit the little field that says "4" (or "6"), and change it into "5" (or "7")."

Didn't know you worked for ANet.

"They don't have to create new content. They don't have to build an installer. They don't have to put up a page for downloads. That's all they have to do."

So, what's the problem with that? They had to first build the infrastructure to support multiple slots and every new slot means players will spent more time in the game thus taking up more bandwidth, server resources etc. It’s not just HD space (WTF is up with that comparison anyway?).

Hardcore players are the biggest "drain" for ANet in terms of support and server resources. These players are more likely to buy additional slots hence they cover this part of their money drain.

It's a company after all and they have to make money in order to get out new chapters.

I think ArenaNet has proven that they are worthy of buying their games. Not only do they update the game for free, they will also release chapters on a 6 month basis with a completely new story as a stand-alone game, and all these chapters are optional and can be connected. Their relationship with the fans is IMHO one of the best and their level of dedication unseen in today’s gaming industry.

"And you don't think that ten bucks is overpriced?"

Why would I think that? 4 slots = cheaper as if players bought another game and for exactly this type of players this service was introduced.

And for everyone else paying €9 for an additional character slot for their PvE or PvP char is big deal, because they can play thru the game with more character combinations, save these chars that they put so much time into and not delete them every time they need to make another character. For PvP players that means quick switching and maintaining a larger number of characters/tactics for quicker build change.

Paying 2-3€ for a house armor that vanishes after the horse dies or paying 12+€ for a monthly fee even if I don't play the game – that’s rip-off.

Here with only 9€ you get a life time character slot that for many players will be priceless. And let’s not forget completely optional.

You're saying it's rip-off and on the other side you don't have a clue what an adition slot costs ArenaNet. No, it's not just changing a value in the database and some more HD space.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 03:38.

Apr 22, 2006, 02:41
nin

Re: NINE Euros Apr 22, 2006, 02:41
Apr 22, 2006, 02:41
 nin

You get A LOT of value for 1 character slots and this can't be measurent in HD? I mean WTF?

How so?

edit: Damn Creston, you're up too?

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 02:41.

Apr 22, 2006, 02:38
Re: NINE Euros Apr 22, 2006, 02:38
Apr 22, 2006, 02:38

Let me draw it in crayons for you, since you obviously lack the mental capacity to form this coherent argument for yourself.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. There is no sense in arguing this. As a poster below already said, some people found enough value in 4 character slots that they bought an extra copy of the game for it. At 50 bucks a pop.

Hell, some people spend 3 million dollars on a single baseball. To them, that ball has value. However, that ball is not WORTH 3 million dollars.

Anet charges nine euros (say about ten bucks) for a single character slot. Here is what they have to do to grant you this extra character slot.
They go into the database, Find your account name, hit the little field that says "4" (or "6"), and change it into "5" (or "7").

That's the extent of what they have to do. That's it. If enough people buy these extra slots, they might have to buy a few more 400 gig harddisks and mirror them. (I guess I didn't take the backup system into account, so okay, that's an extra 0.02 cents per MB or so).

They don't have to create new content. They don't have to build an installer. They don't have to put up a page for downloads. That's all they have to do.

And you don't think that ten bucks is overpriced?

There's literally tens of thousands of people bitching at Bethesda for offering extra content for $1.89, and Bethesda has to MAKE that content, has to TEST it, has to provide an installer for it, and has to put it up for download.
Anet has none of these conditions. It's just changing a single digit value. If they wanted to, they could simply give everyone 10 character slots, and it really wouldn't cost them that much. Maybe a few thousand bucks in HD space. They sold over a million copies of their game.

So yeah, I call that ripping your customers off. They could easily afford to offer FOUR slots for ten bucks, or offer a single slot for 3 bucks. (even less, but okay.)
A single slot for ten bucks is fucking OUTRAGEOUS.

Ofcourse, plenty of people will pay for it, that doesn't mean it's not retardedly expensive.

Thank you, have a nice day, don't hurry back. Next?

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 02:39.

Apr 22, 2006, 01:51
Re: NINE Euros Apr 22, 2006, 01:51
Apr 22, 2006, 01:51

Boy are you stupid. Sorry, but you just are.

You get A LOT of value for 1 character slots and this can't be measurent in HD? I mean WTF?

Apr 21, 2006, 22:37
Re: NINE Euros Apr 21, 2006, 22:37
Apr 21, 2006, 22:37

how is it ripping off, when people's only other alternative is to buy a whole other copy of the game for new slots?

Do you understand what a character slot is? What it is BEHIND the UI? To you it's a character slot. To Anet, it's an ENTRY in their SQL database. That's all it is. And it's a non important entry, because you can only USE one character at a time. So they have no need to upgrade their concurrent database connections.

ALL that these character slots use, is harddrive space. Now, let's be VERY generous here, and say that that entry takes up 5MB of space. It's probably a LOT less, but okay.

So they're charging NINE EUROS for 5MB of harddisk space. Harddisk space which at today's prices is in stores for about 25 cents per GIGABYTE.

Yeah, I call that ripping people off. That's a 720000% markup.

Creston

Re: Guild Wars is not an MMO
Apr 21, 2006, 09:35
Re: Guild Wars is not an MMO Apr 21, 2006, 09:35
Apr 21, 2006, 09:35

Uh-huh...screw their mini-mods. But the game itself is great and deserves my money, plus it becomes playable with the usermade mods.
And when the modders finish reverse-engineering the nif format, it'll be amazing

Apr 21, 2006, 09:19
Re: Guild Wars is not an MMO Apr 21, 2006, 09:19
Apr 21, 2006, 09:19

You're only looking at a small part of the overall equation. ANet have lots of costs - staff, server, bandwidth, office rental, etc etc... since they are getting no regular income from regular players they still need a way to generate revenue. So why would they give the people who max out their slots (and hence are likely the biggest drain on A-net's resources) even more slots for nothing? It makes no business sense to do so.

At the end of the day, game developers will get your money if you play their games. The only difference here is the way in which they do it - a regular MMO will take the money off you just for playing, Anet will take money off you if you feel that 4 slots isn't enough and you want more. Its up to the individual to decide if the value merits the cost. The fact that it's optional and not a forced cost is a great bonus to me.

Now I don't need the extra slots myself (yet), but when and if I do I will gladly pay £6 - because I can see the value of it in the bigger picture. While 1 slot for £6 seems expensive, as a whole the game has given me a LOT of value for money and an extra character slot will help me to enjoy it even more - hence more value.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 09:22.

Apr 21, 2006, 09:10
Re: Guild Wars is not an MMO Apr 21, 2006, 09:10
Apr 21, 2006, 09:10

".but now it's oblivion time"

And their crappy mini transactions hourse armor?

Not in a million years.

Apr 21, 2006, 09:03
Re: Guild Wars is not an MMO Apr 21, 2006, 09:03
Apr 21, 2006, 09:03

And then you realise that you're essentially spending 9 euro's for a megabyte of space. The savegame can't be more than a megabyte: as everything is instanced you don't have any item locations / state to save, thus the savegame can be tiny...probably just a couple of hundred kb even.

Now let's buy a HD....what's that nowaddays? 100 euro's for 500 gig? 5 gig/euro...9 euros should net you 45 gigs! But no...you're paying the equivalent of 9000 euros per gig!

Sure, there's admin costs...but those should be minimal in an automated system.

Again...the whining isn't about costs per se...it's about what you get for what you spend. Psychology, y'know? The price is just too high.

PS: I loved GW...lvl 20 mesmer and a lvl 20 ranger...but now it's oblivion time

Re: No subject
Apr 21, 2006, 08:50
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2006, 08:50
Apr 21, 2006, 08:50

"What's up with companies nickel and diming the loyal fanase nowadays?"

Because they can.

's strange though...this is one industry which has grown BECAUSE OF it's fanbase. Counterstrike being the prime example, but no less are the mods for HL,Quake, UT and Morrowind; if the fans didn't/couldn't build their mods, these games would see maybe half their current sales numbers. Even people who I consider game-newbies use mods nowadays...

But what really grates is that this is confined to the companies...they're outputting mini-mod type mods and charging for it. I'd be ok with that if they allowed their loyal fanbase modders to also charge for their work (albeit with a small kickback) if they wanted. Some modders would release purely for love of games, but others would create dedicated, amazing work and be able to live off it. In that respect MS flightsim really works.

Guild Wars is not an MMO
Apr 21, 2006, 06:33
Guild Wars is not an MMO Apr 21, 2006, 06:33
Apr 21, 2006, 06:33

The MMO business model is 100% not applicable to this game. So WoW gave you enough character slots did it? marvellous - you go right ahead and pay your monthly fee for it then. That is the MMO business model, Blizzard has no motivation to prevent you from creating as many characters as you want because they are getting a steady stream of revenue from you.

Guild Wars on the other hand has no monthly fee, Arenanet makes no money off players after the initial sale - unlike MMO's, Arenanet also have to support the game and pay for servers, unlike most other non-MMO's. This means that they make no money from their most hardcore player base, a fact that is totally at odds with the normal MMO model.

The great thing about Guild Wars is that you will never have to pay a penny if you don't want to. All upcoming expansions are purely optional, these new character slots are optional. You pay money for content that you think is of value. I'm also pretty confident that Arenanet will never go down the 'microtransactions' route - it is against the ethos of the game. (ie you cant buy or grind to get better gear)

So, £6 seems steep until you realise how it fits into the whole Guild Wars model. It is a purely optional way for the most hardcore players to extend the value they are receiving from the game. It is a one off fee that will give you an extra character slot for as long as you continue to play Guild Wars. Frankly, you could buy 6 new character slots and it would still be better value for money than most MMO's out there.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 06:36.

No subject
Apr 21, 2006, 05:08
No subject Apr 21, 2006, 05:08
Apr 21, 2006, 05:08

It would be nice if you got the full 8 slots for owning both. If you've ever played GW in a guild that regularily PVPs you know that you have to keep one slot free to make PVP chars, essentially only giving you 3 slots to play around with as permanent chars. Do the math, thats not enough to have one of each class.

Sure it takes 200 hours to completely unlock a character so unlikely you will ever get to use all your slots fully XD

Its nice you do get the chance to get more slots, without having to buy a completely new account, but yes, may be a tad highly priced.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older