Into the Black

The plumber installed our new water heater today. Everything seems to have worked out fine, and it seems we have more hot water pressure now, so that may have been an indication of the problems in the old one. My buddy Devicer tried to make me feel bad about not doing this myself, saying "the stupidest guy" on an unrelated mailing list he participates in performed such an installation himself. I said that was all well-and-good, but what did the smartest guy on this list do? We decided he probably called the plumber too.

Plumbed Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Stories: Where's the Sheriff of Nottingham?
Science!: Venus Express Transmits First Images. Thanks j.c.f.
Black holes collide in the best simulation yet.
Media: The Amish Outlaws (thanks Greg). Must be a 19th century microphone.
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: water heater install...
Apr 19, 2006, 13:50
Re: water heater install... Apr 19, 2006, 13:50
Apr 19, 2006, 13:50

I don't know what kind of plumbers you're talking about, but in my neck of the woods if something goes wrong *they* have to fix it for free. That's the best reason in the world to have a professional do it ....

If you are knowledgable enough to put one in, I am sure they can snowball you in to believing it wasn't their fault!

This goes true for ANY service offered out there. I am not sure what la la land of truth you live in, but I don't trust anyone that provides a "service".

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Mailing lists... wow...
Apr 19, 2006, 09:03
Mailing lists... wow... Apr 19, 2006, 09:03
Apr 19, 2006, 09:03

People are still using mailing lists? wow.
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Man trades paperclip for house
Apr 19, 2006, 01:25
Man trades paperclip for house Apr 19, 2006, 01:25
Apr 19, 2006, 01:25

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4918184.stm

Pretty cool story. A guy started with a paperclip and has been trading it for other things, upgrading as he goes. He's worked his way up to having a house in Phoenix for a year rent-free. He wants to keep going until he gets a house. No downpayments, no mortgages. Just a house.

Apr 19, 2006, 00:54
Re: water heater install... Apr 19, 2006, 00:54
Apr 19, 2006, 00:54

pay him xxx.xx to put it in and hopefully it works great and if not, you have to pay him xxx.xx to come back and fix it.

I don't know what kind of plumbers you're talking about, but in my neck of the woods if something goes wrong *they* have to fix it for free. That's the best reason in the world to have a professional do it ....

-----------------------------------
You should always go to people's funerals. Otherwise, when you die, they won't go to yours.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Apr 19, 2006, 00:36
WarPig

Re: water heater install... Apr 19, 2006, 00:36
Apr 19, 2006, 00:36
 WarPig

Whenever the subject of bad hot water heaters come up it always brings up a really bad memory for me. It was late November, I had the flu, it was snowing sideways outside, and my water heater dumped all over the floor.

As usual, Dad really came through that night. Since then I've gone through a couple more HW heaters so I've gotten everything pretty much set up to where setting the unit in place is the hardest part of the job. Everything else hooks up in under 15 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------
Bleh

GO SEAHAWKS!

water heater install...
Apr 19, 2006, 00:18
water heater install... Apr 19, 2006, 00:18
Apr 19, 2006, 00:18

I said that was all well-and-good, but what did the smartest guy on this list do? We decided he probably called the plumber too.

Well, I see it one of two ways.
1. Call a plumber, pay him xxx.xx to put it in and hopefully it works great and if not, you have to pay him xxx.xx to come back and fix it.
2. Get 2-3 cases of beer, some bratwerst, hamburger, and some buns, call some buddies, and hopefully you are breaking out the sodering tool before you get to the second case of beer. (this is the way we do things)

I am not saying option 2 is the best, but you learn a lot, get to hang out a bit with friends, and if it doesn't work all that great or something goes wrong, you just have htem come back over and try again!
That being said, hopefully number option 2 costs less and is more fun than option 1. I prefer option 2.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Deadline
Apr 19, 2006, 00:03
Deadline Apr 19, 2006, 00:03
Apr 19, 2006, 00:03

Didn't quite make it....two stories are stuck in Wednesdays news.....

Edit: Damnit, they were! I'm not crazy, I swear.
---
Xfire: GreySpire
GW: Alia Arjel Mo/Me
This comment was edited on Apr 19, 00:04.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older