Out of the Blue

For a change, my weird encounter on the roads this morning after dropping off MrsBlue was not with a car, it was with a bird. As I was driving home I passed a wild turkey running the opposite way up the street. He seemed so earnest as he trotted along that it broke my heart to imagine the potential for him to get hit by a car, so I swung around and parked, hoping to at least coax him in a safer direction (at least not towards the highway). As I was getting out, the futility of my situation struck me… this was indeed a wild animal, and was not likely to respond to whatever it is I was going to do to help him (I clearly had no plan here), and what was worse, he was making off like a bat out of hell (I guess when you're a flightless bird you learn to run fast). I had thoughts of alerting animal control to the situation, but realized that by the time I got home and contacted anyone he could have gone so far I wouldn't be able to direct them to him, and if he was lucky, he may have already been out of town (I'm certainly hoping that was the case).

Bird-brained Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Link: AbsurdlyCool Freebie Finder. Thanks Digg.
Story: Da Vinci in new plagiarism claim.
Science!: Are laser weapons ready for duty? Prepare the sharks!
Where Do the 'Big Ideas' Come From.
Secondhand Smoke Even Less Sweet.
Media: Faith the Two Legged Dog Pt. 2.
Cookie Monster as Shaft.
Follow-up: Mars Rover Spirit Heads to Alternate Home.
Creationism 'no place in schools'.
The Funny: FoxTrot.
Dilbert.
View : : :
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Never bet on Duke...Forever!
Apr 13, 2006, 11:02
Enahs

Re: Never bet on Duke...Forever! Apr 13, 2006, 11:02
Apr 13, 2006, 11:02
 Enahs

God knows I will probably buy it. I hope it is really good. But no matter how good it is you are going to have people criticizing it for not being next to god for taking 10 years to create; which in turn will just hurt sales.

But, hey, could be good. Really want a demo though!

Behold…this land. And we shall call it [pause] this land. Maybe we should call it your grave!. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -Wash
http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Never bet on Duke...Forever!
Apr 13, 2006, 10:05
nin

Never bet on Duke...Forever! Apr 13, 2006, 10:05
Apr 13, 2006, 10:05
 nin

Hmm...
http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/04/13/1233211.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com

Re: Stup
Apr 13, 2006, 09:50
Enahs

Re: Stup Apr 13, 2006, 09:50
Apr 13, 2006, 09:50
 Enahs

and breed, and serve on juries, AND VOTE.
(care to wager on who all 4 voted for?)
No.
Based on the local statistics of the areas and races on who voted for whom, there is a 99.9999% chance they all voted opposite the person you suggested.

Behold…this land. And we shall call it [pause] this land. Maybe we should call it your grave!. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! -Wash
- W. C. Fields

Apr 13, 2006, 08:23
Re: Stup Apr 13, 2006, 08:23
Apr 13, 2006, 08:23

And that is why this country will not last 25 more years.

HEhheee!

Definitely not. It's already been quite a few years since they began printing CAUTION: CONTENTS HOT on coffee cups, and posting no-smoking signs at self-serve gas stations

Great story though.

-----
It may be that one day a young man will adore a Pinata.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Re: Chappelle
Apr 13, 2006, 01:08
Re: Chappelle Apr 13, 2006, 01:08
Apr 13, 2006, 01:08

He had 15 minutes of fame as a comedian
more like 15 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Chappelle

Apr 13, 2006, 00:55
Re: Stup Apr 13, 2006, 00:55
Apr 13, 2006, 00:55

And that is why this country will not last 25 more years.
In the span of 5 minutes I met 4 adults that all have a drivers license
and breed, and serve on juries, AND VOTE.
(care to wager on who all 4 voted for?)

probably: http://videosift.com/story.php?id=1285

Apr 13, 2006, 00:13
Re: Stup Apr 13, 2006, 00:13
Apr 13, 2006, 00:13

Enahs, if I was in line behind you I would have given you $20 to yell that .....

-----------------------------------
You should always go to people's funerals. Otherwise, when you die, they won't go to yours.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Stup
Apr 12, 2006, 23:55
Enahs

Stup Apr 12, 2006, 23:55
Apr 12, 2006, 23:55
 Enahs

So, I went to WalMart tonight.
Hey, the WalMart super center is the only grocery store around here there carries the 2-quart cartons of Tropicana Light Fruit Punch (only 10 calories per serving and yummy), I buy like 10 at once…anyway.

So I picked the wrong damn line to get in. The woman in front of me had 4, 12 packs of canned cokes. Now, Walmart will price match any advertised price. All you have to do is bring an ad with you and say I want this at that price, and she did, she said she wanted to match the Kroger price of 4, 12 packs of canned cokes for $10. The WalMart price for this week for one 12-pack of canned Cokes was $3.75. Now, it took 5 minutes, 3 employees and a calculator to figure out the price difference to ‘ring’ it up properly. Not to figure out how to do the modified pricing on the cash register, but to figure out the total price difference.

At first I wanted to just politely tell them, but I decided not too. By the time the second extra person came and was looking for the calculator you do not know how bad I wanted to scream “You god damn idiots it is a difference of $1.25 per 12 pack, go back to first grade you morons.”.

And that is why this country will not last 25 more years. In the span of 5 minutes I met 4 adults that all have a drivers license that first grade math was too complicated (as not only the three Walmart employees but the woman purchasing the Coke’s could not even figure it out).

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 23:57.
- W. C. Fields

Re: AbsurdlyCool Freebie Finder
Apr 12, 2006, 23:43
Enahs

Re: AbsurdlyCool Freebie Finder Apr 12, 2006, 23:43
Apr 12, 2006, 23:43
 Enahs

Or is there something you are trying to share with everyone?

I was trying out the latest version of OppenOffice.org and the auto grammar correct was on and changed it.

Honestly. You do not think I would care enough to even remotely try and be proper for you guys?
To hell with that.

- W. C. Fields

Apr 12, 2006, 23:13
Re: AbsurdlyCool Freebie Finder Apr 12, 2006, 23:13
Apr 12, 2006, 23:13

Are you propositioning me for sex? I like girl’s man.

What, you like a girl's man? Thanks for sharing.

Though I suspect you meant to say that you "like girls, man". Or is there something you are trying to share with everyone?

Apr 12, 2006, 22:50
Enahs

Re: AbsurdlyCool Freebie Finder Apr 12, 2006, 22:50
Apr 12, 2006, 22:50
 Enahs

Look enahs, even something right up your alley:

Are you propositioning me for sex? I like girl’s man.

- W. C. Fields

South Park
Apr 12, 2006, 22:35
South Park Apr 12, 2006, 22:35
Apr 12, 2006, 22:35

Tonight's episode was great. I loved the "realization" about Family Guy's writers.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Re: No subject
Apr 12, 2006, 22:32
nin

Re: No subject Apr 12, 2006, 22:32
Apr 12, 2006, 22:32
 nin

Soprano's Spoiler Warning (only if you haven't see this season, specifically last Sunday, not a spoiler of upcoming episodes)...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060410/ap_en_tv/tv_sopranos_gay_mobster_11

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 16 W/Mo

http://www.flaminglips.com

AbsurdlyCool Freebie Finder
Apr 12, 2006, 22:09
AbsurdlyCool Freebie Finder Apr 12, 2006, 22:09
Apr 12, 2006, 22:09

Something for everyone there.
Look enahs, even something right up your alley:

http://www.astroglide.com/SampleRequest_warming.asp

Climate of fear?
Apr 12, 2006, 21:55
Climate of fear? Apr 12, 2006, 21:55
Apr 12, 2006, 21:55

Hey Warhawk, this is for you:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220

When will those MIT scientists learn to stop rocking the boat?

No subject
Apr 12, 2006, 21:48
No subject Apr 12, 2006, 21:48
Apr 12, 2006, 21:48

Eh, sorry for the double post. I just caught this little blurb. Apparently Dave Chappelle gave some reasoning into why he abandoned his show. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060412/ap_on_en_tv/people_chappelle)

Not that I really cared much for him, but he always just struck me as a 15 minute flake, especially after reading that.

His reasons for closing the show down:

"The bottom line was, white people own everything, and where can a black person go and be himself or say something that's familiar to him and not have to explain or apologize?"

-Yeah, alright. I suppose aking money is a purely "white" proposition afterall. He had 15 minutes of fame as a comedian, then when the executives of Comedy Central expected him to keep putting out the same level of material he had done before, he had simply exhausted himself. The race card is way overused when concealing shortcoming in your own self.

Professionally: "I felt like I was really pressured to settle for something that I didn't necessarily feel like I wanted."

Ah, this would be a valid reason if he didn't come off as being full of shit to begin with. He had an act he knew was extremely popular and capitalized on it while he was hot. Then when actually expected to keep doing his show (which was a hit), he came up with all sorts of reasons why he couoldn't.

Personally: "The thing about show business is that, in a way, it forces dysfunctional relationships in people."

And this man was an experienced comedian who made it onto Comedy Central?

Eh, sorry to any fans of the show or Chappele himself in here. I'm not knocking him. He just struck me as being full of shit.

Re: Airborne Lasers
Apr 12, 2006, 21:31
Re: Airborne Lasers Apr 12, 2006, 21:31
Apr 12, 2006, 21:31

We didn't employ it in Afghanistan.

Well, I never quite said it was deployed in Afghanistan. Field testing and deploying equipment aren't the same thing. But the laser tech was there, as quoted in the article:

The Zeus is actually a solid-state laser developed by the Army to heat up mines, to be able to clear minefields at a distance. In fact, the Zeus was deployed to Afghanistan, and several hundred mines were cleared by the use of this tactical weapon.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 21:33.

Apr 12, 2006, 19:14
Re: Airborne Lasers Apr 12, 2006, 19:14
Apr 12, 2006, 19:14

Oh yeah. The site of a minefield being lit up by EOD is fun...munition dumps are another cool site to watch. I've never seen the laser doing its magic, but I would imagine in Afghanistan they didn't personnel for miles around. Where they did was to keep goat herders from inadvertantly wandering into the blast radius.

We didn't employ it in Afghanistan. =) But it would have been cool to use there.. It's definatley a target-rich environment.

Am I the only one that thinks about inexpensive European nicotine alternatives when I hear the term "Euro Patch"?
Adding signatures to message boards since October 7th, 2012.

Absurdly Cool.
Apr 12, 2006, 18:49
Absurdly Cool. Apr 12, 2006, 18:49
Apr 12, 2006, 18:49

T-shirts, junk food, starbucks coffee, adult performance enhancers, low capacity flash drives, toothpaste, fragrances, votive candles, skin care products, nutrition bars, Nikon diaper bags, magazines, tea, pet supplies, tampons, crayons, global warming kits, razors, sport tinted contact lenses, noodles, corkscrews, cigars, earplugs, & 7-ounce Tyson Chicken Breast?

All I have to do is tell them where to send the stuff and I can be a walking ad for crap?

Apr 12, 2006, 18:37
Re: Airborne Lasers Apr 12, 2006, 18:37
Apr 12, 2006, 18:37

While I'm sure the military geeks have thought of this, there seem to be some fairly basic things you could do to reduce the effectiveness of the ABL.

Yeah, you've named some good points. The Soviet military came to similar conclusions when the big rage back in the Cold War was Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative. I'm not too keen on the actual technologies behind the targeting systems, but I'd say they had most of the problems (potential and known) largely worked out. Usually the military won't discuss strategic weapons to this length without having some hard most of their ducks in a row, so to speak.

Being able to blow up mine fields with a laser? Very cool.

Oh yeah. The site of a minefield being lit up by EOD is fun...munition dumps are another cool site to watch. I've never seen the laser doing its magic, but I would imagine in Afghanistan they didn't personnel for miles around. Where they did was to keep goat herders from inadvertantly wandering into the blast radius.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older