Evening Q&As

• UT2007
    UT2007World's Exclusive Interview with Jeff Morris is a Q&A with Epic Games about the upcoming continuation of their shooter series: "In general we wanted to find the correct balance between the original UT’s play style and where it evolved to in UT2004. To that end we’ve upped the weapons power slightly, and designed levels that keep the combat range a little tighter. The mobility options introduced in UT2003, like double jump and wall dodging, are still present, but with the increased gravity aren’t as dominating as in the last title."
  • John Romero
    The John Romero Q&A Part Two on Computer and Video Games continues their conversation with the Romero, getting into the ION Storm story: "Well, the philosophy was that we were going to licence engines - I wasn't going to do engine design and game design at the same time because that sucks. Even at the end of my time at id Software I had talked to Adrian and Kevin about how we should restructure the company - game engine development at the same time as doing game design just kills the game time. The tech team is stressed because they know they're holding up the game team and the game team are spinning their wheels. What I said was we need to restructure this company and have John, Michael Abrash and American in the technology group, while the game design group is creating products based off of our current technology. We should split the development in half and do it that way and everyone would be much happier. So I told the guys my idea and they agreed, but they still hadn't changed the company - even today."
  • Medal of Honor: Airborne
    The Medal of Honor: Airborne Q&A on Computer and Video Games discusses the upcoming World War II FPS with EA's Patrick Gilmore: "We worked hard to develop a unifying concept that could be a common theme through all the missions. The goal was to give the gameplay a more specific character to identify with. The idea of jumping out of a plane into each of the operations ignited enormous excitement among the team members, and spawned a unique set of innovations. We specifically chose the 82nd because it has the most lasting legacy, and is currently the largest parachute force in the free world."
  • Legend of Mir 3
    RPG Vault's Legend of Mir 3 Q&A - Part 1 discusses WeMade Entertainment's MMORPG with John Ewan: "Legend of Mir 3 isn't just a hack and slash type of MMOG. It provides a variety of features such as competition among guilds, and tax control over players via siege warfare will make you feel the reality; even in the game Death and Taxes RULE! Moreover, the main and individual quests that are linked to the original game story will help you grow your character and earn money with better atmosphere and more excitement. In fact, item crafting will stimulate and set a goal not only for active players but also turn passive ones more active."
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Rohn Jomero
Mar 18, 2006, 13:19
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 13:19
Mar 18, 2006, 13:19

I played it until I couldn't get any further because the artificial "intelligence" wouldn't follow me onto a platform. At that point I'd had enough of shooting those fucking stupid dragonflies and just wanted to play something else. IMHO the game sucked.

But I agree insofar as the community is (IMHO) very immature in terms of how it likes to slam down people for something that really wasn't a big deal. Some advert that some PR goon came up with seems to have offended the entire PC gaming fraternity. But the guy does seem to be blaming everyone but himself in this interview. Daikatana failed because he was a shit manager.

Mar 18, 2006, 11:42
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 11:42
Mar 18, 2006, 11:42

Daikatana was terrible. Yes, I played it. It was painfully, amatuerishly bad.

Mar 18, 2006, 11:16
War
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 11:16
Mar 18, 2006, 11:16
War

>Never does he take any responsibility, all these years later.

I'm still waiting for the community to get over the "bitch" thing, which is essentially what killed Daikatana.

Like with Smart's games, most reviewers and gamers didn't bother going beyond the first level, and just slammed it for the "bitch" deal. Or maybe because id Software planted the failure of Quake on Romero. Talk about humility!

I actually played the game, and found a good, not great game that was a couple of years out of date on release - but the incredible criticism I've read here and everywhere is simply unjustifiable in the facts.

In fact, I consider Daikatana far higher than any Quake game. At least it didn't offend me as a gamer like Q3A.

(Go ahead and call me stoopid or whatever now. Just don't go tell anyone else about 'humility' or 'maturity' afterwards. You did not play the game. You're slamming it for some cheesy advertising thing long after it's irrelevant. You won't admit it. You're immature. Good day.)

Mar 18, 2006, 11:06
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 11:06
Mar 18, 2006, 11:06

Very true Squirmer.

Mar 18, 2006, 08:28
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 08:28
Mar 18, 2006, 08:28

there's a decent amount of us that won't be so quick to buy the next id game.
That's possible, but to be sure id would first have to formally announce it and show some of it then we could tell.

Mar 18, 2006, 06:05
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 06:05
Mar 18, 2006, 06:05

He seems like a very self-centred person. I said this, I proposed that, I took over a chunk of Anachronox, and so on. A bit of humility could go a long way with him.

Agreed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Mar 18, 2006, 01:22
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 01:22
Mar 18, 2006, 01:22

I don't like the way he always seems to avoid blame for everything. Daikatana didn't work out the way he intended because of an inexperienced team, because people left during development, because of this and that. Never does he take any responsibility, all these years later.

He seems like a very self-centred person. I said this, I proposed that, I took over a chunk of Anachronox, and so on. A bit of humility could go a long way with him.

Mar 18, 2006, 00:29
Re: Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 00:29
Mar 18, 2006, 00:29

He has a point. Look at Doom 3. Not a very good consensus about it. Sure, it sold well, but there's a decent amount of us that won't be so quick to buy the next id game.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

Rohn Jomero
Mar 18, 2006, 00:07
Rohn Jomero Mar 18, 2006, 00:07
Mar 18, 2006, 00:07

So I told the guys my idea and they agreed, but they still hadn't changed the company - even today
id coulda made millions if they'd only listened!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older