Into the Black

As of now I have still not seen not one single minute of the Olympics. :)

Winter Games Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Play: Monk's Mind Game. Thanks Snake.
Link: 15 Excuses for Calling in Sick.
Stories: Leaked Guns N' Roses Tracks Give Fans Hope.
Science: DNA 'could predict your surname'. Freeman? Morrow?
View : : :
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Oh dear ...
Feb 23, 2006, 02:19
Re: Oh dear ... Feb 23, 2006, 02:19
Feb 23, 2006, 02:19

Anyone know if they ever have had bad bobsledding accidents?

Are you kidding? I think at least ten people have DIED during bobsled races in the Winter Olympics.

Ofcourse, the courses are much safer now since they build better turns that can handle higher speeds. Back in the 80s, the bobsled tracks had big bales of hay on top of the turns, so that when a sled inevitable flung itself out of the track, they'd crash into the bales of hay. That was always great fun.

The danger with bobsledding is if they take a turn too fast, don't correct, then tip over. Going 60mph with your head crushed against the hard track and that 180 lbs sled pushing down on you can't be healthy.

Congrats to Cindy Klassen(forgot her first name) on winning four medals these games. Very impressive. Nice, down to earth kinda girl too.

Creston

Re: Just finished installing...
Feb 22, 2006, 10:01
Re: Just finished installing... Feb 22, 2006, 10:01
Feb 22, 2006, 10:01

Mind if I play with you guys? I think I'm due for some genuine BF2, not having to run up against team killers Do you guys play main SF or regular BF2?

We are currently focusing our server on SF since we can keep it full that way.

Drop me an e-mail.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Re: Oh dear...
Feb 22, 2006, 09:47
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 09:47
Feb 22, 2006, 09:47

I... I don't think I want to.

No, you really don't.

yeah, I will also pass. My time is more valuable than that friggen idiot.

FUNGS 53

Feb 22, 2006, 09:28
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 09:28
Feb 22, 2006, 09:28

No, you really don't.

Feb 22, 2006, 09:04
mag
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 09:04
Feb 22, 2006, 09:04
mag

This guy writes books about masturbation. Check out some of the videos. It's funny shit.

Feb 22, 2006, 09:00
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 09:00
Feb 22, 2006, 09:00

It's not about sports at all, anymore. It's about who can cheat the most without getting caught, and the endorsement deals they'll get...

And this is different from football, baseball, basketball, or any other sport how?

Oh yeah... because the NFL, MLBA, and NBA don't actually do any serious checks for drug use and don't actually do shit if they find someone using. That's right.

We've been watching the Olympics most nights since it's been on, and while some of the sports are mind numbingly boring (ice dancing -- only reason to watch IMO is to gape at the god fucking awful costumes they wear; cross-country skiing -- could we get more boring? Oh... look! Curling!), and yeah, everything is deeply, deeply tape delayed, it's still impressive to see.

Like last night, I knew the results of the 1500m speed skating before I got home (radio spoiled me), including more details about the post-race press conference than NBC aired, but it was still amazing to see the Italian skater blow the crap out of the rest of the field on his last half lap.

And while, yeah, the Olympics has become "just another event" for most (all?) of these sports, the reality is that it's the only event that's very widely televised. Enthusiasts may follow the non-Olympic events, but the general public certainly doesn't. It's kinda interesting to see bobsledding (sleighing?), skeleton, downhill skiing, etc. once every four years... but I wouldn't watch it on a regular basis. Shrug.

Feb 22, 2006, 08:46
Re: Just finished installing... Feb 22, 2006, 08:46
Feb 22, 2006, 08:46

First time SF for me tomorrow night (if all goes as planned) - otherwise, I have actually played more of bf1942 than bf2... so IŽll still be at a disadvantage.

Dan =0)

You can help me save the Earth from a terrible experience... yes, the whole Earth.
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://blog.myspace.com/dankupkamusic

Feb 22, 2006, 07:55
Re: Just finished installing... Feb 22, 2006, 07:55
Feb 22, 2006, 07:55

Dan, head on over to our clan server.
We are usually full, and even though I have everything maxed out in BF2, I had to put almost everything at "Medium" for SF. And now with the patch, I also have to dummy down BF2. Nice huh?

Mind if I play with you guys? I think I'm due for some genuine BF2, not having to run up against team killers Do you guys play main SF or regular BF2?

Feb 22, 2006, 06:52
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 06:52
Feb 22, 2006, 06:52

I dont suppose anyone's checked out JoeBlow's websites (that troll that used to hang around here)? If you want the biggest laugh ever, check out http://www.happeh.com and http://www.angrypenis.org. This guy writes books about masturbation. Check out some of the videos. It's funny shit.

Feb 22, 2006, 06:41
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 06:41
Feb 22, 2006, 06:41

It's not about sports at all, anymore. It's about who can cheat the most without getting caught, and the endorsement deals they'll get...
Find me a sport (ok, a popular sport) where that's not the case. Formula 1 racing, football, American football, tennis, hel - even lawn bowls for all I know. Those oldies need Red Bull to back them

Re: Oh dear ...
Feb 22, 2006, 05:31
Re: Oh dear ... Feb 22, 2006, 05:31
Feb 22, 2006, 05:31

Geeze, and I thought I just got lucky to see that snowboarder lose the race because she was so far ahead she thought she'd show off.

Well, the coverage isn't so bad .. they aren't editing out the accidents. Never seen so many ice dancers falling down, a couple pretty violently. Then tonight, there was the trick ski jumper who busted their knee. How many other sports programs describe who the atheletes are and then show them screaming in pain as the medics rush in? There do seem to be a lot more accidents in the Winter Olympics than summer.

Still want to cath one of those mass ice skate races where they slice each other up with their skates and go flying off into walls.

Anyone know if they ever have had bad bobsledding accidents?

Feb 22, 2006, 05:21
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 05:21
Feb 22, 2006, 05:21

Could there be any more irrelevant sporting event on such a large scale as the olympics?
the presidential elections?

Feb 22, 2006, 02:44
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 02:44
Feb 22, 2006, 02:44

What's "Olympics", Precious?

Roid 'em, Dope 'em, Stick 'em in a luge!

Could there be any more irrelevant sporting event on such a large scale as the olympics? Goes for summer too, don't care about either. Frankly, i think the alternating 2 year thing killed it more than anything else.

I'd rather watch the Geometry Wars medal round...

Feb 22, 2006, 01:42
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 01:42
Feb 22, 2006, 01:42

Coverage sucks. Blows. Chunks, even

NBC's dumbest fucking move is not broadcasting anything live. Seriously, in the year 2006, we're supposed to, what, NOT check ESPN during the day or so, so we can still have some excitement at night?

So every event I see, I already know who's won.
Even during the weekends, they still didn't have shit life. I understand that their primetime show needs viewers, but come on. It's the fucking 21st century.

And there are way way way way way way way way way way way too many commercials. I'm sorry, but if a 39 minute cross country event gets broken up by EIGHT commercial interruptions, that's fucking pathetic. Especially since half of those fucking interruptions are to announce that their normal shows are coming back after the Olympics. Shit, really?

want to see pure displays of speed, power, and skill. Shit like ice dancing should be dropped

Ice dancing and figure skating are typically some of the most watched events, actually

Edit : And nin, I don't think the cheating in the olympics is all THAT profound anymore, especially not in the winter olympics. What, figure skaters, lugers and bobsledders are going to use doping?
Sure, cross country uses, and there's hints that speedskaters might still do so, but a lot of the sports in winter olympics simply don't benefit.

My biggest beef with the olympics, actually, stems from the fact that I see these guys compete all the time.

20 years ago, the olympics was the East vs the West, and we saw matchups we ONLY saw once every four years. Shit, icehockey was a damn event back then. The Russian Machine vs Finland, Sweden, the US? Hot damn. I watched every game.

Seeing the European speedskaters take on the rest of the world? We never saw the japanese back then. Or the americans. Okay, they both sucked back then too, but at least it was something new.

Now, with most of these sports having gone pro, and everyone competing against each other all the time, what is really the difference anymore between the olympics, and a regular event?
I mean, seriously? Because it's called the Olympics, someone winning this downhill is more impressive than the guy who won Kitzbuhel this year? I don't think so. They're the exact same people competing.

It's no longer got that glamor to it, no longer that event that you only saw twice a decade. Now it's just another race.

I still love watching it though. I enjoy having all the sports together in neat packages so I can watch them all. I've probably watched around 50 hours or so so far. Sad it's already almost over again.

Here's to the dutch speedskating girls! Two gold! Whoo!

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 22, 01:47.

Re: Oh - yes, dear...
Feb 22, 2006, 01:39
Re: Oh - yes, dear... Feb 22, 2006, 01:39
Feb 22, 2006, 01:39

They have added too many events. Any event that cannot be judged by a stopwatch, a tape measure, goals/points scored, or a scale has to be looked at very closely to see whether it should be in the games or not.

i suppose this is one of the reasons ive never enjoyed any sort of sports or athletic games at all, with all this excrutiating minutae poured into analysis way above and beyond the most basic "win/lose" outcome - its tedious in a way that i would rather not be bored by

of course i still enjoy watching martial arts and stuff like UFC, where there is a clear picture of "win/lose" - but again, not really as a sort of pasttime, since it also lends itself to that kind of analysis in the "sporting world"

i would much rather spend that time enjoying my own instinctual reality by training my own body and working it out, developing my own skills at movement (martial and otherwise) and discovering my own mind/body oneness, and what lies beyond it once the psyche is still

the status portion of the competetive angle isnt nearly as important to me as the basic "kill or be killed" red light priority... but, i guess im just old school like that

plus, living rapture beats sedentary spud-dom ANY day of the week in my book

but boob tubes do make great crystal balls if you know ov thee true magicz...

Feb 22, 2006, 01:29
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 01:29
Feb 22, 2006, 01:29

Well, I heard that Sweden beat the US in the olympic hockey. So I'm satisfied
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

Feb 22, 2006, 01:24
Re: Oh dear... Feb 22, 2006, 01:24
Feb 22, 2006, 01:24

If you missed the ice dancing, you missed the best part. Tanith Belbin - - totally hot!

-----------------------------------
Wait until next year.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Feb 22, 2006, 00:55
Re: Just finished installing... Feb 22, 2006, 00:55
Feb 22, 2006, 00:55

Dan, head on over to our clan server.
We are usually full, and even though I have everything maxed out in BF2, I had to put almost everything at "Medium" for SF. And now with the patch, I also have to dummy down BF2. Nice huh?

FUNGS 53

Just finished installing...
Feb 22, 2006, 00:49
Just finished installing... Feb 22, 2006, 00:49

Bleh. What a processor-hogging app it was.

Well, I'll try BF2:SF tomorrow night - after I get home from job #2...

My handle (you will laugh!) is Nasal_Implants ..

EDIT: Sorry about the double-post. Connection issues, I suppose...

Dan =0)

You can help me save the Earth from a terrible experience... yes, the whole Earth.
This comment was edited on Feb 22, 00:50.

Just finished installing...
Just finished installing... Feb 22, 2006, 00:49

Bleh. What a processor-hogging app it was.

Well, I'll try BF2:SF tomorrow night - after I get home from job #2...

My handle (you will laugh!) is Nasal_Implants ..

Dan =0)

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older