EA versus Ubisoft

EA, Ubisoft trade fire over hire on GameSpot outlines a conflict between the two gaming companies over staffing, as the practice of forcing employees to sign non-compete clauses has inspired a public war:
Today's letter has rekindled the war of words between the two publishers. "I am shocked," Ubisoft Montreal president and general manager Martin Tremblay said in a telephone interview tonight. "They accuse us of blocking the expansion of the [game] industry in Quebec ... have they lost their minds?"

In a statement, Electronic Arts wrote that it "perceives this practice [of non-compete clauses] as a constraint on the creative freedom of the individual employee," as well as "a severe limitation on the growth of the multi-media industry in Quebec." The statement calls the non-compete clause--a business practice which is legal in Quebec--as being "contrary to the spirit of the salary grants that Quebec offers to the industry which are designed to stimulate growth and creative freedom."

Tremblay said he first learned of the letter from members of the press seeking comment. The letter, signed by his former colleague, Alain Tascan (EA Montreal's general manager) was sent to Tremblay as well as EA's local attorneys of record, the Montreal law firm of Heenan Blaikie.
View : : :
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Feb 2, 2006, 23:17
Re: No subject Feb 2, 2006, 23:17
Feb 2, 2006, 23:17

The point is that digital distribution makes it possible for anyone to setup shop with very little cost. Unlike the music industry, we arent talking about songs where big music publishers own the rights to the music. With games its a different beast. If some new young ID software of the future makes their own game, they can distribute it digitally whichever way they want. If you belieive the internet will eventually be controlled by 2 or 3 big entities than thats another story, but I just dont see that happening. No one entity can control the internet at least not now and hopefully never.

Sure EA or Vivendi may have their own large digital distribution, but folks who play games tend to be more technical and aware of alternative offerings. its not like the music industry where you have gobs of AOL or Apple folks that think the only way you can aquire or buy downloadable music is through Itunes. Hollywood and big business are still trying to figure out the game market and they've barely scratched the surface and they are very aloof to the different markets.

Hollywood is really the big idiot here. they are going to lose a lot of money because they just dont get it. You cannot just assume you can make movies based on games (crappy ones at that) or make storyline games with cinematic sequences starring the voices and digital representation of famous actors, Its stupid.

What I hope happens is that some new companies will form founded by game developers or gamers. Garage Games is one of those companies. There will be more. What I cant stand is how slimey these big media conglomerate types are to suck up to tech. All they see is money, they have absolutely no passion for games like they have say for movies or music. To them you'ra all masses of preteen and teenage boys that play things called games and will spend your money freely.
This comment was edited on Feb 2, 23:28.

Feb 2, 2006, 00:58
Re: No subject Feb 2, 2006, 00:58
Feb 2, 2006, 00:58

"I cannot wait for the turnover point when digital distribution slays these dogs to a well deserved death. The beauty will be the day when homegrown development teams can make and distribute their own games."

I think you're overestimating digitial distribution. Once it is mainstream and controllable (ala Steam, etc), it will merely be controlled by the same bodies that currently make up the crooked publishers.
The only method of distribution that is free from this kind of mismanagement is P2P, but then it's nearly impossible to get information for each and every product on a P2P network. So if joe blow makes game of the year and releases it in this manner it just won't reach the full scope of the intended audience. The benefit of asshole-publishers and their ilk is that they put up their money to inform audiences about their products, but obviously this is a double edged sword since we just come full circle and end up getting lied to about how great Shit-Game-2000® is because PublisherX wants us to fill their pockets.

So that's where things lie. Digitial distribution will just be controlled by people with enough money to utilize it to it's fullest extent, and we'll be right back where we started. In mean time, we should all just boycott them by pirating games outright.

Feb 1, 2006, 23:07
Re: No subject Feb 1, 2006, 23:07
Feb 1, 2006, 23:07

game publishers are the network exxecutives of today. They want to set the agenda for games, control the content delivered and basically provide mush.

I cannot wait for the turnover point when digital distribution slays these dogs to a well deserved death. The beauty will be the day when homegrown development teams can make and distribute their own games.

No subject
Feb 1, 2006, 21:29
No subject Feb 1, 2006, 21:29
Feb 1, 2006, 21:29

Far Cry vs. Crysis

Feb 1, 2006, 20:55
Re: No subject Feb 1, 2006, 20:55
Feb 1, 2006, 20:55

If I remember right, Quebec has a pretty strict "labour relations board" type thing in place. If everyong at Ubisoft Montreal was being forced to lie on their timesheets, someone would have complained and had an investigation launched. Organizations that size don't force things like that on staff without having at least one dissenter. And when the whole EA_Spouse thing happened, someone likely would have spoken up if Ubisoft Montreal did the same thing. Not that I think Ubisoft is infallable or anything, I just think this particular case is EA whining because Ubisoft has implemented something that makes EA's shrewd anti-competitive practices harder to implement.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
MK DS Friend Code: 210513038300
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Feb 1, 2006, 20:03
Re: No subject Feb 1, 2006, 20:03
Feb 1, 2006, 20:03

Ubisoft forces its employee's to lie on timesheets and put 40 hrs a week regardless of how much they work. The entire corp is full of demoralizing shit aimed at their developers...this is why anyone worth there spit who can speak english leaves the studio.

And now senior Quebecois Fucker is denying Ubi montreal destroys the spirit of the industry? OF course they do. This letter just exposes the tip of the iceburg.

No subject
Feb 1, 2006, 19:51
No subject Feb 1, 2006, 19:51
Feb 1, 2006, 19:51

EA RUN AWAY!

Feb 1, 2006, 18:59
Re: No subject Feb 1, 2006, 18:59
Feb 1, 2006, 18:59

EA is so well known in the industry as a sweat-shop that most of its non-executive employees are either newbies looking for a break or talent-challenged burnouts who can't get a job in any other studio.

Or fresh-out-of-university computer science grads who fall for EA's recruiting (especially true in cities where EA has a large presence, such as Vancouver). This is one of the reasons I decided to switch from Computer Science to Physical Geography...
This comment was edited on Feb 1, 19:00.

Re: Taking sides.
Feb 1, 2006, 18:04
Re: Taking sides. Feb 1, 2006, 18:04
Feb 1, 2006, 18:04

If I where to take sides between EA and any other firm, it would be anyother firm. Even if it just where to choose between the lesser of evil's.

As an ex-EA employee myself, I'd certainly agree. Hell, I'd have to side with Lucifer himself over EA.

"You gotta keep on keepin' on, brother!"
- Joe Dirt
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Riley
Feb 1, 2006, 17:53
Riley Feb 1, 2006, 17:53
Feb 1, 2006, 17:53

"At least EA doesn't infect all of its games with Starforce as Ubisoft now does. That makes EA the lesser of the two evils from the consumer's standpoint. "

Just wait.... juuuuust wait.

Re: die
Feb 1, 2006, 16:20
Re: die Feb 1, 2006, 16:20
Feb 1, 2006, 16:20

"Yeeeah... because EA ALWAYs has the best interest of its employees (and potential employees) in mind. Uh-huh."

Especially ironic considering they just laid off 120+ people at the Redwood Shores studio today.

die
Feb 1, 2006, 16:15
Kxmode

die Feb 1, 2006, 16:15
Feb 1, 2006, 16:15
 Kxmode

Ubisoft rolls a 20 and adds +20 to their "drama" skills.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: Taking sides.
Feb 1, 2006, 15:51
Re: Taking sides. Feb 1, 2006, 15:51
Feb 1, 2006, 15:51

If I where to take sides between EA and any other firm, it would be anyother firm. Even if it just where to choose between the lesser of evil's.
At least EA doesn't infect all of its games with Starforce as Ubisoft now does. That makes EA the lesser of the two evils from the consumer's standpoint.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 15:54.

Re: No Comment
Feb 1, 2006, 15:34
nin
Re: No Comment Feb 1, 2006, 15:34
Feb 1, 2006, 15:34
nin

Hahaha! That guy is seriously batshit insane.

Yeah, that event was what inspired the "toss the chair at the google employee" minigame Blue had linked months ago...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

Feb 1, 2006, 15:30
Re: No Comment Feb 1, 2006, 15:30
Feb 1, 2006, 15:30

Hahaha! That guy is seriously batshit insane.

Feb 1, 2006, 15:04
nin
Re: No Comment Feb 1, 2006, 15:04
Feb 1, 2006, 15:04
nin

Should Google sign a clause because Microsoft's employees keep moving over?

Not with comments like:
"F***ing Eric Schmidt is a f***ing pussy. I'm going to f***ing bury that guy, I have done it before and I will do it again. I'm going to f***ing kill Google."

-- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, in response to the departure of Mark Lucovsky, a former Microsoft "distinguished engineer" who left last year to work at Google. The alleged aria, punctuated by the tossing of a chair, was cited in a sworn statement by Lucovsky that became public during court hearings over another Microsoft-to-Google defection in September. Microsoft denies Lucovsky's version of the incident.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/101dumbest/full_list/page3.html

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

Feb 1, 2006, 15:03
Re: No Comment Feb 1, 2006, 15:03
Feb 1, 2006, 15:03

While EA is generally evil and clearly has an alterior motive with this, non-compete clauses are evil too. This is the first time I've heard of non-compete clauses in the industry, personally I'd never agree to one. Working in the game industry is such specific experience, that limiting your ability to work with in the industry is stupid. Sure, maybe one can think that the employee could just get a job outside the industry until the non-compete time expired. However, I had a friend leave the industry, and was not taken seriously or even offered an interview until he took his game industry experience off of his resume. Granted that's only one specific case, but it's a scary thought.
I just think it's crazy to limit your ability to work in an industry which you've custom fitted yourself for. This goes for any industry and any non-compete clauses.

Feb 1, 2006, 14:57
Re: No Comment Feb 1, 2006, 14:57
Feb 1, 2006, 14:57

Should Google sign a clause because Microsoft's employees keep moving over?

Feb 1, 2006, 14:56
Re: No Comment Feb 1, 2006, 14:56
Feb 1, 2006, 14:56

I don't imagine Canada's labor laws/practices are all that radically different from the US

Most of Canada's labour laws are not very different from the US. The exception is Quebec. I'm not familiar with exactly how it is different, but I do know that Quebec is a special case in many ways as far as legal codes are concerned.

Feb 1, 2006, 14:00
Re: No Comment Feb 1, 2006, 14:00
Feb 1, 2006, 14:00

I imagine they probably change their attitudes to fit whatever country they're in. I don't imagine Canada's labor laws/practices are all that radically different from the US. That said, what differences there are EA adjusts itself to?

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older