Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Romero Goes MMO

John Romero to Trump the WoW Factor on Computer and Video Games reveals that the designer is at work on an MMORPG for an unnamed start-up, though details are scant at this time:

"I started looking at what I was going to do next, so I looked around on the net and I saw there was an opportunity for an MMO, there was a person starting an MMO so I contacted him," Romero told us recently, explaining where his involvement with the project began. "We talked for hours on the phone, we had a lot of common interests and ideas about this title and so basically this guy was really excited, brought me on as a co-founder of the company and I've been here for almost four months now."

Strangely, Romero isn't willing to divulge the name of the company, nor is he slapping a name on the MMO title. "I can't really say too much... this is complete secret, stealth company", he said, adding cryptically that "This is not a typical games company and we're not making typical games".

According to Romero (who says he loves MMOs), the game he's working on is "very different from any other MMO for some special reasons." Precisely what those special reasons are, he wouldn't elaborate. He did, however, admit that funding for the project is lurking in the many millions of dollars bracket. "It's a lot of money, this is the most money I've ever spent on a game - in Gauntlet it was like $10 million, but this is much more," Romero revealed.

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Romero Feb 1, 2006, 15:20 Tango

People get built up and torn down everwhere else too. It's not just a "game" thing...
Sure but firstly the only people who get pissed off at it were ones stupid enough to buy into the marketing hype. But knock the game all you want - it did suck. It was awful. Those fucking awful dragonflies, the shit level design, the annoying sidekicks and did I mention those GODDAMN DRAGONFLIES?!

Second, if someone makes a shocking movie, they get shit for it. Affleck and Gigli for instance. But what movie fans dont do is embark on a childish campaign talking shit about his wife/car/hair/money/whatever. If it emerges he will star in another movie again message boards don't fill up with "yeah but remember Gigli? He lied to us when he told Letterman it was a good movie!". By the way, I discount the IMDB boards in this example - they are worse than /. boards

It just seems that in the gaming industry one shit product and you're tarnished much worse than other creative industries. I suspect it is because even 12 year old kids are big men on the internet.

And that's the risk you take when you call for the spotlight again
Dude, he makes games - of course he's gonna get back into it. But for most gamers the fact that it'll be shit is a foregone conclusion.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 15:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Romero Feb 1, 2006, 10:28 MMORPGHoD

People get built up and torn down everwhere else too. It's not just a "game" thing...

Yup. And that's the risk you take when you call for the spotlight again. I think some of us are tired of seeing Romero hype, as the Romero news blurbs jumped the shark (content wise) years ago. Without any real information, it's just going to be a flame fest. He's better off staying quiet, working on the game, and then going public when he has something to show. As it stands now, the game he may be involved with won't be shown until next year. Big whoop. He's just asking to get pummeled by the Blues News jaded gamer crowd.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 10:29.

52. Re: Romero Feb 1, 2006, 09:29 nin

But if someone sets out goals that turn out to be overambitious and fail to be achieved (which, apparently, only happens in the gaming world), or acts like a big shot (which also only happens in the gaming world, apparently), they are remarkably quick to degenerate into behaving like children in the playground. "ROFLMAO look at his girlfriend / car / comments his marketing department made 5 or 6 years ago / etc."

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

51. Re: Romero Feb 1, 2006, 08:49 Tango

I think we should give him a break and sit back and watch what he can do next.
To be honest I agree. It strikes me as odd - it seems most gamers are willing to be the very model of maturity and adulthood when someone suggests restricting the right of access to games such as GTA. "I'm an adult, let me decide" and "I'm responsible and mature enough to decide what I want to play" seems to be the order of the day.

But if someone sets out goals that turn out to be overambitious and fail to be achieved (which, apparently, only happens in the gaming world), or acts like a big shot (which also only happens in the gaming world, apparently), they are remarkably quick to degenerate into behaving like children in the playground. "ROFLMAO look at his girlfriend / car / comments his marketing department made 5 or 6 years ago / etc."

Daikatana sucked though.

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 08:52.

50. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2006, 00:31 jm0ris0n

Dike Katana Online

Are you thinking a sword based lesbian sex game?

The slogan can be: "we put the 'O' in mmO"

49. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 22:37 MindTrigger

Dike Katana Online: Vaporwars

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
Guild Wars lvl 17 R/Mo: "Oceas Saeco"
"My Gamer Fragged Your Honor Student"

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

48. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 20:55 wtf_man

YOU CAN'T LEVEL WITHOUT YOUR PAL, SUPERFLY!!!

/snicker

"Did you even read cutters post or are you just suffering from rectal cranial inversion." - RedEye9

47. Re: Romero Jan 31, 2006, 20:53 Hump

People bash John, but he's an artist, a creator of content -- a game designer. I think we should give him a break and sit back and watch what he can do next.

John?

EDIT: oops, someone beat me to the same lame joke

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm
This comment was edited on Jan 31, 20:54.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

46. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 20:40 Some Dude

World of Vaporcraft: Coming soon to absolutely nowhere.

45. MMO vs. MMORPG Jan 31, 2006, 19:20 -=(Maverick)=-

Note how the article doesn't actually mention "MMORPG", just "MMO". Just because most MMOs are role-playing games doesn't mean all of them are. And when I read stuff like "very different from any other MMO for some special reasons", I think the "reasons" might very well be that it's not actually an RPG, but some other genre.

Blue, you might want to edit that MMORPG reference in the intro because the article doesn't say that.

Edit: Spellink

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 19:21.

---
The trouble with the global village are all the global village idiots. - Paul Ginsparg

44. The 1300 pixel arrow Jan 31, 2006, 18:52 Camaro76

Maybe it's a MMO for the Phantom console. Your avatar travels with sidekicks who have the IQ of yeast, and together you must battle robotic frogs. Shit, I better get started on the screenplay....

http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-daikatana/

"Yet before you pull out your violin to help paint the somber portrait of Romero being a game designer misunderstood by his fans, you remember the ads that ran three years ago, the ones that screamed, "John Romero Wants To Make You His Bitch!" Back then Daikatana was billed as the glorious follow-up to Quake that was going to be done in seven months. Now, it's a game that is more than two years late, has gone through five lead programmers, and is produced by a company that has reportedly burned through $30 million in a few short years."

'nuff said.

-----
Blue's Post Enhancer Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/bluesnewspostenhancer.user.js
Blue's Punk Buster (Troll-B-Gone) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

43. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 18:37 ShadyPete

/em waves around his Sword of Bitch-making +3

42. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 18:34 DrEvil

And despite the bomb that was Diakatana he probably still makes more than everyone of us.

41. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 18:31 CrimsonPaw

'Daikatana' and "Make you his BITCH" were a long time ago. Isn't it time to move on?

Had he admitted what a piece of shit the game was and redeemed his mistake I would agree, but the guy struts around like he's still one of gaming's big shots, he's gaming's equivalent of Cory Feldman. Yeah the guy contributed to the success of Doom and Quake, but stepping out of ID was like stepping off a cliff for his career.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 18:31.

~~Crim~~

40. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 17:56 Fantaz

Romero doesn't get enough respect! But you really have to enjoy the finer point that come from the game industry with John making us his bitches.

39. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 17:02 Elvis

'Daikatana' and "Make you his BITCH" were a long time ago. Isn't it time to move on?

[cue Jerry Maguire] Someone finally said it!

38. Just die already Jan 31, 2006, 16:34 Fausticle

"It's a lot of money, this is the most money I've ever spent on a game - in Gauntlet it was like $10 million, but this is much more,"

what about the amount of Edios' money you've spent on a game?

37. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 16:25 Prez

Yay! Another John Romero thread! C'mon guys, let's bash him again!

Seriously, the guy seems like kind of a buttwipe, but what is with the obsession? 'Daikatana' and "Make you his BITCH" were a long time ago. Isn't it time to move on?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2006, 16:10 nin

I wonder if it's something like a cell phone MMO or something crazy..

I'd think that would be hard to do, based on the sheer models of phones available, and the way they get phased out so quickly. Even if it was written for Windows Mobile, each phone has varying hardware inside the phone...

(Outside of play by email) I would think support would be a nightmare...

You're also limited by the number of people that would pay to play (or even want to play) on their phones...

edit: My god...imagine if it was only written to run on NGage phones...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/
This comment was edited on Jan 31, 16:13.

35. No subject Jan 31, 2006, 16:00 Synic

I wonder if it's something like a cell phone MMO or something crazy.. or maybe less crazy and more like a X360 MMO? Could be...

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo