6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Previews
Jan 27, 2006, 21:46
DDI
Re: Previews Jan 27, 2006, 21:46
Jan 27, 2006, 21:46
DDI

Could it be that some of them are lenient for bugs because the gameplay is great in the preview build?

Still doesn't excuse the ones they praise then knock for gameplay later though.

Jan 27, 2006, 21:30
Re: Previews Jan 27, 2006, 21:30
Jan 27, 2006, 21:30

Lolicon, the key word there is 'think'. 'thinking' is something most marketing departments sadly lack !

Jan 27, 2006, 13:57
Re: Previews Jan 27, 2006, 13:57
Jan 27, 2006, 13:57

and if a demo or beta doesent stand up to scratch then i dont buy it. simple :-)

lol...you'd think for a presentation that's more or less acting as a first impression of your product, some developer's would really pour more effort into a demo.

Jan 27, 2006, 13:36
Re: Previews Jan 27, 2006, 13:36
Jan 27, 2006, 13:36

I stopped reading previews years ago for this reason. All they do is add to the hype of a game, spewing out the exact same language as the PRs, because the vg journalism industry lacks the backbone to call it like they see it. Granted, if they do they're afraid they'll be blackballed, but is that really much worse than lying to your customers?

I stopped reading magazines for this exact reason, time after time i read glowing previews only to see the game reviewed a month or so later and get slammed.

It just got to the point where i gave up, now i download the demos and see for myself (yey broadband). and if a demo or beta doesent stand up to scratch then i dont buy it. simple :-)

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Problem #6
Jan 27, 2006, 12:34
Problem #6 Jan 27, 2006, 12:34
Jan 27, 2006, 12:34

Gameplay experiences are at least in part system dependent.

It seems to me that most reviewers play games with much better systems than the average user has, which can make a big difference both in gameplay and in presentation.

A similar thing can be found in hardware reviews: they always use cutting-edge tech in reviews. I want to know how videocard X performs in my Athlon XP machine, not in some new 64 bit system.

Previews
Jan 27, 2006, 11:01
Previews Jan 27, 2006, 11:01
Jan 27, 2006, 11:01

That op/ed deals exclusively with reviews, and his points are valid (and in some cases obvious.)

I find previews to be a bigger concern, though. When does a game from a major publisher ever get a negative preview? For a while either PCG or CGW was doing 1/3 page previews of "indie" games, and was harsh to a fault. Then you'd turn to a much lesser looking game from Ubisoft and they'd praise it for 5 paragraphs then add two words of caution.

Sometimes, a month later, there'd be a negative review, and you'd wonder why they hadn't picked up on this in the preview. Othertimes there's a mostly glowing review, or at least somewhat positive one, and you get the feeling they wanted to avoid that egg on their face so they pumped the numbers up a bit.

I stopped reading previews years ago for this reason. All they do is add to the hype of a game, spewing out the exact same language as the PRs, because the vg journalism industry lacks the backbone to call it like they see it. Granted, if they do they're afraid they'll be blackballed, but is that really much worse than lying to your customers?

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older