Out of the Blue

I've been sharing one of MrsBlue's Christmas gifts lately, as she got this neat collection of scented liquid soaps. Two of them are right up my alley, one is chocolate scented, and the other egg nog. Now these are two wonderful flavors, but there is something truly odd about slathering oneself in either... the chocolate in particular makes it hard to feel clean, as it smells like you are bathing in Hershey's syrup.

Scented Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Link: Myst Rocket Ship.
Stories: McAuliffe remembered 20 years after Challenger explosion.
Science: Regeneration Sans Stem Cells.
Media: Keyboard Musical Master.
Crazy Frog Halo Version.
Follow-ups: 'Wrecking ball' could break the ice on Mars.
GM donates $2,500 in parts to stolen Corvette guy.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.
Dr. Fun.
FoxTrot. Thanks Phillip.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jan 27, 2006, 12:19
Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 12:19
Jan 27, 2006, 12:19

I thought you just upgraded...
No... just the hard disks. Changed my old 300Gb PATA data disk for two 300Gb SATAs. And bought XP MCE. Proper hardware upgrade will have to wait for a while.

Jan 27, 2006, 10:43
Enahs

Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 10:43
Jan 27, 2006, 10:43
 Enahs

That was the one and only mistake I have ever made with hardware.

This was not a mistake I made though!

The only mistake I ever made was lending out my power screwdriver I only use for computers to somebody. When I got it back I forgot to check the torque setting. Man, that sucked balls. It cracked the motherboard around the screw hole, but their where no leads there at all so it still worked fine.

Other then that I have never done any physical damage to any computer part I was not trying to do on purpose.

I am very safe and gentle!

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Jan 27, 2006, 10:40
Enahs

Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 10:40
Jan 27, 2006, 10:40
 Enahs

Pull the ground wire(s) free before pulling the power and you're guaranteed to release the magic smoke every time!

One, the two grounds are in the middle. Since one side always comes off first, it would be near impossible (for me anyway) to remove the ground first. So I knew my power supply was safe, and if it did not do jack to it, it was not going to do jack to everything or anything else.

But I am removing the power from the drive to the power supply, so that would only affect the drive and not the motherboard. Motherboards have long since built it protection to protect from critical failures when the drive power suddenly just dies….so no biggie.

But again, like I said to begin with, do not do it. I was trying to break my dvd drive even more because it was pissing me to hell off. It only did not work right because I am betting it was not plugged in all the way/shook loose from the drive spinning.

If you pick the right two holes you can do that completely safely. You won't even trip the breaker.
Yeah, but that is no fun!

- W. C. Fields

Jan 27, 2006, 10:21
nin
Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 10:21
Jan 27, 2006, 10:21
nin

Hey now.

I'm just teasing ya a bit!

If something is broke there is nothing working with breaking it more!
Just in this case, in trying to break it more I accidentally fixed it!

I punted a 486 like a football once, after it wouldn't behave.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

Jan 27, 2006, 09:44
Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 09:44
Jan 27, 2006, 09:44

Motherboards have long had protection for this so there was no risk of damaging it.

And, uh, exactly what protection would that be?

Pull the ground wire(s) free before pulling the power and you're guaranteed to release the magic smoke every time!

stick one in each part of the socket.

If you pick the right two holes you can do that completely safely. You won't even trip the breaker.

Pick the wrong two and you'd better hope the breaker trips...

Jan 27, 2006, 09:29
Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 09:29
Jan 27, 2006, 09:29

Speaking of dumb things to do while your PC is on - don't put a screwdriver near it - ever.

While upgrading a machine way back in the day, I was installing the new 33.6 modem. Had the cover off to make sure everything worked before I put it all back together, and was putting a screw in while it was dialing one of my favorite local message boards.

Well, needless to say the screw dropped off it's intended location and hit the MB!!!! No smoke. No sound. Nuttin. The MB arc'd and turned itself off before any damage was done! Couldn't believe it.

That was the one and only mistake I have ever made with hardware.

-Although I once worked with a guy that thought he had "hot swap" SCSI disks in the Dell server he was setting up for a client and pulled one out to prove it after he was done installing everything! ahahahahahah I will let you use your imagination on that one.

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Jan 27, 2006, 09:24
Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 09:24
Jan 27, 2006, 09:24

The drive was not working, so what did I care if it screwed it up more? Motherboards have long had protection for this so there was no risk of damaging it.

ehhehehe Famous last words to a client.

FUNGS 53

Jan 27, 2006, 09:12
Enahs

Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 09:12
Jan 27, 2006, 09:12
 Enahs

Join us next week, when Enahs tells us how he was having a bad day, stuck his finger in a electric socket, and how he's been fine ever since.

Hey now.
The drive was not working, so what did I care if it screwed it up more? Motherboards have long had protection for this so there was no risk of damaging it.

If something is broke there is nothing working with breaking it more!
Just in this case, in trying to break it more I accidentally fixed it!

And no no no…you do not stick your finger in a electrical socket. It will not fit. When you do is taking two paper clips, unwind them…and stick one in each part of the socket.
Fun fun fun!

- W. C. Fields

Jan 27, 2006, 09:02
Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 09:02
Jan 27, 2006, 09:02

While clearly it is not a permanent solution, I may just leave it until I upgrade.

I thought you just upgraded...

Yes, I know how dumb that was... you can all laugh at me now

Not so much laughing as staring at you in disbelief while slowly backing away...

Actually, if that fan was spinning at speed then you're lucky the blades didn't fly off as little plastic bits of doom...

Jan 27, 2006, 04:58
Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 04:58
Jan 27, 2006, 04:58

Try swapping various cables... change the power cable for another one, and the IDE cable. My boot drive wasn't working the other day after my recent digging around in my PC and all it was was a dodgy power lead.

Speaking of dumb things to do while your PC is on - don't put a screwdriver near it - ever. Not so much from an electrocution prevention thing, but I had the side of my case off the other day with the thing running, and was changing a fan grille (for one with a dust filter). While casually positioning the grille with one hand, I hear a nasty churning noise similar to the wood chipper in Fargo. I had accidentally stuck the screwdriver (held in my other hand) in the fan of the cpu heatsink - an aftermarket job from Zalman http://tinyurl.com/3tpl8. One of the fan blades fell off, which meant the whole thing was terribly unbalanced. While it still would push air effectively it sounded like the aforementioned wood chipper.

Unfortunately replacing the fan on Zalman products is a nightmare, and I had no Arctic Silver (don't start spreading vs tiny-dot :)) so I didn't want to take the heatsink off.

So I unplugged the fan, snapped all the blades off, and changed it for my current setup - a case fan dangling over the heatsink, secured by wires. While it sounds (and looks) very dodgy, it is, funnily enough, far more effective than the Zalman fan - CPU temps have dropped by about 8C!

While clearly it is not a permanent solution, I may just leave it until I upgrade.

Yes, I know how dumb that was... you can all laugh at me now

By the way, what happened to Ray? And also... AOE III is awesome.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 05:00.

Jan 26, 2006, 22:41
nin
Re: No subject Jan 26, 2006, 22:41
Jan 26, 2006, 22:41
nin

I do not recommend this…but one time when my DVD drive was screwing up and eventually I just got pissed and unplugged the power from the drive while it was trying to do something. Plugged it back up and it has been working perfect ever since….

Join us next week, when Enahs tells us how he was having a bad day, stuck his finger in a electric socket, and how he's been fine ever since.

GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Jan 26, 2006, 22:40
Re: No subject Jan 26, 2006, 22:40
Jan 26, 2006, 22:40

Well, that was fun.

Zone Alarm's program control is a royal pain in the ass during a re-install. Especially when it's blocking the program that is used to set up the wireless mouse and keyboard, and since you have no control you can't click the friggin' 'allow' button.....

Also: I <3 Flash Drives.

---
Xfire: GreySpire
GW: Alia Arjel Mo/Me

Jan 26, 2006, 22:35
Re: No subject Jan 26, 2006, 22:35
Jan 26, 2006, 22:35

Make sure your cables are plugged in good.

I do not recommend this…but one time when my DVD drive was screwing up and eventually I just got pissed and unplugged the power from the drive while it was trying to do something. Plugged it back up and it has been working perfect ever since….

hehehe, yeah, I don't think I will be cutting the power to a device on my pc like that.

FUNGS 53

Jan 26, 2006, 22:26
Enahs

Re: No subject Jan 26, 2006, 22:26
Jan 26, 2006, 22:26
 Enahs

Make sure your cables are plugged in good.

- W. C. Fields

Re: *sigh*
Jan 26, 2006, 22:21
Re: *sigh* Jan 26, 2006, 22:21
Jan 26, 2006, 22:21

Is Aleve actually in the same category as Naproxen?

Naproxen is the generic name for Aleve. They're the exact same thing -- like Tylenol and Aceteminophen (sp?).

Bats - sounds like the drive is going south (as you know). May want to check doom9.net or cdrfaq.org or similar (cdfreaks.com maybe?). Not my area of expertise.

No subject
Jan 26, 2006, 22:11
No subject Jan 26, 2006, 22:11
Jan 26, 2006, 22:11

Actually, putting in a blank DVD doesn't even bring up the menu, it is having a hard time reading it and asking me what to do.

Log files said the ambigious "driver detected an error on device cdrom\drive0" or something. Damn. Looks like RMA.

FUNGS 53

Jan 26, 2006, 22:06
Re: No subject Jan 26, 2006, 22:06
Jan 26, 2006, 22:06

nada. was thinking about trying again, but flushing the logs and checknig them afterwards.

I guess try that.

/edit: Not even a year I don't think. Maybe I can send it back. I actually kept the box this time.

FUNGS 53

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 22:07.

Jan 26, 2006, 21:28
nin
Re: No subject Jan 26, 2006, 21:28
Jan 26, 2006, 21:28
nin

Alright guys....calling out the dogs.

Come out of the garden, baby
You'll catch your death in the fog
Young girl, they call them the Diamond Dogs

Anyway...

Sounds like your drive is wearing out and/or dirty...how old is it?

Did you check the device manager to see if there were read errors (I know discs are covered in there, and pretty sure atapi errors are also)...

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 21:32.

No subject
Jan 26, 2006, 20:50
No subject Jan 26, 2006, 20:50
Jan 26, 2006, 20:50

Alright guys....calling out the dogs.

Been having weird issues with my Plextor 716A DVD/CD drive. Disks aren't always reading in it (DVDs) and I am having a hell of a time copying DVDs. (Don't start on the moral shit)

Earlier today it woudn't eject (button press or through right click and "eject").

I updated the firmware, and have 3 DVDs here to copy - and it won't read any of them.

Drivers are not an issue, they are not available.

Is/are there programs I can use to test the drive?
It is fine if I need a new one, but I would like to know rather than just get another drive.

FUNGS 53

Re: OotB
Jan 26, 2006, 19:55
Re: OotB Jan 26, 2006, 19:55
Jan 26, 2006, 19:55

Through the murk of that video it looks like it's probably Rick Wakeman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Wakeman

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older