Out of the Blue

See I knew that NFL schedule shift was a bad idea yesterday. I left for home after the first game, which is normally when the second game would have ended. I drove home in the rain, which was just starting to turn into snow as I got home. Had I stayed for the second game, I'd have been driving home in the ensuing snowstorm.

R.I.P.: Shelley Winters, Winner of Two Oscars, Dies at 83.

Timely Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Links: Letters to Walken. Thanks unrealnali.
TBS Department of Humor Analysis.
Science: Lowering Expectations at Science's Frontier (registration required).
Auction: Queen Victoria's Third to Last Fart in a Jar! Vintage!! Thanks ToastyBuffoon.
Follow-up: Stardust spacecraft lands successfully in Utah.
Teh Funny: FoxTrot.
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: bad playcall at ending
Jan 16, 2006, 22:57
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 22:57
Jan 16, 2006, 22:57

My biggest beef with American Football is that the NFL is making the rules way too fucking idiotic to be even fun anymore, there are too many flags on too many spectacular plays, turning every game into a dreary grindfest, and there is way way way way way way way way way too many damned commercials, especially on that fucking Fox. 3rd down, they didn't make it. Here comes the Field Goal unit. Commercial. Kick the field goal. commercial. Here's the kickoff. Commercial. 1st down.
Gametime elapsed : 11 seconds
real time elapses : 24 minutes.

AND LETS NOT GET STARTED ON THE ANNOUNCERS!
SOMEONE FUCKING KILL MADDEN ALREADY!

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Jan 16, 2006, 22:23
Enahs

Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 22:23
Jan 16, 2006, 22:23
 Enahs

BSGSST:
I totally agree with you. But you are just supposed to believe he loves her and is being framed...I dunno. That whole thread and the drinking problem thread (or at least how it was handled) are the two worst aspects of season one).

Mostly what sells it for me is Edward James Olmos (the episode about the investigation and how he handles it and how EJO acts it out is bar none the definition of the perfect commander/captain IMHO)) and Jamie Calius as Baltir (I hate the character) but I think that guy is just perfect as him. Plus, again…that cylon chick is hot! (she should go with more dark blonde or light brunette hair though).

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.
This comment was edited on Jan 16, 22:26.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Jan 16, 2006, 22:14
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 22:14
Jan 16, 2006, 22:14

In Rugby, there is 1/100th of the monster hits there is in the NFL. You don't have guys running 110% at eachother (watch a punt return or a kickoff). So yeah.....nice try.

The biggest difference in Rugby vs American Football is that in rugby the teams start off in a scrum, ie all touching each other, and then they all chase the guy with the ball, so they are all more or less going in the same direction.

Whereas in American Football, they start off away from each other, and are going directly into each other.

Anyone with even the slightest rudimentary understanding of physics can see how the hits are harder in American Football. Directly opposed force.

That's ofcourse not counting the fact that a large large majority of the NFL players are juiced up and just absolutely freakishly strong. We're talking guys who spend six hours a day pumping weights.

Without pads and such in the NFL, a dozen players would die every single week. This has nothing to do with them being pussies and that "rugby players are more 'ard mate!"
It's simple common sense based on the way the game is played.

My biggest beef with American Football is that the NFL is making the rules way too fucking idiotic to be even fun anymore, there are too many flags on too many spectacular plays, turning every game into a dreary grindfest, and there is way way way way way way way way way too many damned commercials, especially on that fucking Fox. 3rd down, they didn't make it. Here comes the Field Goal unit. Commercial. Kick the field goal. commercial. Here's the kickoff. Commercial. 1st down.
Gametime elapsed : 11 seconds
real time elapses : 24 minutes.

Creston

Edit : Enahs, I agree with what you said about BSG, and I understand their dilemma in trying to cram as much in as few shows as possible, but it still doesn't make sense for certain things happening that just SHOULDN'T be happening. (secret text) If your entire species is about to be wiped out, the LAST thing any sane human being would do is cover for a terrorist who was blowing HOLES IN YOUR SHIP and wasting your water supply.
Unless, ofcourse, Chief is a Cylon too...

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 22:22.

Jan 16, 2006, 21:36
Enahs

Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 21:36
Jan 16, 2006, 21:36
 Enahs

One, but only if it went to Science. hehehhehehe
Or would they freeze them? Incase I wanted them back?
Just askin.

They would be used on an episode of Fear Factor (do they still make that show?).

You can play for any team you want!

- W. C. Fields

Jan 16, 2006, 21:15
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 21:15
Jan 16, 2006, 21:15

Would you give your testicles?

And with that, the thread takes a sudden, unexpected turn...

I'd rather not know, personally.

One, but only if it went to Science. hehehhehehe
Or would they freeze them? Incase I wanted them back?
Just askin.

FUNGS 53

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 21:16.

Jan 16, 2006, 19:44
nin
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 19:44
Jan 16, 2006, 19:44
nin

And with that, the thread takes a sudden, unexpected turn...

I'd rather not know, personally.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

Jan 16, 2006, 19:34
Enahs

Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 19:34
Jan 16, 2006, 19:34
 Enahs

I would give anything to be able to play again. Anything.

- W. C. Fields

Jan 16, 2006, 19:21
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 19:21
Jan 16, 2006, 19:21

In Rugby, there is 1/100th of the monster hits there is in the NFL. You don't have guys running 110% at eachother (watch a punt return or a kickoff).

I'm not sure that's true. But I watch very little NFL and I doubt you watch hours of rugby. Besides, I'm not sure the point of this debate - they're both cool games

True - but I HAVE watched a lot of rugby. There isn't the amount of HIGH SPEED contact. Mostly it is strung out and side tackles are made. Takcles are usually gang tackles, not one on one head to head tackles.

On top of that, I played 9 years of American football (had to quit because of multiple injuries: read: over 8 concussions). I would describe American football as, "Dress up in pads, helmet, and shoes. Find the nearest brick wall, and then run into it as hard as you can, every minute, for 60 minutes." Played quaterback for 3 years, running back for 6 years, some wide receiver, always started, and ALWAYS played defensive also (coaches hated it - defensive is also why I got injured). Left outside linebacker and safety. I would give anything to be able to play again. Anything.

FUNGS 53

Jan 16, 2006, 17:05
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 17:05
Jan 16, 2006, 17:05

In Rugby, there is 1/100th of the monster hits there is in the NFL. You don't have guys running 110% at eachother (watch a punt return or a kickoff).
I'm not sure that's true. But I watch very little NFL and I doubt you watch hours of rugby. Besides, I'm not sure the point of this debate - they're both cool games

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 17:05.

Jan 16, 2006, 17:01
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 17:01
Jan 16, 2006, 17:01

Glad to have you visit! Where are you going - northern or southern CA or both? If you are only visiting the LA/SoCal area, please don't judge the rest of the state by what you see there....
My plan is to start at the top and drive down through the wine area, via Yountville (French Laundry :)), San Fran, LA, San Diego, Palm Springs, the desert, and finally Las Vegas (yeah I know it's not CA :)). I have two decent vacations before starting work properly, and I intend to use one up on the state I have wanted to visit since I was a small boy playing Hexen II

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 17:03.

Jan 16, 2006, 11:19
Enahs

Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 11:19
Jan 16, 2006, 11:19
 Enahs

I guess what confuses me about football is why they need to wear pads when rugby players don't, and are (generally) a lot bigger and harder than football wusses

In Rugby, there is 1/100th of the monster hits there is in the NFL. You don't have guys running 110% at eachother (watch a punt return or a kickoff). So yeah.....nice try.

I gotta agree with Batman here. Go some find guy the same weight as you and run into each other running as fast as you can. Then do it 100 more times in a row! There is probably not a day goes by that football is being played that somebody is injured fairly badly.

But I think rugby is more entertaining to watch.
I never could really get into any sports other the MMA , Ultimate Fighting style (all kinds of organizations that do it) and certain kick boxing styles.

Though I will admit, it is always fun to turn over to basketball or football in the last 5 minutes and root for the losing team to make up the points and win!

- W. C. Fields

Re: Best game ever? Doubtful
Jan 16, 2006, 11:14
Enahs

Re: Best game ever? Doubtful Jan 16, 2006, 11:14
Jan 16, 2006, 11:14
 Enahs

BSGSST:
I'm still enjoying it, but there's a bit TOO much sighing, bickering amongst characters and emotional drama in it . Even my wife says it's a soap opera!

Yes, that is my biggest complaint and have said it many times!

Also, in season one, what the FUCK is wrong with the Chief (engineer)? Boomer places fucking C4 detonators everywhere, and yet he keeps covering for her? Yeah, oh well, she just blew a couple of holes in your ship, what difference does it make? That seems extremely far fetched, even if he's madly in love with her.

I think your two problems (and I have the same problems with it) are connected.

They did have one general big plot when they started; they where just not sure how many seasons they would get. As a result, there is way too much crammed in too quickly. If all of season ones (12 episodes) was spread out over a normal 24 episode season it would be a lot better and a lot less soap opera like.

The good news is in season 2 they seemed to have cut down a little on some of the soap opera stuff, but there is still a fair bit and I still think they should slow the pace down some.

- W. C. Fields

Jan 16, 2006, 10:10
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 10:10
Jan 16, 2006, 10:10

I guess what confuses me about football is why they need to wear pads when rugby players don't, and are (generally) a lot bigger and harder than football wusses

FUNGS 53

Jan 16, 2006, 10:03
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 10:03
Jan 16, 2006, 10:03

This (or next) summer when I do my California tour, I'm gonna make sure I see NFL, NBA and MLB games. I feel I should understand what the fuss is all about

Glad to have you visit! Where are you going - northern or southern CA or both? If you are only visiting the LA/SoCal area, please don't judge the rest of the state by what you see there....

Hope you have the time to visit the Wine Country (Napa Valley area - little bit northeast of SF), the NorCal coast, and Gold Country (along Hwy 49 near Sacramento) as well, for example, to counterbalance whatever it is you get exposed to down there.

Edit - you also don't want to see the Lakers or Clippers or Warriors - the best NBA fans/experience is at ARCO Arena with the Kings, baby! Hopefully they will be playing better by the time you visit. Unless you are a Raider fan and know what to expect when you go to the game at the Coliseum, I would really advise going to a 49er or Charger game. As far as baseball and hockey go, you're on your own. Sharks games are pretty popular, though, from what I understand.

*** Warhawk ***

Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 10:14.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Jan 16, 2006, 08:54
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 08:54
Jan 16, 2006, 08:54

I was at a business trip in Cambridge, Mass a while ago. We had a big company dinner at a restaurant during the whole "Red Sox" thing. It was either during the World Series, or the game that decided if the Sox went to the World Series (whatever that game is called) and they had TVs set up so we could watch the game.

Anyway, of about 30 of us, maybe 12 were from Europe. For a good chunk of the time we had to explain what was going on (and the rules) as most of them had never seen a baseball game. And I mean all of the rules: throwing the ball to the base to get the out, foul balls, strikes, strike zones, etc.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Jan 16, 2006, 08:38
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 08:38
Jan 16, 2006, 08:38

Sounds like you need a Tivo or MythTv box. I love watching football with a 30 second skip button on my MythTv box. Hit it once between plays, and it puts you right to the next play (unless they are running a hurry-up offense) I usually start watching games 2 hours after they start, and I end at the same time as live tv. This way, I watch football games in about an hour.

We do have a Tivo. Z is actually a TiVo evangelist, I swear.

The problem is that our toddler now knows that if she starts talking when the game/show is on, we can pause, let her babble, shuts up, then starts talking again the second the TV comes back on. So we have very limited viewing hours (after she's asleep) to watch TV.

Therefore, we prioritize. Big games (like when my beloved Florida Gators are whooping up on the Bulldogs) are watched. Otherwise, no interest in devoting the hours to football.
Beauty is truth; truth beauty - that is all ye need to know on earth...except TCP/IP.

Jan 16, 2006, 06:56
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 06:56
Jan 16, 2006, 06:56

plus they're playing off the ball so everyone's getting tackled every play,
Good point. This (or next) summer when I do my California tour, I'm gonna make sure I see NFL, NBA and MLB games. I feel I should understand what the fuss is all about

As for cricket, it should be the dullest sport ever conceived. Two teams can play a game for 5 days and call it a draw because of cloud. However, it is actually quite enjoyable.
But only when you're winning Five days for a loss makes it seem a waste of time...

Jan 16, 2006, 06:47
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 06:47
Jan 16, 2006, 06:47

I think it's the other way around - NFL players are bigger and move a damn sight faster than rugby union players, plus they're playing off the ball so everyone's getting tackled every play, whereas in rugby it's mostly the poor sod that has the ball. That said, though, the old studs-in-the-back and fist-in-the-face work a lot better in rugby than in American football. Other than the physical violence, though, the two sports are very dissimilar.

As for cricket, it should be the dullest sport ever conceived. Two teams can play a game for 5 days and call it a draw because of cloud. However, it is actually quite enjoyable.

Jan 16, 2006, 05:48
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 05:48
Jan 16, 2006, 05:48

And second, how do you think us not from old Blighty feel about Cricket?
I concede cricket is complicated - even I don't understand it and I played it at school for years. I guess what confuses me about football is why they need to wear pads when rugby players don't, and are (generally) a lot bigger and harder than football wusses :o:)

Jan 16, 2006, 02:59
Re: bad playcall at ending Jan 16, 2006, 02:59
Jan 16, 2006, 02:59

I kinda like watching football, but not enough to spend several hours watching it, particularly when there's so much other stuff I need to get done... plus trying to watch anything with a toddler around is an excercise in frustration.

Sounds like you need a Tivo or MythTv box. I love watching football with a 30 second skip button on my MythTv box. Hit it once between plays, and it puts you right to the next play (unless they are running a hurry-up offense) I usually start watching games 2 hours after they start, and I end at the same time as live tv. This way, I watch football games in about an hour.

4 taps and I skip all the commercials.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older