UT2007 PC First & Demo Plans

UT2K7 Released first on PS3 or PC on the Atari Forums (thanks Frans and GameGossip) has word from Epic that Unreal Tournament 2007 will be released on PCs before consoles, and that there are plans to precede the game's release with a demo:
PC first. We're not scheduled to be a ps3 launch title, not certain where those news sites are getting that from. There will be a pre-release demo (on the PC at least).
View : : :
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Jan 4, 2006, 19:13
... Jan 4, 2006, 19:13
Jan 4, 2006, 19:13

Higher costs requires higher demand if prices are to remain the same. I don't know the figures, but if the gaming market is not expanding as fast as costs are rising (and inflation is taken into account) then of course costs are going to go up.

Yes, but if higher prices lead to less people buying and resorting to piracy then it completely defeats the point. The problem with lack of sales is that with most games there is no love in their production, they are just pop-games designed to make profit, chucked out the door regardless of their state as long as they make money - that's why games like Half-Life 2 and Civ4 stand out, as the developers go above and beyond. Games don't have to have a new engine to sell, in fact I'd rather games used simpler graphics and more time was spent producing better gameplay.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Re: No subject
Jan 4, 2006, 14:26
Re: No subject Jan 4, 2006, 14:26
Jan 4, 2006, 14:26

Yeah but games are costing more and more to develop these days. I would imagine few ever see a decent profit for the investment required. Higher costs requires higher demand if prices are to remain the same. I don't know the figures, but if the gaming market is not expanding as fast as costs are rising (and inflation is taken into account) then of course costs are going to go up.

Of course, if the gaming market is expanding, then you're absolutely right.

Jan 3, 2006, 16:11
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 16:11
Jan 3, 2006, 16:11

Next generation they will cost $70... But there is hope, we are seeing developers who recognize the importance of price.

Katamari Damacy anyone?

I think in the future we will see a wide range of prices for games, providing that Microsoft and Sony don't try to lock prices for all developers.

Jan 3, 2006, 14:42
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 14:42
Jan 3, 2006, 14:42

My big thing is when in the crap did we start spending 60 bucks on 360 games and not blink an eye. Did I miss somthing?
That would be the continued bending over by consumers who take no interest in long term consequences of the trends they endorse with their wallets.

Jan 3, 2006, 13:32
nin
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 13:32
Jan 3, 2006, 13:32
nin

My big thing is when in the crap did we start spending 60 bucks on 360 games and not blink an eye. Did I miss somthing?

What's this "we" shit?

But yeah, good question...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

No subject
Jan 3, 2006, 13:26
No subject Jan 3, 2006, 13:26
Jan 3, 2006, 13:26

Jan 3, 2006, 13:19
... Jan 3, 2006, 13:19
Jan 3, 2006, 13:19

Let me go on. There's also the issue of utility. I can do a LOT more with my PC than you can do with your XBox 360. Ridiculously more. There's software to do damn near anything I want to do out there. And if I can't find what I want, I can make it myself. For me, that more than justifies the price difference.

That's the winner for me. I do consider consoles but always end up just upgrading my PC. I have a modest X800XL to play the latest games but not break the bank. I then, as a musician, have a high fidelity 18 input, 20 output soundcard for recording. I also have a large SATAII hard-drive for recording, streaming of samples, as well as better gaming. I have a nice 19" monitor that allows me to browse websites (better than any HDTV can), allows me to play games at higher resolution than any HD console can and allows me a lot of space when I load up a sequencer for my music and have studio quality headphones for mixing and for a great gaming experience.

If my computer was just for gaming I could not justify all that equipment but by combining my passion for gaming, interest in browsing the web and love for music I have a system that does both well, rather than going for a lesser PC and a console. I also dabble in webdesign, which made a bit of money, and play about with graphic design, plus video editing from a mini-DV camera.

People seem to think of a computer as being expensive. Well, obviously it is if you only use it for one thing, like gaming - however, use it for many things and it becomes an indispensable tool and offers unbeatable value for money. Also, with PC gaming you don't have to chuck out your old games every 3yrs... if you want to keep them as a console owner you have to either keep the entire console and the games (that becomes a pain when you want to switch between games on different consoles) or tie yourself into a brand of console with backward compability (limiting your freedom as a consumer, allowing prices to creeping ever upwards, ala Sony).

NEway, sorry for going on a bit. Consoles are great at what they do... most people already have a TV (not necessarily HD, obviously) and so if you just want to do a bit of gaming, and not worry about hundred dollar upgrades or compability with PCs, they are good value. If you only buy slightly older games, a year or so old, then that's even better. The only cost, with both PCs and consoles, is keeping up with the cutting edge (upgrading to HDTV, spending $60 on the latest game, adding surround sound, etc).

Jan 3, 2006, 10:22
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 10:22
Jan 3, 2006, 10:22

And, of course, there's the perpetual issues of convienence, ease of setup, and so forth -- the consoles win hands down here. The flip side is the cost of accessories and games -- consoles are always more expensive on both.

Let me go on. There's also the issue of utility. I can do a LOT more with my PC than you can do with your XBox 360. Ridiculously more. There's software to do damn near anything I want to do out there. And if I can't find what I want, I can make it myself. For me, that more than justifies the price difference.

Then there's the issue of control. Another big one for me. Where would gaming be today without modders? I shudder to think. Some of the best games and ideas have come from mods or at least been inspired by them. Developers and modders feed off of each other and help each other become better. Many of the maps that I've enjoyed, since Doom at least, were made by the community, not the developer. Mods have added tons of replayability to the games I've played over the years. Do I even need to mention counter-strike? That's the kind of thing you just don't find on a console. With a console, it's all about the control. They want a system that lets them control everything so they can just crank out a ton of games. Throw them all at the kiddies and see what sticks. Then make 12 more just like that one. I think consoles have their place. It's fun to sit around with some friends on the couch and play. But for real gaming, the PC is the only way to go.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Re: ...
Jan 3, 2006, 10:12
Re: ... Jan 3, 2006, 10:12
Jan 3, 2006, 10:12

Exactly my point. and I would not be sad to see the IG "community" fall apart. from my experiences the maturity of the average IG player was that of a particularly bratty 13 year old.

It all depends on where you played. I found a couple of great servers with players that were mature and we had a lot of fun. I played instagib ctf mostly, and did so for a few years. Probably the most fun I've had with any game period. Made several friends there too. So, yeah, there are a lot of whiny, bratty 13-yr-olds out there, but it's mostly a matter of finding a server with some good admins to keep things under control. Then normal people can have a good time.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jan 3, 2006, 10:04
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 10:04
Jan 3, 2006, 10:04

Quicker summary: user-built and maintained computer systems (continually improving incrementally with all the latest, greatest, evolving stuff) will always be better than a once-per-three-years renewed console. Accept it. If you don't want to, or can't pay to keep up, that's fine, play on a console. But don't expect software development to pander to the lowest, and quite common, denominator.

So, Epic are once again supporting PC first and foremost? Good. Then I shall support them. See, it's that simple.

Jan 3, 2006, 09:55
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 09:55
Jan 3, 2006, 09:55

Granted, you can build a decent gaming rig for $500, but how is that going to last you?

Honestly, it's hard to get the price down to <$500 if you're building a full PC (sans monitor and speakers, to keep things fair) -- the OS and HD price kills you. But you can put together a pretty good box for about $800, or a really good one for $900 (pretty good -- GF6800GS, really good -- GF7800GTX). That said, for $900 you get a system that's considerably better than an Xbox360 or PS3, and its graphics quality will stay exactly the same for as long as you own it -- as will a console's.

The issue you're talking about is that PC graphics don't stay moribund. ATI and Nvidia come out with newer, more powerful cards every year and leading edge game makers use them. So in 3 years that $300 graphics card may not play a lot of the newest games -- but those games won't look so great on the consoles either (they may be ported to them, but they'll lose a lot of graphics detail and depth in the process).

And, of course, there's the perpetual issues of convienence, ease of setup, and so forth -- the consoles win hands down here. The flip side is the cost of accessories and games -- consoles are always more expensive on both.

Re: Mousing with consoles
Jan 3, 2006, 09:43
Re: Mousing with consoles Jan 3, 2006, 09:43
Jan 3, 2006, 09:43

But for those of us who refuse to use anything but mice for our FPS games...how are we going to be able to use mice with our Playstation 3 since most of us don't have a proper flat surface to use near our TV? I mean, other than a coffee table. (How awkward would that be?)
IIRC, the makers of the Phantom Console are planning to help with that... think there was a news item a month ago or so about their living room keyboard/mouse thing...

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Jan 3, 2006, 07:46
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 07:46
Jan 3, 2006, 07:46

You just need a VGA -> DVI converter in addition to the 360 VGA cable.

Hell, that's a completely viable option too. You can get up to 720p using a vga monitor and it looks better than most sub-$1000 HDTV televisions. Or at least it seemed a little more detailed to me.

I keep my Xbox 1 for playing games like Pro Evolution Soccer 5 or Dead or Alive Ultimate and there's no need to get a 360 anytime soon (I'd love to play Perfect Dark Zero however...).

Heh, if you like DoAU, you'd definitely love DoA 4.

First you need the console,

That is indeed the prerequisite, yes.

then you need the more expensive games,

Or just wait until they go on sale or amazon market place or ebay, or any number of options. Unless your obsessive compulsive, there's no need to pay the full price for any game, especially 360's games.

but most of all, YOU NEED A FREAKIN HDTV! How much does a good HDTV cost?

The tv is a decent chunk of change, granted. But like it's been posted, if you get the VGA adaptor, you can take forgo having to upgrade your television and just use your existing equipment, which your monitor is probably a nicer model along with your high end PC.

A high end PC DOES NOT cost more than a good experience on a console.

I disagree. Granted, you can build a decent gaming rig for $500, but how is that going to last you? The one true advantage of consoles is they're static, the specs don't change (of course that's not a given with the 360, what with rumors of adding a HD-DVD at some point) and the really nice thing is I don't have to fuck with it. I just plug it and go. No spam, spyware, or other shit to deal with.

But please know, I'm not trying to start a console vs. PC rant here. I'm really just an overextended college student who maintains his PC for business/school, consoles for dedicated gaming.
This comment was edited on Jan 3, 07:57.

Consoles vs. PC
Jan 3, 2006, 07:43
Flo

Consoles vs. PC Jan 3, 2006, 07:43
Jan 3, 2006, 07:43
 Flo

I keep my Xbox 1 for playing games like Pro Evolution Soccer 5 or Dead or Alive Ultimate and there's no need to get a 360 anytime soon (I'd love to play Perfect Dark Zero however...). Other than that I spend most of my gaming time with Battlefield 2 or Dawn of War and those games can never ever be reproduced on a console.
Edit: BF2: Modern Combat.... as I said: never EVER....

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 07:44.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Jan 3, 2006, 06:25
... Jan 3, 2006, 06:25
Jan 3, 2006, 06:25

On the subject of UT, I LOVED the first one. Played it to absolute death. And with the camps at the time pretty evenly divided between Quake 3 and UT, it NEVER made any sense to me why Epic chose to turn UT2K3 into Quake2K3 instead, with their shitty player movement, stupid bunny hopping, far smaller levels and focus more on "Spray and Pray" rather than the more deliberate weapon styles of UT. If you've got something that's just as good, and even better in most people's mind, why the fuck are you imitating the competition's game? Idiots.

I completely agree. UT was about tactics and refined gameplay... the series has just degenerated with bodies bursting into flames, more forgettable levels, more mutators/gametypes and faster gameplay with less tactics. The original had an incredibly good CTF mode that I have still not seen beaten. As the series has continued CTF seems to have taken more of a back seat and I think that was a mistake... particularly when it was replaced with onslaught - it's great that Epic took a chance creating a new gametype, it's just a shame it blew.

As for instagib... I really like it as an option, though there is certainly no need for 3/4 of servers to be running it - it should be a minority option.

Jan 3, 2006, 02:44
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 02:44
Jan 3, 2006, 02:44

This is true. I briefly considered trying to track down a XBOX 360 but I quickly realized that if I was going to get any enjoyment out of it I was going to need something better than the 13" TV/VCR combo I have sitting in my dorm room. I then decided to investigate how much it would cost to get a 30ish-inch TV with HD capability. The answer? At least $800. That ain't happening anytime soon. I then had the idea of using my monitor but to a component to DVI signal convertor costs about $300. Again well outside of what I'm willing to spend. If I'm ever gonna get a 360 it's going to cost a whole lot more than $400.
Um, there are VGA HD AV cables that allow one to connect the Xbox 360 to a monitor without the need of component to DVI converter. You just need a VGA -> DVI converter in addition to the 360 VGA cable.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B6MLTG?v=glance

Pawned !
Jan 3, 2006, 01:45
Pawned ! Jan 3, 2006, 01:45
Jan 3, 2006, 01:45

I 0wn3d u all playing UT With my metal drivers. Full s3tc baby ! Savage 2000, may she rest in peace.

Jan 3, 2006, 01:34
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 01:34
Jan 3, 2006, 01:34

This is true. I briefly considered trying to track down a XBOX 360 but I quickly realized that if I was going to get any enjoyment out of it I was going to need something better than the 13" TV/VCR combo I have sitting in my dorm room. I then decided to investigate how much it would cost to get a 30ish-inch TV with HD capability. The answer? At least $800. That ain't happening anytime soon. I then had the idea of using my monitor but to a component to DVI signal convertor costs about $300. Again well outside of what I'm willing to spend. If I'm ever gonna get a 360 it's going to cost a whole lot more than $400.

Jan 3, 2006, 01:30
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 01:30
Jan 3, 2006, 01:30

Didn't Epic do Pariah?

That was Digital Extremes. DE has been a longtime collaborator on UT though.

Jan 3, 2006, 00:29
Re: No subject Jan 3, 2006, 00:29
Jan 3, 2006, 00:29

I really am getting sick and tired of this debate.

First you need the console, then you need the more expensive games, but most of all, YOU NEED A FREAKIN HDTV! How much does a good HDTV cost?

Assuming that most people have an HDTV capable of 1280x720 is just like assuming that most people have a great computer, minus the video card.
Well in that case, $300 scores you a 7800GT and you are good to go.

I would rather put that money into my rig, and obviously I have, because I'm one of the "idiots" with 2x512MB 7800GTX's.

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 00:45.
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older