More In-Game Advertising

THQ and Massive Expanding Boundaries Of Dynamic, New Advertising Medium announces further inroads for the company placing advertisements in video games. Obviously a boon for publishers, the release also takes the now familiar tack of touting the benefits to consumers:
AGOURA HILLS, Calif. and NEW YORK, Dec. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI - News) and Massive Incorporated today announced plans to bring THQ video game titles to Massive's video game advertising network.

"Dynamic, in-game advertising not only offers publishers new revenue opportunities, but when done properly creates added realism that can actually enhance game play," said Kelly Flock, executive vice president of worldwide publishing, THQ.
View : : :
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Dec 20, 2005, 10:10
Re: No subject Dec 20, 2005, 10:10
Dec 20, 2005, 10:10

GAMESPY ARCADE which I refuse to use.. although the masses have already accepted it. From what I can recall it forces you to watch an advertisement for x seconds before you can do anything. That is what I can't stand and luckily there are alternatives like using ASE or the in-game browser. Imagine steam doing this to you. You NEED it to download and launch steam games. There isn't an alternative and hacking out the ads there would be an unending mess because updates are NOT optional (you'd likely need to re-hack it every update). Gamers wouldn't accept this? Maybe, maybe not. I don't have alot of faith in the masses.

Exactly. And that's because the masses are morons and don't see the big picture. They sit there kissing The Man's ass, stating how there's no harm in steam or in-game adverts and such. But what they for some reason CANNOT seem to grasp, is that it's just the first step. This type of situation never improves; it always gets worse.

Remember when one station (which was it?) decided they would take a chance and advertise their station ID in the lower right corner of your TV? Soon they all started doing that. Then, one brave network tried advertising other shows in the lower left corner of your screen, DURING your show. Then, all. Then, they added SOUND EFFECTS! My goodness "what are they thinking?!" Wrong, the masses accepted it. We all always accept it, because we're collectively, short-sighted sheep. You could be the common man's best ally, and instead you're the biggest liability. Weakest link, goodbye.

Remember when cable TV's main draw was that it was free of commercials? Remember when stores didn't have restock fees? Remember when you didn't have to bribe your garbage man to take the couch? Stop acting helpless. And stop accepting "small losses of interest" because they always inevitably become HUGE losses of interest for all.

And to all those saying "as long as the advertising is in character for the game, I don't care," you're just as bad as the completely blind fools who say it's a good thing.

Keep watching. Soon that digital play diagram overlay on your favorite football field will be a Coke commercial.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 10:11.

No subject
Dec 20, 2005, 07:19
No subject Dec 20, 2005, 07:19
Dec 20, 2005, 07:19

Being subjected to advertising will never ever be a positive experience for people. I'm sure they've arranged all the "independent research" they need to pretend otherwise, but it will suck for the end-users no matter what they claim.

As for "When done properly"?! What a joke. We all know the chances of that are nil.

And "added realism" is only even relevant if the game is striving for realism. Realistic games are a minority. For the majority of games, fictional advertisements created by the game developers are more "realistic" than anything from the real world.

Maybe I can't swear I'll never ever buy a game with advertising, but I can absolutely guarantee that if I'm on the fence about a game, or trying to decide between two, and I read that this sort of bullshit is included, my decision will be made for me.

No subject
Dec 20, 2005, 07:04
Vx
No subject Dec 20, 2005, 07:04
Dec 20, 2005, 07:04
Vx

I go like once a month, and i can sit through the commercials, its not a good time, but i can read something while i wait, or maybe talk to the person im in the theater with.

As for commercials in games, as long as its tasteful product placement im all fore it. I could use a futuristic Glock in the next doom game!

Dec 19, 2005, 23:57
Re: No subject Dec 19, 2005, 23:57

Full-blown commercials before a movie is a serious affront to cinema for me and it offends me dearly, and I imagine it is the same for all of you sharing your sentiments here.

I've tried this strategy and I wish it worked for me. I run into two problems with it. First, the cinema never seems to understand what I'm asking and I just get a confused response that just repeats the posted, fake start time. Secondly, I live in Los Angeles and while our theatres are excellent, they are crowded enough so that you have to show up early or you get a really crappy seat. Usually you have to show up by the posted, fake start time to have a chance of a decent seat. This can sort of be resolved by waiting until interest in the movie dies down and it isn't crowded, but sometimes the movie will no longer be in your favorite theatre by then (and us LA people are picky with our theatres).
This is true. But I go to weird showing times and/or after the movie has been out for a while.

Re: No subject Dec 19, 2005, 23:57

Games: I remove intros with all the logos by renaming directories, renaming files, or deleting files. I Look for commandline options to skip all the logos. One of the first things I do with a game. I'll be damned if I pay for a game which has shameless advertising in it.

But you are paying for a game which has shameess advertising in it. Regardless of what you do after you buy it, you money is still going to them and telling them that you are still willing to tolerate these things and continue to pay for it. I have no room to talk myself, but it irks me to see how they've started down this path. I don't see any end to it. At what point is there "enough" advertising? What about on TV? Movies? Sports arenas? Highways? Is it ever enough?

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 23:58.

Dec 19, 2005, 23:56
Re: No subject Dec 19, 2005, 23:56
Dec 19, 2005, 23:56

If everything you said was true then how would you know what movie to see, what music to buy, what food to eat?

You act as if you have the power to ignore it all, which frankly is impossible my friend. That is the real problem that we are all talking about.

Even if you tried your hardest, you don't even have the right today to chose to ignore advertising. Its in your blood, your soul, in everything you do.

Join us.....
Resiststance is not futile!

I can't ignore everything that's why I employ the techniques I do. I lessen it overall. Thats the best I can do.

No subject
Dec 19, 2005, 23:44
No subject Dec 19, 2005, 23:44
Dec 19, 2005, 23:44

Movies: I don't go to movies anymore. Sometimes when there is an actual movie I want to see I will go. I call the theater and ask "when time does the movie start?" They say "7:30" and I say "No, I'm talking about the actual start of the movie, the time after the commercials and previews" and they say "7:45". I show up at 7:45.

Full-blown commercials before a movie is a serious affront to cinema for me and it offends me dearly, and I imagine it is the same for all of you sharing your sentiments here.

I've tried this strategy and I wish it worked for me. I run into two problems with it. First, the cinema never seems to understand what I'm asking and I just get a confused response that just repeats the posted, fake start time. Secondly, I live in Los Angeles and while our theatres are excellent, they are crowded enough so that you have to show up early or you get a really crappy seat. Usually you have to show up by the posted, fake start time to have a chance of a decent seat. This can sort of be resolved by waiting until interest in the movie dies down and it isn't crowded, but sometimes the movie will no longer be in your favorite theatre by then (and us LA people are picky with our theatres).

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 23:44.

IF only what you said was true.
Dec 19, 2005, 23:23
IF only what you said was true. Dec 19, 2005, 23:23
Dec 19, 2005, 23:23

If everything you said was true then how would you know what movie to see, what music to buy, what food to eat?

You act as if you have the power to ignore it all, which frankly is impossible my friend. That is the real problem that we are all talking about.

Even if you tried your hardest, you don't even have the right today to chose to ignore advertising. Its in your blood, your soul, in everything you do.

Join us.....

Dec 19, 2005, 21:04
Re: No subject Dec 19, 2005, 21:04
Dec 19, 2005, 21:04

Not that anyone cares but...

Movies: I don't go to movies anymore. Sometimes when there is an actual movie I want to see I will go. I call the theater and ask "when time does the movie start?" They say "7:30" and I say "No, I'm talking about the actual start of the movie, the time after the commercials and previews" and they say "7:45". I show up at 7:45.

TV: I hardly watch TV anymore. I download all the tv shows I watch and of course they come without commercials.

Magazines: I don't read any magazines any more. I got tired of the fucking inserts that fall out of them and how every other page is a fucking ad. The actual content of the magazines can be gotten from dozens of websites in a more convenient and timely manner anyway.

Games: I remove intros with all the logos by renaming directories, renaming files, or deleting files. I Look for commandline options to skip all the logos. One of the first things I do with a game. I'll be damned if I pay for a game which has shameless advertising in it.

Billboards: When I'm driving they don't bother me because I'm really focusing on what's ahead of me not so much the billboards all around me.

In Stores Ads: I ignore all the displays. I go shopping with a specific purpose in mind so those ads don't make me go out of my way to check them out and read them. I want to go in, get what I came for and get out as quickly as possible.

Radio: I don't care enough about commercial radio. The play the same songs. Every day there are like 3 cd's that come out. Yet they keep playing the same songs for years. Ads don't annoy me on radio because the content of the radio does not interest me because of the above.

The web: I use Firefox. I use adblock plus extension with adblock filterset.g updater to keep the adblock blacklists and white lists current. I don't see any ads on most webpages. I find ads on the web to be extremely highly annoying. When I was a dumb IE user, I never clicked on any ads, I clicked to close them constantly.

And that's the way I feel about it.

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 21:32.

Dec 19, 2005, 19:32
Re: No subject Dec 19, 2005, 19:32
Dec 19, 2005, 19:32

I can't believe how many people here are saying they don't mind, as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow of the game.

Aren't you people sick of being Consumers, yet? Aren't you sick of how pervasive advertising is already? Doesn't it even make you slightly mad to take a ride down the highway and see billboards everywhere? To watch 10 minutes of commercials before the previews at movies? To pick up a magazine and have 5 pages of content and 145 pages of ads?
THAT'S RIGHT!

Kukuman
Dec 19, 2005, 19:12
Kukuman Dec 19, 2005, 19:12
Dec 19, 2005, 19:12

Gotta get yourself a sense of humor if you thought my girl analogy was serious, sheesh.

I guess with your pig iron comment you just recently got into Johnny Cash?

Dec 19, 2005, 18:38
Re: No subject Dec 19, 2005, 18:38
Dec 19, 2005, 18:38

I could care less what anybody does with billboards.
I get a nap with some headphones waiting for the ads and previous at the movies, in the rare case I go these days.
I don't buy magazines, or watch much TV. If there's nothing on the movie channels I'll just be a computer dork pulling my pud on the internet with adblock filtering the bullshit. I can deal with game props having real company labels on it. If they get too intrusive, I won't buy the shit, it's quite simple. So long as they keep it within the realm of believability in the game world I'm happy for them to have an alternative means of income. Soon as they start abusing it I stop paying. I can do without their shit. If they piss enough people off, they can't do without our shit(money).

No subject
Dec 19, 2005, 18:20
mag
No subject Dec 19, 2005, 18:20
Dec 19, 2005, 18:20
mag

I can't believe how many people here are saying they don't mind, as long as it doesn't interrupt the flow of the game.

Aren't you people sick of being Consumers, yet? Aren't you sick of how pervasive advertising is already? Doesn't it even make you slightly mad to take a ride down the highway and see billboards everywhere? To watch 10 minutes of commercials before the previews at movies? To pick up a magazine and have 5 pages of content and 145 pages of ads?

Leela: Didn't you have ads in the 20th century?

Fry: Well sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio. And in magazines. And movies. And at ball games and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts and written on the sky. But not in dreams. No siree!

Re: Paranoid
Dec 19, 2005, 18:05
Re: Paranoid Dec 19, 2005, 18:05
Dec 19, 2005, 18:05

I got pig iron. I got pig iron. I got all pig iron.

Dec 19, 2005, 17:59
Re: Paranoid Dec 19, 2005, 17:59
Dec 19, 2005, 17:59

But.. Spock! We... need to have our.. technological synopses... spoken out loud!

Dec 19, 2005, 17:43
Re: Paranoid Dec 19, 2005, 17:43
Dec 19, 2005, 17:43

in my experience, it was the advertiser really pushing for gameplay changes to accomodate the ads, but the developer and publisher both got all moist thinking about how much cash they would make. I worked for the developer. Dont believe any bullshit from a developer that says he 'regrettably HAS to take ad money'. Just make the game cheaper. I don't NEED any FMV, I don't NEED voiceovers for every bit of text, and I sure as hell don't need hollywood actors to read the flipping tooltips to me.

www.positech.co.uk

Dec 19, 2005, 17:28
Re: No subject Dec 19, 2005, 17:28
Dec 19, 2005, 17:28

Advertising is a necessary EVIL in real-life that we have to cope with.

Actually, it's not necessary at all. Everything that currently uses advertising to exist could easily move to a subscriber model. TV/radio shows, magazines, newspapers.. In some cases this would mean higher rates on services that are already subscription-based.

I think most people don't mind the ads. Personally I judiciously employ the mute button and fast-forward through them on any recordings (I can still make those, right?). In-theatre ads are a big reason why I no longer go out to the movies.. they make me feel like I just paid to be treated as a massive tool. I could never be a marketing guy.. Nobody NEEDS all this shit they sell, and the ads are always shameless.

Dec 19, 2005, 17:13
Re: Paranoid Dec 19, 2005, 17:13
Dec 19, 2005, 17:13

I used to work for a big name developer. The company took BIG moeny from a phone company and a car company to ahve their products in the game. This happened half way through dvelopment, and even though those parts of the game with the ads were determined to be superflous and actually detrimental to the game, they HAD to be left in, because they took the ad money. Not only that, but the dorks from the phone and car company were ALWAYS on the phone demanding that there be special 'challeneges' in the game that involved the player buying new phones or cars.
Make no mistake, these guys arent just bidding to change a few exture, they are buying additional seats at the game design table. Your next 'triple A' bullshit isnt designed by mitamoto/ wright / meier, its designed by the marketing dept of a soda company.
And those splash screens that say "runs best on ATI". pure bullshit. Those logo screens are sold to the highest bidder, and the fact that you can't skip them is written into the contract.
My advice?
Say a big F88k you to the assholes that shoehorn this crap into our games, and just don't buy them.
Did you work for a developer or publisher? Everyone seems to love to make the distinction between developers and publishers saying that developers are the innocent victims and that evil publishers cram it down their throat. But in your example you say the developer did it.

P.S. Everyone knows that the nvidia or ati logo is pure bullshit. The reason being it's in the developers and publishers best interest to have the game run as many different graphics cards as possible to have the largest market possible. And they are not going to screw ati users or nvidia users because either company paid them to have their logo in their game.

P.S. The first thing I do when I get a game and there are a lot of stupid intros at the beginning, is rename the files, or delete them that are the cause of those intros. That's the first thing I do.

Fuck THQ.
This comment was edited on Dec 19, 17:18.

Ads
Dec 19, 2005, 17:07
Ads Dec 19, 2005, 17:07
Dec 19, 2005, 17:07

I'm suprised we haven't yet to seen a 10 second FBI Warning at the front of every game thats unpassable.
"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae..."
------------------------------------------------

Re: Just don't buy it?
Dec 19, 2005, 17:02
Re: Just don't buy it? Dec 19, 2005, 17:02
Dec 19, 2005, 17:02

Oh I don't know, it could be a valid comparison if neither of them are necessary for survival, people are willing to pay various amounts of $ for it, and once you get married you'll be allowed very little of either...

This comment was edited on Dec 19, 17:03.
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older