StarForce Challenge

Destroy your PC and receive $1000 from StarForce (thanks Andrew) is an offer from the copy-protection maker in an effort to combat what they feel may be unfounded rumors about their software:
There have been a lot of rumors in the Internet concerning DVD/CD writers malfunction after installation and star-up of StarForce protected applications. Some have even mentioned that should such “malfunctioning” drive be placed in any other PC without StarForce protection installed it will fail to work as well.
After the installation and start-up of StarForce protected product the problem with (CD/DVD read-write malfunction) must exist and be reproduced in any other configuration.
If you can be the first to reproduce this situation in our office, we will be happy to award you with $1000.00 US, cover your trip to Moscow and pay 2 days’ lodging.
View : : :
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

No subject
Dec 14, 2005, 23:19
nin
No subject Dec 14, 2005, 23:19
Dec 14, 2005, 23:19
nin

If you can be the first to reproduce this situation in our office, we will be happy to award you with $1000.00 US, cover your trip to Moscow and pay 2 days’ lodging.

And god knows what they'll do to you when you get there.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

http://www.goldfrapp.co.uk/

Re: No subject
Dec 14, 2005, 23:26
Re: No subject Dec 14, 2005, 23:26
Dec 14, 2005, 23:26

And if you can't reproduce the situation then you'll receive a massive expenditure on your part .... DUMB.

~~Crim~~

Re: No subject
Dec 14, 2005, 23:35
Re: No subject Dec 14, 2005, 23:35
Dec 14, 2005, 23:35

Right fly off to russia with no fucking language skills and god only know what can happen to you. Plus starforce is the enemy why would you volunatrily go to enemy territory and help the enemy? It's a suicide mission and the mission of a traitor.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 23:35.

No subject
Dec 14, 2005, 23:43
No subject Dec 14, 2005, 23:43
Dec 14, 2005, 23:43

There have been a lot of rumors in the Internet concerning DVD/CD writers malfunction after installation and star-up of StarForce protected applications

This is a fact, not a rumor. Even if Starforce doesn't screw up your comp what it will do is make DVD access extremely slow. What sucks is it doesn't deter the pirates at all just punish and screw the comps of legit owners.

Starforce is EVIL!! Don't buy games with Starforce.

No subject
Dec 15, 2005, 00:07
No subject Dec 15, 2005, 00:07
Dec 15, 2005, 00:07

I am willing to do this, but I believe Starforce must have some satellite offices in other countries, I will email them and ask if I it can be proven in those, because trip to Russia is not my idea of fun.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

unfortunately it's here to stay
Dec 15, 2005, 00:10
unfortunately it's here to stay Dec 15, 2005, 00:10
Dec 15, 2005, 00:10

First off I BUY every game I play but as soon as I install the game I always try to find a NoCD patch. I've noticed that NoCD patches are becoming more and more scarce lately. It's becoming so tedious to start a game without the CD that I have just been giving in and putting the disc in the drive all the time. StarForce is being used now more than ever and it is the reason why NoCD's are so scarce. If a StarForce game actually gets 'hacked' it usually takes a long time from the game's release that this happens. So basically, saying "DON'T BUY GAMES WITH STARFORCE" is like saying "Don't buy most of the new games released."

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 00:12.
"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

Re: unfortunately it's here to stay
Dec 15, 2005, 00:47
Re: unfortunately it's here to stay Dec 15, 2005, 00:47
Dec 15, 2005, 00:47

My only complaint with SF is that sometimes it takes a very long time to verify that the CD is in the drive.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems with it.

As i have been saying
Dec 15, 2005, 01:33
As i have been saying Dec 15, 2005, 01:33
Dec 15, 2005, 01:33

The PC Pirating scene is OVER folks. I have been in it for decades and have never seen it stopped so quickly, so drastically and so absolutely.

Sure a few early starforce games got cracked, even a few recent ones like Space Rangers 2, but after that? Mayhem, absolute mayhem with 50/50 of the people being able to play a cracked game.

I don't like to carry CDs/DVDs with my laptop, that simple, and this is an unfortunate but necessary protection so I must tip the hat to Starforce. They did what they set out to do and won.

I called this almost a year ago and now look at the frustration people are having with games. I am surprised it too this long.

It is a bit late with PC games on the decline, but the best games ARE PC Games and its sad to see them diminish. I hope this does save the PC game industry, this StarForce program. If that is what gets accomplished then they can have my money!

Re: As i have been saying
Dec 15, 2005, 01:53
Re: As i have been saying Dec 15, 2005, 01:53
Dec 15, 2005, 01:53

Wow you must not be in the same scene thats been releasing 99% (note: statistics pulled out of my ass just like yours) of new games... with "this StarForce program". They've made playing pirated software more annoying, sure, they also made playing legit software more annoying.

I guess the people writing CP software can finally get jobs that people wont hate them for, like telemarketing or ringtone creators.

No copy protection is going to "save" PC gaming, making GOOD GAMES would save PC gaming, wheres the last release that was good and low on bugs that failed because of piracy? where??? with the billions of dollars britney spears lost in sales cause a 12 year old girl downloaded her single, and maybe even the WMDs?

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 01:56.

Dec 15, 2005, 01:54
Re: As i have been saying Dec 15, 2005, 01:54
Dec 15, 2005, 01:54

Venomhed - you were in the thread a couple of days ago when Nakano pointed this competition out right? Bit of a Starforce evangelist aren't you? Though I agree actually. I'm all for games getting made so if this is what it takes then so be it. I wait about a minute for Space Rangers to verify the DVD then I play the game for about 2 days solid - it's just not that big a deal when you put it in perspective.

If Starforce saves themselves a few hundred man hours finding what the problem is then the prize in this competition is cheap. If nobody enters they can say the dead DVD claims are all pirate FUD. Win win for them.

EDIT: speeling.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 01:57.

Dec 15, 2005, 02:01
Re: As i have been saying Dec 15, 2005, 02:01
Dec 15, 2005, 02:01

Very Very foolish statements about the PC pirating scene, btw. Most of the people having problems are just ignorant, I know a friend that's never been stopped by any version...

lol no sattelites
Dec 15, 2005, 02:13
Dev
lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 02:13
Dec 15, 2005, 02:13
Dev

No, starforce isn't hardly going to have "satellite" offices. Its a small operation, I doubt there's more than 10 employees all told. Its not all that labor intensive, they just have to program the copy protection. The game publishers just take it, and normally dupe the cd/dvd as they always would, so there's no manufacturing nessasary on starforce's end.
Thats one reason its such a small reward, its a small operation. Now if it was $10,000 or $100,000 I might be tempted to go installing SF games all over and find a combo that died.

This comment was edited on Dec 15, 02:38.

Re: lol no sattelites
Dec 15, 2005, 03:12
Re: lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 03:12
Dec 15, 2005, 03:12

If you look at the interview from earlier in the week I think it suggested the licensing fees were in the thousands of dollars range rather than tens or 100s of thousands so like you say - not a big outfit. If every game getting released on PC used them it'd be decent money for a small outfit though.

And to the cocky pirates: I don't so much see that there's anything to be proud about how easily anyone can pirate games though. Currently to run SF protected games you need to mount an image using Daemon, generally, and run various other helper programs before and after playing. Clearly you've no interest in paying for games if you're prepared to go to these lengths and whingeing about "make better games, darnit!" is an excuse. An excuse is not a good reason - it's an EXCUSE for bad behaviour.

From the point of view of the game companies if you aren't going to pay for games ever you don't really matter so to that extent Starforce works perfectly and prevents casual copying and casual downloading. When all you have to do is download an iso, burn it to CD and run the included hack or swap the exe file then anyone can pirate a game. When you start having to know what you're doing the piracy rate will fall off and people, who will take something for nothing if it's going, WILL be more inclined to pay money. If you want to see good games getting made then let the market decide by giving money to good game developers because right now the system favours big companies like EA who can factor piracy into their spreadsheets. Meanwhile good games from small companines sell a few hundred copies and the studios get bought up or go out of business.

The scene? It's not some cool underground conspiracy it's a bunch of freeloading selfish immature babies who've no regard for the time and effort of other people who're just trying to make a living.

And consider this - if piracy was as easy and straightforward as you believe it should be and everyone was stealing their games, and I mean EVERYONE, then what's going to happen to games production?

Pay for your games or have the decency and shame to just keep your mouth shut.

Dec 15, 2005, 03:28
Re: lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 03:28
Dec 15, 2005, 03:28

If i were to receive a (hefty) portion of every deal they make from now until the demise of starforce, then I would jump at this. $1000 is nothing.. can't even buy good quality crack with that. Not that I would know. I heard it from ... OMG, there's a three-headed monkey behind you! /me run

Although, I heard there are good brothels in the Motherland, this offer isn't very tempting. I wonder what they will do to you if you fail to reproduce the error. I know russians and those russians are kwaazzzie!

(actually the only real crazy russian i knew was the crazy russian english teacher i once had in highschool. The married russian teacher that made babies with another married teacher and then they had the baby and then they divorced but then they married causing all the good teachers to transfer to other schools. But I don't want to get into a detailed discussion on this event which, may I add, was after my brilliant mind had graduated)

Re: unfortunately it's here to stay
Dec 15, 2005, 03:29
Re: unfortunately it's here to stay Dec 15, 2005, 03:29
Dec 15, 2005, 03:29

So basically, saying "DON'T BUY GAMES WITH STARFORCE" is like saying "Don't buy most of the new games released."

...and why is that bad? Most new games are total crap.

Dec 15, 2005, 04:55
Re: lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 04:55
Dec 15, 2005, 04:55

Usually SF just stops you at the IDE CD drives, I won't go further.

This all goes along with music/movies, etc. Make something worth the price tag you put, and more people will buy it. Make something that isn't worth a 1/5 of pricetag...don't blame it on piracy.

Most of these "big evil companies" make the best selling games because: a) they can get the best developers on reputation/salary and b)more money for marketing. Is that really a piracy problem?

BTW, name a "must-have" starforce game, or even 2-3 highly profitable ones...

Dec 15, 2005, 05:31
Dev
Re: lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 05:31
Dec 15, 2005, 05:31
Dev

The last splinter cell was starforce. Thats a decent game. X3 reunion is starforce, once they patch that up that will be a great game. Space Rangers 2 was starforce, I played that, very fun game. Oh and how could I forget, the latest Prince of Persia game is starforce. Now THAT game was fun. Not quite as good as sands of time, but way better than that warrior within crap.
Those are just a few off the top of my head, lets see, Toca 2 was starforce, though I'm not into racing games so I dont know if that was any good. Gangland was starforce, some ppl liked that. Suffering expansion is starforce, I didn't try that but I thought the original was interesting.

A quick google turns up this list:
http://www.similarities.org/starforce.html
So if you want more than what I thought up you can check that out. I belive some were only starforce in europe versions.

You will see more and more games released with starforce as the publishers see that its hard to crack. Most of them know you cant stop pirates, but if they just have a few days or a week or two after release, they are happy usually. Then all the people who are the "must have game" type will have bought it.
What I really like are games like UT2k4 where after a while they release patches that remove the cd/dvd check. I love not having to put my purchased retail dvd into the drive to play it. If more companies would do this, I think less people would complain about copy protection. If you knew it would be disabled in 6 months or a year after the majority of the selling, then I think people would be willing to put up with more. (of course cd keys should remain for multiplayer games, thats a very effective way to make sure most people have a legit copy).
This comment was edited on Dec 15, 05:35.

No subject
Dec 15, 2005, 05:32
No subject Dec 15, 2005, 05:32

I buy my games but I do use nocds, I use over 10 programs aday it is absurd to constantly be forced to change cds just to start a program again.

Yeah I dont see this as an accurate debate there are 2 groups, pirates (whom sell copied software) and sharing (mostly by younger (everywhere) or poorer (in second (possibly thrid world) gamers.

There is no way in hell software compaines could have a single clue about sharers, maybe prirates not much of a clue thou.
They completly falseafied loss numbers for tax writeoffs, hell mathmaticans have gotten involved in this and showed it was the increase in game prices form $30 US to the rise of up to $50 US to $60 US now that caused the decline in sales.

The only way they would know is to someway to know who, what and how many which they dont, unless they are the ones stealing their own software.

This whole arguement falls apart when you look at successful games, how is games like Half-Life are successfull they are not immune to these 2 variables.

I agree most games are in bad shape, maybe potienally good but rushed by publishers whom dont want to wait the 3 to 4 years to make an execllent game.

MS did nothing but exacerbate this by bribling and strong arming all the PC developers into making snotbox only games, forcing 2 years development times treating developers like slaves.

Just like the record industry killing their own industry, it is the developers and the gamers that suffer, friggn jerkoffs!

Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Re: lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 05:32

1. PoP:WW wasn't crap.
2. Suffering: Ties That Bind is a sequel, not an expansion.
3. Gangland was terrible.

Dec 15, 2005, 05:39
Dev
Re: lol no sattelites Dec 15, 2005, 05:39
Dec 15, 2005, 05:39
Dev

I didn't try the suffering sequel/expansion, I just knew it was another one. Semantics
As I said, "some" liked gangland.
POP WW was a decent game in and of itself, but compared to the other two (SoT and T2T) it was the worst of the bunch. It had less immersiveness, a storyline that wasn't as good, etc. When I played SoT it really felt like I was playing like the "where do you want to continue the story from next time." They brought that back in the last game, which was a wise decision.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer