Out of the Blue

Amid our holiday shopping yesterday I managed to find a present for myself, a replacement for the space heater in my office. The one I had been using was one of those quartz dealies that glows bright red and puts out enough heat that the wood floor in front of the heater began to warp slightly. Besides not wanting to further damage the floor (much less have it catch fire), the intensity of the old heater was also too much for MrsBlue, as when she hangs out up here with me her seat is closer to it than mine. The new heater has it all over the old one... there's a thermostat to offer more fine tuning, an oscillation feature to keep it from overheating the same spot, a pedestal to further protect the floor, and a remote to adjust it from the comfort of my chair. Naturally, the new heater was about half the cost of the old one...after a rebate it was all of $40. It's certainly warming the cockles of my heart.

Warm Links! Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Stories: Liverpool, NYC remember Lennon.
Science: Trees May Be Bad for You (registration required).
Cyborg Suits Strut the Catwalk. "I am a mech, you know what I mean..."
Wrap Up a Holiday Hack.
Auction: A Really Old Can of Franco-American Beef Gravy. Thanks crazyfool.
Follow-up: Zip proves reluctant crasher. Thanks Brian.
Teh Funnies: ActionTrip Comic Strip.
View : : :
73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Grammar
Dec 9, 2005, 15:15
Re: Grammar Dec 9, 2005, 15:15
Dec 9, 2005, 15:15

I am Sparticus!

Dec 9, 2005, 14:28
Re: Grammar Dec 9, 2005, 14:28
Dec 9, 2005, 14:28

Lennon was the man...

I am the Walrus.

I am the Walrus.

I am the Walrus.

I am the Walrus.

(Damnit - None of you made the connection? Yesterday In and Out Burger? Today? Lenon, "I am the Walrus"?)

Always listening to: http://www.xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=53
FUNGS 53

Looking to add BF2 members to our clan. Drop a line if interested.

Re: No subject
Dec 9, 2005, 10:27
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2005, 10:27
Dec 9, 2005, 10:27

Yes..I'm sure a huge percentage of the national sales of Hawaiian design shirts are attributed to covert gun carriers. Sarcasm aside, a baggy shirt is all you need.

Actually Hawaiian shirts are always a red flag for me. Hawaiian shirts are usually first time travelers, they carry too much luggage and have too many books in their arms. When you see a Hawaiian shirt with just enough or too little luggage, that knows where he is going, that guy is there for another reason, Government or no.

Dec 9, 2005, 08:44
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2005, 08:44
Dec 9, 2005, 08:44

Dan, just connected, didn't see ya. I am preparing for a final on Sat. AM (last of 3 - had two last week) So I won't be around there until Sunday. Also haven't purchased SF yet, so I have been playing CoD2 since we don't have a regular flavor BF2 server running, it is SF.

No biggie, my timing was never all that great in the first place. The only issue being that I don't have BF2:SF, and hadn't planned on getting it. Now, it seems, I'll have to seek it out.

....en það besta sem guð hefur skapa er nýr dagur - Sigur Rós, viðrar vel til loftárása
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://dankupkamusic.blogspot.com
Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com - also on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Amazon, etc.

Dec 9, 2005, 02:59
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2005, 02:59
Dec 9, 2005, 02:59

I am preparing for a final on Sat. AM (last of 3 - had two last week)
Good luck buddy, I myself have exams next week. Admittedly they are optional

Dec 8, 2005, 23:10
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2005, 23:10
Dec 8, 2005, 23:10

Yes..I'm sure a huge percentage of the national sales of Hawaiian design shirts are attributed to covert gun carriers. Sarcasm aside, a baggy shirt is all you need.

Or "Dress like Dr Gonzo" day.

I see more hawaiian shirts than "baggy" shirts at gun shows (well, most of the old guys just wear cammo or green). Other cool prints are also very obvious. I myself can fit my CZ P-01 9mm with all of my wardrobe. Very nice custom holster.

/edit: Dan, just connected, didn't see ya. I am preparing for a final on Sat. AM (last of 3 - had two last week) So I won't be around there until Sunday. Also haven't purchased SF yet, so I have been playing CoD2 since we don't have a regular flavor BF2 server running, it is SF.

FUNGS 53

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 23:38.

Dec 8, 2005, 21:51
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2005, 21:51
Dec 8, 2005, 21:51

1. Packing (those shirts don't print a gun - thus a lot of people that carry legally - and illegally - wear them)

Dec 8, 2005, 21:44
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2005, 21:44
Dec 8, 2005, 21:44

Completely off the subject... (okay, there's no subject above, but anywho...)

On Ventrilo, now.

EDIT: Directed toward xXBatmanXx

Dan =0)

....en það besta sem guð hefur skapa er nýr dagur - Sigur Rós, viðrar vel til loftárása
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://dankupkamusic.blogspot.com
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 21:44.
Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com - also on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Amazon, etc.

Dec 8, 2005, 21:08
Re: No subject Dec 8, 2005, 21:08
Dec 8, 2005, 21:08

true true, when an officer points a gun at you and tells you to stop, a reasonable person (or an unreasonable person on the right meds ~) would stop. But, if a man in a hawaian shirt told you to stop, and it wasn't clear he was an officer of the law, would you stop and throw your arms up in the air?

You are a troll and an idiot.

They are required to identify themselves.
Any "reasonable person" as you put it, would know someone chasing you - or asking you while on the plane - would be a Marshal. I belive there was actually an article that said they identified themselves while on the plane trying to difuse the situation.

Go read the articles - 2nd notice. I told you to inform yourself yesterday also. Morons like you are the ones sucking up the spoon fed news media like a sponge.

Hurry hurry loonybird, go get your tinfoil hat! Before they notice you don't have it on!

And a little tid but of info. I there was a guy that was wearing a Hawaiian shirt, my first guess is either:
1. Packing (those shirts don't print a gun - thus a lot of people that carry legally - and illegally - wear them)
2. Marshal
3. Law enforcement undercover

FUNGS 53

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 21:11.

Dec 8, 2005, 20:59
Enahs

Re: No subject Dec 8, 2005, 20:59
Dec 8, 2005, 20:59
 Enahs

But, if a man in a hawaian shirt told you to stop, and it wasn't clear he was an officer of the law, would you stop and throw your arms up in the air?

If he had a gun? Yes, in a public place. Maybe not at home alone. Officer of the law or criminal, a gun can kill you...do not piss of the guy with the gun.

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

No subject
Dec 8, 2005, 20:42
No subject Dec 8, 2005, 20:42
Dec 8, 2005, 20:42

true true, when an officer points a gun at you and tells you to stop, a reasonable person (or an unreasonable person on the right meds :)~) would stop. But, if a man in a hawaian shirt told you to stop, and it wasn't clear he was an officer of the law, would you stop and throw your arms up in the air?

Dec 8, 2005, 20:23
Re: Grammar Dec 8, 2005, 20:23
Dec 8, 2005, 20:23

@GH: BTW, your Swedish seemed fine to me. Only some minor errors.
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

Dec 8, 2005, 20:10
Re: Grammar Dec 8, 2005, 20:10
Dec 8, 2005, 20:10

ROFL

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people"

Dec 8, 2005, 20:08
Re: Grammar Dec 8, 2005, 20:08
Dec 8, 2005, 20:08

KSMB?

Sorry, no. I go for the more melodic stuff,
"Kuken står mellan bena" or the more official "Kurt-Sunes med Berits". I'm no big punk-fan but this song is a classic (apologies to non-Swedish understanding bluers):

En slemmig torsk

Den där goa KSMB-låten.
(30-50 sekunders intro)
Nu ska jag sjunga om kärleksblask
gröna ängar och King Kongs task
Jag är dum, jag är seg
du simmar i en jättedeg!
En slemmig torsk, en slemmig torsk i en brödrost!
En slemmig torsk i en brödrost!

Jag stoppar upp fingret bakom en tapet!
Vad är det jag känner? Jo, en klibbig smet!
Jag sjunger som jag vill!
En slemmig torsk, en slemmig torsk i en brödrost!
En slemmig torsk i en bröööödrost!
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

Re: comp prob
Dec 8, 2005, 20:07
Re: comp prob Dec 8, 2005, 20:07
Dec 8, 2005, 20:07

It's been a long time since I've been troubleshooting PCI cards... but anyway

Have you tried to turn PCI bus mastering on or off? Have you tried taking all other cards out and putting the vid card in slot number one? EDIT: You apparently only two PCI slots, so probably yes then...

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people"
This comment was edited on Dec 8, 20:08.

Dec 8, 2005, 19:59
Re: comp prob Dec 8, 2005, 19:59
Dec 8, 2005, 19:59

I've found that by switching the video card between the two PCI slots, and restarting the computer from anywhere between 3 - 100 times, if I hear the beeps, can usually get her working.
Have you been able to get it to work in both slots, or only one of them?

Dec 8, 2005, 19:56
Re: comp prob Dec 8, 2005, 19:56
Dec 8, 2005, 19:56

Do you have another PC that you can test the video card in? A friend's or something? If it occasionally works it may not be the video card; it may be the MB.

Do you have any other expansion cards in? If so, remove them.

If you don't have another computer you can test the video in then it's going to be extremely difficult to tell if the problem is the MB or the card.

As for the restarts -- it's not good; especially if the HD has to spin down and back up (which it probably is). You're much more likely to break something than to get it working in that manner.

The bad news is that something is almost certainly toast on your PC -- my guess would be (in this order): video, MB, power supply, some-other-card, CPU, memory. Following the above steps will help a lot in diagnosis.

Dec 8, 2005, 19:55
Re: Grammar Dec 8, 2005, 19:55
Dec 8, 2005, 19:55

KSMB?

Sorry, no. I go for the more melodic stuff, like Coca Carola, Dia Psalma, 23 Till ('Balladen om Olsson' is a fucking classic *singing along* 'men Olsson va inte rädd, honnom kunde dom inte knäcka..'), and of course Ebba Grön (This is a good time for mere mortals to bow down and tremble... :))

EDIT: Sorry if my written Swedish isn't quite up to scratch; I don't get a ton of practice...

EDIT some more: Actually, I think the guys in Ebba Grön wouldn't want you to tremble; they'd want you to walk up to The Man and knock a couple of his teeth out

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 19:59.

Dec 8, 2005, 19:54
Enahs

Re: comp prob Dec 8, 2005, 19:54
Dec 8, 2005, 19:54
 Enahs

PCI video card?! Wow man...that is old! Or is this PCI express?
A new AGP card you can get for less than $30 if the MB has an AGP port though.

Sounds like it is dying, if you are sure the connections are clean and not word. Gold connections are used because they do not corrode as easily as others, but it is a very weak metal. It is very easy for the connections to get warped and stretched, ect and not seat well.

If you have a sound card or something else that can hook-up to the PCI ports and see if it is the video card or the MB though.

http://www.frappr.com/bluesnewsmembers
Show me where you live! I promise it will only hurt the first time.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

comp prob
Dec 8, 2005, 19:43
comp prob Dec 8, 2005, 19:43
Dec 8, 2005, 19:43

I'm having a problem with my computer. Does anyone have any ideas?

When I turn it on, I get the "error beep" code of 1 long, 2 short, and the computer will sound like it's booting up, but nothing will ever display on the screen. That error code,means there is a problem with the video card. Starting the computer without the video card in, and the monitor plugged into the motherboard, works fine, but I'm trying to get my video card working again.
I've found that by switching the video card between the two PCI slots, and restarting the computer from anywhere between 3 - 100 times, if I hear the beeps, can usually get her working.
The other day I had to unplug my machine, and NO amount of restarts seems to be fixing it. I'm sure that just buying a new card would probably do it, but I don't have any money, nor access to another video card. And I've cleaned connections, checked the card for anything loose etc., and the fact that SOMETIMES the video card works means she isn't completely busted.
Has anyone else had a problem like this before? Are multiple, and by multiple I mean MULTIPLE, restarts really that bad for the computer? These restarts come within 5 seconds of eachother, when I hear beeps right as it starts up, I restart her.

thanks

73 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older