SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Gov. Rod
Blagojevich vowed to appeal a federal judge's ruling that shot down a new
Illinois law banning the sale of violent or sexual video games to minors.
U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Kennelly ruled Friday that Illinois'
restrictions are unconstitutional and barred the state from enforcing the law.
The Democratic governor and other supporters of the measure have argued that
children were being harmed by exposure to games in which characters go on
killing sprees or sexual escapades.
"This battle is not over," Blagojevich said in a statement. "Parents should be
able to expect that their kids will not have access to excessively violent and
sexually explicit video games without their permission."
Kennelly said state officials came "nowhere near" demonstrating that the law
passes constitutional muster.
Opponents had declared the law a restriction on free speech and pointed out that
similar laws had been struck down in other states.