Dear Diaries

View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: design by statistics
Nov 30, 2005, 17:52
Re: design by statistics Nov 30, 2005, 17:52
Nov 30, 2005, 17:52

I have to agree with cliffski on the point that most people don't know what they want. Oh, they think they know what they want, but when they get it, they're often bored by it. A good designer like Sid Meier knows how to create fun. That's what they're paid to do, not watch meaningless statistical surveys of potential players.

As the old saying goes, "Tell me what result you want, and I'll produce a survey to prove it." Statistics hover right around the Meaningless Tree anyway; a survey about a game that doesn't exist yet is beyond pointless.

For all the bashing Verant took with their "You're In Our World Now" motto, McQuaid & Co. were right about the design. When they left and Sony put bean counters in charge of development, things went downhill with EQ very rapidly. It went from a challenging, interesting experience to a rat race. I'm hoping McQuaid sticks to his guns and delivers a quality product with Vanguard.

Nov 30, 2005, 16:57
Re: design by statistics Nov 30, 2005, 16:57
Nov 30, 2005, 16:57

The problem is that people do not know what they want. If you ask an RTS player, he will say he wants millions of units, and the ability to control everything, but have the game easy to pick up and play with no micromanagement, which is all contradictory.
Thats why people employ games designers, or at least they used to, now they employ big mouthed hype-spewing idiots, or replace the designer with the marketing department.

www.positech.co.uk

Re: No subject
Nov 30, 2005, 14:11
Re: No subject Nov 30, 2005, 14:11
Nov 30, 2005, 14:11

RTS?!?

FPS!

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 30, 2005, 09:12
Re: design by statistics Nov 30, 2005, 09:12
Nov 30, 2005, 09:12

You ever see the episode of the Simpsons where Homer got to design a car?

The only issue to that being, it's one person's idea (Homer's) of what he thinks the public may want, rather than a collective idea from a large sample of people. So, in fact, he's designing it for himself. At least, that's the way I see it.

EDIT: For comparison, look at the PT Cruiser.... not that I think it's much better than the double-bubbled "Homer."

Back on topic, I -might- get this, despite my leaning toward not paying a monthly fee just to play a game, after having already paid to take it off the shelf...

Dan =0)

....en það besta sem guð hefur skapa er nýr dagur - Sigur Rós, viðrar vel til loftárása
Self-plug: http://www.dankupka.com
Self-plug #2: http://dankupkamusic.blogspot.com
This comment was edited on Nov 30, 09:16.
Shameless self-plug(s): http://drdk.bandcamp.com - also on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Amazon, etc.

Nov 30, 2005, 08:53
Re: design by statistics Nov 30, 2005, 08:53
Nov 30, 2005, 08:53

What's wrong with finding out what your customers want and designing your product around that?

You ever see the episode of the Simpsons where Homer got to design a car?

I read an interesting article in a UK PC Gamer with one of the games designers at City Of Heroes. He was pretty derisive of games developers who tried to make games they thought players would like rather than games that the developers themselves were enthusiastic about. He's a non-PC gamer (a comix fanatic who's into RPGs and boardgames) who designed a MMORPG he would want to play not what he thought other people would want to play. Seems to have worked okay for him.

Game budgets are too big these days. We need to return to the days of bedroom coders.

Naw. Maybe not.

Nov 30, 2005, 08:40
Tom
Re: design by statistics Nov 30, 2005, 08:40
Nov 30, 2005, 08:40
Tom

Y'know, if there's a negative way to look at something, Blue's News commenters will find it.

What's wrong with finding out what your customers want and designing your product around that? All too often we have games with a "creative vision" that deliver stupid stuff that's not fun and not what people want. Why must market research and creative vision be mutually exclusive?

I'm not too hopeful about this game being good, but I think this kind of analysis will do more good than harm.

No subject
Nov 30, 2005, 04:28
No subject Nov 30, 2005, 04:28
Nov 30, 2005, 04:28

Isn't Battlefront 2 supposed to be an FPS, not to be confused with Empire at War? Little typo there

design by statistics
Nov 30, 2005, 04:11
design by statistics Nov 30, 2005, 04:11
Nov 30, 2005, 04:11

So in the abscence of any creative vision, the design is led by an excel spreadsheet. This star trek game sounds worse and worse. They thought playing opposing sides would be good until the bean counters told them they could cut that out, stioll sell copies, then screw existing players for an expansion pack.
Screw em, I'll go with piratesoftheburningsea

www.positech.co.uk
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older