CoD2 Server Revolt

The Time has Come for Action, We will be ignored no longer on IW Nation's Official Infinity Ward Forums features discontented outcry from some Call of Duty 2 server operators. The thread is an extensive discussion of the potential for a "strike" to take multiplayer servers for the World War II shooter sequel offline as a protest. At issue are the game's lack of anti-cheating technology (the original Call of Duty eventually added PunkBuster support via a post-release patch) and general lack of information about plans to support the game going forward.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

really?
Nov 28, 2005, 09:31
really? Nov 28, 2005, 09:31
Nov 28, 2005, 09:31

"Sorry mate..you are talking out of your as*hole.

Both CoD 2 versions were in fact developed separately."

Then why are both versions identical? A PC game should not come to us with all the kiddiefied indicators. We should get a semi auto weap mode for weaps that have them in real life. We should get Epic mp maps, not all the smallish quaker carbon copy cqb maps we got.

And wtf is the limited sprint ability? COD 2 is more like a console port to PC. In the old days the PC version of games was way more PC oriented. Now they make PC versions and console versions identical. What a waste of the PCs abilities, and for the PC players that gotta put up with it.

I loved the sp experience cause it was Epic. But totally fuxoring hate the fact that all the PC version is, is a straight port of the console version. A PC version dumbazzed down.

Re: Here we go again.
Nov 27, 2005, 22:35
Re: Here we go again. Nov 27, 2005, 22:35
Nov 27, 2005, 22:35

"There should be a law requiring any developer/producer of software to back their product a minimum of one year after original release date. I'm against big government but I am also tired of buying games like Full Spectrum Warrior for instance that are sold to the consumer and then forgotten."

I've often thought that this should be the case too, but it's never going to happen. While you can get a warranty on most products you purchase, as far as I know there is no legal requirement for them. And all that's going to do is get the publishers to go "Fine, you want the games to run well at release, we're just going to make soul-less titles that are devoid of real content." After all, the less stuff they put in them, the less they'll have to support. It's a good idea, but the only thing that's going to work is if people refuse to buy these games unless they ship in a good condition. But with all the lemmings that bought BF2 on launch day just to name one example, I don't see that happening.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Here we go again.
Nov 27, 2005, 12:31
Here we go again. Nov 27, 2005, 12:31
Nov 27, 2005, 12:31

There should be a law requiring any developer/producer of software to back their product a minimum of one year after original release date. I'm against big government but I am also tired of buying games like Full Spectrum Warrior for instance that are sold to the consumer and then forgotten.

If there were a law requiring support via updates not only would it hopefully cool the jets of greedy producers/distributors just looking to release a buggy POS cash cow. But also they may actual care enough to stomp out some of those bugs they have listed as acceptable.

Also you guys are acting like PB is the answer. I will admit it is better than nothing but PB is just another hurdle for the hackers. They live off this shit... beating somebody else's code and making it possible for asshole everywhere to cheat on-line. They love it... guess some people are just twisted like that.

Punk Buster is another industry. Just like virus protection. And who pushes a lot of these virus stories that are all over the net? The same companies that profit by selling you software they claim will protect you.

Punk Buster is no different. And their site Punks Busted is run by admins who are suppose to be above all this. No hackers there no way.

Well some of you from the R6 RvS community may remember a few little incidents a year or two back?

An admin on Punks Busted who is there to enforce the rules of no cheating, who judges others suspected of or caught hacking, and who bans others for said cheating... guess what BUSTED hacking. I lmao when she claimed it was her sons fault he was using my PC and must have installed some hacks.

Another case similar on CAL with RvS. An admin who also laddered and leagued as part of SMAK clan. BUSTED hacking.

And when you go onto their forums and bring up the fact there is a conflict of interests. That admins running the league are also playing in the league or in others. Well they try to silence you by threatening forums bans and league bans. Not just you but your entire clan. (Hey, Gunter, how you been asshole?)

I know this is a bit off topic but PB is not the only answer. It may be part of it. But its just like anti-virus software... its not bullet-proof. The rest of the answer is finding decent honest people to admin servers, ladders, and leagues. Power corrupts even when you are only talking about power to ban somebody you dislike or a few key players from another clan that is a rival.

I got another few but hopefully you get the point. For casual play PB is usually there to stop little pimply faced Johnny from ruining your day with some old downloaded skillz. But to stop the more advanced hackers... nah. It just gives them a shield to hide behind.

Still I hope this movement works out for the community. Because the other poster hit right on the head. The gamers and server admins are what keeps the game alive after release day. So if you want to hit them where it hurts shut the servers down.

I doubt I will pick up the game not even for the single-player after reading this and a few other forums.

Hope you all had a great Thanks Giving Day Weekend!

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 12:45.

Re: Major News Picking this up?
Nov 27, 2005, 11:23
Re: Major News Picking this up? Nov 27, 2005, 11:23
Nov 27, 2005, 11:23

Well then this might shame the developer/publisher to actually doing something.

Re: Major News Picking this up?
Nov 27, 2005, 09:14
Re: Major News Picking this up? Nov 27, 2005, 09:14
Nov 27, 2005, 09:14

Looks like the thing is gaining momentum. I know Ziff-Davis (PC Mag publisher and part owner of G4TV) has the story. IW and Activision might just sit up and take notice...especially when the stock holders start asking questions.....

No subject
Nov 27, 2005, 07:14
No subject Nov 27, 2005, 07:14
Nov 27, 2005, 07:14

Isn't Hellchick (Caryn Law) community relations for Activision? If she isn't making a public statement then upper management must be keeping her silenced because she wouldn't let this crap happen.

*cue Will Powers voice*

No, Not Caryn...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: No subject
Nov 27, 2005, 04:01
Re: No subject Nov 27, 2005, 04:01
Nov 27, 2005, 04:01

It won't happen..ever. Look at any other branch of the entertainment industry. Crap and the people who buy crap will always be around. I'm talking OBJECTIVE crap not this "oh well that's just YOUR opinion"-type crap. The younger generations will only grow more and more tolerant and subservient to the industries bullshit as time goes on...once it's the only thing they know.

This may sound a bit elitist in tone but that's not it's intention..just being honest. If anything useful becomes of this "strike", I hope it's that the fat-cats can see that gamers ARE starting to notice and have more of inclination to take action in response to getting the short end of the stick.

This comment was edited on Nov 27, 04:21.

Nov 27, 2005, 02:19
Re: No subject Nov 27, 2005, 02:19
Nov 27, 2005, 02:19

" Why is it I can see this happening:
CoD 3 - Only on the Xbox 360"

because console players dont know any better.
give them any FPS and they think its good.
if i were a sellout dev.. i'd make a console FPS.. you know many kids are going to ask for it, and game-blind parents will pick it up.
regardless if the game sucks or not.

hopefully someday soon, the console crowd will wake up and demand better games as well.

Nov 27, 2005, 01:42
Re: No subject Nov 27, 2005, 01:42
Nov 27, 2005, 01:42

People need to smarten up and stop buying PC games that suffer from consolitis. Learn the lesson of Deus Ex Invisible war.

amen to that! I have never seen a more 'consolified' massacre of what was originally a superb PC game. Dx1 was awesome, Dx2 had a few interesting moments and places, but going through tiny levels and heaps of loading screens, not to mention unified ammo (argh!) just really killed the joy for me. not impressed at all!

Nov 27, 2005, 00:06
Re: No subject Nov 27, 2005, 00:06
Nov 27, 2005, 00:06

LOL..AHAHAHA..Consoles dont need cheat protections? BWAHAHAAHAH... And I bet you don't think those mod chips actually work too huh?
People hack console games just as they hack PC games. People cheat console games just as they do PC games.
Mod chips and hardware hacks don't let you cheat in games. I'm talking about gameplay based cheating. Not hardware modification to aid in piracy of software.

No subject
Nov 26, 2005, 23:19
No subject Nov 26, 2005, 23:19
Nov 26, 2005, 23:19

LOL..AHAHAHA..Consoles dont need cheat protections? BWAHAHAAHAH... And I bet you don't think those mod chips actually work too huh?

People hack console games just as they hack PC games. People cheat console games just as they do PC games.

And I think you guys throw ports around to lightly. The art accross the board is the same, with the PS2 and possible xbox versions using slightly downsampled textures and reduced poly models. Some code between the pc, xbox360, and Xbox are shared, but alot of it is seperate too. For one, I am fairly certain neither Xboxs use directX. Also multi player is quite a bit different, the the PC using user servers and user software, while the xbox's connect to Xbox LIVE and its servers only.

The PS2 uses vastly different code of course being totaly different architecture.

Re: STRIKE!
Nov 26, 2005, 23:14
f13
Re: STRIKE! Nov 26, 2005, 23:14
Nov 26, 2005, 23:14
f13

I have no problem with new BF2 patch and BF2 does include PB. So what's your point again?

im talking about the bitching and moaning i keep reading regarding game balance! And while your stating punkbuster, my point goes BEYOND that!

Re: STRIKE!
Nov 26, 2005, 23:09
Re: STRIKE! Nov 26, 2005, 23:09
Nov 26, 2005, 23:09

STRIKE! Nov 26, 22:40 f13

maybe BF2 servers-operators should do the same. I mean.. It's funny how WE (people, server owners) basically FEED the online junkies, so the developers basically make money out of us. Cause.. without servers, there's no online play and if there's no online play.. buying the game is pointless.

Yes! Server admins everywhere revoke your rights! awww latest patch ruined the game? STRIKE! awww game keeps crashing? STRIKE! awwww too much cheaters? STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE! ( I guess that would kill the CS universe rofl)

f13, Umm why? I have no problem with new BF2 patch and BF2 does include PB. So what's your point again?

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 23:09.
"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

Nov 26, 2005, 23:07
Re: No subject Nov 26, 2005, 23:07
Nov 26, 2005, 23:07

BigFat is right on the money, well said.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"

Nov 26, 2005, 22:47
Re: No subject Nov 26, 2005, 22:47
Nov 26, 2005, 22:47

"Both CoD 2 versions were in fact developed separately. "

Is that a joke? I've played both, the PC version is practically a direct port. And a slack one at that.

Let's say they were developed sperately, what in gods name would make a PC FPS developer put RECHARGEABLE health in their game?
Anyone should have known this is a console port the second they played the demo. IW had this exact same problem with CoD 1 when they neglected PB in a game with an engine that had been around for years. Back then, they had to support the PC gamers, their primary audience. Now, I'm not so confident we'll see the same reaction.

Nov 26, 2005, 22:44
Re: No subject Nov 26, 2005, 22:44
Nov 26, 2005, 22:44

I haven't bought CoD2, and I won't until they release some official form of anti cheat. Of course by then, the prices will drop on the game also. If, that is, they ever patch the game with some form of anti cheat. If they don't, well I guess I'll go buy some other game instead then.
Consoles are schwag.

STRIKE!
Nov 26, 2005, 22:40
f13
STRIKE! Nov 26, 2005, 22:40
Nov 26, 2005, 22:40
f13

maybe BF2 servers-operators should do the same. I mean.. It's funny how WE (people, server owners) basically FEED the online junkies, so the developers basically make money out of us. Cause.. without servers, there's no online play and if there's no online play.. buying the game is pointless.

Yes! Server admins everywhere revoke your rights! awww latest patch ruined the game? STRIKE! awww game keeps crashing? STRIKE! awwww too much cheaters? STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE! ( I guess that would kill the CS universe rofl)

No subject
Nov 26, 2005, 22:02
No subject Nov 26, 2005, 22:02
Nov 26, 2005, 22:02

Sleepless code, listen they did not state anywhere that they do plan to add anti cheat at all, in fact they tried to hide there is no PB till after the game came out because Acitivision and IW is trying to rip you off. They dont give a f*** as long as you buy the game and then are stuck with no support. As soon as I noticed there is no PB I was laughing at all the people who bought the game and thought "they will add it soon". See now they realize there wont be any support or PB for this game. Maybe they will learn not to buy next game IW develops but I doubt it.

Nov 26, 2005, 21:10
Re: No subject Nov 26, 2005, 21:10
Nov 26, 2005, 21:10

Cod 2 was developed for xbox360 and there is no need for cheat protection on the xbox360. That's why they didn't think it was worth spending the resources on putting in cheat protection on a game that was going to be ported to PC.

People need to smarten up and stop buying PC games that suffer from consolitis. Learn the lesson of Deus Ex Invisible war.

If Cod2 was designed only for PC it would have been a lot better and they would have had some kind of anti cheat system in place......

Sorry mate..you are talking out of your as*hole.

Both CoD 2 versions were in fact developed separately.

Neither version is port.

It's not so unusual that anti cheat protection is added later. Give them time (at least till Christmas).

All Xbox 360 games have to be supported with new content, patches (if necessary) etc. It is rule ...by Microsoft.

But it is your right to not use your brain so you could come up with some better conclusions than little overused "consolitis"

Do you really believe than PC only games are all perfect only because fact that they are PC games?

Surely, you must be joking right?

You have plenty of other games to play which will not come to consoles and will not suffer from your "consolitis".

Nov 26, 2005, 20:12
Re: No subject Nov 26, 2005, 20:12
Nov 26, 2005, 20:12

Not really on topic, but coincidentaly I've been playing DE:IW through again this last week. No idea why really, its not a very good game. Guess after finishing CoD2, FEAR, and Quake 4 in only about a 2-week period I was left wanting for more in the FPS realm. There's always more Civ4 tho..

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older