Walk of Game

The 2006 Walk of Game Inductees have been announced (thanks Frans and Gamecloud), where id Software's John Carmack and Firaxis' Sid Meier have both been honored for their lifetime achievements in game development. This year they are also honoring the games Starcraft, Final Fantasy, and EverQuest as well as the character Lara Croft.
View : : :
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Nov 16, 2005, 09:25
Re: No subject Nov 16, 2005, 09:25
Nov 16, 2005, 09:25

"John Carmack is responsible for some of the most compelling and successful PC game titles of all time"

"Compelling: ADJECTIVE: 1. Urgently requiring attention: a host of compelling socioeconomic problems. 2. Drivingly forceful: compelling ambition and egotism."

Ugggh how sad.

I'm not sure I follow your point there, Acleacius..

What's wrong with:

compelling | adjective
• Evoking interest, attention, or admiration in a powerfully irresistible way : his eyes were strangely compelling | a compelling film.
• not able to be refuted; inspiring conviction : compelling evidence | a compelling argument.
• not able to be resisted; overwhelming : the temptation to give up was compelling.
?

or perhaps from the thesaurus:

compelling | adjective
1. a compelling performance: enthralling, captivating, gripping, riveting, spellbinding, mesmerizing, absorbing, irresistible. antonym: boring.
2. a compelling argument: convincing, persuasive, cogent, irresistible, powerful, strong, weighty, plausible, credible, sound, valid, telling, conclusive, irrefutable, unanswerable. antonym: weak.

My dictionary lists the definitions you've given for compelling as being for the transitive verb form, which would be a strange thing for them to be trying to use when describing video games (although Jack Thompson might be delighted ;)):

compel | verb ( -pelled , -pelling ) [ trans. ]
• force or oblige (someone) to do something : a sense of duty compelled Harry to answer her questions.
• bring about (something) by the use of force or pressure : they may compel a witness's attendance at court by issue of a summons.
• poetic/literary drive forcibly : by heav'n's high will compell'd from shore to shore.

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

No subject
Nov 16, 2005, 04:23
No subject Nov 16, 2005, 04:23
Nov 16, 2005, 04:23

"John Carmack is responsible for some of the most compelling and successful PC game titles of all time"

"Compelling: ADJECTIVE: 1. Urgently requiring attention: a host of compelling socioeconomic problems. 2. Drivingly forceful: compelling ambition and egotism."

Ugggh how sad.

But I don't get a sense you're listening, so, fuck it, let's go to Hell !

Re: No subject
Nov 16, 2005, 01:23
Re: No subject Nov 16, 2005, 01:23
Nov 16, 2005, 01:23

Yay John Carmack! I voted for you! Now go back to making a new game/space engine.

No subject
Nov 16, 2005, 01:16
No subject Nov 16, 2005, 01:16
Nov 16, 2005, 01:16

Congratulations guys, you certainly deserve it.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older