Star Wars Galaxies Starter Kit

LucasArts announces plans to release a Starter Kit for Star Wars Galaxies, offering the chance to start the MMORPG with an X-Wing or a TIE Fighter, perhaps equipped with the interstellar equivalent of training wheels:
With complete content from both Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided® and Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed™, as well as new material created just for the game, The Starter Kit allows players to explore the most dangerous planets of the Star Wars galaxy taking on the role of the famous iconic heroes – from bounty hunter to smuggler. The package includes an exclusive in-game personal X-wing® or TIE fighter®, and at only $19.99 – plus 30 days of gameplay included with purchase – you won’t have to sell your landspeeder in order to gain enough galactic credits to fulfill your destiny. It’s never been easier to get into the game.
View : : :
57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Free X-Wing or Tie Fighter
Nov 10, 2005, 17:12
Free X-Wing or Tie Fighter Nov 10, 2005, 17:12
Nov 10, 2005, 17:12

Getting a free X-Wing or Tie fighter isn't all that special in game, while the changes overall definitely show a lack of respect for what the community wants, giving new players an Xwing / Tie Fighter isn't a big deal.

Imperial pilots have always gotten a free tie fighter so it makes sense to give a new rebel pilot an xwing. That is the match up everyone knows. This free xwing is probably just a starter ship anyway and is not something of any value.

Where is my Xbox 360!?!
This comment was edited on Nov 10, 17:17.

Re: Sony is really going down a dirty ro
Nov 10, 2005, 15:00
Re: Sony is really going down a dirty ro Nov 10, 2005, 15:00
Nov 10, 2005, 15:00

Creston,

I agree with you there. The other bullshit that occurs when people buy their items instead of earning them, is you get all these little fly-by-night pricks with more money than brains. They come in after buying all the good stuff you worked hard for, talk shit, play the game for 3 weeks, then quit. Since they didn't really earn the items in the game, they have zero respect for anyone who has, didn't become a part of the community through playing the game, and have no clue how hard it really is to ear some items. Most of them just go in and grief people.

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you."
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Re: Sony is really going down a dirty road
Nov 10, 2005, 09:24
Re: Sony is really going down a dirty road Nov 10, 2005, 09:24
Nov 10, 2005, 09:24

I always thought it would have been cool to take the PlanetSide concept of large scale (MMO) FPS warfare and apply it to the SW Universe. So I guess take SW Battlefront and make it a PlanetSide type FPS-MMO where battle and action are the key ingrediants and fight for key resources on the planets continents for better weapons etc.

Sony is really going down a dirty road
Nov 10, 2005, 00:50
Sony is really going down a dirty road Nov 10, 2005, 00:50
Nov 10, 2005, 00:50

They are basically saying "Fuck all our players, as long as we can get money out of it, we'll sell anything and everything in our games."

So you spent 500 hours working your ass off for that X-Wing? Well, too bad, new players can get one for 20 bucks.
You instanced 7000 dungeons for that cool Sword of UltraDeath? Well, that little schlep who just joined three days ago bought it on Sony's trade station with his daddy's credit card.

The whole point about MMORPGs is ACHIEVING something (besides the social aspects, ofcourse) with your character. That this usually turns into a levelling treadmil, granted, but character growth and finally obtaining that famed item / armor / xwing is an achievement that many players struggle for.

Sony is completely shitting all over those achievements and is turning into the biggest fucking goldfarming whore ever witnessed in MMORPG history. And what's worse is that they don't even go to try to FIND stuff. At least farmers play the game, in a fashion to get their loot.
Sony just runs their little "create cool item" script, and puts it on their wh0repage for 20 bucks.

It's fucking sickening to watch the way they completely whore themselves out, and kick all their players in the balls while doing so.

Why anyone is still playing Sony's games with this kind of shit going on is beyond me.

Creston

Re: No subject
Nov 9, 2005, 19:14
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 19:14
Nov 9, 2005, 19:14

Interesting point Semantics, but I just read on another forum the other day that linked to a recently held conference where four major names in the MMO community were talking about what mistakes were made and what to avoid.

One of the points mentioned that you should not make drastic changes to a game to "try" and draw a crowd from one game to your game. One you will NEVER get those people over cause they are in that game for a reason (ie. like the game, there friends play it, etc.)

Two is that your current community you will now alienate cause the man reason why they are playing (and paying) for your game is what originally brought them to it but you are changing it in "hopes" of bringing more but it's a double whammy!

Nov 9, 2005, 19:01
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 19:01
Nov 9, 2005, 19:01

I'd wager that basically they aren't happy with how many people are in the game now, and want massive WoW numbers, and are basically, as somebody said, making a sequel while just reusing most of the code, without spinning off a new actual product. They likely don't care if people who are currently playing keep playing it or not.

I was going to guess that with the expansion pack they were doing something like AC2, where they hoped it would inject life into the game, but didn't, so they are basically "killing" the game. But it looks like they only released it a week ago, so that doesn't make any sense.

Nov 9, 2005, 18:51
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 18:51
Nov 9, 2005, 18:51

Mmm, yeah, I didn't realize they had condensed the classes. The fact is, SWG doesn't have a whole lot of unique content. It's almost all randomly generated, and it's just not very interesting once you see how it all works. With even fewer classes, SWG just got that much less interesting.. Is SOE out of business yet...

Nov 9, 2005, 18:48
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 18:48
Nov 9, 2005, 18:48

Once you instance that much of the game, it becomes an RPG with "online" elements.

Yeah...Baldur's Gate had 'online elements' in it, too. Hardly means it was an Everquest or WoW.

Nov 9, 2005, 18:45
DDI
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 18:45
Nov 9, 2005, 18:45
DDI

I thought I read that you can still customize your profession to suit your liking.

Nov 9, 2005, 18:14
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 18:14
Nov 9, 2005, 18:14

The part that isn't in the news about the new SWG changes is how many people QUIT because their professions were marginalized, or melted together into 9 new professions. Of course when they combined professions, they completely left out the things that made them fun. The official marketing verbage I have read on this suggests there are 9 NEW, as in "additional", professions. Not that they have been boiled down to 9 from 36 or whatever it was. Typical shady BS.

For example, my favorite SWG profession: Ranger, was now combined with some other crap to make the "spy" class. What Rangers like about being Rangers was the outdoors, hunting, survivalist aspect of it. We had camps, traps, tracking ability to help people find mobs (and other people), group camoflage for protection from dangerous mobs, etc. I can't really do it justice here without telling stories, but the point is, we loved it and it was our "home" within the game. SOE simply eliminated us along with other professions after promising WHILE THIS NEW UPDATE WAS IN DEVELOPMENT IN SECRECY, that they would be revamping the Ranger class along with the others that needed work.

You could argue that this Ranger profession was not "Star Warsy" in the first place, but then you could say that about 3/4+ of the game. They had to make Star Wars fit the MMORPG mold, and to do that they had to bring in elements of the expanded universe (books), along with a little creative license. If you read any of the myriad of Star Wars books, you can find all kinds of content that is not a part of the movies.

Something else that is important to note here is that SOE set up "In Concept", "In Development" and "In Live" forums for feedback from the community a loooong time ago. Each profession had a representative on the corresponding forum area. These correspondents had direct access to people within SOE for passing community feedback, bug reports, and suggestions. SOE has made a big deal out of being in touch with the community for SWG. This was THEIR idea, and people used it. They also created "Test Center" servers where everyone could go and help out with beta testing new features. It made the comunity feel like a real part of the game's future.

It seems this latest "revamp" developed in complete secrecy, behind the backs of the current SWG community. There were no "In Concept" posts from the devs, no "In Testing" posts, or Test Center access to the new features. No community feedback (and so no uproar), etc. They pretty much burned their hardcore base right out of the game this time. A short visit to the SWG boards will illustrate how betrayed and pissed off most people are. Oh, and I almost forgot... they JUST released the Trials of Obi-Wan expansion. Everyone went out and bought it, then they dropped this revamp bomb. How fucked up is that? This is more than the simple alienation of players who will miss their obsolete professions, it was a complete fucking BURN.

I'm curious to see how the revamp turns out. I think SOE stuck it to their base by handling it this way. I will watch for reviews as no doubt this will be reported on quit a bit. I believe the game will be dead, unless by some miracle this update works the magic of bringing the current base back to the table, and entices lots of new players.

---
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Nov 9, 2005, 18:03
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 18:03
Nov 9, 2005, 18:03

Jedi - (waves hand) This is not the Star Wars game you are looking for.

Smedley - This is not the Star Wars game you are looking for.

Jedi - (waves hand) Move along.

Smedley - Move along.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games - http://www.ztgames.com
CSS Server 63.208.142.66:27015

No subject
Nov 9, 2005, 16:00
No subject Nov 9, 2005, 16:00
Nov 9, 2005, 16:00

WTF is something like that doing in a Star Wars Game?? Developers should rip out this bullshit and start making the game fun.

If you've been reading the news lately you'll see that the major change in classes and combat going into effect Friday means to do just what you're suggesting.

people also need to understand that complexity is what gives many MMOGs their longevity. The average life for a typical SPG is about 3 weeks for me then I'm burned out. MMOG's have a 2 -3 month life and thats because of the amount of things to learn/do. I think thats pretty average for most folks (except for those creepy fat-assed mouth breathers in their basements who play for months/years on end)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Nov 9, 2005, 15:58
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 15:58
Nov 9, 2005, 15:58

WTF is something like that doing in a Star Wars Game?? Developers should rip out this bullshit and start making the game fun. I think the Guild Wars approach is just about right.

Supposedly that's what they are doing. We'll see how it will play out on november 15th when they push it live.

I'm just apathetic about it. One one hand it's radically different and "dumbed down". On the other hand, they're making content and trying to make it fun.

/shrug

A little off topic
Nov 9, 2005, 15:37
A little off topic Nov 9, 2005, 15:37
Nov 9, 2005, 15:37

I think the next evolution in MMO games should be eliminating the who "level" design, forcing players who want to say do more of the non-combative crafting on the same level.

I think some sort of experience/point system should be implimented. So a standard player who wants to just fight could do that and earn "points" to spend how he feels fit to improve his character. On the same line a character who say wants to collect different plants to create potions should earn "experience" from that as well cause they are learning how to make the potion.

Yes I know my "design" is not perfect but I am sure that no MMO game was created in a 5 minute thought written on a napkin. But my point I am trying to get across is that the above is a start for a design to not force every player in the game that they must do combat to be able to do better stuff. Also with a point system I think to a degree if the per se game has PvP then there is a chance for an inexperienced combative character able to go against an experience one and not get "one shotted". Although the experience one will still probably win at the end but that is an extreme senerio case.

Re: Oh how the mighty have fallen
Nov 9, 2005, 15:18
DDI
Re: Oh how the mighty have fallen Nov 9, 2005, 15:18
Nov 9, 2005, 15:18
DDI

It's like saying that point and click adventures are just text-based adventures with graphics -- of course they are.

And you don't see many of those anymore do you.

Ultima Online kind of broke the mold of a MUD. There were no clear cut character classes, no strange special attack abilities, and no onscreen text log. The immersiveness breaking information most MMORPG's provide you with were kept hidden, like to-hit rolls, numbered damage output, etc. Everyone eventually played as they saw fit when it was finally semi balanced. I played UO the longest probably because of that.

What they are talking about doing to SWG is breaking the MUD mold by making some parts twitch style... aiming your blaster and firing instead of arbitrary to hit rolls.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 15:22.

Nov 9, 2005, 15:13
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 15:13
Nov 9, 2005, 15:13

Why did you have to remind me about the crafting in SWG Rock Climber? God I loved SWG for it's crafting and hunts...

/drooling a bit.

Nov 9, 2005, 14:35
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 14:35
Nov 9, 2005, 14:35

I don't agree with the Guild Wars approach, nor do I consider it an MMORPG. As many have pointed out here... it's not an MMORPG. Once you instance that much of the game, it becomes an RPG with "online" elements.

As I said in my post below though, I think *some* instancing will be required in true MMORPGs from now on though, if we all want cinematic, epic quests. Going on quests with your friends in an open MMO is still fun. Part of the adventure sometimes is having to deal with campers/gankers, and meeting people while you are out questing or hunting is how I made MANY friends in SWG. I just don't want to deal with it all the time, and I want some of my quests to be "over the top" cool.

As for the crafting system, I think you HAVE to have it. Some players want to be involved in the game without being a part of the combat system. It's a matter of subscribers. If you limit your MMORPG to combat only, you cut out a large portion of the people out there. I agree that they should have put as much effort into the questing/combat system as they did the crafting system though. As I said before, my experience was that the people who held the most accounts, spent the most time, and were "anchors" of the online SWG community were the crafters.

I actually had two accounts, one crafter and one combat so I could play whatever aspect of the game matched my mood that day.

---
--

Nov 9, 2005, 14:20
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 14:20
Nov 9, 2005, 14:20

As far as I know, no other game has a crafting system that is even close to being this deep.

A Tale in the Desert has a pretty nutty level of crafting. Like you have to harvest ore, using various devices, trying to figure out the way the ore veins run, then gather wood and build an oven to smelt the ore, and so on and so on. I don't know if it is "deep" as much as "extremely time consuming". Which is why I stopped playing after about a week.

Nov 9, 2005, 14:13
Flo
Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 14:13
Nov 9, 2005, 14:13
Flo

Gotta add my 2 cents here: I currently don't play an MMORPG, I played UO, EQ, Planetside, Earth & beyond and EVE (with EVE remaining my favorite). I stopped playing every one of these games after about 1-3 months (about 6 months for EVE) for the same reason: I just didnt have the time to gain access to high level content and each game became boring and repetitive after a while. The monthly price tag was also one of the main reasons.
SWG is a prime example of what is wrong with this kind of games:

For those of you who have never played SWG and have no idea about the resource/harvesting/crafting system, I won't even bother to try to explain it to you. You could litterally write a 300+ page instruction manual about this aspect of the game alone.

WTF is something like that doing in a Star Wars Game?? Developers should rip out this bullshit and start making the game fun. I think the Guild Wars approach is just about right.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Re: Oh how the mighty have fallen
Nov 9, 2005, 14:02
Re: Oh how the mighty have fallen Nov 9, 2005, 14:02
Nov 9, 2005, 14:02

It'll attack healers.

Yeah, and so would EQ's and other MMORPGs, but they don't attack them until they are dead, dead, dead. Which is what players do, including in PvP.

You travel x distance away and only then do they attack despite you being visible to them.

Again, EQ tried having aggro distance be line-of-sight on some things. It worked... poorly. Especially if it was chained aggro (mob 1 sees you and aggros, mob 2 sees mob 1 aggro and aggros, etc). That's actually much closer to "real world", but in the end it really isn't any fun. Plus it causes some difficulties with network/server code (it didn't in EQ, but EQ always sent all the info on all the mobs in the zone, regardless of how close or far away you were. That's how ShowEQ did its magic).

You can mathematically figure out the average damage per second and heals you'll need to defeat a monster before you ever fight it

That's true for any game. And you can try to hide those numbers but people will figure them out anyway (c.f. CoH). You don't see this as much in other games as much simply because there isn't the level of play in them. People spend hundreds of hours playing MMORPGs -- that generally cannot be said for any other game. Any other game that even comes close, however, ends up having people figure these kinds of things out (damage tables for weapons in FPS's, efficient build strategies for RTS's, etc).

One more thing that bugs me is everything is still a MUD with graphics.

I don't get why this is surprising or how this could be different. MUDs have been around far, far longer and are the basis for MMORPGs. It's like saying that point and click adventures are just text-based adventures with graphics -- of course they are. It's still an adventure game after all. If anything, MUDs are vastly more flexible because of the lack of graphics and the speed of development. Just look at how many different kinds of MUDs there are vs MMORPGs.

57 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older