Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Lord British Honored

Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences announces Richard "Lord British" Garriott is their latest Hall of Fame honoree:

CALABASAS, CA - November 8, 2005 - The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences (AIAS) announced that computer games pioneer Richard Garriott will be inducted into the AIAS Hall of Fame. Annually voted on by the Academy's Board of Directors, this honor is awarded to individuals whose efforts and contributions have expanded the scope and success of the computer games industry. As the ninth member of the Hall, Garriott joins an already impressive fraternity of gaming icons, including Trip Hawkins, Peter Molyneux, Yu Suzuki, Will Wright, John Carmack, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Sid Meier and Shigeru Miyamoto.

"Richard Garriott has inspired countless game designers over the past 20 years and his influence can be seen in many of today's most popular games," said Ted Price, president, Insomniac Games. "He has become an icon inside and out of the games industry; because of his accomplishments and leadership within the field of interactive entertainment, Garriott deserves to be a member of the AIAS Hall of Fame."

Garriott is best known for creating and publishing the best-selling Ultima series, including the first commercially successful online game, Ultima Online.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Richard Garriott FTW Nov 9, 2005, 14:54 Kxmode

Way to go big guy!

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: He Deserves It! Nov 9, 2005, 13:08 Taulin

I agree, I was always excited when an Origin game was released.

19. He Deserves It! Nov 9, 2005, 10:46 Elrix

Not for anything he has done recently, but the Ultima series of games were the apogee of CRPG development in the Eighties.

Also, Origin was the premier game software developer for many years, pushing the envelope time and time again.

Even if Richard produces nothing else of note, I think he can rest on his laurels.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 10:48.

18. Ultima Underworld Nov 9, 2005, 10:12 Cheese

Was done by Doug Church.

17. Does anyone still play this D2 Clone? Nov 9, 2005, 09:42 B M

I'm just curious to know if anyone still plays this Diablo 2 clone?

I played UO in 1998/1999 and for a short time in 2002 ( or was it 2003?) before they ripped out any remaining individuality and turned the game into a D2 clone and started selling skills/items.

Although the game was buggy as hell, I still have very fond memories of when I played the game back in 98/99. It's a shame that OSI/EA turned it into a sims/diablo 2 hybrid.

16. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 09:42 BubbleMage

Akalabeth.

15. No subject Nov 9, 2005, 09:06 Unknown Source

I lost all respect for him when he was reported bragging about how much money UO was making. He didn't seem to care that the game was pretty much unplayable and a bad deal for the player.  
I'm not even really here.

14. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 08:57 Paranoid Jack

There you go Elf that's the way I pretty much remembered it... though it took your retelling to bring it to clearity again.

13. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 08:53 DI-MeisterM

"But he soled his soul for Korean gold!"

Indeed, sad but true. Richard isn't anymore the one he was before...

12. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 06:06 The Half Elf

Actually all of us had headed to LB's Castle cause him and the other Lord and the 2 jester guys were showing up for a special event. The guy actually exploited a bug and stole a fire field scroll out of the backpack of the guy in front of him.

Here's what went wrong.

All the EA/Origin guys were suppose to be invunerable, but due to a bug in the code, LB's wasn't turned on. So they were laughing as the spell was done, but when everything cleared up (spell affect wise) LB was dead. The lag was so bad anyway it was a slide show. Next thing ya knew everyone was dead from all the Demons being summoned, if you weren't disconnected anyway from all the lag heh. it was insane. The Guy wasn't banned from the Beta for killing LB but for using an exploit to steal the spell from the guy in front of him But it was just as funny to see 'The King' get killed due to a bug with his god mode lol.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

11. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 05:18 Tehol

During an in-game appearance during Ultima Online's beta test on August 8, 1997. A player character known as Rainz cast a spell called "fire field" on Lord British that surprisingly killed him

another one from wikipedia:
The Pantless Invasion

One night during the Ultima Online pre-alpha phase Rainz and his captains swept the countryside gathering stray players and building an army to invade Britain. To distinguish themselves from enemies, Rainz instructed everyone to remove the lower portion of their armor and clothing. Word of the growing army spread to Britain and preparations were made for the attack. The pant less army rendezvoused at a large barn close to the city. Rainz used this barn as a staging point for the attack, sending in three waves of soldiers in short succession one after the other. The invading army outnumbered the defenders and decimated the entire Britannian garrison within minutes. All players who refused to join the army were also killed. The majority of the battle took place at the main bridge leading into the city. From that day on the bridge was known as the BoD, or Bridge of Death.

10. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 04:46 The Half Elf

I would love to get one of the shirts he made when EA shut down Origins. On it was 'We Created Worlds' with the dates the company open through. Their Tag line use to be 'We Create Worlds' and sadly they don't any longer.

I'm really surprised he didn't look into getting all the stuff leftover from Ultima:X that was canceled, and going off and reinventing Britannia again.

Sorry for the spelling sucking down caffine as fast as I can.

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

9. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 04:01  famished 

Yeah he died at the hand of a guy called Rainz. Look up the story, it's hilarious.

8. No subject Nov 9, 2005, 02:17 m00t

Am I the only one who read "As the ninth member of the Hall" as "At the ninth level of Hell" ?

7. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 02:02 Fantaz

So when's Warren Spector supposed to win an award? Hmmmm?

6. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 01:56 Damien

Well done I am so happy for you, I remember the wonderful days of Ultima Underworld and we owe them all to you.

ps to all of the critics: I think after EA bought out Origin (makers of the Ultimas etc...) everything just went so badly downhill (as it always seems with EA buyouts).
The great Origin was run in to the ground by EA and now is no more RIP.

Good luck for your future endevours Mr Garriot, we need more people like you in the games industry.

5. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 00:59 Paranoid Jack

Not killed... Assassinated in UO. That was pretty sweet. Didn't they ban the guy who killed him in-game?

Damn, I was a beta tester for UO. That was a looong time ago.

4. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 00:53 The Phantom Chicken of CS_Italy

Remember when Lord British was killed? ha ha ha ah ha

3. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 00:41 Tehol

he made great games in the past...yada yada....what about now?
he dried out?

sold his soul for korean gold
that was a good one.

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 00:43.

2. Re: No subject Nov 9, 2005, 00:12 Tom

It's been a long time since we saw something good from him. But he deserves this if only for his work prior to Ultima 8. Ultimas 6, 7, and SI in particular were brilliant RPGs. Today we hear about how one of Oblivion's big features is NPCs that live on a schedule. They tend shop, go out to eat, sleep at home, and so on. Well, that was done in Ultima 6, and that game ran on my 286 with EGA.

Here's to Lord British. I had a great time trying to murder you with powder kegs and glass swords.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo