Star Wars Galaxies Revamp Plans

A Producer Letter to the Community from Julio Torres of LucasArts (thanks Matt) outlines planned changes for the Star Wars MMORPG:
Over the past year we have been working hard to respond to feedback we have gotten from players, fans, focus groups, and other research. This feedback has ultimately centered on one key area: the game does not feel like a heroic Star Wars experience. Currently, the early game has a steep learning curve and there is no clearly defined path of advancement or adventure. Many of our fans who bought the game did not see enough Star Wars style action early-on and ultimately left our world. It is our goal to change this and improve the experience for all players.

We are introducing a series of game enhancements to Star Wars Galaxies this month that include both significant enhancements to the live game as well as a completely redesigned experience for new players. The primary areas of focus include combat and profession and character development. The combat depicted in the Star Wars films, fiction, and canon that we have all come to know and love is fast-paced, action-packed, and visually intense. In order to stay true to the Star Wars fiction as well as to make the combat system more engaging, we have shifted the turn-based paradigm towards a much more engaging fast-action combat system where you control every move! After receiving feedback from members of the community, conducting extensive focus tests, and evaluating the combat systems of other games in the genre, we are confident this new fast-action combat truly delivers what players, fans, and gamers have come to expect from a Star Wars experience.

As mentioned earlier, combat is not the only area where we decided to focus our improvement efforts. We have also improved and brought more clarity to the profession and character development system.

Changing a live game is never easy. We realize that players do not like to have their experience altered. These enhancements will take some getting used to and for that reason we lined-up some incentives for the current players to enjoy as our thanks for your loyalty to our game.

We value our community and want you to stay with us. Our goal is to continuously improve the Star Wars experience, the one we all know and love from the films and fiction; action-packed, story-driven, Star Wars fun. With these features and enhancements we are setting the stage for incredible things to come for Galaxies with more announcements happening in the coming months.
View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: my problems with swg
Nov 3, 2005, 16:57
Prez

Re: my problems with swg Nov 3, 2005, 16:57
Nov 3, 2005, 16:57
 Prez

I definitely fall into the "leave SWG alone and develop SWG2 with the sweeping changes you wish to implement" camp. It is very unlikely that those people who have left due to issues with the combat system or game's pace will give it another try, so all you're doing by revamping the game AGAIN is pissing off those who stayed with it and have to suffer through yet another sweeping overhaul of their favorite game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

my problems with swg
Nov 3, 2005, 10:11
my problems with swg Nov 3, 2005, 10:11
Nov 3, 2005, 10:11

It's easy to sit back as a user and gripe, but that said ...

I still play it from time to time .. I'll play for a month or two, cancel my subscription, log back in 9 months later, etc. I really enjoy the concept of the game, but get fed up with the actual mechanics of it.

My biggest issue is lag.. not latency, but walking into a house and having to wait 30 seconds for the server to decide to load the items in it. Talk about an immersion killer. Also, if I have my view distance to full, it gets so chunky from waiting for the server to figure out what to show me, it's not even worth it. I have great hardware, and even running in low resolution, it has the same behaviour. And on busy nights, I still get rubber banding from time to time as well.

The other thing that really bugs me is that they STILL need to reboot the servers every morning. I don't start work until 11, and usually wake up with my wife at 8.. that would be an excellent time to play, but the servers are always restarting. (They are as I write this as a matter of fact).

A revamp would be neat, just because, as I said, I like the whole concept of the game. It's just currently very poorly done, in this lowly users humble opinion.

Re: SWG2?
Nov 3, 2005, 08:23
Re: SWG2? Nov 3, 2005, 08:23
Nov 3, 2005, 08:23

If they can't get the game straight now, what might lead you to think that they can make the game right for SWG2?

Well personally I think there might be some benefit from a business point of view if they simply walk away from the product "brand" and start over as a completely new product. What they are proposing is a major shift in the game dynamic, which implies a totally new game. (Contrary to popular belief, new game does not have to equal new graphics.) I agree with most people here that LA may have a better chance if they market this as a new game, and give financial incentives to the players who have stuck around.

Personally I have only tried the 14 day trial of SWG. Downloaded it, installed it, played it for 1 hour, instantly hated it, uninstalled it, never saw it again. Having said that, if they are really going to go through this massive change I would be willing to give them another chance. My .02.

"You win again gravity!"-Zap Brannigan
This comment was edited on Nov 3, 08:23.
"Everybody out of the universe!" - Nibbler, Futurama

No subject
Nov 3, 2005, 05:15
No subject Nov 3, 2005, 05:15
Nov 3, 2005, 05:15

""Some of you are saying scrap the game and start developing SWG2? If they can't get the game straight now, what might lead you to think that they can make the game right for SWG2"

Which is why most of us have posted the wish for the current dev team to be taken out, shot (maybe even hung, drawn and quartered, not neccessarily in that order) and replaced with one which might actually have a clue as to what makes a game fun.

Re: Dayum, you know your game sucks when
Nov 3, 2005, 02:11
Re: Dayum, you know your game sucks when Nov 3, 2005, 02:11
Nov 3, 2005, 02:11

The hope I have for star Trek Online is that they're planning on making it FPS style. I've been waiting ages for some to make a good FPS style deep RPG. The closest we've ever had I think was Deus Ex. Bethesda is probably going to be making Fallout 3 in this style from what I've gathered from their quotes from a while back.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Re: Dayum, you know your game sucks when....
Nov 3, 2005, 01:44
Re: Dayum, you know your game sucks when.... Nov 3, 2005, 01:44
Nov 3, 2005, 01:44

and since there isn't another decent sci-fi MMOPRPG on the horizon

Not saying whether it will be any good or not, but Star Trek Online is in heavy development. Due out sometime in 2007 or so. So it's on the horizon, but it will probably suck as bad as SWG did.

Otoh, it just MIGHT be absolutely awesome.

Creston

Edit : Some of you are saying scrap the game and start developing SWG2? If they can't get the game straight now, what might lead you to think that they can make the game right for SWG2

Well, it's easier to start over from scratch than to try to fix a completely broken game, and have to replace it piecemeal. I agree that just leaving this one as is and working on SWG2 would be a far better idea than trying to yet again completely overhaul the current one.

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 01:47.

Re: What, AGAIN?
Nov 3, 2005, 01:05
Re: What, AGAIN? Nov 3, 2005, 01:05
Nov 3, 2005, 01:05

they need to revamp the crappy looking engine. ^^

What, AGAIN?
Nov 3, 2005, 00:43
What, AGAIN? Nov 3, 2005, 00:43
Nov 3, 2005, 00:43

This is what, the THIRD time they're revamping it? You'd think that after three years of fucking around with it, they'd have come up with SOMETHING that works?

Then again, this is SOE /Verant we're talking about. Creativity is not really their "thing". Such a fucking shame... This game should have been SO good

Creston

Re: SWG
Nov 2, 2005, 23:22
Re: SWG Nov 2, 2005, 23:22
Nov 2, 2005, 23:22

Yep, I'd just kill it and build a new and better one.

Why kill this and go to work building a new one guessing on what might work when you can keep this going and try out ideas to find out what will work?

Think of this as massive alpha testing for SWGII where people are paying to take part.

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 23:23.

SWG2?
Nov 2, 2005, 23:17
SWG2? Nov 2, 2005, 23:17
Nov 2, 2005, 23:17

Some of you are saying scrap the game and start developing SWG2? If they can't get the game straight now, what might lead you to think that they can make the game right for SWG2? New tech doesn't create a good game. It will be a rehash game with updated graphics with an incremented number tagged on. Hrm... I could have just said "an EA game" instead of typing all of that. I say if they can create an enjoyable game with what they have now that would be a great feat. Right now with all the bad feedback, I don't know who would want to give this SWG team another go at another MMO game. Let this be a testament that gameplay comes first.

Re: No subject
Nov 2, 2005, 22:56
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2005, 22:56
Nov 2, 2005, 22:56

You can't polish a turd.
If you polish a turd, it's still a turd.
You can put lipstick on a pig bug it's still a pig.

At least credit goes to them for trying instead of just dumping the game like a lot of other companies have. At least it's not abandonware. Kudos for that.
This comment was edited on Nov 2, 22:58.

No subject
Nov 2, 2005, 22:44
No subject Nov 2, 2005, 22:44
Nov 2, 2005, 22:44

Tei makes a good point. The producers readily admit its not what they had hoped it would be and are attempting something ballsy and radical. You gotta at least respect that.

Sony has made a lot of boneheaded decisions but the times I spent playing Planetside and EQ2 I found both dev teams went far out of their way to keep the game fresh. Also, not many publishers are going to bankroll major changes once a game goes live.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.anysoldier.com/index.cfm
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
Nov 2, 2005, 22:26
No subject Nov 2, 2005, 22:26
Nov 2, 2005, 22:26

The game is broke...2/3 years later they try to fix it...again. It's quite insane that they had one of the hottest properties on the planet and managed to screw it up so bad. Guess that's what happens when you don't think of the ingame player actions, the actual /game/, when designing a game.

I wish Arenanet and Blizzard would team up to make SWG2 Maybe let the Neocron dev's in on the deal too (although I've never played that...I really hate monthly fees, even for a game like Neocron which I'm actually interested in...I just can't stand it when I'm paying for something I might not be able to use that month due to real-life).

PS: Sepharo, I totally get what you mean. SWG should be about /you/ making it in the SW universe, with the SW universe as your sandbox...not a rehash of the SW films. It's why the successfull SW games were a succes; Dark forces, Jedi Outcast, X-wing et all put you in the universe to play in, and that was fun. The exception which proves the rule was SW LEGO

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 22:30.

Re: laff.
Nov 2, 2005, 22:10
Kxmode

Re: laff. Nov 2, 2005, 22:10
Nov 2, 2005, 22:10
 Kxmode

Just checked out D&D Online (yet another gay ass fantasy game). What's the deal? Is it a prerequisite of MMORPG development that you make the graphics as shitty looking as possible? This game looks no better than SWG does and SWG is a 2-3 years old now.

And yet you have games like "Second Life" and "A Tale in the Desert II" that can't get the light of day even though they are huge breathes of fresh air to the otherwise stagnate genre.

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

SWG Jedi vs KOTOR Jedi
Nov 2, 2005, 21:54
Kxmode

SWG Jedi vs KOTOR Jedi Nov 2, 2005, 21:54
Nov 2, 2005, 21:54
 Kxmode

I played SWG for 2.5 years. I cancelled my account months ago. Came back for about a month then permanently cancelled. I never cared about becoming a Jedi, but SOE seemed so hell-bent on making huge changes to the game to where you couldn't ignore becoming a Jedi. Once I tasted the "I want to become a Jedi" drink I became addicted. The revamped system still made things difficult and for a long time achieving even force sensitivity was tough. But my desire to become a Jedi was strong and so I grinded, and grinded, and grinded. Until one day a little game called Knights of the Old Republic came out. I bought the game, brought it home, and installed it on my PC. Played it and loved it! And more importantly it feed my craving to become a Jedi. I finished KOTOR and returned to SWG where the fun of grinding to become Jedi awaited with open arms. That's when I stopped the madness and cancelled my account. Meanwhile a little known game called World of Warcraft was "quietly" released and I am now enjoying myself. And with the expansion soon there will be even MORE stuff to enjoy! Life is fun again. Thank you Blizzard; thank you!

-----

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 21:57.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Wow...
Nov 2, 2005, 21:50
Wow... Nov 2, 2005, 21:50
Nov 2, 2005, 21:50

Such negativity...

I applaud the balls they must have to revamp a game like this. That said I played the game for a few months or so when it was released and I really enjoyed it. I'm not one to devote my life to a game so playing it for 2 months is really an accomplishment. I played WoW for 2 months [although it was 22 hours a day for those 2 months] so I don't hate on SWG at all. What this revamp is attempting to do is add "a heroic Star Wars experience" but my favorite part of the game WAS being insignificant. I liked that in SWG it took hard hard work to get things done and even when yuo did you were just a nameless alien in a sea of millions [or thousands]. This may strike some people as odd but I bought SWG not for the heroes but for the universe. I am not exactly a hardcore Star Wars nerd but as an example ask one what they're favorite character is... It probably won't be Luke, Darth Vader, or Yoda.

I don't want to be Thrall, Luke, Neo, or for that matter Mario. Leave that to the single player games. MMORPG's should be about hardwork and making YOUR own name for yourself.

Sorry I am rambling... don't take anything I have said at all as serious, in fact now that I look at it, it has very little to do with the article.

They suffer from DSS
Nov 2, 2005, 21:39
Kxmode

They suffer from DSS Nov 2, 2005, 21:39
Nov 2, 2005, 21:39
 Kxmode

SOE has a bad case of DSS (Derek Smart Syndrome). It doesn't matter how many coats of paint they splash on their game, or addons they create, or fancy new landscaping they create... the game itself is fundamentally flawed and boring!

-----

Re: laff.
Nov 2, 2005, 21:38
Re: laff. Nov 2, 2005, 21:38
Nov 2, 2005, 21:38

damn. I might be in a bad mood tonight... lol

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you."
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

laff.
Nov 2, 2005, 21:29
laff. Nov 2, 2005, 21:29
Nov 2, 2005, 21:29

Just checked out D&D Online (yet another gay ass fantasy game). What's the deal? Is it a prerequisite of MMORPG development that you make the graphics as shitty looking as possible? This game looks no better than SWG does and SWG is a 2-3 years old now.

I guess they figure the peter puffers who would play a game like that don't really know what good graphics are, so why bother. I mean if they are willing to choke down another Fantasy game, they will like anything.

How bout a WWII Fantasy alternate universe? What the hell eh? Lets pork the last drop out of those two abused subjects.

---
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Re: Dayum, you know your game sucks when....
Nov 2, 2005, 21:19
Re: Dayum, you know your game sucks when.... Nov 2, 2005, 21:19
Nov 2, 2005, 21:19

SWG is not that bad of a game. I did leave it because the 'adventure' dried up for me, but I loved the game world and the people. I tried friggin EQ2, and it sucked balls compared to SWG. What else is around for someone who wants to play a sci-fi MMORPG? Eve? Please. Matrix Online? Joke.

Point is, the game has plenty of room to grow, and since there isn't another decent sci-fi MMOPRPG on the horizon, why not give them a chance? At least they were smart enough to develop a sci-fi. Think of all the fuckin asshat developers out there creating another myriad of gay fantasy based games.

Don't listen to the Anti-SOE whiners around here. If you want to try SWG, it's cheap and it's fun. If you get yourself into the right content, it has lots of adventure in it, especially if you get into a cool guild. Sounds like they are dedicated to adding a lot more to the game as well.

---
--
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older