Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Delayed

The Elder Scrolls FAQ still lists Holidays 2005 as the release date for Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but Take-Two Interactive's Latest Financial Update (thanks Frans) indicates the release date for Bethesda Softworks' RPG sequel has slipped:
In addition to the factors mentioned above, the reduction in first quarter guidance also reflects the movement of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PC and Xbox 360 from the first quarter to the second quarter...
View : : :
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Ah, well...
Nov 2, 2005, 09:20
Ah, well... Nov 2, 2005, 09:20
Nov 2, 2005, 09:20

Nothing we PC gamers aren't use to. I am very much looking forward to playing this one. I was ready to overhaul my PC for this one. Now I'm very happy I held off some of my upgrades until its release. In a way they just saved me a few hundred dollars at the very least.

Or postponed the spending of it until Spring. Besides I have UFO:Aftershock and an unopened copy of CoD2 to get to yet.

This game...
Nov 1, 2005, 23:57
This game... Nov 1, 2005, 23:57
Nov 1, 2005, 23:57

I have just bought a new, very expensive PC more or less SOLELY for this game. Now imagine said PC doesn't run it well.

Meh
Nov 1, 2005, 23:46
Meh Nov 1, 2005, 23:46
Nov 1, 2005, 23:46

Who DIDN'T see this coming? I thought from the start that it was scheduled for somewhere in 2006, until people kept saying that it would be october 2005 or so. It always seemed very optimistic to me.

At least it will give them time to polish the game and make it excellent.
Also, it'd be great if they released in May or June of 2006, since there will be NOTHING else out at that time, and we can all play Oblivion for three months straight.

If it had come out next week I'd have had to skip it cause of X3.

Creston

Re: No subject
Nov 1, 2005, 18:50
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2005, 18:50
Nov 1, 2005, 18:50

Bethesda is great at doing a few things in each game that are so cool and revolutionary and just plain epic that it makes up for all the little (and sometimes big) bugs and design mistakes. No doubt it will be the same for this title. My real question is, is this getting pushed back because they want to polish, or because there are still massive bugs and missing content? I'm guessing the latter, polishing has never been a strong suit at this developer...

On WoW - Sixis - 60 Paladin of Azure Brigade (Garona)

No subject
Nov 1, 2005, 16:18
No subject Nov 1, 2005, 16:18
Nov 1, 2005, 16:18

Well, I can't say this delay is surprising. Bethesda makes huge games; huge games take long to make (and who knows what fun bugs a sophisticated AI system can come up with; I hope they have vids or at least one article filled with the best of the worst :)). I just wouldn't want to be a dev at Bethesda right now; the hours must be crippling.
What does surprise me is that the delay is for both xbox and pc...I would have expected MS to give Bethesda a boatload of cash to get a prior release for the xbox.

As for throwing weapons...who cares? Who ever really used throwing weapons in Morrowind? Appart from maybe once to see how they worked; ninja stars (even the ebony darts) were useless. Shame about the crossbows, but understandable.

What really bugged me about Morrowind was it's colour pallette; sure, it looked like 'one world'...but that world was a drab, uniform brown-ish colour. I hope the world's textures are a bit more varied this time 'round.

Re: A familiar feeling...
Nov 1, 2005, 14:26
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 14:26
Nov 1, 2005, 14:26

I'm confused, have you actually played the game? It sounds like you have. You say smaller...it's acutally bigger. Less content, while there are less quests, they are all much larger than the ones in morrowind and has the same estimated play time. Less content, thats an opinion. I feel the enhanced stealth aspects, fighting, and Raidient AI easily make up for there being less weapon variety in the game. I really don't see how it can be more limited, it has the same open freeform gameplay and character creation system that the others have.

I'm thinking that you don't really know much about the game, you like to cherry pick things about it and complain. A lot fo people are like that.

Anyway it could be you're right, but I doubt it. We'll find out when it hits the streets.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

Nov 1, 2005, 13:05
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 13:05
Nov 1, 2005, 13:05

I would hope not.

I am all for large, epic games...if Betheseda can keep up with it. But honestly, I do not think the company has. Morrowind was a better game, in my opinion, because it was tighter, tried to focus more on story, Betheseda could put more spend more time (love, attention, detail) with there being fewer things, etc.

Still, where do I think Morrowind failed? On the whole, things related to its size - shallow NPCs, poor pacing of the main quest, lifeless cities, barren world, generic elements, lackluster combat, etc.

Given Betheseda's limited capability (and I mean that in the "Can only do so much..." and not the "They lack the talent to..." sense,) I would rather see the company pull back the scope a bit and deliver a more polished, colorful, living world/game.

I like being able to do a ton of things, but it really does not matter as much if they are not used or have a purpose. It is ideological divide; do I value having many, numerous options more or having a purpose and having an experience?
To each their own, I guess.
Noting Betheseda does not seem to be able to hit the release date...,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Nov 1, 2005, 12:33
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 12:33
Nov 1, 2005, 12:33

I'm guessing that I'm the only one that notices that each Elder Scrolls game get more focused and is generally a better game than the one before, or I'm the only one that's old enough to remember anyway. Morrowind had all the same complaints from whiners/spazzes before it came out and it turned out fine.

Nah, it just sounds like you're one of the Beth fanboys who will take a turd sandwich from Beth and call it a hamburger.
"focused" is a neat way of saying "smaller, more limited, and less content".

------
Carpe Papilla
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

Nov 1, 2005, 12:03
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 12:03
Nov 1, 2005, 12:03

I'm guessing that I'm the only one that notices that each Elder Scrolls game get more focused and is generally a better game than the one before, or I'm the only one that's old enough to remember anyway. Morrowind had all the same complaints from whiners/spazzes before it came out and it turned out fine.

"We're not the same, I'm an American, you're a sick a--hole." - William 'D-Fens' Foster
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

straw-man
Nov 1, 2005, 11:15
straw-man Nov 1, 2005, 11:15
Nov 1, 2005, 11:15

Yeah, too bad they're removing stuff 'cause gosh, if there's ANYTHING Morrowind taught us, it's that there certainly WON'T be any new content added by the MOD community...

^M^

Nov 1, 2005, 10:15
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 10:15
Nov 1, 2005, 10:15

"IIRC, most of the things it is removing are things that were basically useless in Morrowind due to a lack of decent equipment (medium armor, throwing weapons),"

Meh, that was the response of a cornered PR flack. They tried to carefully leak each new missing weapon or skill from Morrowind over time, to lesson the impact. Not to mention they also changed the beast races and just tacked furry heads on top of human models this time. They took all types of shortcuts to try and make this a launch title, and apparently they have still fucked it up.

------
Carpe Papilla
------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

Re: Delay
Nov 1, 2005, 10:04
Fugazi

Re: Delay Nov 1, 2005, 10:04
Nov 1, 2005, 10:04
 Fugazi

No, it's http://www.khaaan.com/ !!

The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

Nov 1, 2005, 09:39
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 09:39
Nov 1, 2005, 09:39

IIRC, most of the things it is removing are things that were basically useless in Morrowind due to a lack of decent equipment (medium armor, throwing weapons), so don't give up hope yet. Plus, Morrowind was also available on the XBox, so any consolization has probably already happened.

Nov 1, 2005, 09:09
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 09:09
Nov 1, 2005, 09:09

dammit

Nov 1, 2005, 08:43
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 08:43
Nov 1, 2005, 08:43

Actually if anything XBOX improoved game porting. I'd much rather have a game ported from an XBOX then from a PS2 or Gamecube.
It's a PC running on Windows CE. From everything I have read it's very easy to port over to the PC, but the biggest gap there is 1 set pc standard (Xbox) and 15 million configurations for the PC.
And we should be thankful that it's still coming to the PC, as quite a few developers once they get Excellent sales from the console market abandon the PC Gamers. Example: Bioware with Jade Empire and their new 360 launch title, Deus Ex 2, Crimson Skies, Mechwarrior, and even Lucasarts. There are more but I'm just too damn tired to think of them.

Re: lol
Nov 1, 2005, 08:38
Re: lol Nov 1, 2005, 08:38
Nov 1, 2005, 08:38

The version that I played for Xbox 360 seemed to be the final build with no bugs, so I don't really know the cause for this delay.

I'd guess AI balancing / interaction issues, at least if it's as, um, 'fluid' as they say.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

Nov 1, 2005, 08:36
Re: A familiar feeling... Nov 1, 2005, 08:36
Nov 1, 2005, 08:36

It's delayed(rumor is that is Xbox related), and it's already missing weapons and skills that it's predecessors had. This is beginnign to smell more and more like Deus Ex 2.

I think this may end badly

Looks like we won't escape console dumbing-down even with the power of next-gen consoles. The Xbox ruins PC gaming more and more every day and it looks like the 360 won't be the end of it.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
www.pxa.ca
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Re: No subject
Nov 1, 2005, 07:36
nin
Re: No subject Nov 1, 2005, 07:36
Nov 1, 2005, 07:36
nin

Delay? And this is shocking how?

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

No subject
Nov 1, 2005, 07:02
No subject Nov 1, 2005, 07:02
Nov 1, 2005, 07:02

I don't know if this has slipped or what, but all i can say is the online GAME shop (for the UK) says it's the 25th of November release date. I trust that. So far every release date has been correct for a game, and it's just so nice getting a pre-ordered game the day before release.

But then again i'll check back there on the 24th cos chances are they haven't updated it yet

No subject
Nov 1, 2005, 05:13
No subject Nov 1, 2005, 05:13
Nov 1, 2005, 05:13
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older