WoW: The Burning Crusade Announced

The World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Website is online, as is the official announcement of this first expansion for World of Warcraft, Blizzard's MMORPG. The add-on will include two new races, a new continent, and loads of other new content, along with a raise in the experience cap to level 70. There are previews of the expansion on 1UP, GameSpot, GameSpy, GameSpy (again), and IGN, and impressions from BlizzCon on Atomicmpc and a gameplay movie can be found on 3D Gamers, 4players.de, Filecloud, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, Playfuls, World of Warcraft Guru, and Worthplaying. Here's a bit from the announcement:
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade takes up where World of Warcraft left off, with the races of the Horde and the Alliance continuing to rebuild their lives among the shattered lands of Azeroth. Amid the fragile peace that exists between the factions come rumors that the Burning Legion’s age-old war against Azeroth – the so-called Burning Crusade – has been rekindled and threatens to consume the world in another firestorm of war and strife. Old allegiances fall and new ones rise as both the Horde and Alliance look to new friends in this time of need.
View : : :
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Where's the StarCraft Love
Dec 19, 2005, 06:26
IQ
Re: Where's the StarCraft Love Dec 19, 2005, 06:26
Dec 19, 2005, 06:26
IQ

Quite agree. We need more Starcraft - real Starcraft, not some lame first person shooter. Just make it another RTS but increase the size - instead of 200 unit cap, have a 20000 unit cap! There is a challenge for you right there.

Where's the StarCraft Love
Nov 3, 2005, 14:05
Where's the StarCraft Love Nov 3, 2005, 14:05
Nov 3, 2005, 14:05

Other than "Ghost" where are the StarCraft titles. I realize this is just an expansion but still.

They need another StarCraft game, one that holds true to the original. I'm not saying we need an MMORPG, but perhaps another RTS or something else.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Re: No subject
Oct 30, 2005, 03:14
Re: No subject Oct 30, 2005, 03:14
Oct 30, 2005, 03:14

From what it looks like and the commentary in the trailer, Alot takes place during what I am guessing is the same time period as (best guesstimate) would have been Warcraft Adventures. Before Thrall became a warchief etc.

No subject
Oct 29, 2005, 18:53
f13
No subject Oct 29, 2005, 18:53
Oct 29, 2005, 18:53
f13

they should just finish the warcraft adventure game!

No subject
Oct 29, 2005, 14:27
No subject Oct 29, 2005, 14:27
Oct 29, 2005, 14:27

The money-machine rolls on, and nerds everywhere become slightly more pasty-faced and anti-social.

Who do you think the people making these games are? They are merely successful antisocial, pasty-faced nerds. Successful because they get paid for it, yet they still spend 12 hours a day in front of the computer.

i miss this game,
Oct 29, 2005, 13:59
i miss this game, Oct 29, 2005, 13:59
Oct 29, 2005, 13:59

but it had to many elements akin to work and not gameing.

Re: WAR CRAP
Oct 29, 2005, 13:37
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 13:37
Oct 29, 2005, 13:37

Sixis-
As for complaining about both slow releases and bugs, it's one thing to take a long time to make a game (which I'm fine with) and another to announce a release date and miss it by a year or more.

It's my recollection that WoW hit it's release date dead on... no? Like I said in my post, it was rumoured to be released at some point in 2005, then Blizzard announced that it was coming out in Nov. 2004... and they hit that date.

Oct 29, 2005, 10:11
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 10:11
Oct 29, 2005, 10:11

"I just pray to god Night Elf... er Blood Elf Males don't have the MJ Dance."

At Blizcon the BE Males dance like Travolta in Pulp Fiction and the BE Females dance similarly but with some sexy moves thrown in. The NE Male dance still scares me...

"All Horde Cities have 2 ways to get into them, one 'Front Gate' and a side entrance, but both are incredible insecure even after the City Guards Buff."

I've never understood this imbalance either. Ironforge and Stormwind are basically impenetrable (it can be done but it takes a ton of work) and all the Alliance racial leaders are really really tough cookies. Has anyone downed Jiana Proudmore yet? But for horde, Tauren Bluff and Cairne are practically farmable with 10-20 skilled alliance attackers, Sylvannas is easy to get to but a tougher fight. Thrall is harder to get to and fights well, but not nearly as well as I think he should. They need to really improve the handling of the racial leader raids, if they dropped epics it would really improve non-BG PvP on PvE servers. The honor bonus for any of them is really trivial and not enough to convince people to go after them.

On WoW - Sixis - 60 Paladin of Azure Brigade (Garona)

Re:
Oct 29, 2005, 09:18
Re: Oct 29, 2005, 09:18
Oct 29, 2005, 09:18

Enjoy your spyware, WoW fans!

roll for initiative, nyuck-nyuck glaven
Oct 29, 2005, 08:55
roll for initiative, nyuck-nyuck glaven Oct 29, 2005, 08:55
Oct 29, 2005, 08:55

The money-machine rolls on, and nerds everywhere become slightly more pasty-faced and anti-social.

^m^

Oct 29, 2005, 08:29
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 08:29
Oct 29, 2005, 08:29

Yeah if I remember correctly, during the Beta Druids could turn into birds and fly but it created alot of issues especially with players going places they should be aka unfinished content.

Oct 29, 2005, 08:06
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 08:06
Oct 29, 2005, 08:06

As for the 'flying' mounts... Don't get those hopes too high... Most likely it'll be a change in animations and no real flight... or restriction in some other way... otherwise all those false boundaries (steep cliffs) won't work no more, and the battlegrounds will change (though flying mounts might be 61+ or some shit).

Flying mounts are only usable in the Outlands due to the nature of the terrain there (can't reach some places without flying), and not in any of the old zones.

Oct 29, 2005, 08:02
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 08:02
Oct 29, 2005, 08:02

Well the Horde really does need some Content lovin from Blizzard. Especially in the way of decent guards at places like The Crossroads in the Barrens. All Horde Cities have 2 ways to get into them, one 'Front Gate' and a side entrance, but both are incredible insecure even after the City Guards Buff. If Paladins get their own special mount, why can't Shaman's have some sort of Spirit Mount, and why not give Cows (taurens) the ability to travel faster while they are dead like Night Elfs.

I just pray to god Night Elf... er Blood Elf Males don't have the MJ Dance.

Oct 29, 2005, 07:47
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 07:47
Oct 29, 2005, 07:47

Definitely Hottie Balancing with the Blood Elves. Naga would have been much more interesting...betting Panderans for the Alliance. Or maybe just straight up teddy bears.

Oct 29, 2005, 07:44
Flo

Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 07:44
Oct 29, 2005, 07:44
 Flo

Please stop this MMORPG insanity....please...
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Oct 29, 2005, 07:39
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 07:39
Oct 29, 2005, 07:39

"Sixis there are 2 new Races. All that has been said is that the Blood Elves have turned away from old alliances and on their quest for power are set on a collision course with the Horde (according to the trailer that has been released). It will be interesting to see what the other race is, my guess would be the Panderans."

Read the rest of Blizzard's of announcement, not just the trailer. Blood Elves are Horde. My guild has 2 people at Blizcon, they're playing in the BE starting area. Obviously the BE faction is quite clear now.

As for complaining about both slow releases and bugs, it's one thing to take a long time to make a game (which I'm fine with) and another to announce a release date and miss it by a year or more. Especially with a MMORPG where people plan out their character progression months in advance. I already know many people who are going to stop playing WoW until the expansion now because they don't want to lose the experience from doing quests at the current level cap. Of course, there is no release date yet, and those who are thinking this winter or spring are hanging themselves. I just expect Bliz to announce for Spring 2006 soon and probably not make it until Christmas 2006.

All the stops rational fans from becoming stupid fanboys is expecting game makers to do better on every front, from release dates to bug-quashing to balance. And Bliz could use improvement on all those fronts.

Edit: From the Expansion's FAQ at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/faq.html

"Q: What are the new races? When will you reveal all of them?
A: The first new race that we have announced for the expansion set is the Blood Elf race. No longer trusted by the Alliance, these former High Elves have joined the Horde to hunt down the demons that destroyed their homeland of Quel'Thalas. We plan to unveil details about possible additional races at a later date."

On WoW - Sixis - 60 Paladin of Azure Brigade (Garona)

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 07:43.

Oct 29, 2005, 07:06
Re: WAR CRAP Oct 29, 2005, 07:06
Oct 29, 2005, 07:06

Sixis there are 2 new Races. All that has been said is that the Blood Elves have turned away from old alliances and on their quest for power are set on a collision course with the Horde (according to the trailer that has been released). It will be interesting to see what the other race is, my guess would be the Panderans.

Also alot of the 'New' content for the expansion is already in the game. Example the Great Tree has already been found and explored and The Cavern of Time, although it was missing textures so it looked like you were walking around in outer space.

But what will really be interesting to me at least is the 'Windows in Time' and go to all the places that are currently destroyed or run down like Tarren Mills.
Which makes me wonder if they will return UC back to how was before Warcraft 3 during one of these 'Windows'.

Oct 29, 2005, 06:13
... Oct 29, 2005, 06:13
Oct 29, 2005, 06:13

WoW ruined Warcraft.

Nah, I'd say Warcraft II ruined Warcraft - the original what fresh, innovative and epic, whilst the sequel reduced unit counts and went for more cartoony graphics. I also thought Warcraft 3 was a disappointment but many other people seem to love it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Released Date = When Done = Sweet Words
Oct 29, 2005, 05:56
Released Date = When Done = Sweet Words Oct 29, 2005, 05:56
Oct 29, 2005, 05:56

Sixis -

2. This is Bliz we are talking about, who must be in the same satanic cult as id, 3DRealms, and Valve. They cannot release a product on time. They cannot even release a product within a year of on time. So I don't expect to see the expansion pack until Christmas 2006. Would love to proved wrong.

Um.... WoW was like a year ahead of schedule... It was rumoured to be a 2005 title, but they pulled in the release date a great deal to beat/match the launch date of EverQuest 2 in November of 2004.

If you ever complain about a game company releasing a game too soon because it's incomplete or buggy, you should be shot on the spot for the fact that you are just simply complaining for the sake of complaining. The companies you mentioned in your post (sauf 3d Realms), should be lauded for the fact that they both posses the ability (read big bank accounts) and the conviction to never release a product until they feel that it is ready for prime time.

id, Valve & Blizzard should all be lauded for not listening to the whiney gamer masses (not to mention their publishers) when they demand a game be released.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 06:14.

They needed to make some Horde pretty
Oct 29, 2005, 05:52
They needed to make some Horde pretty Oct 29, 2005, 05:52
Oct 29, 2005, 05:52

asrof -
Horde elves? What a joke. I can't believe Blizz did this, just to try and make the horde more "pretty" HELLO, IT'S THE HORDE! Horde's aren't PRETTY.

In important markets like Korea, almost everyone plays the Alliance as the beauty of the characters is VERY important to the gamers there. I don't have the exact stats, but the %'s are skewed in the Alliance's favour by a large margin.

Even here in North America, a secondary market for Blizzard, the % of players playing in the Allaince is significantly higher than the horde, though not as badly as it is skewed in Korea.

This presents unique challenges to Blizzard, ultimately making it far more difficult to have PvP and make the battlegrounds work.

I can compeletely undertand why Blizzard wants to pretty up the horde.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 06:13.
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older