Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

etc.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Random thoughts Oct 27, 2005, 12:41 mystery8

Note to publishers/developers: This whole Christmas rush thing is completely idiotic. Just a few months back I had absolutely nothing to play, but there are a ton of games I am interested in that are all aiming for the Christmas shopping period. As it stands, I will be purchasing something like six games in a two month period - the "winners" I have picked out of the massive swarm of some fourteen games I am interested in.

Well said. I'll probably end up getting 1 game at most, and waiting for the post-Christmas falloff in prices/sales.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Random thoughts Oct 26, 2005, 21:34 Ray Marden

• As ever, the video game award shows are (a) clueless, (b) based entirely around whichever company spends the most bribing supporting them, or (c) a combination therein.

• Note to publishers/developers: This whole Christmas rush thing is completely idiotic. Just a few months back I had absolutely nothing to play, but there are a ton of games I am interested in that are all aiming for the Christmas shopping period. As it stands, I will be purchasing something like six games in a two month period - the "winners" I have picked out of the massive swarm of some fourteen games I am interested in.

• Nice one. Idiots.
    Thinking $30 games are great things, too,
    Ray

-----
    http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
    I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://www.kindafunny.com/
    I love you, mom.

15. Re: Logo's before game loads Oct 26, 2005, 19:14 Semantics

I'm just glad they handle having the movies deleted so gracefully. If they really wanted to, they could make it so the games just dump you to the desk top if you don't have the right movies in place.

14. Logo's before game loads Oct 26, 2005, 19:00 Tumbler

Seems like all games have more logos in the beginning now, it really is annoying.

I try and delete those logo movies whenever possible, Dawn of War and BF2 are 2 games that after deleting all the intro crap were so much nicer to load up. Gotta fix fear that way too...

Where is my Xbox 360!?!

13. Re: Warner Bros. Reorganizes, Creates N Oct 26, 2005, 18:28 Riley Pizt

Regading "Warner Bros. Reorganizes, Creates New Unit", that's great! Now there will be another animated corporate logo to play at the start of Warner Brothers games and videos. Hell F.E.A.R. only has four logos that play every time it runs. It needs a fifth.

12. Re: Bleh Oct 26, 2005, 18:11 Awesome Spume

It was kxmode said about the instanced dungeons. The Spike blurb doesn't mention it - I checked.

AC didn't have instances.

11. Re: Bleh Oct 26, 2005, 16:53 Zathrus

As Fion notes, AO had instanced dungeons. They may've been first, unless Asheron's Call did.

EQ, SWG, DAoC, all had instanced dungeons before WoW was released.

More proof that Spike TV doesn't have a clue.

10. Re: Bleh Oct 26, 2005, 16:43 Fion

Anarchy Online had instanced dungeons 5 years before WoW. :p

"It was release November 2004. As a MMORPG it has single-handedly dominated the domestic market and most of the European market through-out 2005"

You forgot to mention that it's chock full of d00ds and sucks ontop of that :p

That and it's not done nearly as well in the west as it is doing in the east where it can inflate it's numbers just the way Lineage 1/2 has. It's still highly successful here, but thats mostly because of the blizzard fanboi kiddies.

As to 50 Cent, he was probably raised in the suburbs and has never had a gun pointed his way in his life. Most rapper types tend to hugely inflate their 'past' and so called achievements. (If you can call growing up poor and on the streets and being shot 12 times an ancievement. In my expertise we call those people pathetic junkies and the lowest scum around...)
    This comment was edited on Oct 26, 16:48.

9. Re: Bleh Oct 26, 2005, 15:47 Semantics

I'm pretty sure City of Heroes had instance dungeons before WoW...

8. No subject Oct 26, 2005, 14:55 Kxmode

Is it just me or does anyone find 50 Cent's "Bulletproof" persona retarded. The man got shot like 12 times. He's not exactly bulletproof! And this: "An orphaned street kid (50 Cent) makes his mark in the drug trade, but finally dares to leave the violence of his former life behind to pursue a promising career in the music business as a rapper." Dude how much regurgitate clichéd tripe can Hollywood pump out. Someone please pop a cap in Hollywood's ass! Please. And they wonder why they're loosing money every year...

-----
    latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
    more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

7. Re: Bleh Oct 26, 2005, 14:49 Kxmode

I thought WoW was released in 2004

It was release November 2004. As a MMORPG it has single-handedly dominated the domestic market and most of the European market through-out 2005. It has reach membership levels unheard of for the American/European subscription model. The bulk of its life and growth has been during 2005. Gaming sites, magazines, and gamers uniformly praise WOW for pushing the MMORPG boundaries and introducing new concepts such as "instance dungeons" and "epic battlegrounds". Basically when the dust settles WOW is the game of the year for 2005. And this is coming from someone who canceled his account over 4 months ago for lack of end-game content and boredom. Even I'm acknowledging WOW dominance.

Looking at the nominations though, many just came out or are based on films that haven't been released yet. This makes me suspicious. Case in point...

BEST ACTION GAME: Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie, 50 Cent: Bulletproof (what?).

BEST INDIVIDUAL SPORTS GAME: Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (just released)

BEST GAME BASED ON A MOVIE: Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie, The Warriors, The Matrix: Path of Neo

CYBER VIXEN OF THE YEAR: Charlize Theron as Aeon Flux in Aeon Flux

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN -- MALE: 50 Cent in 50 Cent: Bulletproof, Jack Black in Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie

BEST PERFORMANCE BY A HUMAN -- FEMALE: Charlize Theron in Aeon Flux, Naomi Watts in Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie

The Awards show is air on December 11th. This is same time most of the "nominations" films are released! It's so transparently corporate!

-----
    latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
    more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

6. Spike VG Awards Oct 26, 2005, 14:38 ZigZang

What a sad waste of time and energy. When is the interactive entertainment industry going to start promoting it's own talent and personalities in a show dedicated to the real people who make, design and enjoy games? The arguments that "noone wants to watch a bunch of geeks at an award show" or "that's where the money is" is a self-fulfilling, short-term, defeatest attitude. It baffles me why the gaming industry doesnt' want to take ownership of their property and develop it into a living breathing entity seperate and different and more important than anything hollywood has to offer. Its all about the attitude and right now gaming is content to be the red-haired ugly step-child to the movie and music industries.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 14:39.

ZigZang

5. Re: Bleh Oct 26, 2005, 13:29 ExcessDan

i thought WoW was released in 2004

Mayor Dan
    ------------
    http://www.last.fm/user/danorama/

ExcessDan

4. Bleh Oct 26, 2005, 12:17 mystery8

Spike TV's "Video Games" Award show sucked last year and I won't even bother with it this year. It was just an excuse to have a bunch of hip-hop/rappers on TV and looks about the same this year. And then they toss in a few console games with maybe a PC Game or two and call it an Awards show.

Blue's is too good to be nominated. To have it mentioned on such a crappy show would probably be a disservice.

3. Re: Oct 26, 2005, 12:00 Fion

I know, just like several games announced in various catagories aren't do out for 4 months or even more!

That and 50 Cent best performance by a male? Are they completely out of their mind? I've not seen worse acting since Vin Diesel!

Ones I'd agree on:

Sony PSP - quite amazing. PS1.5 tech in such a small compact hand held.

Xbox 360 - hello? Games being raved about for the Xbox 360 are already out on PC and look just as good if not better! (Quake 4 for example). For consoles this is a huge leap, but against a mid-high end PC, the Xbox 360 is ho-hum at best.

Nintendogs Voice Recongition is no better then the stuff I've been using here and there for years on my PC.

Unreal Engine 3 has no game out yet and the 'demo's I've seen run at about 10fps on the Xbox 360. Garentee any FPS that comes out using it will be slow paced and played at a 70% field of view, just to squeak out those last few framerates. That and I've not seen a screenshot of anything using the Unreal Engine 2 (which isn't out for a full 8 months or so) that isn't equalled by the Doom 3 engine. Sure I've seen it do better, but not in a game that actually runs worth a damn :p

Facial Mo-Cap NBA Live 06? I've not seen it yet but it's probably pretty cool. Granted it's easy to create high poly ball players when they are the only high poly characters in the entire scene. It's just like how good Half-Life 2 models look when you see them just by themselves or with little background lol. It's all about tricking the user into thinking he sees more then is there. Trust me I have been modeling and mapping since the original Doom.

Ah well, most of these 'game award' things are bogus anyway because they are put on by people who don't play them half the time. That and they are voted on by people who couldn't tell what a good game was if they shit it out themselves. People like the freakshows from G4 (all accept the two guys from Judgement Day. While the show sucks, these two are funny as hell to watch. And both solid reviewers IMHO.)

Ah G4.. the MTV of the gaming world.
    This comment was edited on Oct 26, 12:04.

2. "Game Awards" Oct 26, 2005, 10:43 Retired

BEST BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGY
    Sony PSP (Sony Computer Entertainment America)
    Xbox 360 (Microsoft Game Studios)
    Nintendogs Voice Recognition (Nintendo Co. Ltd.)
    Unreal Engine 3 (Epic Games Inc.)
    Facial Mo-cap NBA Live 06 (Electronic Arts)

Not to be picky or anything, but shouldn't there be technology the end gamer has ACTUALLY USED before it can be nominated? It would be like winning an award based on hearsay. (xbox)

Same goes for other categories, maybe there should be games people have actually had a chance to play!

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?

1. No subject Oct 26, 2005, 10:20 Retired

GameStop sees Q3 quagmire...

Giggity giggity giggity!

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo