Half-Life 2 Lost Coast Next Week

A new Steam Update (thanks Frans) has word that the Lost Coast level that shows off Valve's HDR technology is due next week, and a bit on what the future holds after that:
Our current plan is to release Half-Life 2: Lost Coast next week. Lost Coast is a free level for everyone who owns Half-Life 2, and serves as an HDR technology demo based in an unreleased section of the "Highway 17" chapter of Half-Life 2.

After Lost Coast is released, we'll be working on getting some new content for both Counter-Strike: Source and Day of Defeat: Source, along with an update to the SDK, out the door. More info coming on that next week.
View : : :
103 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

It's Out
Oct 27, 2005, 19:17
It's Out Oct 27, 2005, 19:17
Oct 27, 2005, 19:17

Lost Coast has been released.

Oct 25, 2005, 08:13
... Oct 25, 2005, 08:13
Oct 25, 2005, 08:13

The best situation would be that when a game is complete and downloadable, it would also be playable immediately upon completion of the download.

At which point nobody would be able to play it because the servers would be too busy. The point of preloading is to release static content, whilst allowing them to work on dynamic content and fix bugs until they are finished, at which point they push it out. It's not as if the game is finished, sealed, put in a box and they just wait... they would most likely work until it is complete, they just allow you to download 3/4 of it before completition.

Valve should not have made those customers wait the extra week because the downloaded game sitting on their hard drives was complete. So, Valve's release date and time were arbitrary and NOT simply whenever the files were actually complete and made available. Valve certainly COULD have changed the activation/unlock date to be one week less.

Yes, but that is complete guesswork. How do we know it didn't change from preloading to release? For all your guesswork there is the opposite train of thought... the game is finished, put in testing for the week (while it is precaching) and then activated at the end - any remaining bugs are then fixed before launch without anyone ever knowing about them. Or they need that week to hire more servers to cope with demand (something they've done in the past).

The point is that you look at everything by Valve negatively... others prefer to look at things logically. Precaching makes sense, I don't understand why you can't see that. Even if you think Valve's implementation is bullshit (which it might be... I do not know the inner workings of Valve) and it just a delaying tactic you have got to concede that precaching in itself is a good thing. Also, it just not logical for Valve to delay games for absolutely no reason.

I'm not pretending Valve is perfect; they're not. They lied to the public about the original launch date when there was no way they could meet the deadline. They keep misleading people about Team Fortress 2 and release dates. They released CS:Source with barely any maps and as a shadow of the original game. However, I really don't think they're out for fuck us over.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Re: @Riley
Oct 24, 2005, 18:51
Re: @Riley Oct 24, 2005, 18:51
Oct 24, 2005, 18:51

I would also volunteer to give Gabe a big crowbar and hold Riley as Gabe smashes his face in while he rants about 'renting' HL2 and how pre-loading is evil.

It's "bought rented" not 'rented'. Sheesh, get your trolling right

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 18:51.

Oct 24, 2005, 17:57
Re: @Riley Oct 24, 2005, 17:57
Oct 24, 2005, 17:57

Let's all get together and buy Riley a ticket to Bellevue, WA, so he can have a private rank session at Gabe Newell.

I would volunteer to video the exchange. I would also volunteer to give Gabe a big crowbar and hold Riley as Gabe smashes his face in while he rants about 'renting' HL2 and how pre-loading is evil.

Oct 24, 2005, 16:31
nin
Re: @Riley Oct 24, 2005, 16:31
Oct 24, 2005, 16:31
nin

What we don't do is start a one man war against the firm that brought it to us.

And his "war" has done nothing...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

Oct 24, 2005, 15:45
Re: @Riley Oct 24, 2005, 15:45
Oct 24, 2005, 15:45

The only people that are unhappy, apparently, are people like Riley who won't play the game anyway. Everyone else recognises release dates are part and parcel of the media industry, and are no different from movies, books or music. We wait patiently, and hope to enjoy it when it arrives. Even if it sucks, we sigh at the £30 we could have spent on something else. What we don't do is start a one man war against the firm that brought it to us.

That's what rational people do, anyway.

@Riley
Oct 24, 2005, 11:27
@Riley Oct 24, 2005, 11:27
Oct 24, 2005, 11:27

@Riley:
RE:Preloads

The bottom line is that preloading of a completed game is simply semantic nonsense so it's no surprise that you don't understand why that is.

It seems to work pretty well, when ppl can't play their shiny new toy the day it's released they get upset, people who are upset post on steam message boards. That leads to bad press from news sites covering the whole event.

So if you allow ppl to download this content over a week or so and then finally make the game playable after that you don't have that initial surge of complaints and people are generally going to be happier.

The fact that the game may be fully playable and Valve is just sitting on it is irrelevant, it's their call. Much as I dislike valve: Their house, their rulez.

Where is my Xbox 360!?!

Re: ...
Oct 24, 2005, 11:16
Re: ... Oct 24, 2005, 11:16
Oct 24, 2005, 11:16

My god you are stupid. Valve has repeated demonstrated that its release date and times for games on Steam are AFTER (That's "after" as in "occuring later.") the completed files have been made available for download (which it calls "preloading"). Rag Doll Kung Fu was the latest such example. The game was complete and made available for "preloading" a week before Valve allowed the people who downloaded it to actually play it. Valve should not have made those customers wait the extra week because the downloaded game sitting on their hard drives was complete. So, Valve's release date and time were arbitrary and NOT simply whenever the files were actually complete and made available. Valve certainly COULD have changed the activation/unlock date to be one week less.

That is how their system works, the Wicked-Madmen at Valve have issued a release date, just like everything has a release date: movies, DVDs, theater, road\building construction, hell even demos release online “going live at X:XX”. Stop using the pretense of picking individual features of Steam to bloviate on the evils of the system, which is what you truly dislike, admitted, in a hippy-dippy way, here:

Preloading makes sense only because Valve's release policy makes no sense. Preloading is simply making the best of a bad situation. The best situation would be that when a game is complete and downloadable, it would also be playable immediately upon completion of the download.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 11:17.

Oct 23, 2005, 22:52
Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 22:52
Oct 23, 2005, 22:52

Damn I might just have to play through HL2 again when this comes out... now why don't they hurry up and release Aftermath????

Oct 23, 2005, 19:22
Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 19:22
Oct 23, 2005, 19:22

Rag Doll Kung Fu was still running the beta version until it was unlocked; which is why it unlocked to 99% for me and I downloaded the last bits of the final version.

Your looking at things all wrong. The "release date" is usually a combination of the estimated gone gold date and the date Valve will have everything ready for (ie; purchasing extra bandwidth, battening down the hatches). Prior to this, the game isn't officially finished.

Also, the copy of Rag Doll Kung Fu that got distributed was actually a review copy as far as I know, and wasn't taken from the GCF. Places like Gamespy and Halflife2.net got it to try it out early, and somebody leaked it.

Also, you somehow seem to think that if it's a preload, everyone is going to download it at the same time. That's pretty much a false assumption. They'll be the initial rush and then after things calm down theres a whole week when you can download it at your leisure.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 19:22.

Oct 23, 2005, 16:50
Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 16:50
Oct 23, 2005, 16:50

You don't preload. I do. Which one of us is playing the game first? Yes, that would be me.
As I wrote below, preloading only makes sense because Valve's release policy makes no sense. If a file is complete and ready for use, Valve should just make it available for download and allow people to use it immediately. Instead what it does (if the game is complete) is call the download a "preload" and then make everyone wait until it decides they can use the file they have downloaded.

it would take a lot longer to dl, especially if the servers were congested.
If the servers are congested because demand is high, they will be congested regardless of whether you call the download a "preload" or something else.

If you aren't aware of factors such as advertisement
You can certainly advertise and continue to advertise a game without making your customers wait to play the complete game sitting on their hard drives while you do it.

the reality is, there is a release date, and a release time. Those factors are not going to change.
My god you are stupid. Valve has repeated demonstrated that its release date and times for games on Steam are AFTER (That's "after" as in "occuring later.") the completed files have been made available for download (which it calls "preloading"). Rag Doll Kung Fu was the latest such example. The game was complete and made available for "preloading" a week before Valve allowed the people who downloaded it to actually play it. Valve should not have made those customers wait the extra week because the downloaded game sitting on their hard drives was complete. So, Valve's release date and time were arbitrary and NOT simply whenever the files were actually complete and made available. Valve certainly COULD have changed the activation/unlock date to be one week less.

As long as that's the reality, then preloading is a useful tool to both decrease overall server load, and increase the speed that the end user can obtain the product.
It doesn't decrease load or increase speed because the same people who want to download the files will download the files when they are made available regardless of whether you call it "preloading" or not.

The bottom line is that preloading of a completed game is simply semantic nonsense so it's no surprise that you don't understand why that is.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 17:30.

Oct 23, 2005, 16:25
Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 16:25
Oct 23, 2005, 16:25

I don't need to know the exact size of Lost Coast to know that preloading it would be pointless.

Let's just assume both of us were actually going to get the Lost Coast. I know neither of us are, but that's beside the point.

You don't preload. I do. Which one of us is playing the game first? Yes, that would be me.

Now, if the dl were something like 1mb, and you could dl it in a minute or less, than yes, preloading would be somewhat pointless, as being able to play it a minute faster would be useless. But if it was 150mb, then it would take a lot longer to dl, especially if the servers were congested. So I could be playing it for a lot longer period while you were still waiting to download.

So no, it's not "pointless".

My point is that once the level is complete and playable, there is no reason for Valve to withold making the download playable as it did with previous preloads like Half-Life 2 and even Rag Dool Kung Fu.

Then your argument is just one of idiocy. If you aren't aware of factors such as advertisement, corporate release policy and such, then you don't have enough intelligence to be debating the issue with the rest of us.

Anyone with many WORKING braincells can see that the two are actually the same. It's just a semantic difference.

Dude, get a fucking clue. This is the third time now you've tried to throw off words when you obviously have no idea wtf you are talking about. Semantic difference? You're suggesting that it's merely a difference in word meaning?

Idiot.

The file is complete at the same time in both cases, but in the "preload" instance you are making the customer wait to use it until your supposed "release" time if he has already downloaded the file before the official release time has passed.

Which is exactly the point, as already stated. No matter what stupid notion you have bumping around in your feeble little brain, the reality is, there is a release date, and a release time. Those factors are not going to change. As long as that's the reality, then preloading is a useful tool to both decrease overall server load, and increase the speed that the end user can obtain the product. None of your demented ramblings have altered those facts in any way.

Re: Pre loading?
Oct 23, 2005, 16:03
Re: Pre loading? Oct 23, 2005, 16:03
Oct 23, 2005, 16:03

You are missing the point, you have to wait that week no matter what because that is when Valve is releasing Lost Coast
You are missing my point that Valve should not be waiting that week. With a normal game or demo download, the file is made available and is playable immediately upon completion of the download. There is no "wait until the developer says that you can use the file" period of a week or anything else.

Yes it is, it is the exact same damn thing, they set the release date they, say when you can play it. I think your argument is against Steam (which I don’t like) in general not pre-loading (which makes perfect sense).
Preloading makes sense only because Valve's release policy makes no sense. Preloading is simply making the best of a bad situation. The best situation would be that when a game is complete and downloadable, it would also be playable immediately upon completion of the download.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 17:00.

Oct 23, 2005, 15:56
Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 15:56
Oct 23, 2005, 15:56

Yes, you must be right... Valve must use preloading to make their lives more difficult, fuck over the user and consume more bandwidth.
Valve mainly does "preloading" as a PR stunt to make its obsequious fans think that its products are ready to play sooner than they actually are.

Idiot.
While I am neither, I would rather be just an idiot than an idiot and a Valve lackey like you.

Oct 23, 2005, 15:51
Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 15:51
Oct 23, 2005, 15:51

It's nice to see that Valve has let you personally know how large the download would be. Care to share it with the rest of us?
It's not nice to see that you still make rash assumptions about the meaning of my posts. I don't need to know the exact size of Lost Coast to know that preloading it would be pointless.

As for your analogies, you seem to be missing out on a basic fundamental. You're making the assumption that the level is available to release at any time.
You definitely need to read my posts on the subject again and think about them a little harder. I do NOT assume anything like that at all.

So from a "playing the level" (or game) perspective, there is no way to play it before that.
Nor do I or did I dispute that. My point is that once the level is complete and playable, there is no reason for Valve to withold making the download playable as it did with previous preloads like Half-Life 2 and even Rag Dool Kung Fu. From what I have read online, Rag Doll Kung Fu was technically playable immediately from its supposed preload even though Valve waited a week to unlock the game.

So using the '6 hour dl' from the previous example, you've got an option - take 6 hours before the level is scheduled to be released so that that release time you can play (relatively) immediately, or take the 6 hours at release time. Anyone with a braincell can see that the former is preferable.
LOL! Anyone with many WORKING braincells can see that the two are actually the same. It's just a semantic difference. The file is complete at the same time in both cases, but in the "preload" instance you are making the customer wait to use it until your supposed "release" time if he has already downloaded the file before the official release time has passed.

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 16:09.

Oct 23, 2005, 11:27
... Oct 23, 2005, 11:27
Oct 23, 2005, 11:27

"In Valve we trust." I bet you have that tatooed on your ass.

Yes, you must be right... Valve must use preloading to make their lives more difficult, fuck over the user and consume more bandwidth. Idiot.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Oct 23, 2005, 11:24
Re: Pre loading? Oct 23, 2005, 11:24
Oct 23, 2005, 11:24

I think your argument is against Steam (which I don’t like) in general not pre-loading (which makes perfect sense).

I think his problem is that, since he believes Steam is evil, there's no way that Steam can actually do something useful.

Where a rational person would argue that the flaws of Steam outweight the benefits (without attempting to suggest there are no benefits).

Oct 23, 2005, 11:11
Re: Pre loading? Oct 23, 2005, 11:11
Oct 23, 2005, 11:11

If the game takes six hours to download, it takes 6 hours. Whether I am pissed or not about those six hours is irrelevant. The fact is I have to wait the six hours whether I do it before some arbitrary unlock/release date or not
So the difference is how YOU feel about the wait. I personally would be pissed having to wait another week to play something I already had downloaded. And, I bet many other users would feel the same way.
The bottom line is in your scenario I have to wait six hours PLUS another week when Valve generously bestows the ability to play the game. In my scenario, I simply have to wait the six hours until the download is complete.

You are missing the point, you have to wait that week no matter what because that is when Valve is releasing Lost Coast, so in that time why not get most of the downloading out of the way.

Buying a ticket to a one-time performance or show which occurs at a set time is in no way analogous to a computer game which you can play at any time on your own equipment.

Yes it is, it is the exact same damn thing, they set the release date they, say when you can play it. I think your argument is against Steam (which I don’t like) in general not pre-loading (which makes perfect sense).

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 11:14.

Oct 23, 2005, 09:56
Re: ... Oct 23, 2005, 09:56
Oct 23, 2005, 09:56

Neither have I as it would make no sense.

It's nice to see that Valve has let you personally know how large the download would be. Care to share it with the rest of us?

As for your analogies, you seem to be missing out on a basic fundamental. You're making the assumption that the level is available to release at any time. That's not the reality. The reality says that "the release shall take place at XX on the YYth" (where XX and YY are the time and day, respectively).

That's going to happen whether there is a preload or not. So from a "playing the level" (or game) perspective, there is no way to play it before that. So using the '6 hour dl' from the previous example, you've got an option - take 6 hours before the level is scheduled to be released so that that release time you can play (relatively) immediately, or take the 6 hours at release time. Anyone with a braincell can see that the former is preferable.

Oct 23, 2005, 09:27
Re: Pre loading? Oct 23, 2005, 09:27
Oct 23, 2005, 09:27

Just because you can cite another example of a similar stupid action does not make the action itself any less stupid.
No, but I don't see anybody banging on about it. Even the immature fuckwads on the Imdb boards don't bother moaning about that.

Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older