Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

F.E.A.R. Patch

The promised first patch for F.E.A.R. is now available, updating Monolith's first-person shooter to version 1.01. The update addresses some bugs and optimizes performance in the game, which should be appearing in stores today. The patch is available on 3D Gamers, Filecloud, FileFront, FilePlanet (registration required), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot, VGPro, and Worthplaying.

View
80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

80. Re: No subject Nov 3, 2005, 15:52 kanniballl

I use piracy to make informed purchases. I play every game thoroughly and then decide whether or not it is worthy of my money. For this reason, the vast majority of games that I buy are ones that I have already beaten.

If you can find anything illogical about the reasons mentioned above, feel free to continue your conveniently short-sighted belittlement of pirates. Otherwise, you may want to reconsider your own purchasing habits.

It depends on what you mean by thoroughly. If you want to play just a demo's amount (or a little more), or it's primarily a MP game like UT2004 then you have a logical method.

But if you're playing most of a FP game then your logic is somewhat flawed. If you play though 50%-75% of the FP game you're getting the same value most people get (some don't beat the game, some get sidetracked with new games, or some get bored). Then you're pretty much getting the game and all it has to offer for free. And face it, after playing a game 50%-75% through you usually get bored (or at least bored enough that you feel it's not worth the money).

The person's car analogy is spot on. Putting a few thousand (or 10's or 100's of thousands) of miles on a car before deciding to buy it is wrong. However, borrowing a friend's car for a weekend (like 1% of the total benefit) to make the decision is pretty smart (but you need a goooood friend).

Songs and movies though, that's another story. I might listen to a song a few thousand times in my lifetime. So if I decide to listen to it for free before hitting iTunes or the used CD store that's actually pretty good. The same with movies, though I only watch a single movie a few times a year (and that's if it's really good).

Those are just my feelings though.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama

This comment was edited on Nov 3, 15:59.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2005, 15:41 Riley Pizt

That would be like buying a car, driving it until you are finished with it (be that 50,000, 100,000, or more miles) and, if you were satisfied with the 'experience' (gas mileage, maintenance costs, safety in a crash, comfort, etc..., you would then pay for it.
If you find a dealer that allows that kind of test drive, sign me up!

78. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2005, 15:39 Riley Pizt

All for what? Ten hours of playtime?
You will definitely not finish the game in ten hours on the highest difficulty setting.

77. Re: No subject Oct 23, 2005, 10:12 Mallig

I use piracy to make informed purchases. I play every game thoroughly and then decide whether or not it is worthy of my money. For this reason, the vast majority of games that I buy are ones that I have already beaten.

If you can find anything illogical about the reasons mentioned above, feel free to continue your conveniently short-sighted belittlement of pirates.

That would be like buying a car, driving it until you are finished with it (be that 50,000, 100,000, or more miles) and, if you were satisfied with the 'experience' (gas mileage, maintenance costs, safety in a crash, comfort, etc..., you would then pay for it. Yeah, that sounds 'logical' to me. I guess you can't make a more informed decision than that!

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 10:14.

- Mallig
"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it." -Stephen Wright

76. No subject Oct 23, 2005, 00:06 Masa

I'd tried liking F.E.A.R., but I just couldn't bring myself to it. It takes way too many system resources to run. It also takes way too much fiddling to run decently, then the game doesn't look that good, except in the high end settings. All for what? Ten hours of playtime?

Oh well, I guess I'm just tired of PC FPS's because of the monotony. Guess maybe I've become to accustomed to consoles.

But as for performance, shit...

This comment was edited on Oct 23, 00:10.

75. Glitches and Bugs Oct 22, 2005, 18:20 Kiro

I seem to be fairly unlucky after reading through this thread and the Gamefaqs board for F.E.A.R. My install seems to be buggy as hell. The game's crashed twice now (one hard lock, one game crash) and i seem to be afflicted with random bugs. The most common one is total lack of sound when a new level loads, or really whenever it feels like it. Another one is i am unable to load a new game. The option is greyed out. It's a shame as the game seems excellent.

Oh and the people who are bashing QA probably need to understand just what it's like to be in QA.

QA Guy: Hey i just found this bug, where you fall through the floor when you press escape on a ladder.

Programmer: Er ok. Well we're kind of busy finishing the game, we'll fix that later.

QA guys might well tell the programmers etc about problems but the development team are too busy, or the bug isn't deemed important enough to fix before the game ships. Don't think that once a bug is found it's fixed right away if at all. People always go on about perfect code but these teams are working under the pressure of publishers and the penny counters to get a product out for a launch window. Cut these guys some slack for once.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 18:24.

<+pihlopase> Jesus Saves
<@jbroome> pases to moses, SCOOOOORE

74. Re: You know something Oct 20, 2005, 22:36 Celestial Toad

Already a patch? Didn't it come out all of 3 days ago? Wait I thought this game got 92% in PC Gamer? They must not be concerned with these tiny technical issues since Monolith is a second-tier developer.

73. Re: You know something Oct 20, 2005, 03:06 Riley Pizt

Anyone going to call this jerk on the racial slur bit?
Why, when you already appear to be hypersensitive enough to do it?

I wouldn't bother. Save your outrage for something which really matters not some potentially insulting but innocuous comment posted by some nobody on an Internet forum.

By the way, don't take this advice the wrong way. I applaud your previous posts on this forum regarding BnetD, but I think you are barking up the wrong tree here, and it wouldn't matter to the tree even if you pissed on it.

This comment was edited on Oct 20, 03:28.

72. Re: You know something Oct 20, 2005, 00:05 It is My Name

I've faced some scary crap in my day. I really pooped my panted with this game! Almost freaky like man! I would rather deal with a rag head with an ak47 than mess with that little girl in this game man! Anyone want my copy?

Anyone going to call this jerk on the racial slur bit?

71. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 19:58 Of Rock Star Fame

Hellbinder, you fucking ass smear, shut your fucking troll yap up for once in your fucking miserable little life. Who are you to fucking say whether or not the guy is having problems? Just because YOU aren't having any problems, doesn't mean that someone else isn't having problems.

Let me explain it to you slowly, so your dimwitted sawdust filled yaphole can understand it

YOU ARE NOT THE STANDARD BY WHICH THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE IS JUDGED.

Now for the love of games, shut your idiot troll face. You have no problems, great, more power to you. Enjoy your game. If someone else says he's having a problem, he's having a problem. Simple as that.
Fuck damn.

Creston

My God man, I think that is the maddest I have seen you, I'm not sure I like it.

70. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 10:54 Krovven

Don't forget to take your valium this morning. Could be a long day without it.

----------------------------------------------------
Zero Tolerance Games - http://www.ztgames.com
CSS Server 63.208.142.66:27015
DoDs Server 63.208.142.64:27015

69. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 10:51 Creston

Total B.S.

You only fall through the map when hiitng the esc key while on a ladder. it only happened occasionally. It has nothing to do with falling throught the map in normal play.

Hellbinder, you fucking ass smear, shut your fucking troll yap up for once in your fucking miserable little life. Who are you to fucking say whether or not the guy is having problems? Just because YOU aren't having any problems, doesn't mean that someone else isn't having problems.

Let me explain it to you slowly, so your dimwitted sawdust filled yaphole can understand it

YOU ARE NOT THE STANDARD BY WHICH THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE IS JUDGED.

Now for the love of games, shut your idiot troll face. You have no problems, great, more power to you. Enjoy your game. If someone else says he's having a problem, he's having a problem. Simple as that.
Fuck damn.

Creston

68. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 08:54 starmonkey

"Pirates are selfish thieves."

Arrr, and that's why they put it up on bit-torrent for everyone to download, 'cause they're selfish, arr

67. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 05:04 Jarek Forhanon

If there are any critical bugs, the game would never have passed QA.

Um, are you talking about FEAR specifically or games in general? Because many games have been released with critical bugs. Vampire: Bloodlines, KotoR2, Boiling Point, etc. A game passing QA is fairly worthless in the gaming industry.

Pirates are selfish thieves.

A moralistic claim that has numerous holes. There are a number of justifiable reasons to pirate:

1) Many game demos offer a poor sample of the full game. The FEAR demo, for example, felt underwhelming because the level was an amalgamation of other levels in the game and therefore lacked flow and rhythm. Similarly, the demo to Deus Ex: Invisible War gave a poor taste of the full game, as the level was also thrown together from various parts of the hub and the mission choice was lackluster. Most developers even warn players that their demos do not represent the quality of the final game. If I had judged games based on their demos alone, I would have never even considered buying the full versions.

2) Many games (almost all RPGs and most obscure titles) do not have any demos at all. How can any logical person buy a game without trying it first? Assuming that a game will be good because it is from your favorite developer or is a sequel to your favorite game is simply ignorant. For example, I used to love Shiny. I played through and purchased MDK, Wild 9, Messiah and Sacrifice. If I had placed blind faith in Shiny, I would have also purchased Enter the Matrix, which was crappy and obviously rushed. This leads into reason number 3...

3) Many games are shipped in an incomplete state. KotoR2, Boiling Point and Vampire: Bloodlines (none of which had demos) were all shipped prematurely and were blatantly unfinished. The "quality assurance" of the software industry is an utter joke and if you blindly purchase games that are unfinished, the industry has no reason to raise its standards.

4) Game reviews are completely unreliable. There was a time when I bought games purely based on reviews and as a result, I ended up wasting money on games that I did not enjoy. "Fun" is highly subjective. Personally, I hate most of Blizzard's games. However, had I purchased the games because of their sparkling reviews, I'd have wasted money on games that I hate. The only way to effectively judge a game is to play it yourself.

5) Return policy (or lack thereof). If I buy a game and end up disliking it, can I return it and get a full refund? No. I'm stuck with it. Even if I claim it is defective, I'll just get the same game back as a replacement. Buying games without playing them first is a good way to waste $40-50. One can argue that this return policy is a result of piracy and that may hold some water. However, even if piracy (and cracking) were to magically disappear, it is unlikely that retailers would become more lenient in accepting returns. Why change a policy that gives them sure-fire profits?

6) Backups. With increasingly overzealous protection schemes, such as Starforce and Securom 7, it is becoming almost impossible to back up your own games. Why would you need to back up your own games, you ask? Loss of the disc and damage of the disc caused by external forces (dogs, water, disc drives that spin the disc too fast causing it to shatter, etc). Store return policies last 15-30 days at the most, so if you lose or damage your disc after that period, you are screwed. Piracy enables the professional crackers to make backups for you when it is impossible to do so yourself.

If you can find anything illogical about the reasons mentioned above, feel free to continue your conveniently short-sighted belittlement of pirates. Otherwise, you may want to reconsider your own purchasing habits.

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 05:51.

66. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 02:35 Ray Marden

Pirates are selfish thieves.
And I could care less about the semantics of theft.
So you had to copy the game with the patch in your example, right? Could you not just download and store the patch so you can play the game, barring Windows incompatabilities, years down the road?

I have an e:/games/patches/ directory full of patches for my games, both current and given away. You could also put them on a CD/DVD/memory card/wahtever. In my example, I have no need for a "copy" of my game.

And the developers already include many, many fixes in the box - it is the retail release that has going through many pre-release, alpha, and beta versions.

If a game is deemed complete, should the developers hold it until they can find something to fix? If the developers do find something to fix in the normal development cycle, should the developer not fix it so as to have a fix ready to stuff into the box when it ships? If a game is about to ship out, but a bug is found, should it be halted a week or more to dis-assemble everything and include the patch CD?

I do think there should be a cut off, I am open to some type of consumer-driven developer "punishment" for game-stopping bugs, but I do not think any patch period should be grounds for such action...
But maybe it is just me?
Wishing I could play the games early/free, but still not going to pirate,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

65. Re: No subject Oct 19, 2005, 00:55 MindTrigger

Haha Meat.. Yeah My favorite part is in the cave big ass statue head. It's when Ting jumps up in the air pulls his legs back, and "lawn darts" that guy through the boards down to the ground.... classic shit.

The dude with the sunglasses is funny as hell.

Oh.. and the DVD does have subtitles, but they are more like subtitles for the deaf rather than standard english ones. Lots of stuff like "clapping, cheering" and "hip hop music playing" lol. Oh well, it works.

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you."

This comment was edited on Oct 19, 00:58.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

64. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2005, 23:57 HoSpanky

too bad Monolith spent all that time making their game look incredible and use all the latest hardware but forgot that video cards aren't the only new hardware.

no widescreen support = no sale.

63. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2005, 21:10 MeatForce

[YOINK!]

I loved the action too. I've always been a fan of Kung Fu myself, this was the first time I had seen so much Muay Thai. I was really amazed by it. Seems to be mostly power hits (in the movie anyway), and I love all the double hits like knee/elbow combos. Was weird to see all the elbows blasted to the top of heads. I bet that would ring your bell, and compress your spine pretty good. Very fun to watch.

Yeah, same here -- just blown away by what I was seeing. I was talking to the Little Old Man who ran my guesthouse about it, and it turned out he used to compete when he was younger. He said exactly what you noticed; tons of mangling people with your elbows and knees in creative ways

He said the elbow is the hardest bone in your body (probably followed closely by the knee), and the idea is to visualize yourself striking a point just behind your target's head so that when you connect, you do so with as much force as you can mustre..

I don't know if you've seen any making-of footage, but even in the film at times you can see some of the stunt players brace themselves for the impact.. really nasty stuff!

I must say though, I can't stand the majority of the acting. A lot of it is laughable, but it has it's moments of goodness. The action more than makes up for it. All in all, it's a keeper. I bought it.

Yeah, the guy in the sunglasses is too funny! Gotta admit, I have a soft spot for ol' George though. Supposedly he's the Eddie Murphy of Thailand, if you can imagine..

I hope Tony Jaa does some more flicks. He kicks ass. Fans of martial arts films should pick it up. I've taken it out like 6 times already to showcase the fight scenes for people.

Oh hell yeah! I'm sure he will. The film was HUGE in Asia, and got him noticed here as well, AFAIK. He's just a crazy beast, that guy. He had a freaking fractured ankle for a large part of the filming, but did it stop him from running on people's heads? Nooooo!

Started as a stunt player, and the director was so floored by him that he developed Ong Bak literally as a vehicle for showcasing such amazing talent, so I'm sure we'll see more of him.

Luckily for us, they'll be bound by some insane code to out-do themselves on his next pic too!

What's on the DVD? Does it have subs at least?

I've got a crappy VCD I picked up in Phnom Penh of all places.. this was hilarious in itself because even though you could buy it in lots of the shops, the lady who sold it to me acted as though it was contraband since a few weeks earlier a mob had set fire to the Thai embassy there and they had closed up the border.. The real gold though is that the subs are in Khmer! Not bad for crazy Thai propaganda that was still playing in the theatres of the enemy

OH.. and I love the guy with the furry hat that fights Ting in the bar. He was fast, and had a great attitude. I wonder if he is any good.

Hehhehee! Poor little guy!

The entire end sequence in the caves is just psycho, but I think my favourite move in the whole film (just for pure silly) is when Ting sets his legs on fire, and then clears a pickup truck en route to cracking that guy's motorcycle helmet in half with his firey knee of death That just had to be unpleasant!

[/YOINK!]

-----
GW: Tashen Boke [R/Me]; Rosti The Ninja [Mo/R]; Gort Grimley [W/Ne]
This comment was edited on Oct 18, 21:13.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

62. Monolith.... Oct 18, 2005, 20:55 Retired

One thing they had a hard time with was the horrid feel of a game. Did they ever fix that? You know what I am talking about? If you walked around and moved forward while looking at the ground? Didn't feel natural, and was almost like you were floating?

No head bob.
No feet.
Not a very smooth movement, almost like you were on an x,y,z axis with no inbetween.

Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a BAT gets all of my press?

61. Re: No subject Oct 18, 2005, 19:46 MindTrigger

MeatFarts,

I loved the action too. I've always been a fan of Kung Fu myself, this was the first time I had seen so much Muay Thai. I was really amazed by it. Seems to be mostly power hits (in the movie anyway), and I love all the double hits like knee/elbow combos. Was weird to see all the elbows blasted to the top of heads. I bet that would ring your bell, and compress your spine pretty good. Very fun to watch.

I must say though, I can't stand the majority of the acting. A lot of it is laughable, but it has it's moments of goodness. The action more than makes up for it. All in all, it's a keeper. I bought it.

The other thing that struck me was how "sloppy sounding" the Thai language is after you have watched a shitload of Mandarin Chinese flicks like I have. Nothing against Thai, just doesn't sound as elegant to me. I don't speak either language, so what the hell do I know?

I hope Tony Jaa does some more flicks. He kicks ass. Fans of martial arts films should pick it up. I've taken it out like 6 times already to showcase the fight scenes for people.

OH.. and I love the guy with the furry hat that fights Ting in the bar. He was fast, and had a great attitude. I wonder if he is any good.

---
BF2 Player Name: "MindTrigger"
"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you."

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 19:49.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

80 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo