9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Backfire
Oct 4, 2005, 00:54
Backfire Oct 4, 2005, 00:54
Oct 4, 2005, 00:54

It's my optimistic ohpe that the public simply won't take to a format that's obnoxiously protected. The general public will buy this new format and get ridiculously annoyed at the restrictions that are plastered all over a product they just paid for, and they'll spread the word to their friends that they might as well just not even move to the new format, because it's not worth the hassle.

And they'll tell their friends, who'll tell their children, who will tell their playmates, who will grow up and rebel against unnecessary content protection by coming together and creating one format that will take over the entire film, music, and software industry, and which will of course have no protections whatsoever. In fact, they'll just make it free. Because by that point money will be meaningless and the world will be a united society of peace and cooperation where corrupt politicians and religious wars will be a thing of the past.

You know.. like Star Trek.

I see a distinct possibility for this.

Well.. maybe just the first part.

No subject
Oct 3, 2005, 16:54
No subject Oct 3, 2005, 16:54
Oct 3, 2005, 16:54

Usually I think most people are just blowing stuff out their ass when bitching about DRM and AAC, or whatever they are, but I agree with Ray. I just bought a HDTV monitor (not quite as nice as Zathrus's DLP, but hey, it's still HDTV baby, and I've got all my consoles rigged with the HDTV cables ^_^) and a few other key pieces of equipment. Now the word is that new pieces of equipment will have to be bought to accomodate the corporations behind the new copy protection schemes?

: Sigh :

And here I thought the major industries were suppose to be courting the comsumer.

Re: Dammit
Oct 3, 2005, 14:00
nin

Re: Dammit Oct 3, 2005, 14:00
Oct 3, 2005, 14:00
 nin

Um...some of us change our underwear every day...

Why would you do that?

This reminds me of a review Old Man Murray linked to years ago, I believe for The Sims...

Here we go:

Great Moments in Game Writing 2002-01-31 Erik
Thanks to JH Tompson. Happy anarchy day.

From a review of The Sims: Hot Date by a member of the ripe staff of Strategy Informer:

This game has some pretty bad faults in home-life. A character usually requires a 30 minute shower (or bath) per day which is not a realistic standard since many people shower every two days, and not for as long.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

Oct 3, 2005, 13:51
Re: Dammit Oct 3, 2005, 13:51
Oct 3, 2005, 13:51

Why would you do that?

Creston

Edit : Btw, if it gets Ray to (almost) say the word fuck, you KNOW it's bad...

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 13:53.

Oct 3, 2005, 13:50
Re: Dammit Oct 3, 2005, 13:50
Oct 3, 2005, 13:50

As ever, I am completely willing to be the "bitch" of the content creators one time at the start - give me some way of authenticating my crap and I will endure your questions and interrogation one time - but do not just label me a thief outright and then take it a step further by having the audacity to demand I buy all new equipment (damn, works out great for all your hardware manufacturers, doesn't it???) because you assume I am a thief.

I do think I am an extremely moral person, I do not steal, I go out of my way to push the anti-pirate, pro-purchasing viewpoint...and all this DRM/AACS/whatever stuff is just f*ck*ng me over.

I am moralistic so I underestand the ignorance and immaturity of the markets and companies involved. I can acknowledge my (angry) emotions and realize that I should not act on them (ie say eff yuu and start pirating,) but I do not see a lot of other people doing this.

I do everything right. I buy all my stuff. I have relatively new and relatively good hardware. I fight for the industry.

Even after being willing to jump through some hoops.

But it is easier for the indsustry to just label me a thief from the start...
Bastards.
Growling,
Ray

-----
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
http://www.livejournal.com/users/raymarden/
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Oct 3, 2005, 13:38
Re: Dammit Oct 3, 2005, 13:38
Oct 3, 2005, 13:38

And to those of us who don't have HDMI inputs on our HDTV's, there's another potential "content protection" hassle to worry about...

-----------------------------------
I like Pop Tarts
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Oct 3, 2005, 13:26
Re: Dammit Oct 3, 2005, 13:26
Oct 3, 2005, 13:26

What the fuck is AACS?

Pretty much the same as the primary DRM on Blu-ray.

a great benefit to content holders.

And a great "fuck you -- you're not to be trusted" to everyone else.

Oct 3, 2005, 13:23
nin

Re: Dammit Oct 3, 2005, 13:23
Oct 3, 2005, 13:23
 nin

This fucking content protection is starting to crawl up my ass like week old underwear.

Just a thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Tolyl Nor, lvl 20 E/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 13 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

Dammit
Oct 3, 2005, 12:51
Dammit Oct 3, 2005, 12:51
Oct 3, 2005, 12:51

This fucking content protection is starting to crawl up my ass like week old underwear.

From the "Toshiba reponds to Paramount announcement" article.

Last but not least, HD DVD will adopt AACS, created by major IT and CE companies, and so realize Hollywood’s most pressing concern: robust content protection – a great benefit to content holders.

What the fuck is AACS? Yet another thing to take into account, to make sure your equipment will work with it, like HDCP?
All this content protection is becoming FUCKING ANNOYING.

Creston

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older