Serious Sam 2 Demo

As promised, the Serious Sam2 demo is now available for download. Word is: "The approximately 250 MB demo has a full level from the final game, containing all 15 weapons (although you’ll probably need to cheat to see ‘em all), one of the drivable vehicles, a slew of enemies, and four player* online (and LAN) co-op! *full game supports 16 player online co-op!!" The download is available on 1UP, 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, 4players.de, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), Computer Games (Romania), FileFront, Filerush (torrent), FileShack, Fragland.net, Gamer's Hell, Gameguru Mania, GameSpot DLX (registration required), PC Gameworld, Seriously, Strategy Informer, VGPro, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
152 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older

Re: Secrets?
Sep 25, 2005, 02:12
Re: Secrets? Sep 25, 2005, 02:12
Sep 25, 2005, 02:12

Never mind found a post on the Croteam forums that lists them:

http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=44486&highlight=secret

PZ
------------
Reading: Jim Starlin's "Among Madmen"
PZ
------------

Secrets?
Sep 25, 2005, 02:05
Secrets? Sep 25, 2005, 02:05
Sep 25, 2005, 02:05

Just out of curiosity has anyone found all three secrets? I've only managed to find two: the ledge with the money & miniature guys from the jumppad, and the weird tree with the hot peppers on it just by where you get into the jet.

PZ
------------
PZ
------------

Re: No subject
Sep 23, 2005, 11:14
Re: No subject Sep 23, 2005, 11:14
Sep 23, 2005, 11:14

I think the complaint about the weapons is more in the hit animations. At least for me.

Flying things don't seem to take any inertia, they just hang there then fall.

Walking guys go flying back with the slightest tap, but it isn't satisfying. They go back completely upright then crumble. So it's as if they're standing the entire time and kind of jump back. It just looks weird. It's nitpicking again, but they shouldn't be perfectly vertical.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

Re: Not bad.
Sep 23, 2005, 07:08
Re: Not bad. Sep 23, 2005, 07:08
Sep 23, 2005, 07:08

Runs fine, looks fine. Wasn't much fun. I think it was more of a really bad choice of level for the demo and really bad level design. Doesn't give a very promising impression of the level design in the full game. Blatantly obvious invisible walls everywhere. C'mon, there's no excuse for it, any competent level designer these days knows how to design a level and avoid putting huge clipping walls out in the middle of nothing ness. Put some fucking rubble or some other prop to give an actual visible indication of a blocked area, not a wide open street with an invisible wall, or an invisible wall around the whole upper starting area, making it impossible to fall off. Retards. Shitty demo.

Not bad.
Sep 23, 2005, 05:28
Ant

Not bad. Sep 23, 2005, 05:28
Sep 23, 2005, 05:28
 Ant

Just finished playing it. Very smooth on my system with an Radeon 9800 card! I love the colors and scenaries. I still prefer Egyptian theme in the original game.

Sep 23, 2005, 00:08
... Sep 23, 2005, 00:08
Sep 23, 2005, 00:08

I never played the originals but I found this to be a simple fun game. However it was worryingly short... I understand that they don't want to give away too much but if they can't even put in two or three levels then I question how much the full game is going to offer. Still, runs great and looks great.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Sep 22, 2005, 21:18
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 21:18
Sep 22, 2005, 21:18

I don't know about the demo but Painkiller Gold loads pretty fast on my machine with the latest patch. Really great game.

Sep 22, 2005, 20:32
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 20:32
Sep 22, 2005, 20:32

Painkiller for example. A horrible demo, full of bugs and an awfull performance. The full version though ... boahh! IMHO the Greatest Shooter of 2004 in terms of fun!

So does that mean that the load times in the full version weren't as bad as the demo then? I tried the demo but after spending 90% of my time waiting for levels to load rather than actually playing the game I gave up on it pretty quick.

PZ
------------
PZ
------------

Sep 22, 2005, 16:32
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 16:32
Sep 22, 2005, 16:32

But your analogy is flawed, since the product you were sampling in the grocery store would have to be half-cooked for it to be the equivalent of a game demo, which is not the final product by any means.

That might be true if they were releasing a beta. But this is supposed to be a demo. A complete demo, if we are to believe the press release (ie, this exact level is supposed to be in the final game).

I'd have to agree tho', if you are incapable of making a demo that accurately reflects your final product, don't release a demo. Having no impressions of a game is bound to be better than having bad ones.

Really, I hope the final product is better than what this demo has shown. But I'm certainly not going to rush out to buy it and find out.

Sep 22, 2005, 16:25
Prez

Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 16:25
Sep 22, 2005, 16:25
 Prez

Uh, isn't that the whole point of a demo?

No. It isn't. It is ONE point of the demo, true. But your analogy is flawed, since the product you were sampling in the grocery store would have to be half-cooked for it to be the equivalent of a game demo, which is not the final product by any means.

This point comes up every single time a relatively underwhelming demo is released to the community. It makes me wonder sometimes if demos do more harm then good. Unfortunately, many people will not buy a game without first trying the demo, so they won't be going anywhere any time soon.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 22, 2005, 15:41
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 15:41
Sep 22, 2005, 15:41

It seems a little premature to write off a game because of a one level demo.

Uh, isn't that the whole point of a demo?

Yes, in an ideal world, we have ideal demos, which shows us EXACTLY what to expect in the full game. But (sadly enough) we don't live in an ideal world. And so there are demos that DON'T show us, what to expect from the full game. Yes, i liked the demo. Was i overwhelmed? No, but i had fun and it shows potential. And thats enough for me.

Painkiller for example. A horrible demo, full of bugs and an awfull performance. The full version though ... boahh! IMHO the Greatest Shooter of 2004 in terms of fun!

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 15:42.

Sep 22, 2005, 15:40
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 15:40
Sep 22, 2005, 15:40

I liked it.

I expected a mindless shooter type game and that's what I got. It definitely has a console/arcade feel to it, but I don't mind it for this type of game. It's a nice change of pace from playing the usual PC games. I don't see the invisible walls as an annoyance any more than the forced pathing in Guild Wars.

Sep 22, 2005, 15:19
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 15:19
Sep 22, 2005, 15:19

Uh, isn't that the whole point of a demo? If I go to the grocery store, and they are giving out samples of something, and I think it tastes like crap, am I supposed to buy the whole product anyway, on the offchance that the rest of it tastes good?

A demo is (or should be) designed to give people an idea of what the full game will be like. Sure, it's possible that the game could be a lot better than this demo portrayed, but in that case, they chose a bad demo level. If I can't make an accurate determination on whether a game is good or not based on the demo, then what's the point of having demos ('good or not' being completely subjective, of course).

With that being said, I really haven't seen too many people completely slamming the demo (let alone the final product). I've seen a lot more "I don't like X", or "Y isn't done very well" posts than "holy crap this demo blows goats".

This was a tough one but I'm waiting
Sep 22, 2005, 14:33
This was a tough one but I'm waiting Sep 22, 2005, 14:33
Sep 22, 2005, 14:33

For the bargain bin or a second demo. I'll admit the engine was beautiful. The tall glass skyscrapers and huge, expansive mega city were impressive as hell. This was literally the best looking game I've ever seen, as far as the environment goes. And it ran perfectly and smoothly with absolutely everything cranked up to the max at 1600 x 1200. That was apleasant surprise. If I buy this it'll be just to look at the sights if nothing else. The weapons, ammo and enemies were curiously garish and cartoonish, even more so than the original games. Better to see from a distance on a low res TV screen methinks?

I do get obsessive on the subject but yeah, it screams console port. The bizarre menus that are quite obviously designed for a joystick with only minimal, confusing and annoying support for a keyboard thrown in at the last minute (e.g., mapping the controls: Gah!) The oversize fonts. Aren't the weapons bigger and more obtrusive than the previous games? The movement is ... weird. I don't like it but maybe it just takes some getting used to. I hope they release another demo someday but they're going to make an absolute buttload of money off the console crowd so why should they bother?

The final straw was the music. It sucked sooooo bad. Tough decision but I'm waiting on this one.

Sep 22, 2005, 13:58
nin
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 13:58
Sep 22, 2005, 13:58
nin

Well, a lot of negative comments just seem to be over the top - everything sucks and NOTHING will ever be as good as it used to be.

Whoa! Someones using login and reason. Kudos to you, sir!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

Sep 22, 2005, 13:43
Prez

Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 13:43
Sep 22, 2005, 13:43
 Prez

Why is it that you're only allowed to have an opinion about a game if it's good?

Well, a lot of negative comments just seem to be over the top - everything sucks and NOTHING will ever be as good as it used to be.

It seems a little premature to write off a game because of a one level demo. Maybe the designers WANT those of you who don't like some things (invisble walls, weak-sounding weapons, etc.) to tell them so they can fix what the community doesn't like.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 22, 2005, 11:20
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 11:20
Sep 22, 2005, 11:20

I played it thought it was fun.Invisible walls and all! Yeah it was weird at first but I figured it out and continued playing. I had none of the other issues people are mentioning so I dunno. Mouse seemed fine. I am concerned about level size now though. I loved how you could see for such long distances in the first two encounters.

Sep 22, 2005, 10:49
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 10:49
Sep 22, 2005, 10:49

My tolerance was high for the other annoyances, as they were just that - annoyances.

My tolerance is not high for terrible level design, which is what the invisible walls are. If you're going to use invisible walls do not use that as a means of forcing me to solve a "puzzle" in your manner. If they hadn't had the ramp double back to where you could have easily jumped on it then it would have been fine, but instead they tried to force your path through artificial means.

That's poor level design. They give you a problem, they give you an easy looking solution, then BAM invisible wall.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

Sep 22, 2005, 08:53
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 08:53
Sep 22, 2005, 08:53

I remember that quote too, though. From some gamespy piece, iirc.

-edit-
Gamespy, Ign...they're all the same anyway

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 08:55.

Sep 22, 2005, 08:35
Re: No subject Sep 22, 2005, 08:35
Sep 22, 2005, 08:35

Absolutely not true. Desu Ex 2 and Thief: Deadly Shadows had the same size lvels (DX2 was actually a bit smaller). When the Thief3 level editor was released after some hard work by the guys at the lookingglas forums (into the lookingglass, whatever), there where posts by one of the level designers who had made the release of the editor possible. He said that he was looking forwards to what the fan community would do, without the console restrictions and that the lack of RAM /was/ the reason why those games had tiny levels.
This was what many had thought, and here was confirmation not just from rumour, but straight from the horses mouth (a leveldesigner who worked on both games). So lets put that rumour of yours to bed, shall we?

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I'm sorry I posted all this text

152 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ] Older