BF2 Patch Notes?

A post to the Neowin forums (thanks Total Battlefield 2) offers what are purported to be leaked patch notes for the upcoming version 1.03 patch for Battlefield 2. The update describes a new map (a return to Wake Island?), a BFHQ stats compare feature, new player name "tags," and some balance tweaks, with some accompanying bad news in the form of a projected October 3 release date. This is neither official nor confirmed, so keep your salt shaker handy as you chew on this:
Engineer/Helicopter· Modified the rate at which engineer can repair a helicopter while sitting in the helicopter. It now takes longer for the engineer to repair the helicopter.

Vehicle/Control Point Capture· Only one person in a vehicle counts towards a control point capture. If passengers want to increase the rate of the flag change, they must disembark from the vehicle.

Vehicle/Soldier interaction· Improved physics of vehicles against soldiers so that soldiers are not as easily killed by moving vehicles. Bring on the wing-walkers!

Auto Balance· Auto team balance no longer moves the commander or squad leaders to the other team.

Point Farming· Limits placed on ability to point farm.

Rank/Awards· Criteria for gaining ranks and awards has been changed.

Supply Drop· The commander's supply drop now has an icon on the minimap and a 3D-map icon in the world.
View : : :
59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: More ideas
Sep 12, 2005, 19:58
mag
Re: More ideas Sep 12, 2005, 19:58
Sep 12, 2005, 19:58
mag

engineers in 1942 were awesome if you could aim properly! :]

Agreed. The engineer was, IMO, the best class in 1942 by far. The rifle had excellent aim, if you did. The landmines let you easily take out enemy tanks. And satchel charges + jeeps = awesome fun.

Whats next?
Sep 12, 2005, 18:10
Whats next? Sep 12, 2005, 18:10
Sep 12, 2005, 18:10

Im just wondering what's next for the BF series? Futuristic combat looks to be already taken by Planet Side, Tribes 1 and 2, Quake Wars etc.

I for one could go for another modern day warfare installment maybe in another fictional area. Where I am not sure. Shoot I would even be happy with Vietnam and WW2 redone with this engine!

I am sure I will be playing BF2 well into next year. There is just so much to do.

BF2 is one of those rare games that just ups the ante on all games. To me it really is one of the top 10 best games I have ever played and it finally kicked CounterStrike Source and the original CS off the throne.

Sep 12, 2005, 17:49
... Sep 12, 2005, 17:49
Sep 12, 2005, 17:49

I think most of us agree on many of the uissues brought up in these comments. However, i then think that we are the veteran gamer, yet minority when it comes to this game and our influence in it.
we all know what needs fixed to make the game better, but us 50, or hell, even 1,000 of us aren't enough to change the way the game is built.

I really hope there are some good mods coming down the chute (if so, can i get some links please).. that fix everything wrong thats mentioned above. Heck, even a new game of this same scope would be nice to see -- very soon, i mean.

Re: Aldo 14
Sep 12, 2005, 17:35
Re: Aldo 14 Sep 12, 2005, 17:35
Sep 12, 2005, 17:35

It is those moments, along with many others, that have me by the balls with this game. It is truly amazing all the things that THIS GAME GETS RIGHT

Get a whirlie full of SF guys and go bangin around the map, provides for good fun...even just loading up and raiding the enemies airfield (though suicidal it may be) was good fun. That was last weekend for me.

Aldo 14
Sep 12, 2005, 16:46
Aldo 14 Sep 12, 2005, 16:46
Sep 12, 2005, 16:46

You're welcome and thanks for complimenting my flying (hehee, kidding).

Althought I do hold a personal record which I havent seen beat of 663 points for my squad in the BH. I was a medic pilot, one gunner was support, all the rest wrenches. WE had a blast, didnt get shot down once, close calls, and flew for over 35 minutes in the same chopper! That was about 10 days ago, so it wasn't when BF2 just came out.

It is those moments, along with many others, that have me by the balls with this game. It is truly amazing all the things that THIS GAME GETS RIGHT and yes it does have flaws, but the good stuff far outweighs the negatives.

Re: weird....
Sep 12, 2005, 15:50
Re: weird.... Sep 12, 2005, 15:50
Sep 12, 2005, 15:50

I fly the Blackhawk quite a bit and if you're flying so that your two gunners can actually hit something then you end up leaving your chopper pretty exposed. If you want to rack up those driver assist kills you have to slow down to and take up a steady orbit around the target area. Your gunners will then be able to hit and kill whatever wanders into your view but this also has the side effect of having your chopper be really damn exposed. I've been orbiting an area and gotten taken out by grenade launcher fire, I die and the pilotless chopper spirals into the nearest building. I guess my point here is that if you're going to fly a Blackhawk to cap a flag or provide a fire support platform, then you have to fly in such a manner that exposes you to a shitload of ground fire.

Fair point.... the only time I got a good score (gold star... whee!), was in that BH, and solely because the guy flying it was simply fucking ace at orbiting round and presenting targets; quite often you end up with someone like me, who doesn't know their arse from their elbow in a helichopter and zooms about bouncing off buildings.

Although I remember getting my arse smacked out of a chopped hit in the crew section by an RPG... very Black Hawk Down.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 15:50.

Zathrus
Sep 12, 2005, 13:26
Zathrus Sep 12, 2005, 13:26
Sep 12, 2005, 13:26

Good points. I totally failed to mention how 1-2 Vans/LAV/Humvees can lay waste to the choppers. But it makes me laugh that these units, which are not designed for aerial defense, are more effective than an actual AA tank!
There is nothing more frustrating than playing a map like Mashtuur City on the MEC side and seeing NO ONE grab the vans and a tank, stay near the center and smash that BH to hell. I have seen this done by an effective squad or two several times an the BH is rendered useless for the most part.

The AA tank main cannon should be about 1.5 times the strength of the current mounted machine gun on the above mentioned vehicles. That would make it an effective "solution" against air units.

It is a joke that you can pump an AA tank cannon 100% into an air unit till it over heats just to see the unit fly away with little to no smoke, turn at you, fly by, turn by you again and give you the finger, turn around again and buzz you, turn around again to throw coffee in your face and then, only then shoot and kill you right through that tin can armor.

I have been playing about 90% jets on both sides (using my new Saitek x45 combo). I get an average of 20-30 to 1 kill ratio. This tells me something is unbalanced here. Yes a good attack jet can ruin my bombing ways, but this isn't common as I believe effective jet flying to be the hardest thing to do in the game. It also requires a joystick and throttle like setup.

Also:
LET THE COMMANDER FORCE PEOPLE ONTO SQUADS AFTER 5 MINUTES OF GAME PLAY! If the commander is of solid rank like Corporal or above this should be his option. And maybe some point punishing for rogue "jerk" squads. I really haven't thought much on how to do this, but the commander gets ignored often. When you have a good, talkative commander, you really can turn an undermanned team into a deadly force against squads with no commander.

Fix the VOIP to work like it claims at least TeamSpeak level with the ability to talk before and after games.

My 7 cents is about a $1.50 at this point!

Re: Bitcari
Sep 12, 2005, 12:45
Re: Bitcari Sep 12, 2005, 12:45
Sep 12, 2005, 12:45

The AA gun is incredibly weak against all aircraft.

Actually I find them to be extremely effective at completely missing the locked-on target and finding any random friendly air vehicle.

-B

Re: Shataan
Sep 12, 2005, 10:56
Re: Shataan Sep 12, 2005, 10:56
Sep 12, 2005, 10:56

You act like hybrids have taken over... Quake 4 is on the horizon and there are plenty of other games out which offer infantry only combat. There's room for both styles.

I like variety... so I'll probably pick Quake Wars over Quake4. Still, I've pre-ordered Quake4 and even loaded up quake3 recently to brush up on my railgun and bunny hopping skills.

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.
http://bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=43526450
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 10:57.

Sep 12, 2005, 10:26
Re: weird.... Sep 12, 2005, 10:26
Sep 12, 2005, 10:26

"Good ol ground pounding in DoD is fun."

Good ol` ground pounding in ANY game is fun. Vehicles imho is an area where devs bit off alot more than they can chew. KISS=keep it simple stupid. lol This has always worked.

Now since every kiddie and his dog can jump on Daddies PC, the devs are looking for anything they can to add to the game to get Daddies hard earned sheckles. So AirQuake, and Roadwarrior was added to what used to be awesome onfoot mil combat. You dudes can keep your BF 2s and J-Ops type vehicle games. I can`t believe I suckered into buying those pieces of shite.

Sep 12, 2005, 09:14
Re: weird.... Sep 12, 2005, 09:14
Sep 12, 2005, 09:14

Variety of responses...

just give shoulder mounted stingers to people

Screw stingers. Give me AAA like in '42. I was in a Stinger yesterday on Gulf of Oman, SW point. I was defending against a Cobra, had lock, and fired two stingers straight at the barely moving helicopter. I watched them both arc toward it and then take a 270 degree turn AWAY from it when they were about 10' away. WTF? I wish I'd been recording it, or took a screen shot of the smoke trails. These things are useless.

Lets make the MEC/Chiense support chopper (axis blackhawk) able to do SOME damage with those pea shooters on the side!

Seriously. The BH's should have a high rate of fire, but no splash damage. The MEC/Chinese choppers should have a low rate of fire with good splash damage. To top it off the Soviet chopper is also more vulnerable -- the side doors are larger and there's the huge hole in the back that just screams "insert grenade here!".

1942 also screwed the engineers and people rarely played them.

That's different from what I saw -- all the top players were engineers. They had by far the best load out -- explosives and mines for anti-vehicle and the sniper rifle for infantry. I could drop people up close or at distance with a single head shot with that gun, and did so, repeatedly. The BF2 version is much more balanced, but I do hate the weapon. Even the unlock isn't very good (but better than the default IMO). It's only good to maybe 20-30' though, and if they see you you're toast.

Tanks main cannon should shatter any flying vehicle

Definitely. I think the APC is well balanced though -- more damage to flying vehicles maybe, but the splash on it is great for anti-infantry. And yeah, the AA vehicles should definitely move faster.

AA is very powerful against aircraft as long as you know how to use it

It's complete crap. Only very poor pilots get taken out by one. Any half decent chopper pilot will jig and dodge when being shot, using terrain and buildings for cover. Jet pilots will simply run, turn on ground lock mode, and blow you away on their next pass, long before you can do any damage to them.

And yes, I have the Air Combat medals and badges. But I've had to spend far too much time in Stingers to get them -- and garnered more team damage and kills in the process because the freaking things decide to go chase something else (see above).

The easiest way to take out a helicopter is with jeep guns, not with AA. I took out an undamaged Cobra with the DPV (small US jeep) turret gun in about 5-6 seconds last night. He got me with a rocket as well, but we kept the flag.

The easiest way to take out a jet is another jet -- if the enemy has a good jet pilot and you don't, they're probably going to win because you can't kill him (it was much the same in 1942, but the skill level required was much higher since the AAA was actually effective).

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 09:18.

Sep 12, 2005, 09:09
Re: More ideas Sep 12, 2005, 09:09
Sep 12, 2005, 09:09

You just have to get the unlocked PKM. I did last night and wow does that thing take people out in droves. Sounds great too.

Sep 12, 2005, 08:16
Re: More ideas Sep 12, 2005, 08:16
Sep 12, 2005, 08:16

Support machine guns for the support class are TOTALLY useless.

I haven't had that much trouble with support. I can kill three or so guys at a time. You just have to think more carefully about where you are. Plus having a squad with you so you can hang back a bit and not have people firing right at you helps.

Re: Bitcari
Sep 12, 2005, 08:13
Re: Bitcari Sep 12, 2005, 08:13
Sep 12, 2005, 08:13

I'd like to add to these points. There are some frustrating oversights in this game which have stopped some of my friends playing the game. I was hoping some of these would be addressed in the next patch.

Firstly, spawning at a base right in front of an enemy tank. Spawn players away from the line of fire to at least give them a fighting chance!! Other games manage this effectively (UT2004 for instance).

Secondly, SAM guided missiles from the ground turrets are wildly inaccurate! These need to be a LOT more accurate...they are in the real world. It's risky enough being sat in such an exposed area trying to take down a chopper, but to have it take it's time and still manage to turn around and take you down after you've fired a barrage of heat seekers is laughable.

The punishment system needs careful tweakage too. The amount of times I get punished by my team 'mates' for stepping on a mine I'd layed 15 minutes earlier. FFS, surely they should be the ones punished for being so dumb...there are warning icons on their screens!

Don't get me wrong, this is a great game, but I have to say the most frustrating I've ever played.

Re: This scares me
Sep 12, 2005, 08:10
FU
Re: This scares me Sep 12, 2005, 08:10
Sep 12, 2005, 08:10
FU

I guess it's a great time to start player if you never have before.

Bitcari
Sep 12, 2005, 07:22
Bitcari Sep 12, 2005, 07:22
Sep 12, 2005, 07:22

Are we playing the same game?

The AA gun is incredibly weak against all aircraft. The missiles are nice and fairly balanced, the cannon extremely underpowered for an AA unit and no smoke defense? That doesnt make sense.

The Engineers just cannot defend themselves in this game, no one plays them due to the TK, and once their mines are dumped what else does he do? Repair armor that gets taken out immediately by bombers and Anti tank?

Also to add one more to the list.

Anti Armor class should have more ability against air unit. The missile travels a tad slow so maybe increase the guided aspect a bit. Or add the option to switch between anti air and anti armor weapons using the same ammo for play balance.

It's a TEAM BASED GAME!!
Sep 12, 2005, 06:07
It's a TEAM BASED GAME!! Sep 12, 2005, 06:07
Sep 12, 2005, 06:07

First of all, seriously! GOD!

You have to listen to your commander! He is the watching EYES!
When he says defend / attack / guard = FOLLOW HIS ORDERS!
STOP Freaking Whining about the HawkWhoring! If you want to win, you would be spreading ur squads in each base and defending each base seperately then move forces that are close only! Unless the commander sees a huge force heading to a specific target where he should ask 2-3 squads to assist the current defending squad!

Enjoy the game
Fastclans.net

http://m2.doubleclick.net/1037299/PID_51447_ea_bo4_728x90__UGO_40k.gif
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 06:07.

Sep 12, 2005, 05:26
Re: weird.... Sep 12, 2005, 05:26
Sep 12, 2005, 05:26

I think the blackhawk whoring should have stayed, just give shoulder mounted stingers to people. oh well.

Point of Existance mod for BF2 isn't very far away. At that point vanilla BF2 will cease to be interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Sep 12, 2005, 04:28
Re: More ideas Sep 12, 2005, 04:28
Sep 12, 2005, 04:28

re 3: engineers are very playable with the shotgun, tho a p90 type gun may work better for the class especially with base defence. engineers in 1942 were awesome if you could aim properly! :]

re 4: use an AA.

re 5: the apc is a VERY powerful unit - the overheat is very nicely balanced - increasing it would make the apc too powerful. the cannon is great on infantry. as for aircraft: USE AN AA!

re 7: no. AA should be used for taking out aircraft - if you are using them as a tank then you are a massive retard. ANTI-AIR the clue is in the name! As for damage - the AA has a cannon and missiles, soften up choppers with your cannon then finish them off with missiles when you've got a lock. the AA is very powerful against aircraft as long as you know how to use it. practice!

Re: This scares me
Sep 12, 2005, 03:22
Re: This scares me Sep 12, 2005, 03:22
Sep 12, 2005, 03:22

Please release COD 2 and ET Quake Wars so this can die.

59 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older