Monday Q&As

• Battlefield 2: Special Forces
    Gamecloud's Battlefield 2: Special Forces Q&A catches up with David Yee of EA to discuss the upcoming Battlefield 2 expansion: "The two biggest additions in Special Forces are the zip line and grappling hook. These two features give infantry advanced moment options and really bring up the number of possibilities on the Battlefield. Where in the past, hardcore players have memorized common routes and chokepoints, Special Forces creates moments where the enemy aren’t always going to come through the same alleyway or passage. It’s very satisfying to flank another squad, or attack spawn points in ways that weren’t possible before."
  • HoMM V
    The Heroes Of Might And Magic V Q&A on Gamecloud discusses the next installment in the fantasy-themed strategy series with Ubisoft's Fabrice Cambounet: "We are giving the Might & Magic universe a consistent geography, history, and identity. That means that in Heroes V you will have few direct connections with the previous games in the series, although the universe is still the same at its core. And of course the game will feature most of the creatures and factions the players are expecting from a Heroes game, plus a host of incredible new features and entities!"
  • Futurelab
    The Futurelab Q&A on Boomtown talks with the organization behind a study into the efficacy of video games as a learning tool: "The study will look at what children can learn from computer games, how best to introduce games into the classroom and what changes might be required to make them relevant to education. It will start by investigating current attitudes of both educators and students towards games and their use in the classroom through a MORI poll, the findings of which will be available in August 2006."
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: HoMM V?
Sep 6, 2005, 10:58
Re: HoMM V? Sep 6, 2005, 10:58
Sep 6, 2005, 10:58

HoMM IV looked too much "let's go 3d and fancy, and make the heroes fight" and stuff. Took away some of the style and flavour of HoMMIII, in favour of something that looked more console-y. Too shiney and not soft, like II & III. If that makes any sense.

HoMMII & III rock, including the music. Very addictive, and I would say III was also one of the more polished games I've played, not a lot of balance issues (though the AI could get predictable sometimes, the community map support made things challenging too). From what I gather the new HoMM V leaked beta looks closer to 4 than I might like, but we'll have to see. I just would really REALLY like to see more TBS games with multiplayer. I've been CivIII-ing by email for a couple years now, I guess, would like to see more major games support it. Hard part is the battles, I guess.

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

HoMM V?
Sep 6, 2005, 09:33
HoMM V? Sep 6, 2005, 09:33
Sep 6, 2005, 09:33

HoMM 3 Complete is probably my favorite game ever. I've never played HoMM 4, but if comments are any indication, I probably never will.

Nival made a few good games (Etherlords, despite its flaws, is a good game, and Silent Storm is brilliant), so there's still hope... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

No subject
Sep 6, 2005, 02:38
No subject Sep 6, 2005, 02:38
Sep 6, 2005, 02:38

hehe - yeh im with you paranoid - Quake CTF with grappling hooks was killer as hell... I also used to seriously dig the jailbreak mod... i played the hell out of that shit

you may be happy to know that one of the questions on the SiN MP questionare at Raven was "How essential is a grappling hook for multiplayer?"

i put it at "very much"... hopefully a bunch of other people did too and it will make a long needed comeback

Re: Ah, Quake (1)
Sep 6, 2005, 02:20
Re: Ah, Quake (1) Sep 6, 2005, 02:20
Sep 6, 2005, 02:20

I always thought infantry felt clunky in BF2. Just not terribly amusing, and the maps need to be strong to make this infantry-based expansion work. Your characters felt so encumbered and lacked such agility, I don't see how special forces could be fun.

Again, though, I disliked this game as a whole. And it's been a terrible summer for games, I think FlatOut was the last game I played and I uninstalled it well over a month ago. Gaming, for non-BF2 fans, has been nonexistent.

Haha, Quake had like 40 grappling hook mods. The first one I fired up with my friends confused them. I'd just grapple up to the purple sky, hang around, then blast them with death from above.
It was great fun with a few PeaceBots mixed in, too.

-------------
Doomriders: the first new band worth a signature - http://www.deathwishinc.com/

Ah, Quake (1)
Sep 6, 2005, 02:09
Ah, Quake (1) Sep 6, 2005, 02:09
Sep 6, 2005, 02:09

That grappling hook mod was the shit. It was a mod if I remember correctly not a built in game feature. But it was fun as hell. Nothing like hooking some poor noob that was trying to run away only to splatter him to gibs when you got him pulled in close.

Those were the days. Rocket jumping, grenade launcher bouncing mayhem! I had one of those space-orbs(gamepad) and I could own with or without that thing. Now that was a fast paced game... of course I was ten years younger and had no arthritis at that time. LOL!

I still love pwning teenagers until they start calling me a hack. Then I tell them how old I am and really make them cry... muahahahah!

Re: re: tarded
Sep 6, 2005, 01:03
Re: re: tarded Sep 6, 2005, 01:03
Sep 6, 2005, 01:03

I haven't had too many problems with the infantry weapons EXCEPT for the support class weapons. The support class as is is total garbage, it's light machine gun isn't useful in any situation. Yeah, I get that it's a machine gun and therefore shouldn't be as versatile a weapon but it should at least have some utility. It doesn't matter whether you fire in short bursts or lay into someone full auto, you can't reliably hit a god damn thing.

Compare this to the MG42 in Enemy Territory: if you can get set up in a good position and have a LT give you ammo every now and then, you can hold off the whole enemey team. You're still very vulnerable, especially to grenades but if you're good the MG42 is the highest casualty producing weapon in the game, as it should be.

Meh, I'm just hoping that Quakewars will be as good as it looks.

Re: re: tarded
Sep 5, 2005, 23:58
Re: re: tarded Sep 5, 2005, 23:58
Sep 5, 2005, 23:58

Well, I'm hoping that I will bitch enough on the net that DICE will eventually hear mmy plea and tighten the cone of fire... I'd like to play infantry again.

I have a feeling ET:QuakeWars is a long way away...

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.
http://bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=43526450

re: tarded
Sep 5, 2005, 23:28
re: tarded Sep 5, 2005, 23:28
Sep 5, 2005, 23:28

and here i was thinking that i was alone with my take on the wildly innacurate guns in BF2.
i can go in spurts wher i hit guys 1 shot 1 kill and i can barely see their heads, to 20 shots up close and he doesnt die.
the hitscan is horrid and the weapon damage appears random.

its a good game in concept.. but why can't it have ET-like physics?
it seems to me that ET:QW will be exactly what i need..
perfect physics/damage/hitscan and vehicles that follow suit.

grappling hook... hrmm.
if only i could import my Quake1 Thunderwalker CTF guy into BF2..i'd show them what a real grapple hook should work like.

The amount of damage done to the US in the first week alone has to have China and Russia laughing at us.

Re: HoMM V??
Sep 5, 2005, 23:08
Re: HoMM V?? Sep 5, 2005, 23:08
Sep 5, 2005, 23:08

I'm not sure why you all think that the guns are too inaccurate. I have no problems hitting people in BF2.

Sure you kill people, so do I, but the point is moot. The guns do not behave like past BF games... I don't get near as many kills in BF2 as i do in BF42 and BFV. In fact, I just got finished playing a game of BFV and I fucking tore through 7 freaking guys with an AK... I did that regularly in BFV and I have NEVER been able to do that in BF2. The cone of fire is a lot different in BF2 from what I have read is that DICE wants to keep people from sniping with regular weapons like we were able to in past BF games. And on one forum I read that they changed the CoF because "people don't like to die a lot."

Apparently, a majority of the BF players never played Quake thus they don't have any twitch skills... I always tore it up in BF now I am like everyone else. The CoF is a handicap for good players... Average players will never notice it.

Another franchise I enjoyed ruined for the masses...

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 23:09.

Re: No subject
Sep 5, 2005, 21:37
f13
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2005, 21:37
Sep 5, 2005, 21:37
f13

anyone remember SHOGO?? i really seriously dig that kind of fast-paced anime mecha action... i wish there were some games like that coming out

not mecha, but anime-like: www.gunzonline.com

Sep 5, 2005, 21:28
Re: HoMM V?? Sep 5, 2005, 21:28
Sep 5, 2005, 21:28

I'm not sure why you all think that the guns are too inaccurate. I have no problems hitting people in BF2.

Sep 5, 2005, 21:26
Re: HoMM V?? Sep 5, 2005, 21:26
Sep 5, 2005, 21:26

yeah developers really shouldn't call their games "more accessible" anymore...the industry's greatest disappointments seem to be more accessible than the previous game...tribes 3 was more accessible...and the majority of tribes fans didn't like it (I personally did though)...deus ex 2 was more accessible and it was just a major disappointment...to have homm 5 be more accessible worries me...I always loved homm 2 and 3...they were simple and addicting games...and to have it be more accessible worries me because that word to me just seems like a substitute for "dumbed down"...

Sep 5, 2005, 19:27
Re: HoMM V?? Sep 5, 2005, 19:27
Sep 5, 2005, 19:27

Ubisoft got the rights to HoMM and now Nival are developing it. I think the "original" HoMM V was completely scrapped, and they are starting from scratch.

but the game will be faster, more accessible

When I hear that sort of comment about an old TBS, I usually start to get worried, especially when HoMM IV's gameplay was worse than the ones before it partly because of the "enhancements" they made. The graphics look damn nice though...

Re: Cone Of Fire
Sep 5, 2005, 17:48
Re: Cone Of Fire Sep 5, 2005, 17:48
Sep 5, 2005, 17:48

To me that is one of the strangest things about the game. In my eyes BF2 has a CoF with a bit of Rock-Paper-Scissors and also a dice roll mixed in there some-place. That is how the hit detection is being calculated.

Yeah it's just like planetside... Which I quit playing because the weapons sucked.

HoMM V??
Sep 5, 2005, 17:40
HoMM V?? Sep 5, 2005, 17:40
Sep 5, 2005, 17:40

I thought HoMM V was cancelled? I hope they make it more like HoMM III instead of HoMM IV... IV wasn't bad but III was much better and more fun to play IMO.

Cone Of Fire
Sep 5, 2005, 17:24
Cone Of Fire Sep 5, 2005, 17:24
Sep 5, 2005, 17:24

To me that is one of the strangest things about the game. In my eyes BF2 has a CoF with a bit of Rock-Paper-Scissors and also a dice roll mixed in there some-place. That is how the hit detection is being calculated.

Not by your skill... unless your skillz are the downloaded type, then you can just shoot in the general direction of an enemy and get a head shot 9 out of 10 times. Even with a pistol.

No subject
Sep 5, 2005, 16:40
No subject Sep 5, 2005, 16:40
Sep 5, 2005, 16:40

anyone remember SHOGO?? i really seriously dig that kind of fast-paced anime mecha action... i wish there were some games like that coming out

Sep 5, 2005, 16:36
Prez

Re: No subject Sep 5, 2005, 16:36
Sep 5, 2005, 16:36
 Prez

I recommend a new franchise, called Tribal Wars. There would be huge maps for teams of 32 players each, and guys with guns flying around with jet-packs, and vehicles to ride in. And each side would get this awesome base to defend their flag in. There could be like 3 different classes of armor, and the weapon you could use would depend on the armor you chose.

C'mon Garage Games. Get crackin'!

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 16:36.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Sep 5, 2005, 16:30
Re: No subject Sep 5, 2005, 16:30
Sep 5, 2005, 16:30

I'd love to see garage games pick up where tribes2 left off but I think those guys are concentrating on the engine. I've loaded up Tribes 2 a few times in the past couple of weeks and i have yet to see a decent classic server running.

I did re-install UT2004 though and I am liking it more now than when it came out.

As much as I bitch about BF2's weapons I still play the game... because there's nothin' else out right now.

I'm really hoping Quake Wars is everything it seems like it will be.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 16:31.

No subject
Sep 5, 2005, 14:25
No subject Sep 5, 2005, 14:25
Sep 5, 2005, 14:25

they dont need the franchise if they want to make another Tribes game.. all they have to do is name it something else, and add in a bunch of cool new shit

im hoping they will do it at some point

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older