UC: A World Apart Patch Glitch

3000AD sends along word on a glitch with the initial release of the version 1.00.03 auto-update for Universal Combat: A World Apart. Here's word on the problem, and the updated update, which does not iterate the game's version number:
Yesterday we released the v1.00.03 patch to the public via the in-game patch Updater. We have since discovered that an incorrect character asset was included in the original game distribution. This would cause one of the Instant Action scenarios (IA0113) which uses that asset, to fail upon loading.

To this end, we have re-issued this patch today and corrected this problem.

For those who have not yet updated their version, running the in-game Updater will download the new version.

For those who have already updated their version, the steps described in the v1.00.03 section of the recently updated version control file show how to force the Updater to re-download and re-apply the patch.

We apologize for this error. Hope you are enjoying the game as much as we enjoyed developing it.
View : : :
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 1, 2005, 00:26
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 00:26
Sep 1, 2005, 00:26

I know I do, and that includes idiots who taunt the guy and then actually get offended when he gives it back to them. Beleive me, theres enough BS to go around for everyone....

Anyone who gets offended from internet arguments is a fucking retard... then again, anyone who cant discuss something rationally without resorting to personal insults is also a fucking retard... lots of retards to go around, for sure

Re: No Subject
Sep 1, 2005, 00:20
Re: No Subject Sep 1, 2005, 00:20
Sep 1, 2005, 00:20

Again.

unlike some people who are much bigger assholes than me, i care about how my personal views tend to reflect on the company and those i work with.

I didn't say it would reflect badly on the company or associates, even though i do consider my personality inflammatory. However, i don't want to take any chances. Regardless of my actions here, there's nothing stopping anyone from calling up my workplace and causing me problems, regardless of whether what they might say is true or not. For example, there's nothing stopping me from calling Buckeye Technologies now and telling your boss that you raped my sister, and have often had sexual relations with dogs and other small animals. Oh, you're also a convicted drug addict. Now, i won't do this, but i could -- and i could pick a much more sinister, convincing topic. By using the advantage of anonymity i can avoid any possibility of this happening -- whether they'd take the caller seriously or not, it causes disruption in my workplace, and it would be completely my fault for giving out that information. Therefore, i think you're pretty damn stupid for giving all that out. Enormously stupid, in fact. The anonymity of the internet is a priceless tool, so if you choose not to use it, that's your problem. I certainly don't give a shit what happens as a result.

I just don't wish my own personal views to be applied to those around me, as they so often are on the net. Are there other people working in Derek's company? Yes. Do you think anyone actually considers that, or do you think that they associate Derek's actions directly with the games he takes part in creating? It's not commendable that Derek acts like a giant fuckwad with no regard for others. It's disgusting that he is as selfish as he is. Perhaps, if he acted in a different manner, his games might sell more copies, and his development associates might be more well off. Are there people out there who will never buy a(nother) DS game due to how he's treated them in the past? Yes. I guarantee you, there are a lot. Perhaps thousands. Derek hasn't exactly made a lot of friends throughout his career in development. An excellent example of this is right here, in this thread.

Oh, nice try at deflection though, John. You'd be a good politician. Take the focus off of Derek and turn it on me, make me the issue here and not him. Admirable attempt. However, i am protecting the company i work for and my workplace standing by exercising discretion. Derek, on the other hand, is not. Call my choices cowardly, call me afraid -- again, label it however you want. I call it smart, and really, i couldn't care less what you think of me.

Eagerly awaiting your next deflection,
random.thought

Aug 31, 2005, 23:45
Prez

Re: No Subject Aug 31, 2005, 23:45
Aug 31, 2005, 23:45
 Prez

John Prezioso

Age 35

Memphis, TN

Buckeye Technologies

Electrician/Instrumentation technician

So, what are YOU afraid of?

All I'm saying is that it's easy to hide behind a veil of secrecy. You are saying that if people actually KNEW who you were, you would reflect badly on your company and associates. What does that say about how you treat others?

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 23:50.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Aug 31, 2005, 23:38
Re: No Subject Aug 31, 2005, 23:38
Aug 31, 2005, 23:38

Oh, feel free to label it however you want Prez, because all i'm going to do here is quote my reasons for doing so if you or anyone else feels like bringing this up again:

unlike some people who are much bigger assholes than me, i care about how my personal views tend to reflect on the company and those i work with.

I would gladly tell you my real name if i thought it would make any difference as to your opinion of me or anything i say, but i know it won't, so i'm not going to bother. Plus, i'm well aware of your bias in this situation. I doubt you'd give a flying fuck if this wasn't aimed against one that you appear to hold in such high regard. Ah, the wonders of google.

So, John, would you mind giving me your full name, first and last, and who you work for? If you don't want to do so, i'd strongly suggest that you shut the hell up.

I am random.thought. You are Prez. Half-Elf is Half-Elf. Welcome to the internet. And it doesn't change a single bit of the truth of what i said. Fucking pedants.

Aug 31, 2005, 23:15
Prez

Re: No Subject Aug 31, 2005, 23:15
Aug 31, 2005, 23:15
 Prez

Not to start a flame war, but you just about admitted to hiding behind the anonymity of your internet persona.

Kinda small of you, isn't it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Aug 31, 2005, 22:53
Re: No Subject Aug 31, 2005, 22:53
Aug 31, 2005, 22:53

Where is your guys contribution to the game industry?

I'm an artist for a north american west coast game developer. I've been in the industry for 6 years. Due to my inflammatory nature on these boards, however, i must decline to name the company -- because, unlike some people who are much bigger assholes than me, i care about how my personal views tend to reflect on the company and those i work with.

So my contribution is right here, buddy. Where's yours? Now fuck off.

Aug 31, 2005, 22:46
Re: No Subject Aug 31, 2005, 22:46
Aug 31, 2005, 22:46

Actually I do admire Smarts persistance and support of his games.
Reguardless of his past history or if ya don't like his games, he keeps working on them, keeps supporting and keeps doing what he wants to do. I woulda told the lot of ya to fuck off, drop dead, and probably never made another game.
I mean if ya want to start a pissing contest go right ahead, but at least come up with something new.

Where is your guys contribution to the game industry?

Aug 31, 2005, 22:08
Re: No Subject Aug 31, 2005, 22:08
Aug 31, 2005, 22:08

Or do you somehow believe that everyone who bought your games has infinite patience?

I guess you missed the part about having a brain. Might want to go back and actually read - and comprehend - my post.

Neither you, nor anyone, is in ANY position to tell me what I cannot do or how I should or shouldn't do it. This was a choice I made. I have reasons for making that choice. You and that jackass sitting next to you don't have to like it; but thats your problem, not mine.

I don't make games for idiots. I make games for gamers with a fully functioning brain. If tinkering with Notepad is such a big deal to someone who bought my game, my bet is that they bought the wrong game and probably wouldn't even know how to fire the ship's guns.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 22:08.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Aug 31, 2005, 21:59
Re: No Subject Aug 31, 2005, 21:59
Aug 31, 2005, 21:59

Hmm Derek,

So having the choice between inconveniencing the select few beta-testers of a future patch, and inconveniencing every single retail customer, you chose to inconvenience every single retail customer. So who’s the clown here?

The sane decision would obviously have been to call the updated patch 1.00.04, and rename the beta 1.00.05. That way only the beta testers would have to muck around with notepad, and the rest of the people would not have to get into any details.

Or do you somehow believe that everyone who bought your games has infinite patience? It’s hard enough to get a customer – but then you have to work extra hard to actually keep them. These little things do add up, you know.

Aug 31, 2005, 21:45
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 21:45
Aug 31, 2005, 21:45

#22 if you HAD a brain and were actually intelligent enough to be able to scrounge up two brain cells to formulate sensible thought, you'd know that there was a reason for my doing it this way.

But of course, since stupidity - not to mention being of obviously inferior intellect - is always an excuse to be an asswipe, it never did occur to you that increasing a version number serves no purpose other than to add confusion. I could easily have rolled it out as 1.00.04 and let the patch do its work.

But since you're too stupid to actually read the VCF, you didn't notice that a v1.00.04 patch already exists and is in testing but NOT ready to be rolled out. I didn't want to deprive those who want to play that scenario and have them wait until next week for a fix to appear in 1.00.04. So I simply pushed the revised asset (no source code changes) into the same patch. Those who already updated, know that it takes one minute to fool the Updater into re-downloading the patch. Anyone who plays my games - has a brain. And with that brain, they know how to use Notepad.

It is so easy to rag on someone else when you're just a ninconpoop hiding behind an alias.

Clown.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Aug 31, 2005, 21:29
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 21:29
Aug 31, 2005, 21:29

oh what the hell is the crap.

the steps described in the v1.00.03 section of the recently updated version control file show how to force the Updater to re-download and re-apply the patch

so read the text file to then find out how to FORCE the auto-updater to auto-fucking-update.

How idiotic does he want to be.

Step 1. Detect version
Step 2. Check latest version online
Step 3. Update as necessary.

Is that a totally new concept? if so I'll patent it - but I'm pretty sure everyone EXCEPT Mr derek smart know's what the hell an auto updater is meant to do.

PS before you come back with excuses, reasons and general SHITE as to why you could not call this a hotfix and have the auto-updater working for it, please make sure you publish photographic eveidence online that you do have a brain.

Vegetarian Logic: We'll save animals by eating their food

Aug 31, 2005, 21:20
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 21:20
Aug 31, 2005, 21:20

Derek Smart is a persistant little bastard, but ya have to admire the guy

I'm guessing this line of thought is coming from those completely oblivious to his past. While the flamewars were raging on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim, most those here defending him were discovering masturbation or learning how to drive.

Worse. I own a copy of BC3K.

Almost as bad as owning a copy of VanHalen III =\

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 21:22.
Dr. Michael Bolton's Hairdreser PhD, MD, LLP, DDS

Aug 31, 2005, 20:55
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 20:55
Aug 31, 2005, 20:55

FFS. One thing good that can be said about Derek Smart is he is stubbornly persistant about his games.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 21:00.

Aug 31, 2005, 20:35
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 20:35
Aug 31, 2005, 20:35

What did he do, kick your dog? Steal your Bible? Kick your dog's Bible?

Worse. I own a copy of BC3K.

Aug 31, 2005, 20:31
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 20:31
Aug 31, 2005, 20:31

The people defending the guy are 10x as silly. Call a spade a spade

I know I do, and that includes idiots who taunt the guy and then actually get offended when he gives it back to them. Beleive me, theres enough BS to go around for everyone....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
Aug 31, 2005, 20:29
No subject Aug 31, 2005, 20:29
Aug 31, 2005, 20:29

Hey, just for a change, let's talk about the game. Is it any good?

http://www.davidcsimon.com

No subject
Aug 31, 2005, 20:04
No subject Aug 31, 2005, 20:04
Aug 31, 2005, 20:04

The people defending the guy are 10x as silly. Call a spade a spade.

Aug 31, 2005, 20:01
Prez

Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 20:01
Aug 31, 2005, 20:01
 Prez

Such anger in one so...angry.

What did he do, kick your dog? Steal your Bible? Kick your dog's Bible?

- Mahatma Gandhi

Aug 31, 2005, 19:06
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 19:06
Aug 31, 2005, 19:06

Derek Smart is a persistant little bastard, but ya have to admire the guy.

Maybe you have to, but i don't. I don't admire socially inept chuckleheads who not only make poor games but squeeze out turd-laden excuses as to why they're "misunderstood" and not just plain old "pieces of shit." The guy has a pathological lying problem, insults his own paying customers with impunity, threatens lawsuits at every turn, is fiercely condescending, and often can't even admit to any of this.

While he did once offer some surprisingly sane insight into the workings of the ESRB and game industry, let me ask you this: if your ass produces nothing but shit for your entire life, then one day, you're sitting there on the toilet and amazingly, an ice cream sundae plops out, does that mean you should go eating everything that comes out of your ass from then on? Was one ice cream sundae really worth a lifetime of eating shit?

Yes, this is Derek Smart, soda machine assaulter, Mars rock owner, doctorate defrauder. This is the man you admire.

Aug 31, 2005, 18:27
Re: No subject Aug 31, 2005, 18:27
Aug 31, 2005, 18:27

We'll be waiting for you!

...NOT!

72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older