UC: A World Apart Patch Glitch

3000AD sends along word on a glitch with the initial release of the version 1.00.03 auto-update for Universal Combat: A World Apart. Here's word on the problem, and the updated update, which does not iterate the game's version number:
Yesterday we released the v1.00.03 patch to the public via the in-game patch Updater. We have since discovered that an incorrect character asset was included in the original game distribution. This would cause one of the Instant Action scenarios (IA0113) which uses that asset, to fail upon loading.

To this end, we have re-issued this patch today and corrected this problem.

For those who have not yet updated their version, running the in-game Updater will download the new version.

For those who have already updated their version, the steps described in the v1.00.03 section of the recently updated version control file show how to force the Updater to re-download and re-apply the patch.

We apologize for this error. Hope you are enjoying the game as much as we enjoyed developing it.
View : : :
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: No subject
Sep 1, 2005, 20:55
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 20:55
Sep 1, 2005, 20:55

People don't have to own the game to have a problem with it. Do you think people have to be alive during a certain historical event to have an oppinion about it? I was/am very interested in your games because A) There really is not any good space exploration games out there, and B) They sound huge. So, how am I supposed to determine if I should spend my money on it? First, I download the demo. Second, I read reviews about it. Third, I go to message boards where people have played it long hours and read what they have to say. I, me!, am your potential customer, and you dare say that nobody has a problem with it? Oh! you put the 'and' clause in there. It is great you are patching, but you must always be looking out for new customers, otherwise there is no growth.

What you need, sir, is a PR department, because here is one example of a lost sale. And remember, where there is one vocal person, there are hundreds more with the same oppinion. I agree with an earlier poster; your hack at patching is inconvience to the paying customer. What you must go through to convience the customer is moot to us, just do it.

Sep 1, 2005, 20:50
Kxmode

Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 20:50
Sep 1, 2005, 20:50
 Kxmode

Camaro's comment that we as consumers contribute to the gaming industry is dead on. If not for the customer, what would be the point of making games. If Derek wants to chase after a niche market of gamers/masochists, I say more power to him.

Can you imagine Adventure maestro Tim Schafer (former LucasArts' employee and man behind Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and (half of) Day of the Tentacle) coming on this site and trolling his spit all over the place? Within a week gamers would spread the word that Tim's an asshole (which he's not). But even if that happened, gamers would forgive Mr. Schafer because his games are very cool. The problem with Derek is he IS an asshole and his "games" (albeit ONE) suck! And when his customers (god have mercy on their soul for spending their hard-earned money on his crap) have legitimate problems and seek out help on 3000AD's forums, Derek Smart basically smacks them up-side the head with a 2x4 and tells them to go "f" off. Derek Smart did this crap to himself. It started more than 10 years ago and it won't go away. Derek has a small avid following that continue to beta test his stuff month after month, year after year. The fact of the matter is the reason why these Derek Smart threads average 100 posts bashing Derek is we HATE him and his crap, and his game too! Okay I swear I'm passing over anything Blue posts with "3000 AD", "Derek Smart", and "Battlecruiser". Not worth the time anymore...

-----
latest track: http://www.kxmode.com/media/music/kxmode_-_driftwood.mp3
more free music: http://music.download.com/kxmode

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 20:54.
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Sep 1, 2005, 20:38
Kxmode

Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 20:38
Sep 1, 2005, 20:38
 Kxmode

#22 if you HAD a brain and were actually intelligent enough to be able to scrounge up two brain cells to formulate sensible thought, you'd know that there was a reason for my doing it this way. But of course, since stupidity - not to mention being of obviously inferior intellect - is always an excuse to be an asswipe, it never did occur to you that increasing a version number serves no purpose other than to add confusion. I could easily have rolled it out as 1.00.04 and let the patch do its work.

Derek Smart rips his customers a new hole on his forums because they're not "intelligent" enough to know how to A. install his game B. patch it and C. play it. You know what Derek, why don't you tell your team to cater to the lowest common denominator. LCD is the reason WOW is doing so well versus other MMOGs. Oh what's that? You have your gigantinormous brain force field turn on that deflects suggestions.... phooey.

-----

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 21:02.
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Sep 1, 2005, 20:31
Kxmode

Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 20:31
Sep 1, 2005, 20:31
 Kxmode

Face it guys - you are starting to like Derek Smart. 5 posts and only one of 'em is nasty!

That's usually what kidnapped victims say of their captors; doesn't change the fact that a crime was committed... metaphorically speaking.

-----

No subject
Sep 1, 2005, 20:28
Kxmode

No subject Sep 1, 2005, 20:28
Sep 1, 2005, 20:28
 Kxmode

I think it's safe to say that the entire Battlecruiser series is a "patch glitch". Har har. For a second I thought "UC: A World Apart Patch Glitch" was the full name of another expansion from Smartipants and company.

-----

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 20:57.

Sep 1, 2005, 19:40
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 19:40
Sep 1, 2005, 19:40

And why am i picturing you doing one of those cute little gay hand waves when saying that?

I dunno. Cos you're gay and you like his hands? <shrug>

Sep 1, 2005, 19:33
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 19:33
Sep 1, 2005, 19:33

Fuck, I wish I could write half as well and funny as random.thought. Always a pleasure to read his posts!!!

It's pretty hard not to like him.

'specially when he has such pretty feetsies.

Sep 1, 2005, 17:33
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 17:33
Sep 1, 2005, 17:33

I said quiet, maggot. And why am i picturing you doing one of those cute little gay hand waves when saying that?

Derek: "Oh, you angry boy, you." *giggles*

Sep 1, 2005, 17:29
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 17:29
Sep 1, 2005, 17:29

For example, this patching thing everyone is bitching about. I have no problem about it, but many people do. Just look at this thread to see that.

Nonsense. There is NOBODY in this thread who OWNS the game and who has a problem with it. Stop posting unfounded and factless rubbish.

Just for another example, the biggest complaints in reviews about your games are the interfaces, followed by learning curves. People can get past learning curves, but interfaces are to stay.

More nonsense. The interface is no more complex than a typical MMO. People who rely on factless review, deserve to have their heads examined. Like EVERY game and EVERY piece of software, you have to LEARN how to use and then it becomes second nature. The ENTIRE game is mouse driven and I fail to see how anyone with half a brain could not be able to use that.

This is just a few examples of what I am referring to as your design and implementation choices.

...and all your examples are rubbish, unfounded and not based in reality nor facts.

Only it is fact these choices do not appeal to a large crowd,

Which is just fine by me.

and when potential people try to tell you what needs to be improved, either nicely or vocally, you tend to just tell them shut up instead of listening to them, and trying to improve your system, which would bring in more players.

..and you think that someone out there knows - better than I - whats good for my game? Puhleeze.

I rest my case. Run along now, you angry boy.
This comment was edited on Sep 1, 17:31.
Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Sep 1, 2005, 17:10
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 17:10
Sep 1, 2005, 17:10

Derek, quiet with your bile-spewing bullshit you fucking waste of human life. I needn't prove anything to worthless sacks of dog spit like yourself. Unfortunately for you, i don't even have to guess at the fact that you're not only a horrible game designer, but a talentless hack of a programmer as well. That's all easily provable. I could go on and on about your lies and excuses -- which isn't libel by the way, because it's true, you crapbucket -- but they're already covered extensively by certain webpages that luckily show up before your own in google.

Your games are a fucking travesty. You already got a few dozen dollars of mine back at the BC3K release, so that easily earns me the right to piss in your mouth and kill your first born -- you should be so lucky that all i'm doing here is calling you on your fucking pathological bullshit.

Not only that, you can tell from his posts that he doesn't have *one* iota of talent whatsoever.

You'd like that to be true i'm sure, but luckily for both you and me, posts in a message board don't determine talent. Who's being libelous now, you shitstain on the underwear of life? If we applied your forum-based talent-judging method to yourself, you'd be so fucking far down the scale, they'd have to rewrite the evolutional timeline to include a new species between monkey and human. There's already more fucking talent in the pus contained by the mountain range of pimples on your bulging, disgusting forehead, but hey, why stop now?

Don't you ever, EVER fucking tell me about character assassination. You're a goddamn hypocrite. You came in here a couple weeks back and told someone they're a poster boy for abortion -- that's not character assassination? Do i even need to bring up your ever-so-friendly usenet posts? Right, you spluttering, bug-eyed degenerate.

I could tell you all about how i spent 36 hours this week doing a 1.2mil triangle character model for a normal map, and go into the nuances of using zbrush for detail, or how much of a pain in the ass it is that i have to invert the green channel after generating the map in Melody, but you really don't give a shit whether i'm actually an artist, do you? You just want to attack me. You'll find any way to do so, and it's just so much more convenient to deflect the focus from what i'm actually saying and put it on the fact that i'm saying it anonymously. I used to hear that you were one of the best flame warriors, but now that i've experienced the real thing, i'd have to say that you're not. You're pathetic. A whiny, lost little dog missing a leg and an eye, grasping desperately for any possible way to hold on to your pride and save face in front of your googly-eyed drones. You're a fucking choir boy compared to me, a fucking choir boy!

Fuck you, Derek Smart.

Sep 1, 2005, 16:52
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 16:52
Sep 1, 2005, 16:52

I didn't say your 'type' of game keeps them from being big sellers, I said your design and implementation decisions do. For example, this patching thing everyone is bitching about. I have no problem about it, but many people do. Just look at this thread to see that. Just for another example, the biggest complaints in reviews about your games are the interfaces, followed by learning curves. People can get past learning curves, but interfaces are to stay. This is just a few examples of what I am referring to as your design and implementation choices. They are fine, and I not talking bad about them. Your choices, no big deal. Only it is fact these choices do not appeal to a large crowd, and when potential people try to tell you what needs to be improved, either nicely or vocally, you tend to just tell them shut up instead of listening to them, and trying to improve your system, which would bring in more players.

Sep 1, 2005, 15:27
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 15:27
Sep 1, 2005, 15:27

Mr. Smart is fully aware that his design and implemenation decisions are what keeps his games from being bigger sellers

...as opposed to what other type of blockbuster games exactly?

That argument is just plain silly. You are either developing a game for the masses or for a select group of people. Since day one, I have made it quite clear that I don't develop games for the masses. Obviously.

Apart from that, what about all those other games which FLOP badly and lose millions when THEY were designed by people who thought they knew wtf they were doing and what market they were catering to.

You either know your install base or you don't. I know my install base. I also know that I don't have to do a fucking thing to change it. Why? because the install base is large enough to keep me doing what I'm doing. I'm not greedy and I'm quite content with that which I have. I mean, there are only so many ways you can spend a few millions in your life time.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

Sep 1, 2005, 14:12
Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 14:12
Sep 1, 2005, 14:12

I always viewed Smart's games as aimed toward higher end users, i.e. people who enjoy 'mucking' around with notepad to get a patch. Since Smart develops his games this way, you either accept it and buy it, or leave it be. I believe Mr. Smart is fully aware that his design and implemenation decisions are what keeps his games from being bigger sellers. Maybe he is like Dave Chepel, and is afraid of success on some psychological level?

Sep 1, 2005, 14:04
Prez

Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 14:04
Sep 1, 2005, 14:04
 Prez

Oh, and Prez, with your nose firmly planted up Derek's ass, we already knew where to find you.

LMAO!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Gimp
Sep 1, 2005, 12:32
Gimp Sep 1, 2005, 12:32
Sep 1, 2005, 12:32

Hey gimp... I'm not banned from the Dreamcatcher forums and I occassionally post there about UC. You should really get some better information.

What, now I can't read your forum to see if there is an update to Universal Combat that might mean WORKING MULTIPLAYER? Oh, wait... when you said that UCAWA's kernel was basically built off of the UC kernel, I should have given up the ghost on working MP. You retread the ONE game you've made... over and over and over again what isn't TRUE about that? That Mars rock of yours must be irradiating your skull.

As for pathetic trolls... uhrmmm, you're the one that goes from site to site looking to respond to the slightest provocation. I told you a long time ago Derek, to just be a man... to grow up and not be baited. I see the advice hasn't yet sunk in. Too bad.

Clown? You're the John Wayne Gacy of games development.

Love ya!

Trollgate
Sep 1, 2005, 11:52
Trollgate Sep 1, 2005, 11:52
Sep 1, 2005, 11:52

Camaro's comment that we as consumers contribute to the gaming industry is dead on. If not for the customer, what would be the point of making games. If Derek wants to chase after a niche market of gamers/masochists, I say more power to him. His games will never be big sellers or particularly well received because of his arrogance. Let's face it, every game has basically been the same. Now the idiots that shelled out $30 for this game, have just been told that in 6 months there will be a new release which will basically be UC:AWA, with added "bits". What a lovely nebulous term. He has to churn these games out because he has to get as much out of the limited audience he has, as fast as he can... just to survive. To hell with quality or original content.

Takvar, for someone who has been banned - not only from our forums but also on Dreamcatcher's for bad behavior, one would think that you'd get the message.

Your stupid rantings have zero credibility and I have NO idea why you even bother.

For all my recent games, I have done a gold version. Lets see

Battlecruiser Millennium
Battlecruiser Millennium Gold
Universal Combat
Universal Combat Gold

I do not plan on doing a Universal Combat A World Apart Gold because I have a different plan. Instead of doing that, I decided to work on Universal Combat Special Edition, which will be the original UCAWA plus ALL the scenarios from EVERY BC/UC game ever developed. It also includes new scenarios, technologies etc.

You're such a fucking idiot, it never ceases to amaze me. wtf you're doing on my website, is anyone's guess; because I only posted that bit of info you - blatantly ripped - only hours ago over here.

http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=27;t=000748;p=1#000001

And in your typical brain dead fashion, you decided to post your usual brand of rubbish. I never asked ANYONE to buy UCAWA. Whoever wants to wait until March 2007 for the $39.99 priced UCSE, is welcome to do so.

Oh, and Prez, with your nose firmly planted up Derek's ass, we already knew where to find you. Good show projecting Derek's mania on others. Too bad for all of the rhetoric the facts remain constant. I still don't think the multiplayer works, and the game has little in the way of additions that make it worth BUYING. Hell if the series ends with UC:AWA (Gold or whatever the hell he is naming it), and that's 6 months off, why even bother to buy this incarnation? If suckers with bowl haircuts want to buy this just to have EVERY single version, great... for average consumers however, buying this game is plain DUMB.

Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

For one thing, mp works just fine. You don't even know how to plan the damn game, let alone mp. For all your ranting, WHY DO YOU GO TO OUR WEBSITE FORUMS, KNOWING FULLY WELL THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN POST THERE?!?

You're a pathetic troll, thats why.

Clown.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 11:55.

UCAWA digital distribution
Sep 1, 2005, 11:47
UCAWA digital distribution Sep 1, 2005, 11:47
Sep 1, 2005, 11:47

Hey Derek, do you have any idea when when your digital distribution stuff for AWA will be ready ?

I would order via your site but getting a package at my place is a nightmare as I'm always working during the day and not at home.

thanks..

I have submitted it to TryMedia's trygames.com, Digital River (which will make it accessible to their 40,000+ affiliates) etc. But since those companies handle everything in queue, they're a tad slow in the roll out. I expect that at least one of them (maybe Boonty) will have their act in gear by next week. I will of course post links when that happens. Sorry for the delay. I would offer downloads if I could, but I don't have the infrastructure for that, hence the reason I signed no less than eight or so e-commerce deals to companies that have the infrastructure, bandwidth etc.

FYI, its not going to be on IGN's Direct2Drive.

Re: Version Control File
Sep 1, 2005, 11:00
Re: Version Control File Sep 1, 2005, 11:00
Sep 1, 2005, 11:00

Your welcome...:P

Sep 1, 2005, 10:54
Sty
Re: Version Control File Sep 1, 2005, 10:54
Sep 1, 2005, 10:54
Sty

Man these threads crack me up. Some of the ironic statements are top notch as well. Thanks.

Sep 1, 2005, 10:31
Re: Version Control File Sep 1, 2005, 10:31
Sep 1, 2005, 10:31

Hey Derek, do you have any idea when when your digital distribution stuff for AWA will be ready ?

I would order via your site but getting a package at my place is a nightmare as I'm always working during the day and not at home.

thanks...:)

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 10:32.
72 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older