UC: A World Apart Patch, UC Gold Nears

3000AD sends news that a new version 1.00.03 of Universal Combat: A World apart is now available though the game's automatic update function. This Version Control File has word on what's new and different. They also announce a limited number of printed manuals are now available though their online sales and order section for those unwilling to print out the Adobe Acrobat version of the manual. Finally, they announce that Universal Combat Gold "is undergoing final Beta testing and will be available for purchase from our partners around the middle of September."
View : : :
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Let's Play A Game!
Sep 2, 2005, 03:36
Re: Let's Play A Game! Sep 2, 2005, 03:36
Sep 2, 2005, 03:36

I've got something here called Noctis IV CE which runs in XP fine, no problem:

http://noctis.sl.ecwhost.com/

Sep 1, 2005, 08:03
Re: Let's Play A Game! Sep 1, 2005, 08:03
Sep 1, 2005, 08:03

Noctis!!!! Ah yes, talk about blast from the past. Now there's a time sink if I ever did see one!!

btw, does it run under WinXP without tinkering?

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

Sep 1, 2005, 03:03
Re: Let's Play A Game! Sep 1, 2005, 03:03
Sep 1, 2005, 03:03

I was going to bring up Noctis a while back myself, but I felt that Dsmart would have come back with another fruit example and more mutterings about how his game renders entire planets and something about AI.

But I have also spent hours lost in Noctis. Its simple game play, huge universe, 880k download. The guy who programmed it is a god when it comes to coding.

Its stuff like being able to quit the game and then come back a day later and the universe acts as if time has passed. Maybe you were collecting more fuel when you logged off, when you come back you will have a full tank. Or maybe it was night on the planet and when you come back the sun is rising.

Aug 31, 2005, 22:43
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 31, 2005, 22:43
Aug 31, 2005, 22:43

Oh cool. I loved to tinker with MSFS in the past; when I had time. They've always left it open to that. Yeah, I'm one of those suckers who ALWAYS springs for the Professional version just to get his hands on the extra bits. Looks like I'm in good company.

I also liked ATC; too bad they didn't continue with that though.

Sure hurt my pocket-- how much was Pro 2004, $70, $80? ATC was neat too. A MMO flight sim is something I'd like to see, every last task done by humans.

By the way, anyone who likes the idea of huge galaxies might want to take a look at an old gem called Noctis.

http://anywherebb.com/noctis.html

The game is completly just exploring, there is no "gameplay" to it really. You get a little ship with a certain amount of fuel and have to occasionally refuel at a certain type of star. The great part is it's semi-online: the universe is generated at run-time, however it's NOT random. So if you discover an unnamed planet you can have it named.

The kicker that makes Noctis special is that you can land on ANY planet ANYWHERE and speed around the surface. It's more relaxing than it is fun, and I've spent hours and nights before with some music in the background just roaming around. The graphics are crude (DOS Voxels) but there's just something so engaging about it to me.

Aug 31, 2005, 14:23
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 31, 2005, 14:23
Aug 31, 2005, 14:23

I thought the Reality Engine had been snapped up by the Unreal guys and was no longer supported?

If you read the info at www.artificialstudios.com you will have your answer.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead

Aug 31, 2005, 13:14
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 31, 2005, 13:14
Aug 31, 2005, 13:14

I thought the Reality Engine had been snapped up by the Unreal guys and was no longer supported?

Aug 31, 2005, 11:14
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 31, 2005, 11:14
Aug 31, 2005, 11:14

You're doing something different besides the battlecruiser type games???

Repent you sinners, REPENT! The End Is Nigh!

LOL!!! Sorta. It does take place in the Battlecruiser world, but it is a different kind of game. Think Firefly meets Stargate SG1

Aug 31, 2005, 08:49
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 31, 2005, 08:49
Aug 31, 2005, 08:49

In saying that however, my next game, KnightBlade

You're doing something different besides the battlecruiser type games???

Repent you sinners, REPENT! The End Is Nigh!

Creston

Re: Fine...I read the damn thing.
Aug 31, 2005, 03:59
Prez

Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Aug 31, 2005, 03:59
Aug 31, 2005, 03:59
 Prez

I will buy your games just so you keep posting at Blues. Your threds are pure gold bud

Hey, a sale's a sale!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Fine...I read the damn thing.
Aug 31, 2005, 01:07
Re: Fine...I read the damn thing. Aug 31, 2005, 01:07
Aug 31, 2005, 01:07

I will buy your games just so you keep posting at Blues. Your threds are pure gold bud

Aug 30, 2005, 19:08
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 30, 2005, 19:08
Aug 30, 2005, 19:08

I'm not questioning the "feasability" of your game, it obviously works the way the fans want it. Nor am I "arguing". What I was pointing out is that with the planet-based combat, theres more real-estate there than than could possibly EVER be used in a million years by gamers. Wouldn't it be better to just scale that down and give the illusion of planet-wide combat and make the eye-candy really shine?

Ah OK, I see what you're asking now.

Nope, thats not the game I designed. If I wanted to do that, I might as well have blobs in space to represent planets and not go any further. The X series do that. Starshatter uses your idea and - well - look at the graphics in its small
planet areas (which are like postage stamps, compared to mine.

Also, once I went down this route with the original BC3K (my first game), there was no turning back.

In saying that however, my next game, KnightBlade (which uses the Reality Engine), is a LOT smaller and is going to be huge surprise.

Or is the appeal to your fans just the fact that it's scaled like that and even though they couldn't possibly use it all min a lifetime ?

Nope. I wanted to create worlds, not pocket spaces. So what if the player never gets to see all of it? What was the appeal of the fan fav Elite - which we all grew up on - if you could never visit its *millions* of planets?

Just because its in the game, doesn't mean you have to interact with or use it. There are LOTS of features in the game that most gamers won't even use; but its there for those who want to.

Its an honest question, again, I'm not asking just to bait you and then bust your balls.

I know. No worries m8

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 19:10.

Aug 30, 2005, 18:55
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 30, 2005, 18:55
Aug 30, 2005, 18:55

The question you have to ask yourself is WHY do something on this scale when it really doesn't make a whit of difference to the gameplay itself? It sounds impressive and from a programming angle I'm sure it is (I know shit about programming so forgive me) impressive but other than being able to bullet-point it on the retail package it serves no useful purpose other than to force you into having to using art assets that are less than attractive. Even a game with the largest fanbase couldn't begin to use more than tiny fraction of all that real-estate. Looking at a game like Parkan 2 ( http://www.parkan.ru/p2en/screenshots.php )they seem to have accomplished much of what you are shooting for while producing visuals that are undeniably top-notch. I'm sure there are differences that allow you to do some things that Parkan 2 cannot but are those differences REALLY worth all the pain of having to scale back your visuals to the point where you have to use ultra low res .bmp images for a city? (a few hi-res bldgs on top just doesn't cut it).

I'm not trying to bust your balls Derek, it's just something that always bugged me when you explain why the game looks the way it does. Anyhow, good luck.

First of all, any BC/UC gamer will read your post an just LOL. Seriously.

Why ask why? I designed and developed the game exactly as I wanted. It is as ambitious now as it was when I first conceived it. Only difference being that computers are now powerful enough to actually run the darn thing. I could've chopped it up and bailed a long time ago; but thats not me.
Just because YOU don't see the merits of the game's design and scope, doesn't make it any less feasible, viable or enjoyable. Your argument is no different from rabid fans raging on George Lucas over his Star Wars vision.

I'm not questioning the "feasability" of your game, it obviously works the way the fans want it. Nor am I "arguing". What I was pointing out is that with the planet-based combat, theres more real-estate there than than could possibly EVER be used in a million years by gamers. Wouldn't it be better to just scale that down and give the illusion of planet-wide combat and make the eye-candy really shine? Or is the appeal to your fans just the fact that it's scaled like that and even though they couldn't possibly use it all min a lifetime ?
Its an honest question, again, I'm not asking just to bait you and then bust your balls.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
This comment was edited on Aug 30, 18:56.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

100!
Aug 30, 2005, 17:20
100! Aug 30, 2005, 17:20
Aug 30, 2005, 17:20

Huzzah!

PhD
Aug 30, 2005, 17:08
PhD Aug 30, 2005, 17:08
Aug 30, 2005, 17:08

Show us your dimploma ffs. Just show it.

Aug 30, 2005, 16:46
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 30, 2005, 16:46
Aug 30, 2005, 16:46

I messed around with plane creation back in the day. Nothing on the shelf, unfortuantely-- we're talking about mods with a limited reach. I'm not a professional in the games industry yet, unfortunate

Oh cool. I loved to tinker with MSFS in the past; when I had time. They've always left it open to that. Yeah, I'm one of those suckers who ALWAYS springs for the Professional version just to get his hands on the extra bits. Looks like I'm in good company.

I also liked ATC; too bad they didn't continue with that though.

I'm not the generic troll. I'm an intelligent one!)

LOL!! Aren't we all! Well, at least if you exclude the likes of Camaro69, SpaceCaptain and their ilk.
This comment was edited on Aug 30, 16:47.

Aug 30, 2005, 16:16
Re: Let's Play A Game! Aug 30, 2005, 16:16
Aug 30, 2005, 16:16

eh? What? I wasn't hostile toward Hump at all! Why would I be? If nothing else, he's one of the more sensible posters here and who doesn't post for the hell of it.

I'm glad to hear that then if that's what you think. The wording simply came out hostile, is all.

ps: What add-ons for MSFS did you create? As as sim fanatic, I have most - if not all - the must have ones; including off-the-shelf ones.

Are you INSANE?!? Why are you typing up stuff that I didn't say? You might want to go back and actually READ my post before spouting off at the mouth.

"Apart from that, when you have NO AI to speak of, nor any features other than to fly from A to B, you can use those resources to create denser cities and areas. Game design 101."

By saying that, you're giving the impression that graphics and code are proportional to each other, I disagree. If that's not what you're trying to say, then either I'm reading it with the wrong tone, or you're not writing it right.

ps: What add-ons for MSFS did you create? As as sim fanatic, I have most - if not all - the must have ones; including off-the-shelf ones.

I messed around with plane creation back in the day. Nothing on the shelf, unfortuantely-- we're talking about mods with a limited reach. I'm not a professional in the games industry yet, unfortunately. I've got ideas, I just need to learn the skills to implement them. I'll probably reply to the rest of the message later, bit of a rush today admittetly.

(Just to make sure I'm clear here, I hold absolutely NO malice towards DS, or UC-- i.e. I'm not the generic troll. I'm an intelligent one!)

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 16:18.

Re: PhD
Aug 30, 2005, 16:06
Re: PhD Aug 30, 2005, 16:06
Aug 30, 2005, 16:06

Yeah a Apple compared to a moldy old brown fuzz covered banana that’s been left in the box for far too long and been over ripened by the apple.

So tell me, whats so diffrent in UC that doesn't put it into the same box as Starshatter ?

You clearly haven't played any of my games. So for me to answer that question would just end up reducing my brain cells to the same level as yours. Ain't gonna happen.

Aug 30, 2005, 15:02
Re: PhD Aug 30, 2005, 15:02
Aug 30, 2005, 15:02

Starshatter vs UC games. Yet another Apples to Grapefruit comparison. pah! This shit never gets old, does it?

Yeah a Apple compared to a moldy old brown fuzz covered banana that’s been left in the box for far too long and been over ripened by the apple.

So tell me, whats so diffrent in UC that doesn't put it into the same box as Starshatter ?

Aug 30, 2005, 12:19
Re: PhD Aug 30, 2005, 12:19
Aug 30, 2005, 12:19

If its libelous, why dont you sue their asses? Afraid we wouldnt win in court hmm?

Aug 30, 2005, 11:06
Re: PhD Aug 30, 2005, 11:06
Aug 30, 2005, 11:06

You're funny. I guess you're like that pimple faced ignored kid at the back of the class raising his hand all the time yelling Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! You posted this same crap many posts ago and was ignored. You posted it again. What do you think is going to change?

I don't have to prove anything to you or anyone, in much the same way I don't have to tell you what I had for breakfast. Your [pack mentality based] opinions are yours and you are entitled to them. If you think I give a shit what you - or anyone else - thinks, you're even funnier than I first imagined. Fact is, those who know me, know me. Period. End of your story. You and your ilk can take crap from some libelous site and use it to attack me all you want. It makes no difference to me, but just makes you the laughing stock.

Clown.

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 11:07.
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older