Out of the Blue

We had a roaring success entertaining the Smurfs yesterday, as we made a trip to a relatively nearby amusement park. The festivities included miniature golf and go kart racing, the latter of which was naturally a huge success. There were two-seat karts on the larger track where MrsBlue and I were able to give them rides, and even better, a smaller track where kids as small as they are can still drive for themselves. They were both surprisingly adept first-time drivers, and the festivities proved popular enough to warrant a brief outburst of tears when it was time to go, the sure sign of a successful adventure.

Driven Links: Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Links: The Rasterbator. Thanks Sharon.
EarthRoamer Xpedition Vehicles. Thanks Devicer.
Stories: Human Cannonball Soars Across U.S. Border.
Battle over rare gold eagle coins.
A Dairy Queen, Oops, Princess, in All Her Buttery Glory (registration required). Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science! 'The Man Behind the Microchip? The Next Small Thing (registration required).
Java Joy: Study Touts Coffee's Benefits.
California files suit on French fry health warning. We've become a nation of children.
Image: Hot Biscuit Mod. Thanks GameBrink.
Media: Yahooligans! TV.
Auctions: Potato chip anatomically correct for human female. Thanks choke.
eBay U WILL NAME MY BIG TOE Certificate. Thanks Kar.
Follow-ups: Adam, Eve and T. Rex (registration required). Me and you and a dog named boo.
Does Lighter Equal Deadlier? Registration required.
Teh Funny: UserFriendly.
FoxTrot.
View : : :
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Katrina
Aug 30, 2005, 03:44
Re: Katrina Aug 30, 2005, 03:44
Aug 30, 2005, 03:44

I personally have never seen/heard of anyone ever using the same source for heating a house to heat water

how do you heat your water?

I use a combi gas boiler, heats hot water on the fly and heats the house when needed.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

Aug 29, 2005, 16:08
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 16:08
Aug 29, 2005, 16:08

Good to see a couple posts from ya Bronco!

Ya, been far too quiet!

I'm still here every day. My decline in posting is three things.

1. Work is very intense right now. Stuff at home is also pretty intense - nothing bad or dangerous just intense.

2. My 'play' time is pretty much wrapped up in WoW still. The energy I'm devoting to running our guild is taking up most of my 'fun creative energy'.

3. I'm finding less to say. The politics is so tired and old to me. I'm still burned out from before the last presidential election!

I am still reading just about everyday except for weekends and I never read much on weekends ever.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
http://www.azurebrigade.com
- WoW Guild / Board
-TPFKAS2S

Aug 29, 2005, 11:26
Enahs

Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 11:26
Aug 29, 2005, 11:26
 Enahs

(the furnace is actually a dual fuel heat pump, so gas is only used if it gets below about 40F outside), but they're independant systems.

I use my P4 for heat in the winter!

That's not a toy! “ –Frylock, “You say that about everything you own. You should own toys. They're fun.” –MasterShake.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 29, 2005, 09:32
nin

Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 09:32
Aug 29, 2005, 09:32
 nin

Ya, been far too quiet!

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

Don't look at me that way. It was An Honest Mistake. http://www.thebravery.com/

Aug 29, 2005, 09:27
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 09:27
Aug 29, 2005, 09:27

Heh North Dakota is the place to be

As long as you don't mind snow drifts the size of your house, yeah... too far north for most tornados though!

Aug 29, 2005, 09:26
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 09:26
Aug 29, 2005, 09:26

I personally have never seen/heard of anyone ever using the same source for heating a house to heat water.

I have, but only in really old houses in New England. They've got all kinds of weird shit up there.

Note that it's a single system, not two separated systems -- both my furnace and water heater run on natural gas (the furnace is actually a dual fuel heat pump, so gas is only used if it gets below about 40F outside), but they're independant systems.

I've got to guess that it's a horrifically inefficient method in use there. Not that the heating oil systems are exactly efficient anyway.

Aug 29, 2005, 09:09
Enahs

Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 09:09
Aug 29, 2005, 09:09
 Enahs

They don't have summer-winter hookups in your area?

I personally have never seen/heard of anyone ever using the same source for heating a house to heat water. I guess it does sorta make sense. But I will stick with electricity and natural gas thank you.

That's not a toy! “ –Frylock, “You say that about everything you own. You should own toys. They're fun.” –MasterShake.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 29, 2005, 07:49
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 07:49
Aug 29, 2005, 07:49

Heating oil? Heating oil? Who the fuck is using heating oil when it's so god damn hot?

They don't have summer-winter hookups in your area?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=14627

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
teh m4y0r ownz a GabeN b4ckp4k
http://www.azurebrigade.com
- WoW Guild / Board
-TPFKAS2S

Aug 29, 2005, 07:01
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 07:01
Aug 29, 2005, 07:01

Hearing on the radio that Katrina just hit the Louisiana coast. Good luck, people.

Aug 29, 2005, 04:41
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 04:41
Aug 29, 2005, 04:41

I live in CA, but in the middle of that big oval of reduced seiamic threat in the middle of the state. We don't worry about no stinking earthquakes here.
Heh North Dakota is the place to be

Aug 29, 2005, 01:28
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 01:28
Aug 29, 2005, 01:28

The biggest problem is cost and architects. Plain rectangular reinforced concrete houses without windows and other exterior openings would do well in many natural disasters. All you uppety folks who want things like picture windows and eaves on your roofs and something besides concrete walls to look at have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Seriously, here's a bit on earthquake maps/codes for the US:

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/prepare/factsheets/RiskMaps/

America's first line of defense against earthquakes has historically been the construction of buildings that can withstand severe shaking. Cities and counties rely on the seismic design provisions in building codes to ensure that structures can resist earthquakes. The variations in the seismic threat across the country are depicted on maps in building codes as zones of different risk levels. These building-code maps are based on more detailed shaking-hazard maps prepared by U.S. Government scientists.

National maps of the earthquake shaking hazard in the United States have been produced since 1948. Scientists revise these maps as new earthquake studies improve their understanding of this hazard. After thorough review, professional organizations of engineers in turn update the seismic-risk maps and seismic design provisions contained in building codes. More than 20,000 cities, counties, and local government agencies use building codes, such as the Uniform Building Code, to help establish the construction requirements necessary to preserve public health and safety in earthquakes.

Same goes for wind loading, snow loading, frost heave, etc.

I live in CA, but in the middle of that big oval of reduced seiamic threat in the middle of the state. We don't worry about no stinking earthquakes here.

*** Warhawk ***

I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Aug 29, 2005, 00:23
Re: Katrina Aug 29, 2005, 00:23
Aug 29, 2005, 00:23

Cause I saw 'em build houses in Newfoundland, and I wouldn't expect those to stand up to much in the way of weather.

Well, first off, NFLD is in Canada, so US housing codes don't even vaguely apply.

As Enahs says, housing codes vary. There are certain basic ones that virtually all states/counties/cities comply to (codes are determined at that level roughly -- states make certain minimums, which are generally very broad. Counties then adopt more strict codes. Depending on how the state laws work, a city/township may have local authority instead of the county). For instance, all bedrooms must have a window for a secondary escape route, all bathrooms must have some form of ventillation (window or fan), there are plumbing and electrical standards, etc.

Now in certain areas of the country the codes are extremely rigorous. California probably has the toughest codes, at least for anywhere that is potentially affected by an earthquake. Florida is probably second due to hurricane proofing -- modern construction in Florida is supposed to be able to withstand 150 mph winds without damage. That's pretty damn tough (and it doesn't cost much more to do either -- it's mainly using additional ties between structural members and using hurricane proof glass... which has the added benefit of being very high efficiency).

Now the issue is that many of these codes are relatively recent. Anything built in Florida pre-Andrew (1992) was under much less rigorous codes -- code which proved to be insufficient. Ditto for anything in California that wasn't built in the last 10 years. We've learned a lot about earthquake proofing in that time. The flipside is that there are some things you simply cannot stand up against. A category 5 hurricane is one -- the only things in its direct path that will survive are hardened concrete bunkers. And tornadoes will destroy absolutely anything they hit.

Part of the problem is that coastal land has become absurdly popular and expensive. People literally build houses on sandbars which is pretty much doomed to vanish in the face of a large storm like this. And while you can get insurance to pay for the loss of house, you can't insure the loss of land, so if your plot suddenly becomes ocean again then you're SOL.

A nation (or state) of children
Aug 28, 2005, 23:56
A nation (or state) of children Aug 28, 2005, 23:56
Aug 28, 2005, 23:56

California seems to be going overboard sometimes. I recently found this in the instruction booklet that came with my digital camera's battery charger:

Notice for customers in the State of California
WARNING:
Handling the cord on this product will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Apparently, if you're not from California, you have nothing to worry about

Seriously, if they end up putting warning labels on just about everything, they might as well not bother. People will just ignore them, just like they should ignore that BS about handling the charger's power cord...

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 23:57.

Aug 28, 2005, 23:25
Re: Katrina Aug 28, 2005, 23:25
Aug 28, 2005, 23:25

Aug 28, 2005, 21:57
Re: Katrina Aug 28, 2005, 21:57
Aug 28, 2005, 21:57

Heating oil? Heating oil? Who the fuck is using heating oil when it's so god damn hot?

People around here (New England) are already freaking out about the price of heating oil. Most companies have already stopped pre-selling it because they simply can't be sure that the stocks will last long enough.

I do it the old fashioned way: wood. Use oil as a backup, get most of the heat from the stove. Wasn't worth it a few years back, but with oil getting so expensive it is now.

Obligatory GW part: Capes!

---
"Pain, or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back." -Al Swearengen

Guild Wars: Alia Arjel Mo/N

Aug 28, 2005, 21:26
Enahs

Re: Katrina Aug 28, 2005, 21:26
Aug 28, 2005, 21:26
 Enahs

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050829/bs_nm/markets_oil_dc

There ya go. You know oil will hit $100 under Bush before he's done and/or the country tanks first.

From the article:
Oil product and natural gas prices also shot higher to records, with gasoline soaring 10 percent to $2.13 a gallon and heating oil rocketing past $2 a gallon for the first time. Natural gas prices were up 20 percent.

- W. C. Fields

Aug 28, 2005, 21:25
Enahs

Re: Katrina Aug 28, 2005, 21:25
Aug 28, 2005, 21:25
 Enahs

About the destruction these hurricanes cause. How much of that is due to how houses are built in North America? 'Cause I saw 'em build houses in Newfoundland, and I wouldn't expect those to stand up to much in the way of weather.

Houses in different parts are engineered very differently.

Why would a house being built in the north east worry about a hurricane? When was the last hurricane in that area? Or serious earth quake, ect? No…they just have to build really strong roofs that resist the weight of snow and solid foundations that will not buckle when the ground freezes. Vice versa, why would somebody in southern California care about snow proofing a roof or “freeze” proofing the foundation? They got to worry about earth quakes and heat.

I'm not flaming here, just wondering if it's only in NFLD that houses are crap, or if that's the general trend?

Set aside that wherever you go someone will build a house very poorly to save money…what you saw as something that you would not expect to do well in bad “weather” does not have to do well in “bad weather”…just one very particular kind of “bad weather”.

- W. C. Fields

Aug 28, 2005, 21:22
Re: Katrina Aug 28, 2005, 21:22
Aug 28, 2005, 21:22

I'll be rather surprised if it doesn't hit that tomorrow, followed by much higher in the next few days. Depends on the damage levels, but they're predicting for no services (power, water, sewer) in the affected area for weeks or months.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050829/bs_nm/markets_oil_dc

There ya go. You know oil will hit $100 under Bush before he's done and/or the country tanks first.

"Well...here's to feelin' good all the time!"
- Kramer
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: No subject
Aug 28, 2005, 21:14
Re: No subject Aug 28, 2005, 21:14
Aug 28, 2005, 21:14

Why is divorce so expensive?

It's worth it!

"Well...here's to feelin' good all the time!"
- Kramer
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

No subject
Aug 28, 2005, 21:00
No subject Aug 28, 2005, 21:00
Aug 28, 2005, 21:00

Well technically he's right. They are cunts. Just they have the ability to walk talk and just ruin your life

Ah I just got back from Creamfields today, what a good time that was. Pity it was filled with chavs, and an even greater pity that 4 or 5 people got stabbed over the course of the evening. How police/secruity faiiled to frisk and catch those instruments of pain i dont know. However i do know that Faithless live is very good. Basement Jaxx however is, well, a big pile of spooge.

plus, that Hot Biscuit thing is classic. I wonder how many other sim games you can do that in

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older