More on Unlocked BF2 Weapons

The Battlefield 2 Website (thanks Frans) now offers a new community update with more on the weapons that were prematurely unlocked on the Battlefield 2 ranked servers for some players yesterday (story). Here's the deal:
Profiles with all Weapons Unlocked

Many users logged into Battlefield 2 today to discover that they had access to all of the game's weapons unlocked in their profile. We have fixed the root issue that caused this to occur and by tomorrow morning all users will return to having access only to the weapons which they had earned. Once our solution is in place, if you find that you do not have access to weapons appropriate to your in-game rank, please direct inquiries to the Support sites linked below. In some cases users may be prompted to re-select the Unlock weapons that they are eligible for (if you are eligible for two weapons you will get to choose the two you wish to have unlocked).

Users in the U.S., please visit http://eatech.custhelp.com to report your technical issue and one of our Support representatives will help you out ASAP.

If you are in Europe, visit the following link for support information/contacts. click here for EU Support
View : : :
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Do the math
Jul 26, 2005, 10:48
Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 10:48
Jul 26, 2005, 10:48

How about this:

make the requirements to get more than 2 weapon unlocks attainable in this lifetime.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: Do the math
Jul 26, 2005, 11:04
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 11:04
Jul 26, 2005, 11:04

I like the idea of unlocking weapons, and yeah it seems like it'd be near impossible to get more than 2 weapons unlocked in the lifetime of the game. Although, there's nothing stopping anyone from starting a new account or accounts...

Anyway, after trying out all the packs last night it seems like there aren't any major differences in the unlocked weapons.

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.

Jul 26, 2005, 11:06
Bru
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 11:06
Jul 26, 2005, 11:06
Bru

What do you mean? The second unlock only takes 10,500 points, which is only 9,500 points from the first unlock. Figure 50 points a round, average 10 minute rounds, that should only take, let's see...carry the one...find the square root...divide the remainder...~30 hours???

Considering it took me a month to get the first unlock, I'll be seeing my second unlock sometime after the next space shuttle launch.

Shop smart. Shop S Mart!
-Ash, Housewares
~~~~~~~~~~
Did you ever walk into a room and forget why? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
-- Sue Murphy

Jul 26, 2005, 11:10
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 11:10
Jul 26, 2005, 11:10

I dunno... I'm thinking at my current pace I should have my second unlock in 3 weeks.

Jul 26, 2005, 11:17
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 11:17
Jul 26, 2005, 11:17

Considering it took me a month to get the first unlock, I'll be seeing my second unlock sometime after the next space shuttle launch.

...and the 3rd unlock shortly after the Shuttle (generation 4) on its trip to the Titan terraforming project.

Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jul 26, 2005, 11:32
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 11:32
Jul 26, 2005, 11:32

make the requirements to get more than 2 weapon unlocks attainable in this lifetime

Hell, make getting the 2nd lock attainable in a reasonable amount of time. The only people that I've seen with it so far are chopper whores. If you have a good Blackhawk pilot and a full squad w/ the right build out (2 eng, a medic or two, a support, and the rest assault using grenade launchers) then >150 pts/round is easily attainable on some maps, almost all from fast flag caps.

Jul 26, 2005, 12:24
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 12:24
Jul 26, 2005, 12:24

Hey now, there are 2 types on Heli Whores. The Assault ones and the Transport ones. The Transport Heli Whores are getting 'nerfed' in the next patch. I fly to keep me and my gunner alive, not to flag whore. (but that's fun to do as well in the first few mins of any map.)

Jul 26, 2005, 13:00
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 13:00
Jul 26, 2005, 13:00

I don't mind the power of the assault choppers. What pisses me off is they are too hard to take out from the gound, and if your team doesn't have a decent pilot to counter the other team, you are screwed.

Last night on a server of decent players, I watched two guys own my entire team map after map. No one on my team was worth a damn as a pilot, and ground to air weapons are all but useless except for close range encounters. I use the anti-tank class against enemy choppers all the time. Pretty much mastered the Rocket Launcher.

Not exactly sure why you can put a rocket at an infantry player's feet though, and 75% of the time you only do minor damage to them. Then they shoot you in the forehead.

---
Would someone please make an expansion for King Pin: Life of Crime
This comment was edited on Jul 26, 13:09.
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Jul 26, 2005, 13:04
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 13:04
Jul 26, 2005, 13:04

Who said the Transport Heli pilots are getting nerfed, and why?

Jul 26, 2005, 13:13
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 13:13
Jul 26, 2005, 13:13

ground to air weapons are all but useless except for close range encounters

I've gotten a bit better at using the stationary AA, but they still suck. Badly. They appear to only be of real use at extremely close range w/ a straight shot or medium range. Short range they won't be able to arc fast enough and long range they'll be outrun (interesting universe where a chopper can outrun a MISSILE).

I've completely given up figuring out when the missile will decide to track something other than my locked target. I often wind up with team damage/kills because of the stingers -- even if I don't even see a friendly in the air when I fire, I have a lock on the enemy, and they have no chaff/flares to use.

Plus choppers can take absurd amounts of hits from stingers -- I've hit an assault chopper with 3 stingers (I saw them hit) an it didn't blow up. I've hit a MEC/Chinese transport chopper with two in the tail and it didn't blow up (it was heavily damaged and most of the crew bailed).

And all of the ground AA, mobile or stationary, is just fodder for any decent jet pilots. They can dive bomb/strafe you without you having any hope at all of getting them.

Give me back the damn flak guns from BF1942.

No subject
Jul 26, 2005, 13:16
No subject Jul 26, 2005, 13:16
Jul 26, 2005, 13:16

Ya this unlocking is bullshit. I play the game about an hour or 2 a day since it's release and only got the first unlock. I'm not even NEAR the half way mark to get the 2nd unlock and yet I get nearly gold medals on every server I play on and at the top of the score list. This is saddening me because what more does it take? Play the entire day? This is really lame, though at least I got to preview all the unlocks with this bug or whatever. I've unlocked the medic gun previously, though if I get to rechoose, I'm going with the assault and then the anti tank gun. The rest are lame.

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao

Jul 26, 2005, 13:19
Re: Do the math Jul 26, 2005, 13:19
Jul 26, 2005, 13:19

Who said the Transport Heli pilots are getting nerfed, and why?

EA/Dice did, and because a fully loaded transport chopper can cap a flag in about 3 seconds without even having to land (e.g. -- immune to artillary).

The amount of firepower that it can bring to bear is tremendous (support pilot (squad lead), 2 medics as gunners, 2 assault, 2 engineers -- the eng continuously repair, the assaults use their grenade launchers, the gunners gun -- makes it extremely hard to kill with unlimited ammo for the assaults).

Re: No subject
Jul 26, 2005, 13:20
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 13:20
Jul 26, 2005, 13:20

What cracks me up is that I'm a Lance Corporal and I keep waiting to see that progress bar move a little bit toward Corporal, but it doesn't I put 6 hours in the other night, and it barely moved. Ouch.

I don't care much about the unlocks. They don't seem to matter. For example, I unlocked the alternate medic rifle. It's nice and accurate but I think it shoots BBs. Takes like 30 hits from any distance to kill someone.

BTW, it may sound like Im ripping on the game. I actually love it. It just needs a couple balance passes, and the obvious bug fixes.

---
Can we have a real space program please? One that doesn't require pyrotechnics would be great.
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Jul 26, 2005, 13:24
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 13:24
Jul 26, 2005, 13:24

've unlocked the medic gun previously, though if I get to rechoose, I'm going with the assault and then the anti tank gun. The rest are lame.

I greatly prefer the unlocked medic gun -- it has more damage than the default US gun and is full auto. The zoom seems better too. I haven't tried the assault gun, but since you lose the grenade launcher if you use it I can't imagine it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

The anti-tank gun is a shotgun... haven't used it, but it's got worse stats than the default engineer shotgun. No thanks.

The unlocked engineer shotgun is pretty useful -- a little less damage in a single shot, but you can easily unload 2-3 shots which will kill anyone close enough. Engineers suck for gun combat though.

Haven't tried the unlocked special forces gun yet, but it has significantly less recoil than the standard one.

Jul 26, 2005, 13:51
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 13:51
Jul 26, 2005, 13:51

I absolutely dig my jackhammer! The anti-tank shotgun isn't bad at all. It'll prolly be my next unlock. I like shotguns... My weapon of choice is a tank though.

Jul 26, 2005, 13:58
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 13:58
Jul 26, 2005, 13:58

Oh man I should stop reading these threads. I need to upgrade my GF4 before getting and playing the game, but of course getting a new graphics card entails getting a new mobo, entails getting new RAM and a new CPU and a new HSF and oh maybe a new case entails me not playing BF2 for a while. I'll stick to the BF2 bashing threads, I guess.

Jul 26, 2005, 14:01
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 14:01
Jul 26, 2005, 14:01

I don't care much about the unlocks. They don't seem to matter. For example, I unlocked the alternate medic rifle. It's nice and accurate but I think it shoots BBs. Takes like 30 hits from any distance to kill someone.

I agree. Although the "unlocked weapons" is nice. I don't see a need for anything past what you already receive. I chose the assault rifle, and although it is nice to take someone out with fewer rounds, it has fewer rounds, and no thumper under the barrel for support.

Oh well. The default weapons are just fine. There are other things they need to work on.

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952 (back online 7/14/05)

No subject
Jul 26, 2005, 14:20
No subject Jul 26, 2005, 14:20
Jul 26, 2005, 14:20

Are they fixing this right now? my friend and I cannot login to the account server. It just freezes there. The entire PC freezes. I have to disconnect my router so the game will give up waiting for a response. God forbid they should put 1 line of code in there for a timeout, after maybe 10 minutes.

I bet they are fixing it now, because now would be the perfect time, in fact, they should bring down the account server every week for maintenence, how about tuesdays, from 9am-12pm pacific.

Jul 26, 2005, 14:26
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 14:26
Jul 26, 2005, 14:26

Same here. It could so do with a timeout. Ho hum still it will give me a chance to eat.

No subject
Jul 26, 2005, 14:27
No subject Jul 26, 2005, 14:27
Jul 26, 2005, 14:27

LoL, how about no. This isn't WoW. It's just statistics they are trying to keep track of. As for the unlockable assault gun. It's got 20 rounds(which is less than default), and is quite accurate and strong. This makes up for the lack of grenade launcher add-on though inplace they give you regular grenade for that slot. It sorta balances itself out. Also, the M4 is so much better than the medic unlock it's not even compared. The medic unlock is terribly weak and inaccurate while the burst fire of the M4 is accurate and strong. The anti-tank unlock is also stronger than the engi unlock/engi default, that's why I'd choose it. I'm also not going by reading bs of which is better and whatnot, I'm going by playing experience with these.

Face your Fears, Live your Dreams, No Fear -Manny Pacquiao
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer