More on Unlocked BF2 Weapons

The Battlefield 2 Website (thanks Frans) now offers a new community update with more on the weapons that were prematurely unlocked on the Battlefield 2 ranked servers for some players yesterday (story). Here's the deal:
Profiles with all Weapons Unlocked

Many users logged into Battlefield 2 today to discover that they had access to all of the game's weapons unlocked in their profile. We have fixed the root issue that caused this to occur and by tomorrow morning all users will return to having access only to the weapons which they had earned. Once our solution is in place, if you find that you do not have access to weapons appropriate to your in-game rank, please direct inquiries to the Support sites linked below. In some cases users may be prompted to re-select the Unlock weapons that they are eligible for (if you are eligible for two weapons you will get to choose the two you wish to have unlocked).

Users in the U.S., please visit http://eatech.custhelp.com to report your technical issue and one of our Support representatives will help you out ASAP.

If you are in Europe, visit the following link for support information/contacts. click here for EU Support
View : : :
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Support
Jul 27, 2005, 04:24
Re: Support Jul 27, 2005, 04:24
Jul 27, 2005, 04:24

As mainly a Heli Pilot I pretty much know what to watch out for, especially any sort of Jeeps, or rocket/AA emplacements. But the trick is actually finding people who know what to watch for as well.
While a APC might chew the armor off my heli, a gunner in a jeep/buggy is more dangerous cause he can shoot through the cockpit and kill me or my gunner. I can't tell ya how many times I've been killed and then watch the heli go spinning around in circles with the gunner not doing anything but just waiting to crash. Also funny to watch the gunner get killed and see him body stooped forward in his seat as well. I wish I could make macros, cause I useually have to tell gunners, 'ok this is the order of blowing crap up, AA vehicles first, ground emplacements second, everything else 3rd'. Many times I've just sat hovering over a flag to cap it, while some soldier on the ground is unloading his gun into the heli. While I MAY look 1 slot of armor I just sorta laugh.
People just need to figure out that they need the right tools for the right job. Assault Rifle vs a Tank, ain't gonna do it, but a Rocket Launcher or c4 might...

And Batman honestly I love heli battles especially if you are both good pilots with good gunners. Especially on the Dam map. But then again I like to 'sneak' up on tanks and AA vehicles by flying 5 feet off the ground and following the roads, which is needed in the one USA/China map, cause of all the damn AA vehicles.

Jul 26, 2005, 18:24
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 18:24
Jul 26, 2005, 18:24

I wish more people would realize that the .50 guns on HMMVs and other jeep like vehicles chew up helicopters.

This is also one of my fav pasttimes. I drive aronud a hummer myself if no one wants to join the fun and chase down choppers. Can even use both guns by switching back and fourth if one overheats. Take do some serious damage!

/edit: WOOHOOO! Was playing cat and mouse with a chopper AND HIS GUNNER! And took him out by driving at hime everytime he turned around. He couldn't get an angle on me and I went through both guns a few times and then took off at a 20% angle off of their left or right side, whipped it around before they did an lit his belly up! heheheh I love it.

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952
I play violent video games.
I have played all of the GTA games and I am not a criminal - according to the government, I am an anomaly.
This comment was edited on Jul 27, 01:12.

Jul 26, 2005, 17:58
DDI
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 17:58
Jul 26, 2005, 17:58
DDI

I wish more people would realize that the .50 guns on HMMVs and other jeep like vehicles chew up helicopters.

Jul 26, 2005, 17:47
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 17:47
Jul 26, 2005, 17:47

You won't see many support players on servers.

As far as I'm concerned, that has little to do with a flaw in the class and more to do with players always wanting to be uber and at the top of the scoreboard instead of helping their team to win.

While you're right that a support unit alone won't do much damage unless it's close range, there is perhaps a reason why they're called 'support' and not 'assault'.

Team a support class up with an Engi and you can lay enough mines to defend a small base with just two people.

Team a support with a Spec Ops and you can take down every single piece of enemy commo equipment without help and without a supply drop.

Team a support with an AT and you can take down a ton of vehicles without running out of ammo (assuming you don't get blown to bits by the return fire).

Werd. Some of my best scores have been during the use of support. Strike at karkand being my fav for support. And the Sharqui Peninsula. Keep the snipers full of ammo and C4 at the ready for Spec Ops.

I have played all of the GTA games and I am not a criminal - according to the government, I am an anomaly.

Jul 26, 2005, 17:27
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 17:27
Jul 26, 2005, 17:27

You won't see many support players on servers.

As far as I'm concerned, that has little to do with a flaw in the class and more to do with players always wanting to be uber and at the top of the scoreboard instead of helping their team to win.

While you're right that a support unit alone won't do much damage unless it's close range, there is perhaps a reason why they're called 'support' and not 'assault'.

Team a support class up with an Engi and you can lay enough mines to defend a small base with just two people.

Team a support with a Spec Ops and you can take down every single piece of enemy commo equipment without help and without a supply drop.

Team a support with an AT and you can take down a ton of vehicles without running out of ammo (assuming you don't get blown to bits by the return fire).

Re: No subject
Jul 26, 2005, 17:16
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 17:16
Jul 26, 2005, 17:16

1. After a clean install you can start BF2 and are given the choice to play multiplayer or single player. Choosing Single player will just start up the game normally and you can play against bots. Choosing Multiplayer requires login from then on.

A clean install is not necessary at all. When you get to the login screen, even if I've already got an online (read: multiplayer) account, all you need do is click on the manage accounts button and create a single player account. No information is sent to or from EA's master servers in the creation or use of an offline single-player account in BF2. The only time it connects to the masters is if you log in with your online multiplayer account and then choose to play single player. It's a bit needlessly complicated, but you -can- play without needing an internet connection or without any information exchanged.

For reference, I checked this by enabling my protowall to block anything going to EA and created myself an offline account to play sp. Not a peep in the log about any contact permitted or denied.

The Nonexistant Hack
Jul 26, 2005, 17:06
The Nonexistant Hack Jul 26, 2005, 17:06
Jul 26, 2005, 17:06

I'm surprised nobody's commented on the fact that EA has completely dodged the "hack" issue. They don't mention once that it was actually somebody that hacked into the BF2 stats system and changed them, they just said it was a "root issue".

I probably would've done the same in EA's position, as it would just give more notoriety to the hacker, and that's exactly what he wants.

Jul 26, 2005, 16:53
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 16:53
Jul 26, 2005, 16:53

Then we have the steam-esque copy protection which is even worse than steam becuase we have to log in to the master server just to play single player. Why has no one complained about the BF2 copy protection when everyone went apeshit over steam? Did no one notice that it was there? Surely you all have realised that whenever you want to play any of BF2 you have to log in?

I can answer that!

2 Very important differences.

1. After a clean install you can start BF2 and are given the choice to play multiplayer or single player. Choosing Single player will just start up the game normally and you can play against bots. Choosing Multiplayer requires login from then on.

2. The demo demonstrated the login and the fact that 99% of the games content is designed around online play it came as no surprise.

Unpaid Employee and Fanboy of DICE and anything BF2.

Jul 26, 2005, 16:49
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 16:49
Jul 26, 2005, 16:49

Why has no one complained about the BF2 copy protection when everyone went apeshit over steam?

Because BF2 is primarily if not exclusively a multiplayer game while HL2 as such is primarily a single player game. People rarely want to play BF2 when they don't have an internet connection, this isn't true for HL2. (Apparently - personally, I don't really care if I have to sign in as long as the login server is stable.)

When a hideous crime is committed, the public is only outraged the first time. Or something......

/nuttin'

Jul 26, 2005, 16:48
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 16:48
Jul 26, 2005, 16:48

OL just checked top game servers by accident and noticed BF2 has fallen off the face of the earth, heh.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

Anybody care to tell how BF2 pwns HL2 now?

All the kids got tired of killing the services and actually went outside to play during summer break.

Those of us who have jobs aren't at home playing, as it is still work hours in the majority of the US.

Can't speak for the rest of the world....maybe that is the 7000 poeple playing right now.

Jul 26, 2005, 16:41
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 16:41
Jul 26, 2005, 16:41

Why has no one complained about the BF2 copy protection when everyone went apeshit over steam?
Because BF2 is primarily if not exclusively a multiplayer game while HL2 as such is primarily a single player game. People rarely want to play BF2 when they don't have an internet connection, this isn't true for HL2. (Apparently - personally, I don't really care if I have to sign in as long as the login server is stable.)

Jul 26, 2005, 16:35
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 16:35
Jul 26, 2005, 16:35

LOL just checked top game servers by accident and noticed BF2 has fallen off the face of the earth, heh.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

Anybody care to tell how BF2 pwns HL2 now?

No subject
Jul 26, 2005, 16:25
No subject Jul 26, 2005, 16:25

I like how EA an Co. just 'effed over there master server. Now no one can play.

Then we have the steam-esque copy protection which is even worse than steam becuase we have to log in to the master server just to play single player. Why has no one complained about the BF2 copy protection when everyone went apeshit over steam? Did no one notice that it was there? Surely you all have realised that whenever you want to play any of BF2 you have to log in?

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 16:26.

Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 16:25

I'm trying to login to the account servers to play BF2 but unfortunately I can't. And EA/DICE were not bothered to put in a timeout for the login server process. The only way to close BF2 when it can't get into the account servers is to kill its process. Since everyone has to login, how long before people launch denial of service attacks against the login/stat servers? This is rediculous. Worse than fucking steam.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 16:30.

Jul 26, 2005, 16:22
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 16:22
Jul 26, 2005, 16:22

But try doing that at medium range and you are up for disappointment. Like I said, this gun was the first gun I unlocked and it's horribly innacurate which makes it worthless in all but short range situations. As for firing against attack choppers or transport choppers, the targets are larger but you will usually get killed by other people before you can make a chopper run away because they will see your barrel flash as you are firing it.

I am actually a little smarter about my attacks. As I usually get under the belly of a chopper when they are trying to cap flags. They spin like an idiot if they are uneducated and sometimes crash. Most of the time they just take off. Only a moron would run out in the open and try and take on a heli from the 0-180 degree position. A safe spot is usually between 210-330.
I know that. But if the have 2 or 3 engineers onbaord with a supply guy and a medic or 2 they won't be taken down by the PKM or made to run away from it. It can't do damage faster than the 2 or 3 engineers can repair it.

Jul 26, 2005, 16:13
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 16:13
Jul 26, 2005, 16:13

But try doing that at medium range and you are up for disappointment. Like I said, this gun was the first gun I unlocked and it's horribly innacurate which makes it worthless in all but short range situations. As for firing against attack choppers or transport choppers, the targets are larger but you will usually get killed by other people before you can make a chopper run away because they will see your barrel flash as you are firing it.

I am actually a little smarter about my attacks. As I usually get under the belly of a chopper when they are trying to cap flags. They spin like an idiot if they are uneducated and sometimes crash. Most of the time they just take off. Only a moron would run out in the open and try and take on a heli from the 0-180 degree position. A safe spot is usually between 210-330.

It is not a sin to let the enemy cap the flag with a chopper and then recap when they fly off. This is used by my squad a lot. Sometimes letting a cap happen and then they drive off is the best offense. You don't win the game by playing Rambo.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 16:14.

Jul 26, 2005, 16:00
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 16:00
Jul 26, 2005, 16:00

The PK Support gun uses 7.62MM rounds which hit harder than the M249. You can actually put some good damage on a van or jeep with it and if you're cagey enough you can even put quite a bit of damage in a helo to make them run away.

It's not great for long range distance but at medium ranges it can really knock someone down quick.
According to the strategy guide the PKM is second only to the unlockable sniper rifle in the game in terms of damage per hit. However getting it to hit anything from medium or long range is very hard, even when prone and using the sights, the tracers fly off at impossible angles, nowhere near where the sights are pointing. It was my first unlocked weapon and I have tried to use it, and it's really good if you are inside a house prone, camping waiting for someone to enter. At that range all your bullets will hit. But try doing that at medium range and you are up for disappointment. Like I said, this gun was the first gun I unlocked and it's horribly innacurate which makes it worthless in all but short range situations. As for firing against attack choppers or transport choppers, the targets are larger but you will usually get killed by other people before you can make a chopper run away because they will see your barrel flash as you are firing it.

This is a warning, unless EA improves the support weapons accuracy in general, don't unlock this weapon, you will be very disappointed. Don't let my mistake be your mistake. Also to further give evidence of how bad the support weapons are in general, look at the top player stats, notice that none of them play support at all. I rarely see support guys in servers and it's all because how horribly innacurate their weapons are.

Furthermore according to the strategy guide and websites that have done the weapon testing, the support weapons on all sides are actually weaker per hit than the AK variants. Which is rediculous. In the previous BF games they had the support weapons be rediculously accurate so they were like long range fast firing sniper rifles. But they really nerfed them too much to try to balance them in BF2. A that isn't accurate is worthless no matter how much damage it does if it hits. You won't see many support players on servers.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 16:04.

Jul 26, 2005, 15:42
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 15:42
Jul 26, 2005, 15:42

Kinda funny, I always read about the 'blackhawk exploit' but I have yet to see it in action...

I don't play video games... I play murder simulators.

Jul 26, 2005, 15:40
Re: Support Jul 26, 2005, 15:40
Jul 26, 2005, 15:40

he PK Support gun uses 7.62MM rounds which hit harder than the M249. You can actually put some good damage on a van or jeep with it and if you're cagey enough you can even put quite a bit of damage in a helo to make them run away.

It's not great for long range distance but at medium ranges it can really knock someone down quick.

I have noticed that a full mag of support ammo will make a chopper take off very quickly. This gives you time to reload and someone to jump in and help. 2-3 support dudes can take down a chopper kind of fast.

/edit: In regards to sc4r4b's next post. It is actually pretty cool. I don't understand why it is considered an exploit. Take the chopper down, gets lots of points! You can cap a flag in about 2-3 seconds though.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 15:51.

Jul 26, 2005, 15:39
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2005, 15:39
Jul 26, 2005, 15:39

Their solution probably involves trying to go after whoever hacked them with lawyers; the paperwork is probably being filed right now. Their accountants are busy calculating up their financial losses due to this that are most likely astronomical.

Probably get Congress involved. (can't believe I am crossing threads)

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older