Out of the Blue

I installed my replacement for my replacement motherboard last night, and things went smoothly. It's still not running without blue-screening at 1600x1200, but seems stable and happy at lower resolutions, and running considerably faster with the NForce 3 chipset than the SiS based mobo I replaced. It was a lengthy project, but on the bright side, after removing and replacing the motherboard so often in such a short time, I really got all the cables and such routed just exactly how I want them. That's arguably not really worth all the trouble I went through, but such is the nature of optimism.

R.I.P.: Doctor Who Made Atlantic Crossing Dies.

Linking up! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Play Time: Sugar Crash.
Link: I just wanted a video game, not eternal damnation in hell. Thanks Balrog.
Stories: How Costco Became the Anti-Wal-Mart.
Oil industry awash in record levels of cash. Thanks Domeas.
Police send nude shopper home with warning. Thanks Eye 4N Eye.
Blog: Backstroke of the West. Thanks SeaRaptor.
Science! Details of US microwave-weapon tests revealed.
Studies Say We Learn to Fib While Young.
Scrubbing Bubbles Hit the Streets. They do the work, so you don't have tooooooo!
Media: Cool French Ad. Thanks Jim.
Follow-ups: Indie flash based puzzle game attracts attention.
View : : :
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 23, 2005, 11:42
Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 23, 2005, 11:42
Jul 23, 2005, 11:42

its time for americans to wake up and take thier country back. I have family in the states and they are all looking to get out, they see the light at the end of the tunnel and its not pretty.

Looking to GET OUT? And go where? Maybe they'll go to Mexico where thousands of people flock over to the US weekly. There should be some nice properties available...

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 11:42.

Jul 23, 2005, 10:37
Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 23, 2005, 10:37
Jul 23, 2005, 10:37

Only if you actually run two heavy apps at the same time...

Jul 23, 2005, 02:33
Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 23, 2005, 02:33
Jul 23, 2005, 02:33

As I understand it, coding multi-threaded is really hard, so it's not really done much in desktop software. (Why bother; the processors are all single core anyways.)
Even if an application cannot utilize more than one proc (whether physical or dual-core), processes are still going to be split over both cores individually. eg: you may have Photoshop using one proc and another cpu-intensive application using the other. In the end, you're still much further ahead than if you had only one cpu/core.

Re: No subject
Jul 23, 2005, 02:29
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2005, 02:29
Jul 23, 2005, 02:29

I had always been under the impression that it never hurts to go for the larger power supply
It's better to spend the money on a high-quality 350W PSU than it is just to go for pure wattage from generic-brand-power-supply-company. Clean power beats more power every day of the week.
What about RAM? 1 Gig should be enough right?
Here's where it never hurts to go more. If I were putting a machine together today, I'd go with 2G. RAM is dirt cheap so why not? But again, quality first.

Jul 23, 2005, 02:26
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2005, 02:26
Jul 23, 2005, 02:26

I would skip the SLI mobo unless you plan on buying 2 vid cards right now. From everything I've read, SLI needs to be from two cards that are exactly the same from manufacturing, and have the exact same BIOS lvl, etc. or they won't work together.

Actually this article over at Hard|OCP states that the situation is about to change...

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Nzk4LDU=

Cat and Mouse

It seems for everything ATI announces, NVIDIA counters with “simple” driver updates. First, one key feature of CrossFire was its ability to use video cards with different BIOSs from different manufacturers. Well, SLI already allows you to combine cards that have different revisions of BIOSs, and, in Release 80 of ForceWare, you will soon be able to combine cards from different manufacturers. The second big feature of CrossFire was its ability to be application independent. That is, if there was no profile specified for a game, it would run in SuperTile rendering mode. Accordingly, with current NVIDIA drivers, you can now enable a global Multi-GPU mode of Alternate Frame Rendering 1 or 2, or Split Frame Rendering for every game that does not have a profile. Finally, CrossFire was going to introduce a cool technology known as SuperAA that combined Antialiasing sample patterns to create a higher quality image. Well, today NVIDIA is showing that they can do that too. The big difference between the two companies is that NVIDIA’s solution is available now while ATI’s solution hasn’t even hit the store shelves yet. NVIDIA even gained an advantage over ATI by having the SLI AA modes work in both Direct3D and OpenGL. SLI AA works on every single SLI configuration available form NVIDIA.

---------------------------------------------------
[Brought to you by Firefox, Greasemonkey and my Post Enhancer script!]
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/bluesnewspostenhancer.user.js
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

No subject
Jul 22, 2005, 21:14
No subject Jul 22, 2005, 21:14
Jul 22, 2005, 21:14

Phew... too much work today for any comments from me. Finally I'm done and can go home and feel good with a whisky and SciFi friday

Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there!
listening to http://www.progulus.com/ a mountain stream of progressive, rock and metal

Nude shopper home with warning
Jul 22, 2005, 21:00
Nude shopper home with warning Jul 22, 2005, 21:00
Jul 22, 2005, 21:00

Police send nude shopper home with warning.

"We're a tolerant city that is open to the world," said spokesman Burkard Jahn. "She could have been arrested for disturbing the peace, but we decided to let her go home with a verbal warning to dress appropriately next time."

Surrrrrrrrrre. If it'd been a man, he would have been arrested and thrown in the can with a fine and probation.

Cool French Ad
Jul 22, 2005, 20:33
Cool French Ad Jul 22, 2005, 20:33
Jul 22, 2005, 20:33

"Cool French"? <sigh>

Not to harp on about WH and his problems (the birth control pill has killed thousands since it was released - it increases the chance of breast cancer. You'd be hard pushed to find an effective form of birth control which isn't more likely to make the woman die. I'm broadly pro-birth control as a result. Doesn't mean you shouldn't sue. They'll have set aside money for just such an event.) but this is just the same knee-jerk crap I expect to see from bleeding-heart liberals. Oh no, show the able bodied what it would be like to be in a world where the disabled are the majority... I'll tell you what it would be like - I'd be a fucking king. (In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king - in my teens I read a lot of 18th and 19th century fiction and that came from a jacket sleeve somewhere - possibly when I was reading Erewhon.) You can have all the wheelchairs in the world but if you want to chase me up some steps then go apply to Dalek pilot school. It's entirely possible to make every aspect of society accessible to diabled people (okay, not entirely) but what's the return? Business owners have to spend money making sure their premises are compliant but they can't charge diasbled users more. In effect the able-bodied subsidise the disabled. Again. Wouldn't it make more sense to just give the disabled a stipend to spend on getting lifted here and there as required instead of making everybody suffer just to accomodate them? I've seen stories where deaf people say they don't want implants to help them hear because they prefer their deaf culture. Fine, so long as they don't expect to be coddled anymore.

Re: The R.I.P. blurb
Jul 22, 2005, 20:22
Re: The R.I.P. blurb Jul 22, 2005, 20:22
Jul 22, 2005, 20:22

Yeah, I read that headline at least five times trying (and failing) to make any sense out of it, before realising that it wasn't about Doctor Who!

Jul 22, 2005, 18:31
Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 22, 2005, 18:31
Jul 22, 2005, 18:31

Glad to hear things are working out, kind of, Warhawk.

Jul 22, 2005, 17:38
Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 22, 2005, 17:38
Jul 22, 2005, 17:38

you are living in a capitalist country, even if your government does not call it that

Right on the fuckin' money. I will say this though: Capitalism with some government control (What we have, although the right-wing crypto-fascistoids people in parliament are toiling away every day to destroy it :)), is good. Just rampant turbo-capitalism is... well, evil.

I really like the classic elegance of your sig.

Warhawk, I'm happy to hear your mrs. is doing better.

EDIT: 'Bout the AMD X2 processors. As I understand it, coding multi-threaded is really hard, so it's not really done much in desktop software. (Why bother; the processors are all single core anyways.) So what it really depends on (Aside from X2 being stupidly expensive...), is how long you're gonna keep the machine in service. Not necessarily as you 'puter, but also if you give it to someone when you're done with it. Multi-threaded software looks like it'll arrive, but it's not here right now.

EDIT: Oh, and I apologize for using 'crypto-fascistoid' about people who are, in fact, not crypto-fascistoids at all. In fact they're the opposite. What they're in fact after, is something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night-watchman_state

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 18:09.

Jul 22, 2005, 16:59
Re: No subject Jul 22, 2005, 16:59
Jul 22, 2005, 16:59

Sounds like the consensus is dual core, definitely gonna take a look.

There are tradeoffs -- the dual cores are a lower actual speed than you might think. The X2 4200+ is 2.2 GHz w/ 512k L2 cache per, X2 4400+ is 2.2 w/ 1MB, X2 4600+ is 2.4 w/ 512k, X2 4800+ is 2.4 w/ 1MB. Comparatively the 4000+ is 2.4 GHz w/ 1 MB -- for a good bit less than even the X2 4200+.

Realize, however, that you can save $100 by just going down to the 3800+ (2.4 w/ 512k), $150 to the 3700+ (2.2 w/ 1MB), or $200 (nearly half the total cost) to the 3500+ (2.2 w/ 512k). There is less than a 10% performance difference between the 3500+ and the 4000+.

had always been under the impression that it never hurts to go for the larger power supply, and that skimping here can hurt overall system stability

A larger PSU will probably be less efficient, plus it'll cost you more initially. The people who have problems with their PSUs generally buy crappy ones to start with. If your 400W PSU is a good brand and has good numbers on the 5V and 12V lines then it'll work just fine.

Honestly, I'd buy a more reasonably priced CPU and keep the current PSU. Either pocket the money or spend it on more RAM.

Jul 22, 2005, 16:38
Re: No subject Jul 22, 2005, 16:38
Jul 22, 2005, 16:38

That's actually a reasonably good suggestion if you're going to plunk down that kind of cash anyway (I wouldn't buy a 4000+; utterly silly price for negligible extra performance. Ditto for the X2's right now).

Sounds like the consensus is dual core, definitely gonna take a look.

I'd suggest a smaller power supply though. 550W is just silly unless you're running 6 HDs and a SLI setup.

Really? I had always been under the impression that it never hurts to go for the larger power supply, and that skimping here can hurt overall system stability. I've got a 400w psu right now, maybe it'd be best just to keep that.

Edit: Question- What about RAM? 1 Gig should be enough right? My understanding is that it'll be a few years before games really need 2 Gigs, but is that an accurate understanding?
This comment was edited on Jul 22, 16:45.

Jul 22, 2005, 16:35
Enahs

Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 22, 2005, 16:35
Jul 22, 2005, 16:35
 Enahs

Should we even ask what capitalism and the PATRIOT act have in common?

No, we know the answer. People are idiots and A) Think capitalism is inherently evil and B) are so disillusioned that they think where they live is not a capitalist country….I got news for you, unless you are at some remote research station and you are using the internet, you are living in a capitalist country, even if your government does not call it that.

“I find the most erotic part of the female anatomy is the boobies.” -Zap
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Jul 22, 2005, 16:34
Re: No subject Jul 22, 2005, 16:34

I would skip the SLI mobo unless you plan on buying 2 vid cards right now.

Well I was kinda thinking that SLI might be nice so as to have an easy upgrade the next time I have a couple hundred to put into my machine. Your right though that you need to have identical cards, plus some games don't make use of SLI. I haven't looked into dual-core processors as I thought those were still a couple months off. I'll definately have to check dual core out.

What about getting one a step down and save some bucks there?

Well the 6800 Ultra isn't that much cheaper, only a hundred dollars or so, and when your talking about that much money 100 dollars becomes less of an issue. It does seem like the 7800 is a significant step up, as opposed to the difference between the 6800GT and 6800Ultra though. I'd take a look at ATI but I haven't been terribly happy with the stability of my 9800 Pro.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm definitely gonna take a look at dual core.

Re: No subject Jul 22, 2005, 16:34

SLI needs to be from two cards that are exactly the same from manufacturing, and have the exact same BIOS lvl, etc. or they won't work together

There are rumors that this is changing.

But I'd skip the SLI MB because it's pointless if you're putting in a 7800GTX. It's not like you're ever going to use it... you're just spending extra money for no purpose.

Have you thought about a dual-core Athlon64 X2

That's actually a reasonably good suggestion if you're going to plunk down that kind of cash anyway (I wouldn't buy a 4000+; utterly silly price for negligible extra performance. Ditto for the X2's right now).

What about getting one a step down and save some bucks there?

The step down is to a GF6800 Ultra -- the 7800GTX is the only 7000 series card right now. The 7800GT is rumored, but I don't know when it's supposed to appear.

I'd suggest a smaller power supply though. 550W is just silly unless you're running 6 HDs and a SLI setup. A good 400W PSU (or, frankly, 350W) will be more than sufficient -- just watch the 12V rail, but if you go with a good name brand then you don't have to worry about that nowadays.

Hell, my server w/ 4 HDs is running on a 350W PSU. No high end video or CPU, but those two together still pull less power than the 3 additional drives.

Jul 22, 2005, 16:24
Re: No subject Jul 22, 2005, 16:24
Jul 22, 2005, 16:24

Any thoughts or recommendations?
I would skip the SLI mobo unless you plan on buying 2 vid cards right now. From everything I've read, SLI needs to be from two cards that are exactly the same from manufacturing, and have the exact same BIOS lvl, etc. or they won't work together.

Have you thought about a dual-core Athlon64 X2 instead of just a 4000+ ? Only about $100 more for an X2 4200+ and about $150 for an X2 4400+ with 1MB of L2 cache.

I'm not very well versed in nVidia cards, but the GTX seems to be the absolute top-end card there is right now. What about getting one a step down and save some bucks there?

Jul 22, 2005, 16:20
Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 22, 2005, 16:20
Jul 22, 2005, 16:20

If you'd read the actual article you'd see that the House passed this, not the Senate and not Congress as a whole.

And, frankly, I've know this all day. It was on the radio (NPR at least, I believe it was also on a local talk radio station that headlines Neil Boortz and Shawn Hannity), on Google News, and on Slashdot. It's hardly been buried.

Edit: Oh, and hey lookee -- it's on Blue's too. Under Tech bits. Not really sure why it's there though...

The odds of it being passed in the Senate anything like the House version are doubtful. There's a high likelyhood of a filibuster. And if there isn't one then it will be substantially different from the House version (I doubt the Democrats will go for a permanent bill), which would require the differences to be ironed out in committee and then passed again by both branches.

Fuck American Capitalism, give me a new government!

Should we even ask what capitalism and the PATRIOT act have in common?

I intensely dislike the PATRIOT act, but your statement just doesn't make any sense.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 16:21.

Jul 22, 2005, 16:16
Re: Patriot Act Permanent!!!!!!!!!! Jul 22, 2005, 16:16
Jul 22, 2005, 16:16

I feel for ya Crazed-one, the signs have been there for awile, its time for americans to wake up and take thier country back. I have family in the states and they are all looking to get out, they see the light at the end of the tunnel and its not pretty.

Warhawk, I am glad to hear your wifes ok, man that must have been a rough week for you.

Tripping the Rift - Go BLUE!
Jul 22, 2005, 16:01
Tripping the Rift - Go BLUE! Jul 22, 2005, 16:01
Jul 22, 2005, 16:01

HA!

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but props to Blue for posting a "Tripping the Rift" ad. Then again, maybe it was UGO's doing. But still, very cool.

That show is funny as hell!

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurmama
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older