Out of the Blue

I got my first taste yesterday of a BF2 bug I'd heard complaints about, but had not previously experienced. After a firefight I noticed a teamkill message, so I said I was sorry. A few minutes later it happened again, and when it happened a third time, I was positive there were no friendlies in my sights, and I also noticed a team message asking 'why is everyone shooting me?' The thing is, the team message was in red, just like the name over this guy... he was showing up as an enemy. Looking at the scoreboard, I saw myself with a score of negative-11 and a bunch of teammates in the minus column as well. In spite of people repeatedly messaging him that he was mysteriously appearing as an enemy, he was relentlessly punishing every TK. So instead of leaving the server himself, he just forced myself and his other teammates to leave instead. I would gladly give up the whole TK punish function, which may as well default to punish for all the understanding shown in its use, in exchange for a working voting system, as I have never actually seen a successful mutiny or player kick vote.

Punishing Links! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Links: Brandon-Bird-O-Rama.
'Bullitt' car chase still tops in Hollywood. Thanks Eye 4N Eye.
Stories: Europe to fall silent for UK bomb victims.
Woman gets $74,000 water bill.
Book stores brace for record Harry Potter rush.
Science! Group Calls for Soft Drink Warnings (registration required).
Newly discovered planet has 3 suns. Thanks Jim. Here's the story, of a planet named Brady!
Media: NiN Video.
Gross coin trick.
Follow-ups: Discovery Launch a No-Go.
Teh Funny: VG Cats.
View : : :
88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Newer

No subject
Jul 14, 2005, 11:06
No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:06
Jul 14, 2005, 11:06

Blue, I wonder if that was on the same server as me? I kept getting TKd by a guy yesterday who said he was seeing everyone in red! It was an odd feeling, getting repeatedly TKd :(. Was it on the map with the Mosque (64 player server)?

It could be worse though.. you could be going to BFHQ and seeing ZERO stats like me.

Re: No subject
Jul 14, 2005, 11:12
Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:12
Jul 14, 2005, 11:12

Blue, I wonder if that was on the same server as me?

The guy who kept gettng killed was named something like CptRambo.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jul 14, 2005, 11:14
Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:14
Jul 14, 2005, 11:14

Ahhh, ok, I don't think that was me then, but I know exactly what you mean about friendlies being shown in red, it may have something to do with all that lag ranked servers have (even without the 1.01 patch). You'd think EA would test their 64-player servers first and foremost wouldn't you?

Jul 14, 2005, 11:20
Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:20
Jul 14, 2005, 11:20

That friendlies in red bug is pretty wacky. Luckily the times I've seen it I haven't ended up Tking the person too often. As for the "punish" function, I find that it has it's purposes. I still remember the idiots I'd encounter in BF1942 who would play the entire game killing teammates on purpose. Less so in BFV after the vote system. In BF2, I find people are more careful as a result of the punish option. If someone accidentally drives over me, or shoots me because I was in the line of fire, I'll forgive them. At the same time, it sure as hell feels good to do unto someone for something blatantly stupid.

No subject
Jul 14, 2005, 11:21
No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:21
Jul 14, 2005, 11:21

Known bug.
I usually just leave the server when that happens - huge pain in the ass. It is because of the auto-balance feature. Sometimes when people get slammed to the other team it doesn't change everything. (color of name)

There are about 5-6 servers I have found that work great all of the time. Sometimes have to wait for a spot to open, but once you get in, it is well worth it. Play for 1-2 hours and I am happy.

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952

Jul 14, 2005, 11:22
Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:22
Jul 14, 2005, 11:22

I played for about 3 hours last night and toward the end I started getting friendlies in RED as well. I even killed a couple of my Squad members just before the server booted me for excessive team killing. Needless to say I was pissed off.

I'm one of those people who refuses to connect to servers if FF is turned off, no matter what game it is. Now I have to worry about false positives until they manage to squeeze a patch out. WHERE THE HELL IS THE HOTFIX?

---
Blue Sky Mine
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Jul 14, 2005, 11:24
nin

Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:24
 nin

Minor "making of" for that nin video...

http://musicvideowire.com/dynamic/article_view.asp?AID=11220

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 20 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 10 W/Mo

I have to apologize for the way I feel... http://www.nin.com

In BF2, I find people are more careful as a result of the punish option. If someone accidentally drives over me, or shoots me because I was in the line of fire, I'll forgive them

Yeah, but then you have lots of stupid kiddies that'll hit the punish button no matter what. Imagine this, I am in a car maneuvering to evade the enemy gunfire (esp. if there is a tank), some idiot runs up to me and gets run over, is it my fault? If you're driving on a highway, and some idiot tries to cross the street, whose fault is it? Uhhh huh.

Speaking of servers, has anyone managed to find a good ranked one where people actually play together? The only good server I found was TacticalGamer but its unranked and I desperataly need to get my sniper rifle unlocked!

Yeah, but the punish system shouldn't default to punishing people either. It should make the victim take action against the dumbass who killed them. Sometimes I want to forgive people for accidental TKs, but I end up in a firefight before I can worry about hitting the button.

ADDED: Blue, some of the servers I have been on have it default. I've been TKd, done nothing, and see the message "you chose to punish the teamkiller" or whatever. I've seen this on lots of servers. Maybe it't another bug.

---
Blue Sky Mine
This comment was edited on Jul 14, 11:30.
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Gross coin trick
Jul 14, 2005, 11:33
Gross coin trick Jul 14, 2005, 11:33
Jul 14, 2005, 11:33

Um...didn't anyone else notice that it was fake arm-skin for that trick? I mean, the dude had a big-ass wristband on to hid the seam and I'm not sure if anyone has actually cut their skin there but there is much more blood and the cut skin doesn't look like latex.

And all these people are standing around saying "gross" and "oh my god"...where's the people saying "wow, nice latex arm there dude"?

Re: Gross coin trick
Jul 14, 2005, 11:37
Re: Gross coin trick Jul 14, 2005, 11:37
Jul 14, 2005, 11:37

How does the voting system work? Is it like the demo?

The demo was idiotic - you needed a majority of all players to vote someone out. Why the other team needed to vote players off your team is beyond me. So when you tried to vote kick TKers the majority of your team would say yes, a few stragglers on your team would be clueless, and no one on the other team would do anything because they were too busy killing your team to be aware of your team killing your team...

Re: Gross coin trick
Jul 14, 2005, 11:41
Re: Gross coin trick Jul 14, 2005, 11:41
Jul 14, 2005, 11:41

As for the card trick, did anyone else notice some blood shoot out onto the lower part of his arm then jump over to the upper part as the coin was coming out?

And I love how people kept asking "what are you doing?" when it was pretty obvious. Maybe the first time he took out the knife, yeah, but someone asked as the coin was already coming out.

Jul 14, 2005, 11:47
Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:47
Jul 14, 2005, 11:47

That NiN video was rad... I mean, like, *really* rad...

No subject
Jul 14, 2005, 11:51
No subject Jul 14, 2005, 11:51
Jul 14, 2005, 11:51

What I find infuriating about the teamkill problems are how they get reported. I've flown a blackhawk fully loaded and had an opponent kamikaze his jet into me and the game reported that I teamkilled all my passengers who then punished me. WTF? I've shot down a helicopter that was chasing teammates in a jeep and the chopper fell on the jeep killing them. Of course I get punished for their deaths.

This wouldn't really be an issue if it weren't for the fact that I'm now unable to log onto some servers (Extra, if I recall) because of this sort of nonsense.
--------------------------------
...no, not *that* Brian Reynolds

No subject
Jul 14, 2005, 12:26
No subject Jul 14, 2005, 12:26
Jul 14, 2005, 12:26

I have seen the same thing with rediculous voting. I have however witnessed a few mutinies of the commander. I have seen way more failed votes than passed - but I have seen it happen.

I want to know why I don't get any kind of extra credit for destroying enemy base components, like radar, arty, etc. That is DUMB you get no credit for destroying it - but you get credit for fixing it.

Any time I play special ops - I don't care how good I do - I still get negative pts in my skill category - WTF?!

Anyone been able to gain pts with special ops?

Ronin
Jul 14, 2005, 12:32
Ronin Jul 14, 2005, 12:32
Jul 14, 2005, 12:32

Anyone else upset that Ronin doesn't crack the top 5 in that car chase list? I personally didn't like the Bullitt car chase, but it's fine if lots of people do. But come on! Ronin was all about the car chases, and they were spectacular. Where's the love?

All my friends are trying to get me to buy BF2. I fear I'll just end up being frustrated due to all the crap getting between me and the (admittedly) fantastic gameplay. However, I will be visiting one of those friends for the weekend, and I'm sure we'll be playing a lot. Maybe I'll be able to make a more informed decision then.

Jul 14, 2005, 12:33
Re: No subject Jul 14, 2005, 12:33
Jul 14, 2005, 12:33

Any time I play special ops - I don't care how good I do - I still get negative pts in my skill category - WTF?!

Anyone been able to gain pts with special ops?

Yes. I setup as defense on a forward base and riddle strategic points with C4. I also am a squad leader so I can request supply drops or request a support member stay back to help defend. A couple of times doing this and I received the gold star on a few rounds. As far as attacking the enemy's base? I leave that to other people - until they give points for it, I dont see a reason to go into an uncapturable base and spawn camp.

xXBatmanXx - Lance Corporal xXBatmanXx
http://www.bf2tracker.com/bf2_userprofile.php?bf2id=45215952

Ronin!
Jul 14, 2005, 12:43
Ronin! Jul 14, 2005, 12:43
Jul 14, 2005, 12:43

I posted earlier before I looked at the links of the day - but I gotta agree - Ronin should be up in the top 3 at least.

As for BF2 and the special ops - I do not spawn camp perma bases. If they are perma bases - I get in, hit the objectives, and get out if I can. Otherwise, when I can get in there and take the base, I get in there and kill the arty, take the spawn point, then go after the UAV and Radar.

I can get tons of kill pts, medals and awards - but the skills column (second one in) - usually is damn low or negative when running Spec Ops only. Usually I swap over to engineer or medic to at least get it evened out.

AMD suit dismissed as 'media campaign'
Jul 14, 2005, 12:56
Tim
AMD suit dismissed as 'media campaign' Jul 14, 2005, 12:56
Jul 14, 2005, 12:56
Tim

"The AMD filing, which is surprisingly readable for a legal document, seems to have been crafted not only as a legal complaint, but as part of a media campaign. AMD has also run full-page ads in major newspapers outlining its position," said Martin Reynolds, vice president and fellow at Gartner Research."

And there little stunt failed. Why AMD?

Re: AMD suit dismissed as 'media campaig
Jul 14, 2005, 13:09
Re: AMD suit dismissed as 'media campaig Jul 14, 2005, 13:09
Jul 14, 2005, 13:09

And there little stunt failed. Why AMD?

Their. Ye gods.

And how are you classifying "failed" today Tim? Your topic is misleading, as is your text. The suit has not been dismissed. It's not likely to be resolved in this decade, but it's not going to be so handily dismissed either. Not when there's some pretty damning evidence against Intel.

Not that you'll listen. You're nothing more than an Intel fanboy, and a troll to boot. Shoo.

And to anyone else -- if you want the evidence, I'll happily explain it to you. But not to Tim, who has proven repeatedly that he'll ignore evidence that doesn't support his delusions regarding Intel and Rambus.

Oh, and I own both Intel and AMD stock, as well as computers based on both technologies.

88 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Newer