19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jun 20, 2005, 11:48
Re: No subject Jun 20, 2005, 11:48
Jun 20, 2005, 11:48

With the failure of Tron 2.0

Que?

Tron 2.0 kicked major ass... one of the best FPS experiences I've had... Behind System Shock 1/2 ; )

-Alamar

Re: How generous
Jun 20, 2005, 09:02
Re: How generous Jun 20, 2005, 09:02
Jun 20, 2005, 09:02

Yes, because extending a leg whilst in mid-air should definitely make you travel further...

Hehe. Actually, they're different types of jumps, meant to do different things. If this game treats it as just a jump and then anywhere in the jump you can hit attack to try to kick someone, that's already stupid. A flying kick does NOT equate to a jump and while you're jumping you decide to kick something. If you do that, you wind up falling flat on your beak real fast.

The weapons thing I'm not so worried about, that's why they have a beta, so they can get feedback on it and balance it. I'm sure that will be sorted out.
The no physics thing bugs me though. I realise that adding physics adds a huge amount of cost to the development of a game, but seriously, we've had physics for what, two years now? Getting a shooter without it is just crap.

Creston

Jun 20, 2005, 05:18
Re: How generous Jun 20, 2005, 05:18
Jun 20, 2005, 05:18

Jump kicks, however, useless. You go no farther than a normal jump.
Yes, because extending a leg whilst in mid-air should definitely make you travel further...

Re: About the beta...
Jun 19, 2005, 15:24
Re: About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 15:24
Jun 19, 2005, 15:24

As much as I love standard DM, I never played HL2DM.

On my laptop it was just jerky and unplayable. Fun, but unplayable. On my new desktop I fired it up once but either never found a server or ended up in one that was still very laggy.

Maybe I'll try it again. I remember doing significant running around in it on my laptop, and getting some kills, but it was at like 10 fps.

The fact that it was the SAME toilet is pretty hysterical.

Jun 19, 2005, 14:40
nin
Re: About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 14:40
Jun 19, 2005, 14:40
nin

1) Spawn.
2) Kill the guy A that spawned in the same spot before you by shooting him in the back.
3) Immediately get shot in the back by the guy B that spawned behind you.
4) Guy A spawned behind guy B and killed him.
5) You spawn behind Guy A and kill him.
6) Guy B spawns behind you and kills you.

This reminds me of someone here that posted awhile back about playing HL2:DM. They'd launched a toilet at another player, got killed, respawned, and was immediately hit and killed by the toilet they'd launched 2-3 seconds earlier...

Still makes me laugh...

--------------------------------------------------------------
GW: Nilaar Madalla, lvl 18 R/Mo / Xylos Gath, lvl 8 W/Mo

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

Jun 19, 2005, 13:05
Re: About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 13:05
Jun 19, 2005, 13:05

Just played a game to test the slide kicks.

Well, I did get one kick to work.

However, it was an awful game. It was the docks level, I believe. The matches went like this:

1) Spawn.
2) Kill the guy A that spawned in the same spot before you by shooting him in the back.
3) Immediately get shot in the back by the guy B that spawned behind you.
4) Guy A spawned behind guy B and killed him.
5) You spawn behind Guy A and kill him.
6) Guy B spawns behind you and kills you.

That's not fun, that's waiting in a line to kill then die. But that's how it was going. You kept killing the guy that spawned 5 seconds before you, and while reloading someone else would spawn behind you and kill you.

edit - holy tense changes. Wow. I'm keeping those for laugh value.
This comment was edited on Jun 19, 13:05.

Jun 19, 2005, 12:48
Re: About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 12:48
Jun 19, 2005, 12:48

Oh, the single player seems like it will be much, much better than Blood 2, but Blood 2 did not please me at all.

I've always seen Monolith as a 2nd rate developer. I know, I know, everyone loves NOLF, but my experience with it was only the demo and while fun, it wasn't mindbogglingly good. Shogo was 2nd tier at best, Blood 2 wasn't even that good, AVP2 was no AVP1, Contract Jack blew, Tron 2.0 didn't excite me, MO sucks...

I know I'm alone on it, but Blood 1 was the only Monolith game I really enjoyed, and that was probably mostly because I could punt heads, haha.

I'm really hoping FEAR is the breakout game to me. Single player, at least, multiplayer is a dog thus far, if the beta is indicative at least.

Jun 19, 2005, 11:58
Re: About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 11:58
Jun 19, 2005, 11:58

I consider myself to be in the "mid range" with these specs...

AMD 3000 1gig of ram and ATI 800XL 256meg PCI-e.
I consider that to be high-end. Not ultra-high $5000, but high. I consider 9800 Pro, ~2Ghz, 512Mb RAM to be mid-end. Which is almost what I have (I have extra RAM).

Shame about F.E.A.R. sounding so poor. Though hopefully it will mean Monolith decide to do another Blood

Jun 19, 2005, 11:49
Re: How generous Jun 19, 2005, 11:49
Jun 19, 2005, 11:49

Hmm, I'll try slide kicks. I haven't seen them yet.

Jump kicks, however, useless. You go no farther than a normal jump.

How generous
Jun 19, 2005, 07:18
How generous Jun 19, 2005, 07:18
Jun 19, 2005, 07:18

Pre-order F.E.A.R. now and be among the elite to play the exclusive multiplayer beta
It strikes me that publishers are already lucky enough to have sufficently large numbers of people willing to test this stuff for free, but now you have to pay them for the privilege of working for them for free?!

I also fail to understand the people who seem to treat this sort of thing as a way to play a game early, rather than a way to help the developers make the final game better.

Jun 19, 2005, 03:42
Re: About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 03:42
Jun 19, 2005, 03:42

My first impressions.

The slow-mo stuff is good, for the most part. Fun when in the right situation, but annoying when you're just running around and no enemies are near.

The weapons seem very similar, as someone else said. They all kill insanely fast. There's absolutely no reason to pick any other weapon besides the SMG, because it fires the fastest.

The melee, which is just jump kicks and slide kicks (jump+crouch+melee) is severely problematic. I had a guy using the slide kicks on me and he was almost impossible to hit -- he moved so fast that it was practically like warping from spot to spot, and he would kill me in only one hit. Right. Slide kicks should not be killing you at all really, let alone in one hit. Otherwise there would be a lot of dead soccer players out there. Once i realized this tactic, i tried it out myself and never looked back... slide kicks are absolute ownage. Nobody can kill you. Try it yourself.

The level design isn't as bad as some others say, but there are some fairly badly-laid choke points. It's kinda mish-mashy in that sense, and doesn't allow for much in the way of tactical assaults.

Grenades are great. I love the ability to use the various types (remote, proximity, frag) and they're all fairly effective. Remotes are just too much fun.

Graphically, it's nice, but not as good as i thought it would be. It runs alright on my system (XP3000+, 1GB DDR, 9800 Pro) at maximum settings but never breaks 30-35 fps. The giant chunks weapons put in walls add a nicely chaotic feel to it all. I thought some of the shadowing was a little over-the-top, but the dynamic lighting was good. It still had a sterile doom3-ish look to it in most situations, though.

There are other good aspects, like being able to loot and use medkits from bodies, that help keep things interesting. Leaning is nice too. At any rate, i would just like to see some more expansive/fluid level design and it would be more enjoyable. I'll play it for a few more days and see how i feel about it then.

Jun 19, 2005, 03:21
Re: About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 03:21
Jun 19, 2005, 03:21

Other people have compared it to CS, I don't see it. The weapons are too accurate.

I can name dozens of times in CS that I ran into somewhere I shouldn't be, got shot at, and managed to successfully retreat, spending the rest of the round with low health.

I can't name a single successful retreat in FEAR. Every gunfight I've been in has been quick and instantly lethal.

Maybe this all wouldn't all be a problem if the levels were better, but they're mostly tight corridors. Fights are too quick. Even in the rare open field you die quickly and never get a chance to melee.

About the beta...
Jun 19, 2005, 03:16
About the beta... Jun 19, 2005, 03:16
Jun 19, 2005, 03:16

I agree with Beamer. I've been playing since the closed beta and his review is on point. FEAR has a few new elements that are entertaining at first, but quickly become trivial after a few matches.

I dont see how this game is such a system hog. Some of the textures are down right ugly. Yes, I know this is a beta but my goodness the textures can be dreadful. I consider myself to be in the "mid range" with these specs...

AMD 3000 1gig of ram and ATI 800XL 256meg PCI-e. I've got just about all the details cranked up and never really dip below 35 FPS.

I really hope they expand more on the combat though. Because like Beamer pointed out the "battles" tend to be based on who see's who first...which is fine. Thats part of realistic combat. I just think for the sake of fun that there needs to be more depth. Although I have had a few AMAZING shoot out and chase sequences on the office level.

At this point in the beta FEAR feels like a more hetic Counter Strike with some cool particle effects and slo mo. Which isnt really a bad thing, but I think gamers are looking for something new. I belive FEAR could have that "something" before it goes gold.

Re: F.E.A.R
Jun 19, 2005, 02:08
Re: F.E.A.R Jun 19, 2005, 02:08
Jun 19, 2005, 02:08

Ok, downloaded the FEAR beta today. Posted my opinions in the DOD thread, but here they are again, hoping for discussion:

Game is bad. Bad.

Graphically I dig it. The shadows are nice, and the enviroment is less rubberized than DOOM 3. I'd say the engine may not be as advanced as DOOM 3, but is working out better. My computer LOVES running this game, it seems.

Little details not as much. Big chunks get blown out of concrete - nice. Concussions from grenades - nice. But there's no physics engine in objects. If a piece of wood is laying on two sawhorses and I walk into it, it shouldn't stop me, it should fall. If a light is on a flimsy tripod, it should fall as well, especially if a 'nade goes off next to it. While I understand this may be a frames nightmare, if your engine can't handle it your levels shouldn't have it. It feels so... retro. Bad mojo. I run into these things now expecting them to fall, recent engines have taught me to expect such.

Gameplay is the killer, though. Weapons are over-powered. And they feel very similar. The power is the problem, though. Matches are NOT battles, they're luck. The player that sees a target first gets the kill. If someone shoots you in the back, which happens often, there is no time to react - you die instantly. While one-shot kills were nice in Goldeneye, where you were very innacurate, here you rarely miss, so the first guy to pull the trigger is the guy that wins the fight. Nothing epic, nothing back and forth, simply spotting a target before he spots you is all it takes.

Magazines have hyped up the melee combat. And, when I announced on a server that the game sucks, someone commented "with jump kicks? No way, this rules." He, however, admitted that in over three hours of playing he hadn't gotten a melee kill. And I contend that melee kills are impossible. By the time you get near enough to a target you are dead. If not, he is probably dead from any bursts you fired. Melee combat is not exciting and new, it's entirely useless and a good way to die.

Lastly, you are given an option of which guns to pick before fighting. Most feel the same, all kill quickly. In-game you can find some "better" ones, like the plasma gun and rocket launcher. These, however, are not better at all. They take longer between shots. So if you miss your first shot, the enemy will plow you with bullets and kill you long before you get a second off. Picking these guns is suicide. The plasma gun has a very long distance scope, too, which is useless in these levels as they're all tight, and seems useless overall, as guns are accurate enough to kill quickly from any distance you find.

So I like the engine, imagine I'll like single player, but the multiplayer beta just sucks. You see a guy, you kill a guy. A guy sees you, he kills you. Nothing good about that. No battles, just quick deaths.

F.E.A.R
Jun 18, 2005, 20:18
F.E.A.R Jun 18, 2005, 20:18
Jun 18, 2005, 20:18

Is FEAR really that bad? I thought it did look kind of cool from the first movie I saw of it a while ago.

I found it incredibly fun, but graphically poor (slow/demanding and particularly unimpressive) with mediorce level design. Multiplayer looks to be the only good aspect, as the singleplayer looks like a standard 10-a-penny horror plot.

Certainly not a classic, but good for a bit of arcadey deathmatch fun.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Emotinomicon: Emoticons of the Dead
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Jun 18, 2005, 18:28
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 18:28
Jun 18, 2005, 18:28

Even though I'm a nervy guy who normally isn't big on scary games because well, they scare me more than others, I was looking forward to this. The game looked like a blast in the videos. Hopefully, this being a beta of multiplayer means that they aren't done optimizing and tweaking it yet. It would be a real shame if this title came out in poor condition after the hype it got. With the failure of Tron 2.0 and now Matrix Online, F.E.A.R. tanking could well be the end of Monolith. Here's hoping...

Parallax Abstraction
Founder of StateOfGaming.org - Coming Soon
Commentary & Discussion About the Video Game Industry and Its Future
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Jun 18, 2005, 17:51
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 17:51
Jun 18, 2005, 17:51

Is FEAR really that bad? I thought it did look kind of cool from the first movie I saw of it a while ago.

No subject
Jun 18, 2005, 17:47
No subject Jun 18, 2005, 17:47
Jun 18, 2005, 17:47

The beta was embarassing. Someone came in while I was playing it and I alt-tabbed out so they wouldn't be exposed to it's level of shit.

I feel bad for anyone who actually pre-orders let alone buys this game.

"...unannounced F.E.A.R. beta events..."
Jun 18, 2005, 16:10
"...unannounced F.E.A.R. beta events..." Jun 18, 2005, 16:10
Jun 18, 2005, 16:10

So what are they now that it has been announced that they are offering beta events?

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older