Ritual Countdown, Testing Program, Sin II Tease?

The Ritual Entertainment Website now offers a redirect to this teaser page that seems to be a countdown of some sort, as the page currently sports a ginormous 18. Proceeding through to the main page reveals that the tribe is also launching a playtester program open to those 18 years or older in the Dallas, TX area willing to come in and contribute opinions about their works-in-progress. Finally, on another possibly related note, both http://www.ritual.com/sin2/ and http://www.sin2.com/ now redirect to LegionPharma, a site that looks like a legit drug company, though researching that trademark suggests this is fictitious, so this could be some sort of viral marketing for a still-unannounced Sin sequel. Thanks Frans.
View : : :
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Shit
Jun 17, 2005, 15:44
Shit Jun 17, 2005, 15:44
Jun 17, 2005, 15:44

This "yes we're doing it, no we're not" crap is starting to become just as big a Soap Opera as DNF.

I don't understand why they keep sitting on the whole Sin thing anyways. It's not like it was the hottest IP on the planet to begin with, and the game was sort okay if you could accept the fact that it had exactly zero minutes of beta testing done to it, and everyone who wound up buying it beta tested the game for them.

Ritual, move on, seriously. Make something else. Or break up and go join other teams.

Edit : Btw, that whole LegionPharma thing is pretty much 100% ripped off from that shitty theater commercial they had for Resident Evil 2 (you know, the whole Umbrella corporation blablabla). I mean, come on, revolutionary drug that cures most forms of cancer? Eh yeah. Sure.

Edit 2 : Not trying to take the piss at someone who's obviously happy with his job and cares about the company he works for, but..."Ritual has proven to me through their actions that they truly care about quality"

Really? That'd sure be a first for them.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 15:55.

Re: No subject
Jun 17, 2005, 15:42
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:42
Jun 17, 2005, 15:42

lawn Jarts?

Anyhow, I would love to play another game in the Sin Universe. Personally it seems it would be well suited for the Source Engine.

Jun 17, 2005, 15:39
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:39
Jun 17, 2005, 15:39

I guess you never heard of a consumer lawsuit against a manufacturer over a defective or misrepresentative product.

I sure haven't. Anyone want to buy a set of lawn Jarts? Oh, and it's all about safe mapping now.

Jun 17, 2005, 15:33
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:33

Bump mapping is so passe, it's all about normal mapping now.

Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:33

there has to be standards so Little Johnny doesn't lacerate himself with the product.
Quality standards and liability for toys extend beyond just the personal safety issues.

So, as a free thinking consumer, I have to let some High Court decide what I can buy?
LOL! I guess you never heard of a consumer lawsuit against a manufacturer over a defective or misrepresentative product. The court doesn't determine if the consumer can buy the product (unless of course the product is injurious or otherwise unlawful to sell), it just punishes the company for it's unlawful practices in producing or selling it.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 15:36.

No subject
Jun 17, 2005, 15:32
WarPig

No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:32
Jun 17, 2005, 15:32
 WarPig

Sin used to be one of our favorite LAN deathmatch games. Remember the map where you could walk on the walls and ceiling? I'm thinking it was a Level Lord map - anyway, it was probably the wildest DM map ever made.

-------------------------------------------------------
"We're innocent critters squashed on the highway of life!"

Jun 17, 2005, 15:26
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:26
Jun 17, 2005, 15:26

"Procellic is a revolutionary drug to treat most forms of cancer. Procellic uses t-cell carriers to attack the tumor directly, leaving the surrounding, healthy cells unaffected."

Pretty sure that sounds fake, that and all the companies listed in their board of directors bios dont exist.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 15:28.

Jun 17, 2005, 15:25
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:25
Jun 17, 2005, 15:25

Yes, video games are an entertainment product, but even toy manufacturers have quality standards they must meet.

Wow. Video games and toys. Not the same thing. Since toys make up a hell of a lot more money than games in its respective industry, there has to be standards so Little Johnny doesn't lacerate himself with the product.

Until video game publishers are held liable by a court and punitively fined for misleading consumers with their shoddy products or until strict consumer protection legislation covering software is enacted, the quality problem is not going to be solved.

So, as a free thinking consumer, I have to let some High Court decide what I can buy? Frankly, I'd rather let free market regulation decide that.

No subject
Jun 17, 2005, 15:06
No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:06
Jun 17, 2005, 15:06

bring out the bump mapped titties

Jun 17, 2005, 15:00
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 15:00
Jun 17, 2005, 15:00

Another thing is that the "photograph" on their media relations page at http://www.legionpharma.com/media.php is definitely not a photograph IMO, but a screenshot, Doom³ engine style. Check it out for yourself.

Jun 17, 2005, 14:54
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 14:54
Jun 17, 2005, 14:54

It is true that trained professional QA testers...
That is a very insightful post and echoes what I have seen and read elsewhere.

However, blame for a poor quality product is not really the problem with video games today. It's the lack of liability. Almost no other industry can get away with foisting poor performing, misleading, and just plain shoddy products onto the buying public other than the software industry. EULA's, UCITA, and the lack of consumer protection laws specifically covering software shield software producers from liability when their products fail to perform as they should or as advertised. Yes, video games are an entertainment product, but even toy manufacturers have quality standards they must meet.

Until video game publishers are held liable by a court and punitively fined for misleading consumers with their shoddy products or until strict consumer protection legislation covering software is enacted, the quality problem is not going to be solved. The current system of "free market regulation" simply isn't working and doesn't work when virtually all of the competitors in the industry release poor quality products and literally have license to do so.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 18:36.

Jun 17, 2005, 14:42
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 14:42
Jun 17, 2005, 14:42

P12-66/P1-13/P2-3/P6-39/P3-9/P4-4/P5-8/P7-14/P8-45/P9-6/P10-12/P11-45

Seems like a code, paragraph/letter position. I don't feel like counting out 66 letters, anyone want to crack it?
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/new/press/oberel4f.htm

No one has done this yet?

Good to see I'm not the only lazy one here.

Jun 17, 2005, 14:19
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 14:19
Jun 17, 2005, 14:19

To whoever "MyRealName" is, I don't know what your position in the industry is, but it's clearly one that shields you from the realities of the game industry and the production process.

It is true that trained professional QA testers are really good at finding bugs, revealing design weaknesses, testing balance, and doing thousands of other tasks, such as compatibility, network testing, stress testing, etc.

BUT, what you don't realize is that sometimes it is a good idea to bring in actual GAMERS, guys and girls who play the kinds of games you're making and can give you totally objective feedback on whether your game is FUN or not.

It's called "ad hoc" testing, and it can be extremely useful. So can focus group testing - bringing in people in your target demographic to give you first impression feedback. Because QA testers can get jaded. They can get hardened, they can lose their objectivity. I know this because I was a tester for years. And because "fresh eyes" can always see things that someone who has been staring at a game for 6 months, or 9 months, or 3 years, can't.

I'm sure the original SiN had testers on it from both Activision and Ritual. Activision has an internal QA department, and they always test their products before release.

People who blame QA, or the lack of QA, for the QUALITY of a product are just plain ignorant. They don't realize that QA is a department among many. It's name "Quality Assurance" is a laughable misnomer. Testers don't assure quality games, they provide the data that developers need to fix bugs. Having the time, money, and expertise to actually FIX those bugs...THAT is what assures quality.

QA departments often lose arguments with other departments when the decision on when to release a title comes up. Sometimes marketing wins. Sometimes finance wins. Sometimes the developers just don't want to fix bugs. Imagine that?? A developer...that actually DOESN'T CARE if a feature is broken. I've seen developers fight with publishers for more time to get their game to a quality state. But I've also seen publishers fighting developers who don't have the work ethic to actually get things done. Maybe they're just tired. Maybe they have another, more exciting project they want to work on, so they just abandon yours and make up excuses for why they can't fix the bugs. And so the publisher ships the turd, and they take the blame, and all the ignorant gamers who have elevated developers to cult status as infallible beacons of quality and creative zeal whine and cry and get mad. And those same developers get to maintain their reputation when they really should be out of business.

I'm not saying any of this happened on SiN. I'm saying that, in my nearly 9 years of experience in QA and then design and then production, I've seen stuff that would make you wretch with disgust. I've seen producers mark more than a thousand bugs "will not be fixed" with the click of a database button. I've seen a QA team slave endlessly, writing up bugs and balance reports and trying desperately to shine a light on the crapitude of a game that really could be great if the developers took the time to make it right, only to watch their title ship buggy and broken.

I've watched publishers strongarm developers into shipping early. I've watched developers weasel out of contractual obligations to fix bugs and support products post-release.

IT ISN'T ALWAYS QA TO BLAME, MAN. Just like everything in life, the answer isn't always simple, or easy.

Did you know that sometimes publishers push up release dates by a few months to make sure revenue hits within a certain fiscal quarter or fiscal year? And that this shortens development cycles and forces developers to scramble to get a game done sooner than expected?

Did you know that developers sometimes overpromise features or overstate their abilities, or, more often than not, simply fail to properly project how long things will take to implement, and end up shipping a rough product because they ran out of time?

Did you know that, on a lot of games, there are ARMIES of professional QA testers. And those armies write up THOUSANDS of bugs, everything from crashes to broken features to the teeniest, tiniest vis bugs and misaligned textures that 99% of players will never see or notice? And did you know that a lot of times, publishers STILL ship the title? Even though they KNOW its full of bugs?

If you are in the industry, spend less time blabbing on forums and more time actually observing how the business works. You just might learn something.

Your apocryphal citation of that Ultima game having exactly one QA person is almost certainly untrue. It's the kind of urban legend-like bit of drivel that whiny gamers throw around when they feel the need to rail against the injustice of an industry that releases buggy products.

A buggy game is USUALLY not QA's fault. I can say that with full authority, having been on both sides of the equation. It is a complicated, twisted maelstrom of decision-making that involves multiple departments, multiple companies, and sometimes dozens of people, all with competing priorities, pressures, responsibilities, and interests.

Re: It's fake.
Jun 17, 2005, 14:17
Re: It's fake. Jun 17, 2005, 14:17
Jun 17, 2005, 14:17

I love this new viral marketing schtick. Great way to build suspense and get the word out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jun 17, 2005, 13:39
Re: It's fake. Jun 17, 2005, 13:39
Jun 17, 2005, 13:39

OK Ritual.. I see your domain listing owner name change and raise you one www.ritualistic.com look up:

www.ritualistic.com = [ 69.17.116.118 ]
www.legionpharma.com = [ 69.17.116.124 ]

Hmmm.. same web host? Hurry, move it somewhere else! At least you didn't make it that obvious by keeping it at ritual.com. Yeah, we already know it was fake, but it's still fun to dig into it.

EDIT: They've announced the LegionPharma.com relationship on http://www.ritualistic.com in the featured image and latest news... very quick response

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 13:59.

Jun 17, 2005, 13:29
Re: It's fake. Jun 17, 2005, 13:29
Jun 17, 2005, 13:29

So fake... but fantastic. Bravo to the guy who wrote up 'Active Telomere Union Sequencing'. I almost want to look it up and learn about it.

SIN 2!!
Jun 17, 2005, 13:28
SIN 2!! Jun 17, 2005, 13:28
Jun 17, 2005, 13:28

Damnit Ritual! They've probably been working on Sin 2 for longer than DNF. I think they established back in the Quake days.

I was playing Sin non-stop till HL came out for cheaper, so I exchanged it for that game instead. It's still an awesome game and the anime is excellent work as well. Truly a great franchise opportunity to be had.

Also great responses from Michael Russell! He knows that in Quality Assurance, you'd get more productivity if the testers are committed to playing a good game and having an enjoyable experience. *hint hint*

Now let's rev up the viral marketing hype engines! Weeee.... 14 7 baby

Jun 17, 2005, 13:21
Sho

Re: It's fake. Jun 17, 2005, 13:21
Jun 17, 2005, 13:21
 Sho

Notice the animated GIF on the splash page switches between "14 7" and "legionpharma.com".

What does "14 7" mean, I wonder?

Jun 17, 2005, 13:17
Re: It's fake. Jun 17, 2005, 13:17
Jun 17, 2005, 13:17

Anyone notice that http://www.ritual.com/sin2 does not head to legionpharma.com?

No subject
Jun 17, 2005, 13:16
No subject Jun 17, 2005, 13:16
Jun 17, 2005, 13:16

If you go to the about us page and use a quick google search on terms such as the drug "Procellic" and "World Cancer Foundation" you can see there are no hits. I was too lazy to look up who the domain was owned by ahah.

Mayor Dan
------------
"Take me Jesus, take me Allah, rape me in my room
Torch our days in paranoia while we gorge ourselves on gloom"
ExcessDan
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older