Ritual Countdown, Testing Program, Sin II Tease?

The Ritual Entertainment Website now offers a redirect to this teaser page that seems to be a countdown of some sort, as the page currently sports a ginormous 18. Proceeding through to the main page reveals that the tribe is also launching a playtester program open to those 18 years or older in the Dallas, TX area willing to come in and contribute opinions about their works-in-progress. Finally, on another possibly related note, both http://www.ritual.com/sin2/ and http://www.sin2.com/ now redirect to LegionPharma, a site that looks like a legit drug company, though researching that trademark suggests this is fictitious, so this could be some sort of viral marketing for a still-unannounced Sin sequel. Thanks Frans.
View : : :
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jun 18, 2005, 10:06
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 10:06
Jun 18, 2005, 10:06

Level Lord and Blue need to get back together for one of their 'Nights of Antics' heh. And I also still have my Duke Nukem 3D mousepad on my desk. I think Level Lord has been snooping again :P.

And if I remember correctly Load issues and quite a few of the bugs were taken care of in the first patch which came out shortly after the game shipped.

As for Sin's problems... I didn't have quite as many as other people, but at the same time Activision (whom I suspect was in charge of QA) at times has had some VERY shotty game releases.

Jun 18, 2005, 07:40
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 07:40
Jun 18, 2005, 07:40

is Levelord still making maps for Ritual?

Yes.

Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual Entertainment

Tell him to get back to work. Oh and GINORMOUS BOOBS please, and thongs....must have thongs.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 07:42.
You put de lime in de coco-nut, you shake it all up; you put de lime in de coco-nut it make you feel bettah.....

Re: Shit
Jun 18, 2005, 05:44
Re: Shit Jun 18, 2005, 05:44
Jun 18, 2005, 05:44

Business as usual. The SiN developers weren't to blame, they didn't have a choice. The Activision & Ritual QA teams weren't to blame, they didn't have a chance. If you'd like to lay the blame somewhere, lay it where it belongs: fickle investors and scared execs.
The developers are still to blame. They put the bugs in the product whether intentional or not. If it is "business as usual," then cutting the development time-frame a little short should have surprised no one. When that happens, you simply devote more people to the project to meet the new deadline even if you have to pay more to get the additional help. If the developer doesn't have the money or resources to get the extra help, then the publisher should have to fund it or the developer should build that extra manpower into the cost of production when the forecasts are made to get the game approved.

Jun 18, 2005, 05:33
Re: Shit Jun 18, 2005, 05:33
Jun 18, 2005, 05:33

Also represents a case where they the market fixed itself.
The market did not fix itself. Neither Activison nor Ritual went out of business due to the bugs in Sin nor did either company have to refund the money of disgruntled customers. Those consumers were simply screwed and stuck with a bad game.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 05:38.

Jun 18, 2005, 05:26
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 05:26
Jun 18, 2005, 05:26

Yeah jackass, just what this industry needs, the government to design some f*cked up regulations which only make money for lawyers.
Yes, that's right. Consumer protection laws only enrich lawyers. No consumer has ever benefitted from such legislation. LOL!

If you could design the laws, what standard would you use?...
It need not be that complicated. Simply treat software sold (licensed) to consumers as a standard consumer product with the normal liabilities of such a product and not some rented service which exonerates the purveyor of all responsibility if the software doesn't perform as it should or as advertised.

The consumer and the developers would get fucked.
The consumer would be in a much better situation than he is in right now because right now he is totally fucked. Developers would have to stop abrogating their responsibilities to develop a quality product.

Defective toys that can hurt childeren are recalled, but just because a toy sucks ass and your kid hates it, doesn't mean you can sue.
Actually in America you can sue.

And millions of toys break while kids are playing with them, should we clog the courts even further every time a kid drops and breaks a toy?
Of course not, but if the toy was made of substandard or defective materials, the manufacturer is liable and is responsible for repair or replacement.

If you're worried about compatibility or performance, wait for the demo. You can wait can't you?
A demo does not show and tell all about the shipping version of game, nor do all games have demos. Bugs and defects exist in full versions of some games but not in the demo versions because the content is different.

If you want to find out about the game, use the internet.
That is not a substitute for the publisher's responsibility to deliver a quality product which performs as advertised or expected. No game review tells all, and even if it is unbiased, it is still just a single opinion and most importantly, it is NOT the consumer's own opinion.

There are tons of laws which can protect consumers. The EULA doesn't protect the industry from most of them.
Actually both UCITA (in the states where it is law) and current case law regarding EULA's do protect the industry from them.

And it wouldn't take much of an effort for a lawyer to negate the whole thing. Contract by both sides? And for precedent, a few months back, a judge ruled the an internet company was not held liable for a violation of privacy statement set forth in their little click through. They argued and the judge agreed that no one reads the contracts and therefore they couldn't hold the company responsible for what they said in the clickthrough.
The difference though is that is a privacy agreement not a software license agreement.

Opening shrinkwrap is not signing a contract.
Unfortunately courts have ruled that it is. The current ruling in the Blizzard/Vivendi versus BnetD case says just that.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 06:04.

Jun 18, 2005, 04:05
Re: Shit Jun 18, 2005, 04:05
Jun 18, 2005, 04:05

Also represents a case where they the market fixed itself. Half-life didn't kill the sales of Sin, reports of it being a buggy ass game did.

They did eventually get the game fixed, and I enjoyed the crap out of it. Especially since I bought it for 10 bucks in the bargain bin.
Playing with yeast to help you live longer!
My e. coli cures cancer!

Jun 18, 2005, 03:57
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 03:57
Jun 18, 2005, 03:57

Yeah jackass, just what this industry needs, the government to design some f*cked up regulations which only make money for lawyers.

Before suggesting so stupid, think first. If you could design the laws, what standard would you use? What percentage of hardware combinations does a bug have to show up on before the problem is actionable? How many frames per second is "playable", at what resolution and color depth? If something is not realistic enough? If it is not fun?

If you can't see how fucked up it would be already, consider that you are asking the government to set the standards. And what two industries would be lobbying hard to influence the standards? Trial lawyers and publishers. The consumer and the developers would get fucked.

Defective toys that can hurt childeren are recalled, but just because a toy sucks ass and your kid hates it, doesn't mean you can sue. And millions of toys break while kids are playing with them, should we clog the courts even further every time a kid drops and breaks a toy? After all, that is a fully reasonable and expected event for any toy sold for use by a child.

I don't have the time (or care enough) to explain more, so sit back and plan your lawsuit and then defense.

Oh, well a few more bullet points before I go.

If you're worried about compatibility or performance, wait for the demo. You can wait can't you?

If you want to find out about the game, use the internet. Not all sources of reviews are industry funded fuckstick. You don't have to buy the game the first day it is available.

There are tons of laws which can protect consumers. The EULA doesn't protect the industry from most of them. And it wouldn't take much of an effort for a lawyer to negate the whole thing. Contract by both sides? And for precedent, a few months back, a judge ruled the an internet company was not held liable for a violation of privacy statement set forth in their little click through. They argued and the judge agreed that no one reads the contracts and therefore they couldn't hold the company responsible for what they said in the clickthrough.

Opening shrinkwrap is not signing a contract.
Playing with yeast to help you live longer!
My e. coli cures cancer!

Jun 18, 2005, 02:57
Re: Shit Jun 18, 2005, 02:57
Jun 18, 2005, 02:57

I thought Elite Force 2 was a hit. That was one really slick fps.

Jun 18, 2005, 02:41
Re: Shit Jun 18, 2005, 02:41
Jun 18, 2005, 02:41

I worked on SiN, so I know of what I speak.

Let's get one thing clear: Ritual worked their heart out to make SiN a great, bug-free game.

Activision, as a public company with shareholders to answer to, needed to meet their quarter. They controlled the purse strings, and both QA time and time for us to polish lost out to making their quarter.

Business as usual. The SiN developers weren't to blame, they didn't have a choice. The Activision & Ritual QA teams weren't to blame, they didn't have a chance. If you'd like to lay the blame somewhere, lay it where it belongs: fickle investors and scared execs.

Luckily, Levelord, ParadoX, and Atkins are still at Ritual. They're oozing with talent over there, and they're hungry for a hit. Sin, if reborn, will rock.

Don

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 02:41.

Jun 18, 2005, 01:04
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 01:04
Jun 18, 2005, 01:04

If I remember the case right, the woman bought the coffee from McDonalds then placed it between her legs, right between her thighs, and then pressed the gas pedal to drive off, which squeezed her legs together enough to pop the lid and spray the coffee on herself. I'd have to look it up to verify though.

Jun 18, 2005, 00:48
Re: No subject Jun 18, 2005, 00:48
Jun 18, 2005, 00:48

Another question for Ritual: Why didn't you guys show off anything at E3?

Ritual is too cool to waste their time at E3

Oh, Levelord owns us all, and SiN & WoS were two of the best FPS ever made (name any other game at that time that had vehicles, pain skins, the most entertaining game manual I've ever read, AND you could use a DOS promt in the game as an interface for looking up game character related information.)

Here's to hoping Ritual keeps all their game women having gigantic knockers

Jun 17, 2005, 22:42
beaves

Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 22:42
Jun 17, 2005, 22:42
 beaves

bring on the "pain skins", please!

Jun 17, 2005, 21:05
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 21:05
Jun 17, 2005, 21:05

I guess they probably get more publicity for less cost this way (given the E3 glut of news).... either that or they didn't have the time for a display demo.

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

Jun 17, 2005, 20:57
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 20:57
Jun 17, 2005, 20:57

17 days left!! OMFG! I just set that as my homepage.

Jun 17, 2005, 20:47
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 20:47
Jun 17, 2005, 20:47

Well to add to the conscpiracy, the teaser page now says 17, and the last dot of proceed to rutual actual takes u to the legionpharma page..

------
$1 tax for the national debt?
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Jun 17, 2005, 20:08
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 20:08
Jun 17, 2005, 20:08

...is Levelord still making maps for Ritual?
Yes.

Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual Entertainment

Jun 17, 2005, 20:03
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 20:03
Jun 17, 2005, 20:03

To get back on topic here, is Levelord still making maps for Ritual? His are the best!!

Jun 17, 2005, 19:28
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 19:28
Jun 17, 2005, 19:28

P12-66/P1-13/P2-3/P6-39/P3-9/P4-4/P5-8/P7-14/P8-45/P9-6/P10-12/P11-45 = "Greaireduied"

I think I screwed up somewhere.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 19:29.

Jun 17, 2005, 19:04
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 19:04
Jun 17, 2005, 19:04

Stable early, playtest early, fun early, polish for a long time...

Indeed, QA is part of the process from day 0.

Dentrassi, I think you might be skim-reading or misunderstanding a bit. Did I say playtesting is useless or has no place? No, so why did you waste 30 minutes writing that post, and apparently to me? Are you posting just for the sake of, well, saying a lot?

Testers don't assure quality games, they provide the data that developers need to fix bugs.

No. Sorry, but where I come from, QA is part of a total process - it's not just bug-hunting. It goes from design phase to development to production and post-production/support. I'm not sure who your half-assed QA people are, but if they're getting away with simple bug hunting, I sure hope they're not getting the salary I do, because that's not even remotely just.

As for "Binky" doing QA on Ultima IX - it's quite true, as I used to correspond with him about it. They had playtesters, but Binky was the department, by his own word.

IT ISN'T ALWAYS QA TO BLAME, MAN.

Hehe, where's this guy coming from? Do you think that I, working in QA for years, would seek to attribute all problems to QA? I think you need to re-read a bit, and talk more after. So far, all you're doing is:

1. stating things I already stated,
2. taking contention with things I didn't say (misunderstanding completely),
3. assuming things you don't know, and
4. lecturing about things that one in your same field already knows.

Reading comprehension: it's not just for books anymore!

Edit: aldo_14 - no problemo man, don't mention it. Same to you, and no offense was taken (though I did sure jump up to defend quickly! hehe)

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 19:09.

Jun 17, 2005, 18:13
Re: No subject Jun 17, 2005, 18:13
Jun 17, 2005, 18:13

Thank goodness. Michael (assuming you are who you say you are) - how many QA staff do you have working for you? Since you didn't jump down my throat for my post, it's possible you agree with me, and realize that the post wasn't directed AT Ritual, but AT all game companies that don't hire QA. Ultima IX had a QA person, for instance. For that HUGE game, one person, "Binky." Argh, indeed!

I thought the implication you were making was that all games companies neglected QA totally and just had amateur playtesting. Which I felt was a wee bit unfair to the industy in general (had that been what you meant).

In which case I obviously misunderstood what you said (I sometimes have a tendency to assume the worst on the net), so I'm sorry about that. No offence intended.

(I have to admit my only (very limited) experience with QA was strictly at 3rd-party arms length, although the people who were working there seemed a fairly conscientous lot when it came to bug-fixing. It was a sort of control middleware they were developing, though, so it's a different arena.)

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/
104 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older