Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Masters of Doom Lawsuit

Former Ion Storm COO sues publisher on Ferrago (thanks Mike Martinez) reports that Mike Wilson, who was actually CEO, not COO, during his stint at ION Storm, is suing publisher Random House over statements made in Masters of Doom, the recent book about the history of id Software. According the report, Wilson says he is being libeled:

In the book, its is alleged that Wilson employed shady business tactics in order to buy a BMW with company money, a suggestion Wilson denies, and says his reputation has been tarnished as a result. The former Ion Storm COO is currently moving onto pastures new after Eidos dissolved Ion Storm, and is trying to setup a new publisher called Gamecock Media Group.

"There's nothing they could have possibly said that could be more damaging," states Wilson. "This is an industry publication read almost exclusively by my peers in the industry."

Wilson believes the allegations made against him "were made with actual malice knowing that such statements were false, or with reckless disregard for the truth." He also claims that his reputation has been damaged, and that he "has suffered shame, humiliation and mental anguish."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: No subject Jun 4, 2005, 17:39 Silicon Avatar

This comment was edited on Jun 4, 17:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: What can I say..he drives a BMW Jun 4, 2005, 13:39 cappy

Shame, humiliation, and mental anguish?

What about all the employees of Ion Dallas who were actually trying to work and who get hung with whatever albatross Wilson's, Porter's, and Romero's antics brought about?

Perhaps they should get together and sue Wilson and the others - "I couldn't get a job/had a hard time getting a job/suffered loss in earnings potential because some jackasses thought they were hired to ruin a company rather than run a company, and then sheepishly admitted later that the difference is just a letter."

28. Re: What can I say..he drives a BMW Jun 4, 2005, 11:27 FourPak

he "has suffered shame, humiliation and mental anguish."
because he did it and got caught.

the story reminds me of the day Todd Porter (Ion Storm Pres.) showed up at work in a new GOLD colored Mercedes sedan, and drove it around and around and around the company parking lot to make sure everyone saw him.

27. Re: What can I say..he drives a BMW Jun 4, 2005, 05:31 Gen. Hospital

has suffered shame, humiliation and mental anguish.

What?!? *sigh* Mental anguish? For two years? If he really thinks that statement has caused/is causing him to lose money, I get that he sues... but 50 mill? And ...'mental anguish'?

26. Re: Pithy name. Jun 3, 2005, 19:21 Zephalephelah

I like the name. It's "cute". Has a certain elan. Blah blah blah... you're all too fucking stupid to read a post....

An excellent quote from Awesome Sperm

25. What can I say..he drives a BMW Jun 3, 2005, 18:49 Wildone

one must automatically assume he's a cock..all beemer drivers are

24. Pithy name. Jun 3, 2005, 17:58 Awesome Spume

I like the name. It's "cute". Has a certain elan. Blah blah blah... you're all too fucking stupid to read a post....

23. hhmmm Jun 3, 2005, 17:53 runnerct32

i smell a douche bag

22. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 17:24 CreamyBlood

"We here at GameCock will do all we can to deliver more bang... for your buck. So you can feel confident that when you buy our Product.... you will not have blown your money. Our Product does not and will not suck. And our Support Staff will literally bend over backwards, to get those bugs fixed asap.... should the need arise!

Here at GameCock... we can`t be beat!"

Good one!

21. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 16:40 nin

I've heard of the Gamecocks.

It's just even *more* stupid as a gaming company name.

Exactly...

If you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be? http://www.nin.com

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

20. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 16:21 MeatForce

He also claims that his reputation has been damaged, and that he "has suffered shame, humiliation and mental anguish."

Hmmm.... sounds to me like he could have been reading a Derek Smart post and became disoriented.

-----
I actually get paid for this..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

19. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 15:59 Kevlar

I've heard of the Gamecocks.

It's just even *more* stupid as a gaming company name.

18. Re: lol Jun 3, 2005, 15:43 Quboid

Wow Zeph, that's some good RTFAing right there!

If the book says he basically stole money and he didn't, he's every right to be miffed. Not sure what took 2 years mind.

Quboid

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

17. No subject Jun 3, 2005, 15:11 Crossbone

I take it there are no college sports fans here, otherwise you would have heard the name Gamecocks before.
http://www.uscsports.com/

16. Re: lol Jun 3, 2005, 14:40 Overon

Can anyone quote the book that alleges that Wilson used shady business tactics? The trouble with libel lawsuits is that most don't go anywhere because you have to show actual damages. I guess he can blame is failures on the book that's been out for 2 fucking years!

15. Re: lol Jun 3, 2005, 14:27 Zephalephelah

If the fuckass would make a good game he wouldn't have to sue people for changing an "E" to an "O".

What a pathetic piece of dried cum on a whore's bed.

14. lol Jun 3, 2005, 13:53 Shataan

"We here at GameCock will do all we can to deliver more bang... for your buck. So you can feel confident that when you buy our Product.... you will not have blown your money. Our Product does not and will not suck. And our Support Staff will literally bend over backwards, to get those bugs fixed asap.... should the need arise!

Here at GameCock... we can`t be beat!"

13. Re: No subject Jun 3, 2005, 13:51 mystery8

Lectane - Check out pages 250 & 251 in the book.

QUOTE: "And they had discovered some problems: without the owners' knowledge, Wilson had borrowed company money to buy a new BMW."

With a name like "Gamecock Media Group", I agree with the "This is a publicity stunt" crowd. Remember, this is the guy that gave us "John Romero's going to make you his bitch."

More frivalous lawsuits clogging up the courts.

12. Re: COO Jun 3, 2005, 13:31 JediLuke

what the hell is COO?typo?

Chief Operating Officer

Or is it Cave of Ordeal?

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=COO

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 13:31.

http://stevegoldbergmusic.com

11. Wait Jun 3, 2005, 13:14 Creston

This is gaming news, why?

Creston

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo