Army Ranger: Mogadishu Announced

This Groove Games Press Release announces Army Ranger: Mogadishu, a first-person shooter based on the U.S. actions in Somalia in 1993 that lead to the battle depicted in the book and movie Black Hawk Down. The project is in development at Jarhead Games with a release date of June 14, 2005. The Army Ranger: Mogadishu Website and product page are both online, and here's a bit on the game:
You are the commanding officer of a squad of Army Rangers, the highly trained special operations force of the United States military. Deployed into Somalia for operation Task Force Ranger, you take part in the events leading up to the historic firefight of October 3, 1993. Many military experts refer to these events as "the most intense and prolonged firefight involving American forces since the Vietnam War".

Command your Army Rangers during direct action operations including the protection of shipments, defending HQ from mortar attacks, arresting key officials, rescuing hostages, and destroying key enemy facilities.
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Or...
Jun 1, 2005, 18:42
Kxmode

Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 18:42
Jun 1, 2005, 18:42
 Kxmode

you dont like it move to Canada you pussies.

You bash my statement about proving your manhood in real combat and you have the gull to call me that. You jest... retard.

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

No subject
Jun 1, 2005, 16:54
Prez

No subject Jun 1, 2005, 16:54
Jun 1, 2005, 16:54
 Prez

Well, I am glad to be talking to someone who has the maturity to avoid flame wars - they are few and far between on these boards. (For the record, you ARE better than Hudson in this regard, imho.) I respectfully withdraw from this debate, as it appears we really have no quarrel with one another.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 1, 2005, 16:13
Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 16:13
Jun 1, 2005, 16:13

I can agree with you there, i have a "testy" personality when it comes to certain things, as you put it. I tend to consider it opinionated, but that's just me. I do my best, however, to keep the name-calling to a minimum and will never make personal assumptions about someone when trying to uphold my side of an argument. I'm also a big fan of satire -- the more sarcastic and cynical, the better. Maybe i am no better than him, but that's not really up to me to decide, and is most likely relative to the stance the reader takes on all of this. I'm just saying what i want to say, because i feel i have to, nothing more and nothing less.

Jun 1, 2005, 14:53
Prez

Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 14:53
Jun 1, 2005, 14:53
 Prez

FYI I am not defending him. I am making my own points. I am not an apologist for anyone. I did agree with the part about the anti-american jabs. I speak for myself in this, not anyone else. For someone with 'much less of a temper', you sure can get testy.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 1, 2005, 14:29
Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 14:29
Jun 1, 2005, 14:29

Still, it gets kind of tiring to continuously get drawn into bitter political arguments when all your here to do is talk about games.
It was totally your choice to get involved. Neither me nor him was holding a gun to your head telling you to post. Oh, notice how i also made a comment on their pitiful lack of player shadows? It wasn't just a political jab, but a game jab as well. One i feel was perfectly relevant given the laughable description of it all.

And honestly, if a game was made where you played Iraqi insurgents hell-bent on killing US marines or something, do you think the Hudson fan club would just calmly ignore a blues post about it? I've got much less of a temper than that guy, and look how he reacted to me, a mere blues poster. What do you think his reaction would be to an entire video game?

Also, who said anything about memorial day? Hudson doesn't mention any of that in his post. That's an assumption on your part, one that i don't even think he cares about. I'm sure he'd have posted that no matter what day it was. And hey, while you may think it's offensive for me to make a comment like that so close to memorial day, i think it's offensive for him to make the comments he made 7 days a week, 365 days a year. So -- seriously -- save it. He's got no room to argue if he's going to post bullshit like that.

Jun 1, 2005, 03:49
Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 03:49
Jun 1, 2005, 03:49

Heh Blue is too nice, this should have read:

"a first-person shooter based on the U.S. actions in Somalia in 1993 that lead to the battle depicted in the book and movie and game Black Hawk Down".

Snore.

Me I'm always up for a game where i can tag ragheads with fucking helicopters

I assume you're joking, but if not I think I saw you on Jerry Springer once. You were the guy with the red neck, right?

Jun 1, 2005, 02:14
Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 02:14
Jun 1, 2005, 02:14

ROFL!

---
America, FXXK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother fXXking day yeah!
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Jun 1, 2005, 01:55
Prez

Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 01:55
Jun 1, 2005, 01:55
 Prez

I probably should of been clearer, Squirrel. I agreed with the first part of his post. The second was, I think, intentionally inflammatory to illustrate his frustration - the jabs at the military DO seem a little inappropriate so close to Memorial Day. Still, it gets kind of tiring to continuously get drawn into bitter political arguments when all your here to do is talk about games. Admittedly it's an open forum, so I guess anything goes. I for one am not going to get all political here. That, I can do in other forums in which the political bickering is a tad more pertinent. No offense taken from me, I hope!

- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 1, 2005, 01:31
Re: Or... Jun 1, 2005, 01:31
Jun 1, 2005, 01:31

Yeah Prez, this is guy i'd choose to defend:

Me I'm always up for a game where i can tag ragheads with fucking helicopters

Fact is, for each of us posting our poorly disguised jabs at the military, there's 2 more guys out there like Hudson who make no secret about their feelings for us "terrorist lovers" and enjoying a good game where he "can tag ragheads with fucking helicopters."

When assholes like you fall off the face of the earth, Hudson, we'll stop posting. Till then, DEAL WITH IT. You don't like it, you can ignore it, or you can argue it back and forth with us like we always do --- because this is exactly the kind of reaction i love getting out of people like you. Thanks for the post, cowboy. Good game.

May 31, 2005, 23:20
Sty
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 23:20
May 31, 2005, 23:20
Sty

21June05

May 31, 2005, 22:59
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 22:59
May 31, 2005, 22:59

This reminds me... when is BF2 suppposed to be out?

---
...i am still inside here. a little bit comes bleeding through... -nin
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

May 31, 2005, 22:41
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 22:41
May 31, 2005, 22:41

Yeah, Im not saying the game map should be complete crap, that's for sure.

It's too bad building mods these days is nearly impossible. Counter Strike Source would make a good "black hawk down" multiplayer game with few changes.

---
...i am still inside here. a little bit comes bleeding through... -nin
--

May 31, 2005, 22:21
Prez

Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 22:21
May 31, 2005, 22:21
 Prez

I would have said it a bit more tactfully than Pvt. Hudson, but he's got a point. Why does a thread on a PC game forum about a military tactical shooter always need to devolve into poorly disguised jabs at the U.S and its military? The vast majority of us did not come here to squabble about political leanings.

- Mahatma Gandhi

May 31, 2005, 21:21
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 21:21
May 31, 2005, 21:21

you fucking morons need to keep your anti american sentiments and terrorist loving rhetoric off these fucking boards.

you dont like it move to Canada you pussies. Me I'm always up for a game where i can tag ragheads with fucking helicopters

This comment was edited on May 31, 21:22.

May 31, 2005, 18:37
Sty
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 18:37
May 31, 2005, 18:37
Sty

Having said that, you can't compare a video game to the real thing in any situation. Especially if you were at the Mog, your memory is going to over-power anything that can be represented digitally. Surely some people come closer than others, but still, I think you just have to try to enjoy the game for what it is.

With all the love and detail thrown into the tons of WWII games flooding the market, why isn't it okay to expect some semblance of an accurate depiction? Close Combat series used aerial photos for creating their maps, BF1942 had close (albeit arcadish) map layouts to real battlefields, BiA rendered actual areas of France, etc. Hell, Pterodon's team flew from the Czech Republic to Vietnam to gain an accurate depiction of Vietnam for Vietcong.

I'm not talking a complete digital reenactment, but comeon... I venture outside their "Mog" (jamming a bunch of buildings together, which is fine) and am standing in the middle of a desert. Sand as far as the eye can see in every direction. How hard is it to slap an ocean next to it? lol You can get to a middle ground between fun and accurate. It's been done many times already. I just wish more attention would have been paid than NovaLogic slapping their brand on it. IMHO.

Re: No subject
May 31, 2005, 18:16
Re: No subject May 31, 2005, 18:16
May 31, 2005, 18:16

Did Delta Force: BHD even have artificial intelligence?

Did any of NovaLogic's games have any artificial intelligence?

---------------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

May 31, 2005, 17:51
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 17:51
May 31, 2005, 17:51

These soldiers are apparently so well-trained they can actually eliminate the shadows produced by their bodies! Wait, is that Pat Tillman i see over there? Fire!

May 31, 2005, 17:06
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 17:06
May 31, 2005, 17:06

Wow, another military/anti-terrorist shooter... they're trying really hard to make us accept da NEW WORLD ORDER when it comes!

etc

Looks like HL
May 31, 2005, 16:36
Looks like HL May 31, 2005, 16:36
May 31, 2005, 16:36

Looks like a medicore Half-Life mod here. Shame, as with some snazzy graphics, and awesome gameplay, I would be all over this.

May 31, 2005, 16:28
Re: Or... May 31, 2005, 16:28
May 31, 2005, 16:28

Why don't you just sign up for the United States Army and get your ass shipped over to Iraq
, along with a pre-paid First Class return flight in a flag draped coffin.

By all means watch the film Black Hawk Down and witness the insanity of "leaders" who are willing to piss away the lives of OTHER people for some meaningless political agenda.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older